[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important was Steve Jobs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 18
File: steve_jobs.jpg (886 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
steve_jobs.jpg
886 KB, 5000x5000
How important was Steve Jobs?
>>
It wasnt
>>
File: orangoutan.jpg (25 KB, 579x329) Image search: [Google]
orangoutan.jpg
25 KB, 579x329
>>45277288
>it
>>
>>45277228
Literally who?
>>
He invented PCs and smartphone, so that was pretty important
>>
>>45277228
He didn't do any actual computer programming, but these menial tasks he left to others. He was the visionary, the inventor. He came up with all the ideas and he had others implement them, which they did reluctantly because his ideas were so revolutionary when he came up with them. When he invented the mouse, the engineers couldn't fathom why anyone would ever need such a device. The keyboard had 120 buttons and the mouse only had one! That was commonplace for Steve Jobs, whose zen approach to life and background in design let him come up with technical ideas that nobody had ever considered before him.
>>
>>45277288
>it

Hahaha
>>
>>45277228

>tfw I read that as

>how impotent was Steve Jobs?

probably a better question.
>>
File: IMG_0402.png (141 KB, 777x518) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0402.png
141 KB, 777x518
>>45277338
>invented the mouse

this is bait
>>
>>45277228
>>45277338
Steve Jobs was a technically clueless businessman who stressed form over function in the design of his products and extended the paradigm of consumerism to computers.
>>
>>45277228
Way more than /g/ would care to admit.
He's like Obama to the Republicans.

>>45277303
The guy who makes you remember who Dennis Ritchie was.
>>
>>45277366
>>45277369
Stop responding to it. Stop it.
>>
>>45277380
>Around 1981 Xerox included mice with itsXerox Star, based on the mouse used in the 1970s on the Alto computer atXerox PARC.Sun Microsystems,Symbolics,Lisp MachinesInc., andTektronixalso shipped workstations with mice, starting in about 1981. Later, inspired by the Star,Apple Computerreleased theApple Lisa, which also used a mouse. However, none of these products achieved large-scale success. Only with the release of theApple Macintoshin 1984 did the mouse see widespread use.[65]

>The Macintosh design,[66]commercially successful and technically influential, led many other vendors to begin producing mice or including them with their other computer products (by 1986,Atari ST,Amiga,Windows 1.0,GEOSfor theCommodore 64, and theApple IIGS).[67]
>>
>>45277366
>>45277419
Well, we could argue all night who created the first primitive mouse-like pointer. What is a fact though is that the computer mouse as we know it today was invented by apple, largely by Steve Jobs' initiative. Mac OS X is also the first Unix system achieving widespread success among consumer computers. In a sense, you could say that Apple, or rather Steve Jobs personally (Since the development of OSX started at NeXT) introduced Unix to the mainstream audience.
>>
>>45277327
He didn't invent the smartphone though
>>
File: 200_s.gif (51 KB, 389x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
51 KB, 389x200
>>45277465
trying this hard
>>
>>45277465
What's funny is that there are people who actually believe this. I know you don't, but you have to pretend that you do, and I understand that.
>>
Windows might be pretty fucking terrible if Apple wasn't around.
>>
you now realise this is how religions start
>>
File: 182fwz3t2h5cljpg.jpg (90 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
182fwz3t2h5cljpg.jpg
90 KB, 300x450
>>
File: steve-jobs-vs-dennis-ritchie.jpg (88 KB, 540x728) Image search: [Google]
steve-jobs-vs-dennis-ritchie.jpg
88 KB, 540x728
>>
>>45277568
>Windows might be pretty fucking terrible
>might be
AHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>45277579
Nah. Religions start when people rise from the grave. Jobs is taking his sweet time with that.
>>
>>45277616
religions start when some idiots claims that an ordinary man did something extraordinary that he did not

like invent computers
>>
>>45277228
who?
>>
File: Jesus-39813360990.jpg (19 KB, 298x374) Image search: [Google]
Jesus-39813360990.jpg
19 KB, 298x374
>>45277626
Like flying, eh?
>>
>>45277614
>implying people enjoy using unix or C
>>
File: RDlfY00.png?1.png (148 KB, 1002x1002) Image search: [Google]
RDlfY00.png?1.png
148 KB, 1002x1002
>>45277655
>implying people enjoy bend phones
>>
>>45277228
GET OUT
>>
>>45277655
Anon posted on his computer running software written in C or a C-derived language, on an OS based on UNIX or concepts introduced by UNIX.
>>
>>45277614
to be fair, Ritchie died when he was already retired.
Jobs still had a really important role in his company. Has apple come up with anything noteworthy since Jobs' death?
>>
>>45277771
>>
>>45277722
i realize that you are trying to discredit my opinion somehow, but it really doesn't follow. i'm sitting in a chair made of wood, but that doesn't mean that because it supports my weight that it couldn't be better.
in other words, yes, the c language has been immensely useful and and produced great quantities for useful things, but it does have its limitations.
young developers are generally loathe to use c or any of its directives, for many reasons, and great progress has been made to replace C with more modern languages.
my point still stands. people don't enjoy unix (system d?) or C (rust, D, java, etc).
>>
>>45277796
Dennis Ritchie- Innovator and pioneer
Steve jobs – Used car salesman doing consumer electronics.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelhumphrey/2011/10/14/the-inevitable-steve-jobs-vs-dennis-ritchie-discussion/
>>
>>45277796
"The Unix operating system … serves as the foundation of operating systems, like Apple’s iOS, in consumer computing devices."
>>
>>45277465
>the computer mouse as we know it today was invented by apple
If they had their way we would've had mice with only one button... Oh, and he didn't invent the mouse. Wikipedia your facts first.
>>
Everytime I see a "what if x didn't exist" thread, I see people not understanding Chaos Theory or the Butterfly Effect.

If Steve Jobs didn't exist, the world would be vastly different.
>>
>>45277853
that's true

i'd say even more so if dennis didn't exist, though
>>
I know this isn't related to how important he is, but I fell over a bunch of cool stories the other day.
http://www.quora.com/What-are-some-great-stories-about-Steve-Jobs
It's worth reading at least some of them.
>>
>>45277827
>>45277842
you're confusing statement as an endorsement of one person, which i am not doing. i don't idolize one person over another, as you are doing with richie. if you'd read my statement in earnest, you'd realize that there is truth in it outside the worship of one person
>>
>>45277228
He invented a new method of firing employees, it was called steving. If you got steved, it meant you got fired in one second, if you met him in an elevator and he didn't like that you didn't share his vision (lel).

Basically everyone at Applel was shitting their pants if they saw Jobs approaching them. They didn't even want to have lunch on the same table with him.

So, you could say he kept them on their toes. Now that their CEO is a homosexual, everyone is more relaxed. I mean, who would fear a guy who takes it up his ass.
>>
>>45277881
That's given since Dennis existed couple decades earlier in timeline than Steve Jobs.
>>
>>45277288
>it
:^)
>>
>>45277465
This is how religions start

>steve jobs introduced one of the worst OSes (next to linux+gnushit) in history to the mainstream

I have to go back in time and kill this faggot
>>
> he was involved significantly in developing the first actually usable (for non-techies) GUI

> later on, he was very good at selecting certain ideas, merging them and creating new types or specific types of existing devices, creating entire new markets as he went along (tablets) or creating more competition in them (multitouch smartphones, high-def displays, music players, ultrabooks, etc)

that's pretty much objectively it.
>>
>>45277915
what i mean is, dennis's contributions have a more basic and prevalent affect on the world (how many things rely on UNIX and C? seriously?)
jobs and apple largely keep to themselves, i'm not even sure that jobs not existing would have changed a great deal overall
>>
>>45277338
>invented the mouse
My fucking sides. This is cult level material.
>>
Steve Jobs was really good at marketing, nothing else. He has gotten credit from a lot of stuff that he shouldn't. Everything that Apple did is pretty much credited to Jobs, because he is seen more of a cult figure; icon of innovation, when he just marketed existing ideas more aggressively to mainstream than anyone else did. Only thing he as innovative was promoting user-friendly interfaces
>>
Is this true:

>Givens recalled one day when a secretary was late, and Jobs demanded to know why.
“(She was a) single mom, good secretary,” Givens said. “She said, ‘My car wouldn’t start.’ So, that afternoon, (Jobs) walks into her office, throws a set of keys to a brand new Jaguar and says, ‘Here, don’t be late anymore.’ He was always doing things like that, surprising people.”

The dude was kind of nuts.
>>
>>45277944
while it's true that C is ubiquitous ritchie, like jobs, are just catalysts. if they hadn't existed, someone else would have eventually done what they did.

<something like C> being there is important, C specifically isn't important. ritchie is definitely a great scientist but he didn't foresee the next 50 years of computing development. there's a lot of chance involved.

ritchie was a software engineering visionary, jobs was a makro-level GUI / industrial design visionary.

>>45277967
yeah it's bs but it's true that apple first made proper use of the mouse as a device with the introduction of the lisa

>>45278011
daily reminder microsoft has a way bigger marketing budget than apple, and has had forever.
> only thing he did is user friendly interfaces
that's a pretty big thing considering without those it's hard to use a computer, if it's hard to use a computer, they won't be used commonly, there's no market, no competition, no lots of software being developed for lots of purposes, etc, etc. you opinion is myopic.
>>
>>45277614
>No one remembers John McCarthy
>>
>>45277944
Dennis surely has large world impact, but his is more subtle than Steve Jobs. Without Steve Jobs to "steal" GUI from xerox, the world wouldn't have Windows GUI. Without Steve Jobs to push Woz into selling his stuff, the world wouldn't get Macs. Without Steve Jobs, the Apple company wouldn't exist. Apple is a ~500 billion dollar industry, the world's largest company. Its got huge sway in many people's life directly.

C came out in '72. There were already couple dozen programming languages in existence before C. Lisp is one of them. Pascal existed, etc. Without C, UNIX would either have stayed in assembly or it would have moved to LISP or something else. Functionality of UNIX would still exist fine, just not the C. We won't have C++ and instead of C/C++/C#/etc, we'd be stuck with LISP/Prolog/Pascal and their new derivatives.
>>
File: 1401950430181.jpg (32 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1401950430181.jpg
32 KB, 460x345
A lot. For Tech Illiterate people. :)
>>
>>45277793
Quite the contrary
>>
Holly shit

>When engineers working on the very first iPod completed the prototype, they presented their work to Steve Jobs for his approval. Jobs played with the device, scrutinized it, weighed it in his hands, and promptly rejected it. It was too big.

>The engineers explained that they had to reinvent inventing to create the iPod, and that it was simply impossible to make it any smaller. Jobs was quiet for a moment. Finally he stood, walked over to an aquarium, and dropped the iPod in the tank. After it touched bottom, bubbles floated to the top.

>"Those are air bubbles," he snapped. "That means there's space in there. Make it smaller."
>>
>>45278113
He's got a point. He has a point. A CEO that actually cares about their product is a god damn good ceo imo.

Also Bill Gates does same thing too with his Windows stuff.

>http://www.geekwire.com/2014/heres-real-bill-gates-windows-installation-debacle/
>>
>One of my friends did an internship at Apple. Apparently Apple has a day where the interns get to meet Steve Jobs (this was obviously a few years back) and ask him questions. Two questions that were asked stuck in her mind:

>1. "What do you wish for the most?"

>Steve Jobs: "I wish people would stop asking me stupid questions."

>2. "What do you do in your free time?"

>Steve Jobs: "I fuck my wife."
>>
>>45278175
noice
>>
>>45278134
It's too bad a lot of Microsoft stuff still has usability problems
>>
>>45277796
>i'm sitting in a chair made of wood, but that doesn't mean that because it supports my weight that it couldn't be better.

No it means be thankful some people worked on all the processes necessary to avoid you to make your own shitty chair. If someone makes those processes much better then we'll be thankful to him too but until then, people enjoying it or not is irrelevant.

Everything can be made better that's the whole point of technical and technological evolution : you are not making any point when you say "implying people enjoy using unix or C"
>>
>>45277369
>Steve Jobs was a technically clueless
Well that's just not true, sure he got other people to do the real work but he knew a thing or two himself.

>>45277465
The mouse was popularized by apple, that's Jobs real talent, he was one hell of salesman.

Possibly the greatest salesman of our time.
>>
>I first met Steve in a humanities seminar at Reed College. We were discussing the Parthenon frieze, and Steve told me my opinion was full of shit. This seventeen-year-old with the shock of scruffy hair, who looked like he had been sleeping on a couch (which he probably was), told me that if I wanted to understand art, I needed to get out in the world.

lel
>>
young steve jobs looks a lot like dougan ashley
>>
>>45277228

Thanks to him *BSD is not dead
>>
>>45278448
if somebody had slapped the taste out of his mouth right there, we would all be enjoying 100 dollar iphones
>>
>>45277228
Doesn't he look a lot like Ashton Kutcher?
>>
>>45277614
>Until he was adopted for programming threads, the only reason Ritchie's name was ever brought up around here.
>>
>>45277914
>If you got steved, it meant you got fired in one second, if you met him in an elevator and he didn't like that you didn't share his vision (lel).

Everyone tells that story, yet not one person has come to light that actually experienced that.
>>
>>45277228
>How important was Steve Jobs?
For what?

Technically speaking not a lot.

For driving innovation, well, he sure was one of the most relevant persons who shape society
>>
>>45277342
He had a child
Checkm8 muslims
>>
>>45277614
poor him, they comparasion is like thomas edison vs nikola tesla
>>
File: proper-use-of-a-thinkpad.gif (3 MB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
proper-use-of-a-thinkpad.gif
3 MB, 300x220
>>45277683
>Lenovo has been a bend-enabled device for longer
>No shits were given
>>
>>45278943
>So strong he has to attack it on the weakest point

step up
>>
>>45277925
>I have to go back in time and kill this faggot
While you're at it, make sure Stallman never hurts his knee. Maybe if he doesn't stop dancing we won't have to deal with autistic philosophy.
>>
>>45278984
not only that, he had to push it against the edge of the desk

anyone could snap a laptop that way
>>
>>45279019
>>45278984
thinkpad defense force in full damage control
>>
File: first-mouse.jpg (35 KB, 450x322) Image search: [Google]
first-mouse.jpg
35 KB, 450x322
>>45277465
he saw a Xerox then made it cheep
and as normal left the detail to some one else

mice are just rsi waiting to happen
>>
>>45279019
Prove it.
Timestamp required.
>>
File: Damage_Control_Vol_3_1.jpg (73 KB, 397x603) Image search: [Google]
Damage_Control_Vol_3_1.jpg
73 KB, 397x603
>>45279019
>>45278984
>>
Get out
>>
File: Andy-Rubin.jpg (22 KB, 404x304) Image search: [Google]
Andy-Rubin.jpg
22 KB, 404x304
reminder, this handsome guy will be forgotten by time
>>
>>45279205
literally who?
>>
>>45277228
Nice beard. I'm going to grow one hope it looks as good.
>>
>>45278175
Couldn't fault his honesty
>>
Not sure why everyone perpetuates the meme that Steve Jobs didn't know how to program. He grew up hanging out at HP and writing toy BASIC and APL programs on their boxes. We can discern from this that he was at least as knowledgable as the average /g/ poster. A low bar for sure, but nevertheless.
>>
>>45278533
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgpEuCUm6SE
>>
he was last straight homosex
>>
>>45278035
>yeah it's bs but it's true that apple first made proper use of the mouse as a device with the introduction of the lisa
It's false. GUI were used previously at Xerox labs.
>>
Dennis Ritchie was more important than steve jobs and died the same year, no one gave a shit.
He invented UNIX and ofcourse you faggots love C too3
>>
File: feelsbad.jpg (2 MB, 3538x3424) Image search: [Google]
feelsbad.jpg
2 MB, 3538x3424
>>45280118
>no one gave a shit.
I did
>>
>>45280118
>>45280363

Me too :(
>>
>>45277616
Religions start when simple people start asking big questions
>>
He is the greatest marketer of all time. Even he himself was part of the branding. I mean the fact that anyone looks up to him when he was THE stereotypical asshole CEO fixing employee wages, parking in handicap spaces, and bullying not just his own employees but whole other companies if they didn't suck up is a marketing miracle in itself.
>>
>>45277228
Very important for consumer electronics and designer brand technology.

Do you know anyone who doesn't know what Apple is? Do you know anyone who can't spot an Apple product a mile away?
>>
Jobs was the Albert Einstein of our times.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.