[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/15/ amds-graphics-guru-de
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: raja-koduri-779x600.jpg (99 KB, 779x600) Image search: [Google]
raja-koduri-779x600.jpg
99 KB, 779x600
>http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/15/amds-graphics-guru-describes-the-march-to-full-graphics-immersion-with-16k-screens/view-all/

>AMD's designated Guru
>Raja Koduri, head of the Radeon Technologies Group

He wants to bring 16k display at 120/240hz operating under 5 watts in our life time for VR.

Is he a mad man? A designated one?
>>
Raja is one of the most talented GPU architects on the planet, I hope he isn't just whistling to AMD's soon to be defunct marketing department.
At least I believe he isn't, after RTG was made the transparency reports the public was solely lacking is pretty nice.
>>
He simply believes in the semiconductor industry thriving and allowing foundries to implement their future designs.
Imagine going back to 1980 and showing everyone an AMD Beema or intel Atom

>quad core
>64 bit
>each core is magnitudes faster than what they have
>a dozen different power states
>turbo cores
>multiple voltage islands
>per unit power gating
>voltage adaptive clocking
>specialized video decoders
>even has an IGP on die
>OpenCL acceleration
>all of this can fit in 5w~

That is legitimate future tech, and we all take it for granted today. Even modern smatphones are straight out of Star Trek, a few decades ago no one would have believed what they would evolve into. So long as there is consumer demand these markets will maintain a steady influx of revenue that they in turn reinvest into the backbone of the foundry business. Billions of dollars every year goes straight into R&D for semi conductor design, and process technology. That trend isn't going to stop any time soon.
>>
>>52477292
And what are we using that miraculous technology for?
WhatsApp and Facebook.
>>
>>52477331

Yes, we're using it to communicate with people literally thousands of km away in the blink of an eye. To learn about experiences someone we'll never have the chance or opportunity to meet has had. We'll share photos, video, and sounds of places we might never get to see, or might only happen once ever, preserving them for future generations, let alone our own amusement and amazement. We'll do shit that people in the 1980's did in weeks/months in seconds.

We'll use that miraculous technology for miraculous things.
>>
>>52477292
>they're used for chatting with people far away, sending images over the internet, reading what other people across the world have written on Facebook and Twitter, browsing the whole Internet, and not just a bastardized version of it

what a waste..
>>
>>52477331
Don't be mistaken, both applications indulge laziness and anti-personal communication, but they're both very impressive pieces of technology.
At least, their backends are, mad props to their performance teams.
>>
>>52476294
DESIGNATED
>>
>>52476294
>A poo loo is responsible for AMD's graphics department
No wonder they suck.
>>
>>52476294
>designated
>>
>>52476294
>DESIGNATED
>E
>S
>I
>G
>N
>A
>T
>E
>D
>>
>>52481101
pol please return to containment board
>>
>>52477395
Sounds pretty underwhelming
>>
>>52481544
>pol
Who?
>>
>Guru

That's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO f*cking insensitive dude
>>
File: amdthread.jpg (52 KB, 500x752) Image search: [Google]
amdthread.jpg
52 KB, 500x752
>>
>>52481544
Triggered sjw detected
>>
>>52481771
Tell that to the people of that past, they could barely imagine a world where niggers had rights
>>
>>52476294
Considering that even today's 100mW ARM GPUs (like Mali-T880) can do 4k, I don't see how it's not possible
>>
>>52477032
Is he really? I'm not familiar with GPU big names, but reading the piece he strike like a marketer more than an lead architect type.
>>
>>52476294
POO
>>
File: 1425097097392.gif (535 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1425097097392.gif
535 KB, 250x188
>>52481869
>>
>>52481544
>pol
Nah, this a is some butthurt nvidia fan boy.
>>
>>52476294
Maybe when he learns to poo in teh loo.
>>
another worthless indian male
>>
>>52477331
Say this to someone 20 years ago.
>Jesus, all the fucking normies using this unimaginably fast technology to merely talk to millions of people worldwide simultaneously, uugh, they could be doing that on hardware from five years ago, what a fucking waste!
That said, fuck normies.
>>
Are white people even trying anymore?

Indian master race!
>>
>>52477445
>mad props to their performance teams.
>whatsapp
don't make me laugh
It's literally text with the occasional picture.
>>
>>52488864
When you can poo anywhere at any time, you have more time for programming.

Bathroom breaks really are the downfall of the white man.
>>
File: 4k crisis.png (13 KB, 502x293) Image search: [Google]
4k crisis.png
13 KB, 502x293
>>52476294
I can see that happening in something like 15-25 years.
Look at how far we've progressed from the Pentium 4 or the athlon xp.
Look how far we've progressed since phones started getting smarter.

We now have high end phone processors that can match a desktop pentium.
>inb4 geekbench is shit

Performance keeps improving, and lately there's been an even higher focus on efficiency than ever before. Laptop processors are 15w instead of 35w. Quad core Intel atom was 4w iirc.

We have manufacturers fitting desktop GPUs into laptops now.

We're soon going to see 4k increase in popularity as it becomes easier for future generations of graphics cards to handle.

I can honestly see this happening in our lifetime.
>>
>We believe we’re several months ahead of this transition, especially for the notebook and the mainstream market.
>The competition is talking about chips for cars and stuff, but not the mainstream market.
shots. fired.
>>
>>52489290
Nvidia owns the mainstream market and it will continue to do so
They consider Microsoft and Sony to be more a treat that AMD. AMD's reputation is just too bad to ever recover, maybe in 20 years with the next generation, but the current generation will remember AMD as bad drivers bad support and coolers that sound like jet engines and the poor's man choice.
>>
>>52489326
>memes are real
>>
>>52489337
memes are born for a reason.
>>
>>52489341
>hi I'm a dumb millennial that knows nothing about tech companies or the hardware they produce I just buy what's popular cause it must be better
>>
>>52489667
This is 90% of nvidia's consumerbase.
>>
>>52489341
The memes will live on even though currently AMD is doing pretty good and nvidia is messing up with their drivers and GPUs.

It's kinda sad 2bh
>>
>>52481544
Stop fucking about during work hours Prajeet.
This $0.37 an hour won't earn itself.
>>
AMD's new polaris architecture is a game changer they complete redesigned the cores and the sheduling system not just a modified layout to efficienty pack transistors into the new 14nm finFET dies but a full reording of the shaders and ROPs and everything else.

AMD is pulling a radical upgrade greater than the change Nvidia made with maxell over kepler.

On the other hand Nvidia's endgame is Volta and the current next gen cards Pascale are a modified maxwell layout for the new 16nm process node.

Sorry to burst your bubble nvidia fanboys but AMD is about fucking suckerpunch nvidia HARD

also they are integrating an engine on chip that can record 4K, 60FPS video of your games with zero performance penalty (nvidia shadowplay is kill)

all the Streamers are going to jump ship to AMd when polaris releases so that they can get in on the ground floor for 4K streaming both natively and more commonly to record 4K and downsample to 1080p to dramatically improve the quality of video streams.

Nvidia will make comeback with Volta but pascale is a flop and essentially they are going to pack cores into a new Titan series card that will be a straight up housefire in order to barely beat AMD's next fury in the synthetic benchmarks by a few FPS and use the prestige of "worlds fastest GPU" combined with paid shills like Linus in order to sell their lower tier cards that people will actually buy and they will all suck dick compared to an equivalent Polaris GPU

downside is once AMD established its GPU's are top dog there will be a run on the market and price gouging will set in like it did with the furyX
>>
>>52490322
Well, let's hope so, we need some serious competition, and Nvidia's current cards are really meh-tier technologically.

That said, I'll believe it when I bench it. AMD has a way of fucking up perfectly good things.
>>
>>52490322
t. pandeep kumaharaibandoa
>>
>>52490322
I've no idea what changes they've made to their rendering backends, but its probably just generational. They've made constant small adjustments in their APUs. The 4x16 SIMD isn't changing though, that will stay forever. What is changing inside the center of the CU itself is the scalar processor. This is a pretty revolutionary.
There is a whitepaper on it that goes into great detail.
>>
>>52490322
You're going to be really upset when Polaris comes out, dude.
>>
>>52490355

To be honest the upset in the GPU market wont be nearly as huge as the upset in the mobile CPU market

With Zen AMD with have a haswell equivalent CPU architecture with new featuresets over haswell. Matched against the latest intel Desktop class CPU's this wont mean much but where the upset happens is in lower power mobile chips with Onboard Graphics processors. An AMD APU on 14nm FinFET with the latest Polaris GPU architecture and finally a new Zen CPU architecture with a high enough IPC and single-thread performance to feed it AMD now has an integrated chip that will annihilate Intels iGPUs.

This is the major market because these New APUs will go into unltraslim notebooks, Tablets. hell an AMD APU might even show up in a smart-phone.

that is where AMD will tear marketshare away from intel and thats what will cause their stock price to skyrocket.

seriously buy AMD stock I invested my entire savings back when it hit its lowest point and it went up so much i have already made enough profit to retire early. polaris will see stock go up a little then Zen a little more and then when Zen/Polaris based APU's release it will go up so much I will be able to live on a goddamn beach for the rest of my life.
>>
>>52490322
>>52490459
FINFET DUDE LMAO
>>
>>52490459
The APU is called Raven Ridge, and you're right in thinking that its a pretty big deal.
AMD can finally do what they've always wanted to do with the concept. The IGP isn't an entry level equivalent being bottlenecked by slow memory any more.
>>
>>52490370
they are redesigning the scalar to drive frames at extreme resolutions because they want to lock down the VR market. That is the future People will not look at a screen and a desktop OS anymore they will put on a VR headset with extreme resolution and high framerates with a HDR-color screen and the desktop with be a 360 degree interactive virtual repository of all their tools and information.

that is the future and AMD is building their architecture around that.
>>
For some years now all I hear from AMD is just talk, talk, talk. Put some upscale product or shut the fuck up.
The fact that they have a curry nigger representing them doesn't increase my confidence.
>>
>>52490490

on mobile chips the CPU performance is minor compared to the graphics performance. Ergo as long as an AMD CPU is in the ballpark of intel performance and AMD graphics performance is better than equivalent intel graphics at an given power envelope they have the fundamentally better product for gaming, graphics design, multimedia on low power tablets and the like

and the mobile market is the larget market and the largest growing market so having the better product and more in demand product for those devices is what will affect AMD's bottom line

them building better desktop GPU's and mobile GPU variants for gaming laptops is just a nice side benefit.
>>
>>52490541

Their polaris GPU's release in the summer of this year so I will be happy to make you eat your words you racist virgin
>>
>>52476294

What I'm surprised with is that no one fucking mentions HDR screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvD37UUcdIo
>>
DESIGNATED MADMAN

but knowing computers, it's quite likely to happen.
>>
I can't help but have a "It's shit until proven good" mentality. Fuck giving in to hype. I have been let down so, so so many times :(
>>
>>52490555
>n-next gen will show you guys

I've heard this shit coming from AMD to many times faggot. I'll believe it when I'll see it.
>>
>>52490576
>measuring the power
for desktopfags this'll shut up the power consumption meme.

For heavy computing in datacenters where instructions per watt is relevant it'll hurt Nvidia. AMD going for the professional market.
>>
>>52490605
Nothing makes amd shills more angry than what you're doing right now. Misinformation is all they have and you're taking that away.
>>
>>52490576
https://youtu.be/hvD37UUcdIo?t=4m44s

[current year]
>>
>>52490605
>>52490630
AMD has consistently delivered outstanding technology time and time again, they usually just hit major roadbumps.
They had to try and salvage something from Bulldozer, they had to deal with three generations of chips on GloFo's 32nm PD-SOI, they had to delay Kaveri a full year because of the issues with Steamroller. All things considered they've still been releasing products that serve very well in certain niches, they haven't been releasing any thing thats a serious home run which is the problem. Their latest Excavator based Carrizo APUs show the culmination of all their newly developed power saving tech, the suite of PowerTune IP they have now is massive, and its all getting baked in to their new CPUs and GPUs.
Finally AMD no longer has any fab woes because GloFo is delivering a process that Samsung developed, they've abandoned the Bulldozer family of architecture, GCN has 4 generations of refinement, the company was gutted and restructured. They've got everything lined up to actually release chips without any delays that actually deliver performance that will appeal to mass market instead of tiny niches.

AMD is a company that suffered from massive incompetence in management, and blatant corruption at times. Their foundry has always been a lagging burden, and that isn't the case at least with this 14nm node. 2016-2017 will be good for AMD.
>>
>>52490720
>completely restructured!
>we're ready to go with a designated engineer!

>first product released is a card killing driver

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3up8r2/amd_bugged_new_drivers_killed_my_gpu_and_others/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/warning-new-amd-crimson-driver-is-heating-and-killing-gpus-users-report-496867.shtml

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/218698-amd-preps-hotfix-for-radeon-crimson-video-card-fan-woes
>>
>>52490792
Your pathetic childish shitpost had literally nothing to do with what I said.
>>
>>52490810
I'm reaffirming your claims

amd kills cards
amd sells more cards
amd abandons HD 6000
amd sells sells even more cards
>>
>>52490830
HD 6000 isnt even GCN which is what theyre focusing on now
>>
>>52490830
>HD6000
4 generations old
Meanwhile, at nvidia,
>GTX 7xx
1 generation.
>>
>>52477395
>Yes, we're using it to communicate with people literally thousands of km away in the blink of an eye
Literally things we could do in the 1920 with the good 'ol telephone

Congrats anon,we really have gone far...
>>
>>52482451
>they could barely imagine a world where niggers had rights
those were good times
>>
Polaris is the largest shift architecture since GCN for AMD, it's pretty much equivalent to Nvidia adopting a unified GPU clock and then some.

But 'new' doesn't mean always good, Bulldozer was the largest shift in CPU design in since Pentium 3, but that didn't make it good.
Still, GPUs are a lot more straightforward than CPUs, so there's plenty to get hopeful for.
>>
>>52490605
What are you smoking? You're telling me Hawaii and Tahiti weren't good?
>>
>>52490459
The issue with AMD is their ability to translate their lab tech to well engineered products, it's as if they don't have any systems engineers at, and above, the chip-scale level.

They always have some good innovations, yet, by the time they put out a final product, engineering issues have hampered the performance far too much... I've always wondered if it's a consequence of how broadly they design their APU architectures, multipurpose design is certainly one of their philosophies.
>>
>>52490720
Very true. Their foundry has been blatantly incompetent, and, at least in my view, failed to deliver on very basic reliability requirements. The fact that they managed to get nearer to house fires than Fermi really evidences this; the architecture itself was not responsible for the temperatures, and looking at their own analysis, it really came down to foundry issues.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.