[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laptop General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
Laptop General, I guess?
I'm looking for advice in buying a laptop for university graphics/photography classes
What I mean by that is that it should run photoshop and illustrator smoothly, as those are the main programs I use.
>inb4 a thinkpad general exists you fucktard
yeah, I know, but I'm not sure I want a thinkpad (I'm not saying I absolutely don't want one, though)

Oh, it should be available in italy
>>
>>44322703
anything with an i3 or better with 8GB of RAM for your shitty bloated programs
>>
>>44322703
Find something with an 870m or 880m I guess? Or build a much cheaper desktop and remote in from whatever you want I suppose.
>>
>>44322781
That's a really good option that I didn't think of. I'll consider it

>>44322766
Any advice on specific models? Or even makers? Is Acer as shitty as they say?
>>
>>44322802
It is. Go for an asus or high end dell, or a Mac.
>>
>>44322833
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have to stay under 600€, a Macbook would have been my first choice too.
I'll look into Dell though, never tried one
>>
File: 1411288031542.jpg (21 KB, 339x343) Image search: [Google]
1411288031542.jpg
21 KB, 339x343
I bought a laptop with these specs:
i3 2.4Ghz
500Gb Hdd
4GB Ram
GT 635m gfx
Fucking hated it. It's sitting next to my thinkpad atm, and I'm trying to sell it.

Believe me when I say, don't buy cheap shit laptops, waste of money. If you actually need one, get one with at the very least 8GB ram and a quad-core processor.

Unless its a thinkpad of course.
>>
>>44322850
I'm honestly not sure how Dell's consumer models are. Their higher end latitudes and precisions are the decent ones, and their pretty pricey new. From experience on a budget, asus is the way to go. I just bought my wife the absolute cheapest model they had at like $200 and it's solid as a rock, same as their midrange deals I looked at at my local tech showroom. Most other manufacturers all had floppy hinges, and I hate that shit.
>>
>>44322892
I'm very well aware that laptops are shit, I had one in the past and it sucked dicks even though it was considered high-end... unfortunately it's my only option here, that's why I'm asking you guys instead of buying another shitty piece of crap
>>44322929
Did the build quality improve from a few years ago? A friend of mine owned a sandy bridge laptop and it felt like very cheap plastic
>>
>>44322953
Forgot to specify that it was a sandy bridge Asus laptop
>>
>>44322970
It's still plastic, but almost anything new in your price range will be. To it's credit, it feels fairly durable and unlike the cheap ass samsung chromebook she had before, it might survive a couple drops.

Your best bet is going to be to go to whatever tech stores you've got over there and seeing what you can live with though.
>>
>>44323075
Yeah I guess I'll check the local deals before buying one online. If I don't find anything interesting there I'll get an Asus, I guess.
>>
>>44322703
>I'm looking for advice in buying a laptop for university graphics/photography classes

MacBook pro or air. Not joking the photoshop and illustrator runs faster on OSX because damn openCL. DXO and Capture One software when exporting multiple file is really quick too.
>>
Just posted asking in another thread, but will ask here too

Someone mentioned Mythlogic laptops and I checked them out and saw they have a 13.3" model with an optional 3200x1800 resolution screen, anyone know any similar options besides a Mac?

However I don't know how Macs deal with these resolutions, would everything look fine under Gentoo/Arch or would everything be tiny?
>>
File: IMG_20140923_100758.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140923_100758.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Just purchased a Asus C200MA-DS01 last week, a real pleasure to use.

Such nice little laptop to carry around.
>>
Your options are either to get a quite portable MacBook or a fuckhuge powerhouse of a desktop replacement.

I'm sporting an Asus g750jz, the model with 880m and it runs everything smoothly.
Photoshop,Mangastudio,Flash etc..But it's very big, and heavy.

So take a look at the gaming laptops, they are pretty good.
Also their cooling beats Macs easily.
Just not those slim things, they are a terrible idea.
They heat up like crazy.
Something that's going to become an issue when actually pushing these machines.

Don't know that much about Macs, but their GPU's are shit in comparison to Windows gayming PCs.
OSX probably is better optimized for the art field than Windows.
Also Cintiq works way better with Macs than with Windows.
So if you'll be using one, Mac will probably save you a lot of trouble.

http://www.slrlounge.com/apple-vs-asus-premiere-cs6-performance-speed-test/
Here's a little test.
Not sure if that relevant, but might get something out of it.
>>
if you are want a gaming laptop i'd say go for the best specs under 1000 dollars or get a maxwell gpu next month.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.