[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Stupid Questions Thread Why do I have to mount my partitions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: productrecall1.jpg (40 KB, 782x564) Image search: [Google]
productrecall1.jpg
40 KB, 782x564
New Stupid Questions Thread

Why do I have to mount my partitions to mount when installing arch? I understand mounting glues it to the files system, but whats going on beyond that?
>>
posted in the last thread but it died ;_;

Can someone please explain to me why haskell has a problem with this

[ do {print x; putStr "\n"} | x <- [1..10]]

it should just print the numbers 1..10 out with a new line between each
>>
>>43473027
Whats the error.
>>
>>43473061

No instance for (Show (IO()))
arising from a use of 'print'
Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Show (IO ()))
In a stmt of an interactive GHCI command: print it

I think the list comprehension has some default print that's interfering with the do statement
>>
>>43473106
Try adding deriving show to the end to turn integers into printable strings. (haskell beginner myself)
>>
>>43473143

Haskells insistence on caring about types in print functions is irritating as fuck.
>>
/g/ i need a chat client to get my pleb friends to switch to. It needs to be retard friendly (unfortunately) and accessable from phone/computer. I've looked but I can't find anything else than the facebook messanger. I tried pidgin but that doesn't really solve the core issue plus it doesn't work with muh groups. I'm out of ideas
>>
Where can I find a list of wm panels and GTK themes?
>>
File: Phablets. When Will They Learn.jpg (19 KB, 535x279) Image search: [Google]
Phablets. When Will They Learn.jpg
19 KB, 535x279
what good, cheap USB 3.0 flash drive would you guys recommend?
>>
>>43473361
>https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=GNU/Linux_ricing#Themes
>https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=GNU/Linux_ricing#Window_Managers
>>
>>43473489
Doesn't really answer much about panels
>>
Anyone know the name of the icons in pic related?
>>
>>43473756
Flattr icon. It's the BEST icon pack and I love using it
Now, why the fuck isn't ubuntu minimal installing on my 4GB SD card? It always fails on "Select software to install" and no matter what I do I can't install it. I have it partitioned usually as 1GB / and 3GB /home. I've tried experimenting with swap but it doesn't work either way.
>>
Still at babby's first programme stage. I'm trying to output pi, but it only comes out as 3. How do you change the number of significant figures?
>>
>>43473957

what language?

You may be using integers which do not allow a decimal.
>>
>>43474020
c++
>>
>>43474033

are you outputting a float or double?
>>
>>43473957
that's actually correct, what did you think it would output?
>>
File: 20140808_180624.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20140808_180624.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
This macbook only has windows on it. I want to try Ubuntu so I made a boot usb. This is all that comes up when I start up. I burnt the iso to a did and it's still just this.
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>43474351
Did you boot from the CD/USB?
>>
>>43474371
From anything I can find, for macbooks, you hold down option when you first turn it on, then anything you can boot from is shown. Like the screen will show any storage with a boot able os or os installation cd, but the screen only shows the hdd with windows installed on it.
>>
How would I set up macros and assign them to something like maybe =
>>
>>43474523
shift+=
>>
What is a good place to register a domain at? I will host the website off a Raspberry Pi but I want to have the domain be mine forever.
>>
>>43474351
you made the boot usb wrong obviously
>>
File: 3.jpg (13 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
13 KB, 420x300
How would I go about entering the computer security field?

Programs or online classes/videos to get me started?
>>
>>43473355

Whatsapp seems to be getting more popular.
>>
>>43474589
I'll try again
>>
>>43474491
The USB has to be formatted under the mac os journaled file type or whatever it's called. Had the same problem.
>>
>>43474855
Even though osx isn't on it anymore?
Can I format it inside of windows? I think I read something like that but every solution and tutorial was for osx.
>>
>>43474889
Im prettt sure the bootloader is still Mac. The only program I'm aware of is disk utility, but you removed osx. Try Google or you just might be out of luck.
>>
>>43474602
Hackforums isn't terrible if you have literally 0 idea what you're doing, just to get an idea of what people can do and how they do it (which is how you work in that field anyway)
>>
>>43472975
How can you speed up an Amazon.co.uk order?
I live in London btw.
>>
>>43475060
I placed the order on the 3rd of January 2014 and the date in green is the estimated delivery date. mfw it still hasnt been delivered.
>>
>>43473957
don't know what language you're using but you'll want to use a double or float, not an int
>>
>>43472975
Mounting your target partition makes it accessible to you for installation. if is not mounted, how are you going to out system files on it?
>>
>>43475060
Pay for expedited shipping.
>>
What's a good external hard drive brand?
>>
>>43474351
special consideration must be taken when installing to a Mac, since the Mac EFI implementation is non standard (Apple avoiding widely used standards... what else is new)
Google Ubuntu Mac or something
>>
>>43475123
Well, thats what I'm confused about. You're not copying the contents of the USB. And you can clearly use the contents of the USB without mounting - I selected the install arch thingy from the menu and was able to use partitioning tools provided. So what is it doing exactly?
>>
>>43475188
partitions can only be edited while unmounted
>>
>>43475208
So, what its just a special case gdisk can be loaded off the usb without mounting, but its just a pain in the ass to get the rest of the tools working without it?
>>
>>43475154
My Western Digital 1TB is 3 or 4 years old and still works so maybe them.
>>
>>43474574
I've used hostgator with success. there is no claiming a domain "forever". you can lease one and have the lease auto renew I think, but you can't claim infinite dibs.
>>
>>43475256
if you're running the installer from the usb then the usb is mounted, after partitioning you need to mount the disk you're installing too so that changes can be written to it
>>
>>43473383
I have a transcend branded one. Dunno the modle. Es ok.
>>
>>43475188
then I don't understand what you're asking
>>
>>43472975
That's not Dwight....
>>
>>43475188
the installation medium has it own set of tools. the installation target is a separate partition. you do things like partitioning and making the filesystem without needing to mount because they act on the block device, not the contents. at the point you need to copy system files to the target partition eg with pacman, it needs to be mounted so it knows where to put the files.
>>
How do I have php recognize a period in a query string?

$variable = "text.txt";
if ( isset($_GET[$variable]) ) {
echo "it worked";
}

When you go to ?text.txt nothing happens. If $variable is anything else, it would work.
>>
My father needs a new printer and I don't own one in my home for reference.

What's a printer in between $100 - $200 that can print several hundred text copies and uses the lowest amount of ink?

The printer needs to be able to scan, copy, and fax. Preferably wireless printer. Thanks
>>
>>43475550
brother is the standard in printers
>>
>>43475435
I think I get it, but I might have to sleep on it. It just seems a bit funny. I'd probably have to understand how the USB installer works on a very detailed level to really 'get' why mounting is needed.
>>
Can I run linux on windows?
>>
>>43475545
"text\.txt"

Try that. I don't know PHP, but it might work.
>>
>>43472975
i have a 1gb usb. what do i do with it?
>>
File: h3tik7x9.jpg (56 KB, 400x331) Image search: [Google]
h3tik7x9.jpg
56 KB, 400x331
>>43475840
This right here is an important question right here. I need this resolved NOW.
>>
File: Capture.png (58 KB, 668x376) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
58 KB, 668x376
What is an HDD Load/Cycle Count and what is it's significance?

All I've found is that it has something to do with failure rates, sometimes?

Is it better to have lower Load/Unload cycle counts?

Picture is of my newly installed Western Digital red.
>>
I don't even know what this is called but it pisses me the fuck off because it interrupts the way I write.

Libre Office -- Writer

I write a paragraph. I then move my cursor into the middle of a sentence to add some more words to the sentence. What happens is these words start erasing everything to the right of my cursor when I'd rather have it just preserve everything I've already written. It's not like in a browser where I type something and can click in the middle of a sentence to add length or a new adjective.

What is this called? I'm unsure of what formatting tool needs to be ticked or unticked.
>>
>>43475744
http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/
>>
File: HDD%20Head.jpg (29 KB, 434x276) Image search: [Google]
HDD%20Head.jpg
29 KB, 434x276
>>43475906
how many times the head(s) of the arm have been activated
>>
>>43475840
>>43475897
>I need this resolved NOW
its not that important, but if you feel that way, who am i to stop you. let me know what you come up with.
>>
>>43475970
Thanks.

So is it safe to assume that a lower cycle count is better because there is less wear on the arms?
>>
>>43475984
Yeah
>>
I am looking into a Sager laptop, anyone here had any experience with them
>>
File: 1390969134963.png (1 MB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1390969134963.png
1 MB, 1200x900
>>43476086
I've never had one but I know /g/ used to shill for them all the time
>>
>>43472975
How would I get an IRC bot to retrieve what song I'm playing? The only tutorial I found uses achrome script, and I'd prefer firefox.
>>
How would I go about changing the default shortcut keys for Windows Media Center?

I want to set the Escape key to toggle fullscreen. Can't find these options in the settings.
>>
>>43475803
I tried that, didn't work
>>
File: 1395998863450.jpg (18 KB, 460x360) Image search: [Google]
1395998863450.jpg
18 KB, 460x360
My Asus 27" lcd monitor just stopped detecting my laptops HDMI out signal after it has been working fine for 6 months. When plugged in, the laptop acts like it has connected and switches to dual monitor extended desktop mode but the monitor just says HDMI No Signal. I tried my desktop on it as well to make sure it was the monitor, same thing happened. This happened after I did a routine plugging in or unplugging (cant remember which) of the HDMI cable from my laptop while both the monitor and laptop were on. I've done this hundreds of times with no problems.

Anyone familiar with this problem and know of any fixes?
>>
Why are Gigabyte motherboards good for hackintoshes?
>>
>>43476268
I've never heard that before
>>
>>43476256
Is there different input settings for the monitor? Like multiple HDMI ports?
>>
File: testTXT.png (8 KB, 394x295) Image search: [Google]
testTXT.png
8 KB, 394x295
>>43475545
IDK what you're actually trying to do....

Do you mean in the address bar?

>>43475545

This is probably what you're looking for. You have to name the input. that variable doesn't make sense in syntax.

<?php //Test GET
if (isset($_GET['testTXT']))
{
echo "The value was submitted as: " . $_GET['testTXT'];
}
else
{
echo "Test.txt not found";

$variable = 'test.txt';

echo <<<_TEST_GET
<form method="get" action="testText.php">
<input type="hidden" name="testTXT" value="$variable" />
<input type="submit" value="Get Some Text.txt File" />
</form>
_TEST_GET;

}
?>

Notice how the $_GET collects from the name of the hidden variable I placed as name="testTXT".
I think this is what you're looking for, but if not, please let me know.
Hope this helps.
>>
File: 1393639298734.jpg (97 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1393639298734.jpg
97 KB, 1024x768
I want to upload a video to youtube, and leave a pre jewtube compression version available on my vps.

Is there any way I can upload to youtube via a direct link to the mp4 on my site? Alternatively, is there any convenient way to just upload to my vps and then upload too youtube via SSH from my vps? I'd really rather not use twice the bandwidth. I don't have a cap, but this is going to take 5 or 6 days if I have to upload it twice.

I swear to god this feature used to exist.
>>
>>43476418
Of course, since we're declaring the variable ahead of time rather than in the value attribute, you can even have someone change the variable. Like a calculation or something. Submit text for it. IDK what you need it for.
>>
iTunes a shit. What should I use instead?
>>
>>43473957
You just have to figure out what floats your boat.
>>
>>43476446
>>43476446
do you have an ipod?

Foobar is the answer, but if you must use an ipod it takes a bit of cobbling shit together to get foobar working with it. No idea if you can do that on an iphone. I've never tried.
>>
>>43476476
Nice doubles

Also, lel, FLOAT. Like floating point decimal! kek!
>>
>>43475154
consider purchasing a well reviewed external hdd case and a well reviewed hdd that fits the case, buying them seperately, and putting them together.
>>
File: Selection_001.png (53 KB, 450x435) Image search: [Google]
Selection_001.png
53 KB, 450x435
How the FUCK do I get icon preview in the Firefox file picker? I really don't want to go through my folder of cartoon pictures one by one to see what I want.

I'm on the latest Debian Wheezy and I already set my default file chooser from Nautilus to Thunar but neither of them do anything.
>>
>>43476491

I was planning on getting a new music player, maybe a sansa clip. For the time being I'm updating my library and playing through my speaker system.

Any Foobar essentials I should know?

Thanks.
>>
>>43475840
>>43475971
Keep it as a souvenir and show it to your kids when they get 1tb+ usbs
>>
>Use VPN client on Windows.
>Can use Teamviewer over LAN.
>Can't RDP to other computer over LAN.

wat
>>
>>43476565
GTK problem. Try using a patched Firefox that uses the KDE file picker.
>>
>>43476376
There are these inputs:
VGA
HDMI
DVI
Display Port

And you can cycle through them using the input select button. I've done a bunch of cycles and that doesn't seem to help. Also, I tested the VGA to get to the menu and do a reset. VGA input works but the reset didn't resolve this problem.
>>
>>43476577
find a good skin. What that is is entirely up to you.

The default skins are functional .. ish. Just don't judge it by it's cover. It is hands down the best audio player in existence if you are willing to spend a few hours setting it up.
>>
>>43476647

Excellent. Thanks again for the help.
>>
I have a really stupid question: I have a local server with media on it, and like to find the drives on the network (the server is my media PC with W7) and watch video over the network from other house computers. Accessing shit is fine with other windows PCs. But I would very much like to have one laptop with linux (preferably a *buntu) also be able to do this. Is there a way to put a shortcut on the desktop of the linux laptop that will reliably open the media PC video locations? Because so far I have failed to make that happen.

I'm not hyper experienced with linux. I have dipped into various *buntu distros over the years but never really stuck with one.
>>
can I disable the sleep timer for my hard drives from disk manager? does that affect its life span or something? I want it always on while my computer is on.
>>
>>43476810
Are you on Windows? It sort of affects lifespan. Technically it should due to them running constantly, however it's not as bad as it may seem.
>>
i just got windows 8 and i cant figure out how to open up .zip files normally

i heard i have to make it open with File Explorer but i cant find file explorer from that menu

please save me from this hell
>>
>>43475953
Seems you've accidentally started using overtype mode instead of insert. Try hitting the "INS" or "Insert" key, if you have one.
>>
>>43476586
Bump!
>>
IS there anyway to get a script made for chrome to work in firefox? There's a neat script I like in chrome but I don't wanna actually use the botnet
>>
>>43476867
Download and use 7zip instead
>>
HOW DO I GET GRUB2 TO DETECT AND BOOT ZFS PARTITIONS AAAAAAARGH
>>
File: z9MjpMs.gif (403 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
z9MjpMs.gif
403 KB, 500x502
AMD build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Tp7hvK

Intel build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TkqkHx

any suggestions on how to improve these?
>>
>>43476867
Right click, properties, open with EXPLORER.
>>
File: my_room.jpg (171 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
my_room.jpg
171 KB, 900x675
I was wondering if there’s any real use to get a desktop computer, so far every task on my laptop I’ve handled fine. Besides games and rendering, am I missing out on anything? I do want to get a mechanical keyboard, but that would be really unnecessary for a laptop.
>>
>>43477232
>Besides games and rendering

thats pretty much it
>>
>>43477258
looks like I'm stuck listening to this for the closest mech. keyboard enjoyment :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24tWz7gmngI
>>
>>43475953
INSERT button.
>>
>>43476256
have you tried a different HDMI cable?
>>
>>43477271
I think you misunderstood him, he was talking about the desktop, not the keyboard. Buying a external keyboard and mouse for laptops is a pretty good idea if you use it at home a bunch.
>>
>>43477326
I just think it would be really awkward, No? Though I do want to experience it, maybe I'll get a 10keyless.
>>
>>43477321
yeah, the desktop HDMI cable is different than the laptop's micro to standard HDMI.
>>
>>43477232
I like your room. It's really NEET.
But don't you worry about graffiti getting on your chinese cartoon dolls?
>>
i'm not thinking correctly today, but say max_vel is 200. if I had an equation that wanted to know if it was less than -150 and it was formulated by

if( obj[ID].yspeed < -obj[ID].max_vel/# )

with # being the number you would divid max_vel by to get 150 (75%), what would it be?
>>
>>43477386
consider Poker 2
>>
>>43476418
I kinda wanna know if this helped that person. I didn't get any response...
>>
>>43477575
4/3 or 1.33_
Was this question really something to ask on the tech board?
>inb4: I answered it, so apparently...
>>
File: 1373841413390.jpg (30 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
1373841413390.jpg
30 KB, 399x400
How often do computer parts come dead on arrival. I'm thinking of ordering parts from across the border and I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not. Also, if a store such as newegg sells you something that's fucked straight out of the box, do they usually replace your item or do you have to buy some sort of extra warranty from the store themselves.
I'm thinking RAM, CPU, GPU etc. Not monitors.
>>
Using OBS to stream MPCHC to castcamp. Is there anyway I can make it so I cant hear the audio of whatever Im streaming but the stream still hears it?
>>
>>43476589
I just spend the last hour looking for a Firefox with KDE integrated into it and I can't find any that works.
>>
>>43475840
password.txt up your anus for safekeeping
>>
>>43477730
I've been ordering new parts from Amazon and Newegg for about five years and maybe, I think, I had one defective thing arrive to me.
Also, Newegg is very good about replacing defective items quickly if you get back to them within a week of recieving it.
>>
If I have full disk encryption, is it useless if the laptop is left on? Do I need to turn it off every time I go to sleep (in case I get raided), or will leaving it locked keep em out?
>>
I caught some shitty installer sneaking Deal Keeper onto my computer and cancelled it, but its still half installed. Whenever i go to uninstall it in add/remove the uninstaller hangs at 50% and I cant manually delete the files because "its being used by another program."

Do I have to go into safe mode for this?
>>
>>43477992
Have you tried Revo Uninstaller? It usually works for crap like that.
>>
Way to transfer files to my phone through my network?
i.e. Not having to hook it up
>>
>>43477730
>>43477880
Most places are pretty good about replacements. And most parts arrive in working condition. I'm wary of purchasing OEM hardrives from newegg because they frequently are just taped into several layers of bubble wrap (hello static buildup), but otherwise I don't have a problem with parts arriving doa anywhere. Sometimes you get unlucky and get a bad part. It happens.

>Anecdotes follow

Newegg has turned full cheapass in the past couple of years and asks you to pay for the shipping unless you specifically demand that they pay for it. Same thing with cross shipments. If it's within a few days of arrival they are generally more lenient, but past 2 weeks and it's annoying as fuck. Take pictures of fucking everything. They tried to claim a DoA motherboard I bought had bent pins, and I had pictures to tell them to shove it up their ass. I threw enough of a shitfit that they wound up giving me a 300 dollar gift card as well as overnighting a replacement to me when they normally send it 3-5 day.

Then again, asking a manager a bunch of information such as her full name, employee id, extension, etc and casually mentioning that I would be naming her in a small claims court filing while citing consumer protection laws tends to make those callcenter fucks twitch uncomfortably.

Meanwhile amazon will bend over backwards if something isn't right. I had some drives delayed and then ruined because Fed-ex apparently doesn't understand what zip codes are, then left the drives out in the rain after I asked them why the tracking indicated the package had randomly turned around and was on it's way to Kentucky. Amazon overnighted a full set of replacements without batting an eye.

The caveat is that resellers on Amazon are a mixed bag. Some are fucking wonderful. Some are god awful. Amazon itself tries to get it done and the people in the call centers speak natively.
>>
>>43478161
bluetooth
any protocol over wifi
If you don't want to install anything on the phone, you can set up apache2 on your IBM clones and download files with a web browser.
>>
anyone try the Logitech G502 or the new G402?

I got a G400S to replace my G500 recently and I dont really like it tbh. Feels small, and my hand kind of cramps up playing it for longer than a game of CSGO.

Anyone know if the G502 is similar to the G500? Cause I might just get it, since its optical.
>>
>>43477891
Locking will not keep out an expert, but petty burglars will not be able to access anything.
>>
Would an AMD APU be able to handle the higher resolution of an FW900?
>>
What's the best VPN service for someone in Canada to access US only content? (eg, US netflix, pandora)
>>
File: screenFetch-2014-08-09_02-51-56.png (90 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2014-08-09_02-51-56.png
90 KB, 1366x768
I'm pretty new to linux in general, and want to get rid of some of the bloat packages that I don't need/use that came installed with my KDE install CD. Tried uninstalling packages myself earlier today with apper and apt-get autoremove, which did not go well and took a long while to manually fix.
How do I safely uninstall unnecessary packages without fucking up dependencies?
>>
>>43478623
Probably airvpn
>>
Any recommendations for a Linux PDF reader that doesn't come with a shit ton of dependencies?
>>
>>43478635
aptitude uninstall
>>
Is the Moto G still the goto cheap phone?
>>
>>43478871
After doing that, is there a way for me to find the dependencies that remain and don't serve a purpose anymore?
>>
>>43478927
Aptitude will automatically remove packages that were originally installed as a dependency for something and no longer have anything depending on them
>>
is there a way to get gnome-terminal to do background transparency like it used to before the chickenfucking devs chopped it?
>>
>>43478951
Thanks!
>>
Let's say I have these two XML files:

<!-- File 1 -->
<foo>
<bar>stuff</bar>
</foo>

<!-- File 2 -->
<foo>
<baz>stuff</baz>
</foo>

Is there any easy way to merge them into this?

<!-- File 3 -->
<foo>
<bar>stuff</bar>
<baz>stuff</baz>
</foo>
>>
>>43479006
By easy I mean like shell commands and such.
>>
posted this in last thread (which died).
i'm learning vim, and am tempted to map capslock to esc using the 'registry hack' (windows 8).
however, i've heard this is a bad idea. is it, and if so, why?
>>
I'm trying to mark bad sectors in Elementary OS so it doesn't use those sectors but I'm still in read-only mode even after I marked them. What do?
>>
File: 1343031030204.jpg (37 KB, 368x639) Image search: [Google]
1343031030204.jpg
37 KB, 368x639
>>43478201
>>43477880
Thanks guys.
>>
>>43479106
You don't need to use a registry hack to do that. I use a program on my Windows machines called Autohotkey to bind Caps Lock to Ctrl (I am an Emacs user, but it's equally easy to bind it to ESC). Autohotkey is a scripting language for creating hotkeys and stuff on Windows machines. It's this easy to rebind Caps to Escape:

;; rebind Caps lock to escape
Capslock::Escape

This shouldn't be dangerous at all. Also you might not even want to do that. When I used to use Vim I bound "jk" to Escape in Vim, you won't usually end up typing that combination in Vim so it's perfect for escaping input mode. I don't remember how to do it but it seems like pretty common practice so it should be easy to find out how.
>>
>>43473756
>>43473887
>flattr-icons

Whoah. I had seen a few screenshots and I thought "meh" but after trying it out it's actually pretty amazing. I like how they've got icons for every file type under the sun. I just wish there was a version with blue directories instead of green, maybe I might make a fork.
>>
File: Capture.png (36 KB, 713x489) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
36 KB, 713x489
I'm trying to connect a aspire 5740 laptop to my tv via hdmi, when I connect the cable I hear a sound saying it's connected but the tv doesn't display anything, I need to download a display driver, right? This is what I get from the Acer webpage, which one is the display driver?
>>
>>43475188
>And you can clearly use the contents of the USB without mounting
actually the install medium is mounted, as root (/)
>>
>>43479267
download all of them in a folder, when windows asks you to install/update driver just point it to the folder they are all in and it will use the correct one
>>
>>43477841
yaourt -S firefox-kde-opensuse
>>
>>43477099
just made your own grub.cfg, and be sure to remember to add zfs modules into your initcpio
>>
>>43479267
when you connect the TV does it appear as a new display in screen resolution properties? you might have to manually tell windows whether you want to mirror or extend the desktop to the new display

>>43479291
that's so much work

all he has to do is download one of the two graphics drivers
>>
I've lost my phone. What phone should I buy to replace it?

It needs to have a microSD slot.
>>
>>43479291
Haha, seriously? So you want me to download all of them? Sounds time wasting..When would windows ask me to install/update driver? You mean when I go to device manager, locate display, >>update driver ?
>>
File: ads.jpg (110 KB, 1155x233) Image search: [Google]
ads.jpg
110 KB, 1155x233
not a programming question but what are these ads from and how do i get rid of them
>>
>>43479380
Is this Wikipedia? Might be adware, run a virus check. Check your browser plugins for anything that shouldn't be there too.
>>
When I connected it a few minutes ago the laptop played a sound like it connected and the screen resolution settings displayed "Multiple Displays", but the second screen (in the resolution settings window) said it couldn't detect another display. I tried Detect and the laptop displayed 1 and the tv nothing.
>>
>>43479444
mean to qoute >>43479339
>>
>>43479267
bump
>>
>>43479267here
Could it be the VGA driver on that list? I know that VGA is analogue where HDMI is digital, but I don't know what else it could be.
>>
>>43479267
>>43479497

Don't download GPU drivers from the laptop's manufacturer's page. Get them from the either the AMD or Nvidia webpage. I see that your laptop also has an Intel one, so download it from the Intel webpage.
Look at the date of those drivers, they're 5 years old.
>>
>>43475550
brother hl-2270dw
>>
File: 1407439262909.gif (733 KB, 300x143) Image search: [Google]
1407439262909.gif
733 KB, 300x143
I want to put my Chrome with all my extensions and stuff on my USB so I can use it on the macs from my uni. is such a thing possible?
>>
>>43479554

Just get a small GNU/Linux distribution and put it on the USB flash drive.
>>
File: 1406919445834.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1406919445834.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
>>43479562
>>
>>43475744
Your best bet is to get VMWare player and install Ubuntu there.

If you insist, there is Wubi:
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

I don't recommend Wubi for anything permanent though, it has a nasty habit of fucking up.
>>
>>43475840
Trinity Rescue Disc/Hiren's Boot CD in case things fuck up. Both include A/V tools and popular tools for example, to analyze damanged HDD's and such. I used Trinity yesterday myself to repair a fucked up NTFS formatted HDD that GParted decided to fuck up for some fucking retarded reason (fuck gparted, piece of fucking useless shit).
>>
>>43475744
Install Virtualbox, it's very straightforward and hasn't been completely ruined by Oracle (yet).
>>
>>43476086
Well built, very powerful, not a lot of resale value though. Xoticpc should fill your needs.

tl;dr Get a Macbook pro.
>>
>>43479589

Why? They're specifically made for that. When you can't bring your desktop or laptop with you and want to have your own "mini OS" for privacy reason, so you don't have to sign in on shared PCs.
>>
>>43476268
Their hardware is nearly 1:1 with whatever OS X support and no locked registers on their BIOS so it doesn't interrupt OS X native power handling. Don't think there's anything more to it, maybe go ask insanelymac for a more detailed analysis.
>>
I just installed xubuntu

How the fuck do I install mpv.

I'm completely lost
>>
>>43479660
man apt-get
>>
>>43476586
Either Remote connections are turned off at the other computer or most likely, that version of Windows doesn't support RDP.

Teamviewer uses its own protocol which is why it just werks.

You can try installing Concurrent RDP Patcher in the computer you are trying to remote to and see if that works. Otherwise, you are shit out of luck.

Also check ports, etc and all that jazz first.
>>
Is there any possible way of downloading videos from a certain website?

For example, I want to download this show from madman.com.au/videos/view/4291/live-with-the-flow-baby
>>
>>43479660
Better yet, get it from a PPA, the ubuntu version is pretty fucked.
>>
>>43479713

Try with youtube-dl on GNULinux. Otherwise, try one of those numerous Firefox add-ons which download videos from YouTube and the likes.
>>
I am trying nonstop to get a monitor to work
I figured it was a faulty cable, but it displays everything in the bios and loading windows perfectly
>>
Can you recover an SSH session after a disconnection? If yes; how?
>>
>>43473106
The problem is you are typing this in ghci. When you type something in ghci, it tries to print it. But the type of your expression is [IO ()]. To be able to print a list of something, it must be able to print that something and there is no way to print IO ()
>>
>>43479891
I think screen, tmux, or dtach, maybe used with mosh, will do what you want.
>>
>>43479914
I suppose they all work well on a raspberry pi.
What would be the easiest in this case?
>>
>>43479938
For basic functionality, they're nearly equal. If you're using emacs, you'll need to rebind screen's C-a to something like C-S-^
>>
>>43480012
I am primarily going to use bash, since my pi's a web/ftp server, if that helps.

I'll check them out soon I guess, see what sticks.
>>
>>43479713
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=508948
>>
>>43472975

What's the best iso mounting program?
>>
>>43480070
WinCDEmu on Windows 7
Windows 8 includes that functionality
I think mnt can be used on GNU/Linux. There's GUIs for doing it.
>>
>>43479633
many universities password protect the BIOS so no booting off of USB sticks.
>>
>>43479620
Virtualbox is complete fucking ass especially when compared to VMWare player, and it's available for parrotFuckerOS exists.
>>
>>43480070
windows: wincdemu
linux: cdemu (unless complete emulation isn't required, then mount can be used instead)
>>
>>43480052
>http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=508948
Cheers for the link but I was hoping to download the version from that website because of the quality. Ill guess ill settle for a torrent quality.
>>
>>43479660
>mpv
>That xbox hueg OSD
When will you FOSS faggots in UX?
>>
So I'm using C++ to read an infile, however I want it to throw away "x" amount of input before saving the good stuff to an array. How would I go about doing this?
>>
>>43480116
i would be really surprised if that stream was better quality than what you can get from torrents

especially this one;
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=552801
>>
>>43480098

Oh I'm running Windows 8.1. It'll just mount it automatically?
>>
>>43480121
i turned off the OSD

when will you normal faggots into keybinds?
>>
>>43480140
>Keybinds
>From your couch
Typical parrotfuckers.
>>
>>43480121
Ubuntu devs hated it so much that they packaged mpv without LUA.
>>
>>43480136
Select the image, right click, it just wrks.

You can also use diskpart from the cmd window.
>>
>>43480157
>mpv
>from your couch
i use xbmc for that

also, why would you complain about an xbox hueg UI when using it from your couch?

you make no sense, man
>>
>>43480157
what else would you use? a fucking mouse?
>>
>>43480162
Fucking wow, why are FOSS players so absolute shit?

Explain yourselves faggots.

>>43480172
>mpv so fucking utterly useless you have to use a whole other program just to solve a common use case scenario.
>>
>>43480187
we've crossed into bait territory now
>>
>>43479660
>Installing mpv
>not using vmware to run mpc-hc instead in unity mode

Or VLC, mpv is a joke.
>>
>>43480167

Cool. I found the mount but there is a bug with it. I found a solution via google though. For some reason the iso is set to be parse file and so windows is throwing an error when i try to mount it.
>>
>>43480201
Didn't the parrotfucker not just recommend xbmc you fucking imbecile?

Leave it to ganoo linux to not into usability.
>>
>>43480134
>http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=552801
Alrite, cheers for the link, I was looking for a 1080p dub
>>
>>43480226
What the fuck is a parrotfucker
>>
>>43480330
A brony discovering new fetishes.
>>
>>43480330
RMS
>>
Best i5 for a gaming PC?
>>
>>43480581
>>
Where can I disable Internet Explorer?
Windows 8.1
>>
So I built a new pc. Everything is wired correctly, it doesn´t start tho.
Fans are blowing, LEDs are glowing but No Signal to my Monitor.
BIOS isnt beeping either, with or without RAM.

Is the Mainboard just fucked?
>>
>>43472975
How do I make it so I can see past private accounts in instagram?
>>
>>43480070
mount -o loop /path/to.iso /path/to/mountpoint
>>
>>43480667
Sounds like a bad mobo.
>>
Trying to run Unity3D with Wine on Ubuntu 12.04 and the UI looks like pic related.

Anyone know how I can fix this? Tried Google's suggestions but nothing is working.
>>
I currently own a Cherry MX Blue Ducky Shine 3 TKL.

Are buckling springs louder than Blues?

What are the loudest, most obnoxious keyswitches money can buy?
>>
>>43480667
Did you plug in the four-pin extra power connector near CPU?
>>
>>43481060
Start using a real engine that us open source and has linux support like unreal.
>>
>>43481127
>Are buckling springs louder than Blues?
Maybe.
I don't see a reason why change from Ducky though, their keyboards are great. I'm currently using a Ducky Shine 3 YotS with Cherry MX Red switches, but I have the same keyboard in blue switches too.

Enjoy your keyboard, anon.

>>43481145
This, and https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>>
>>43481154
My DK Shine 3 has 5 dead LEDs and two major cracks in two different corners of the keyboards.
>>
>>43481154
I said open source because I don't know if unreal is a also free software. I think free software is also stupid because 99% of the people will miss the point so I rather use a term like libre software.
>>
>>43481145
I'm using Unity because I've already made significant progress, and I don't really feel like porting it and learning another engine.
>>
File: gigabyte.jpg (835 KB, 1000x841) Image search: [Google]
gigabyte.jpg
835 KB, 1000x841
>>43481134
I can´t find one.
>>
What's the deal with torrents where I'm only connecting to 1 out of 10 seeders and 2 out of 30 leechers, getting zero download speed, and not even uploading anything in spite of having 50 % downloaded and no upload limit set?
>>
File: jhdfhfghdf.jpg (421 KB, 1000x841) Image search: [Google]
jhdfhfghdf.jpg
421 KB, 1000x841
>>43481306
Tried this one?
>>
File: Screenshot - 090814 - 22:01:10.png (44 KB, 316x415) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - 090814 - 22:01:10.png
44 KB, 316x415
I have installed CPU Frequency Monitor, I cant seem to change the governors, every time I close it it resets. Using Xubuntu on a X200
>>
>>43481363
I sadly don´t have a fitting cable for that
>>
>>43481377
Your power supply doesn't have an 8 pin lead? This could be the problem
>>
>>43481377
use the 4pin one then
>>
>>43481371
Is it being run as a regular user?
I would imagine you will need root privileges to change the CPU governor.
>>
>>43481397
Note, you can't use PCI-E power connectors in the ATX extra power connector. Tried it once, the mobo won't boot.
>>
My stupid question is this;
My corsair Force 3 SSD died, disappeared from boot list and is unrecognizable on several machines, apparently its a firmware issue/Faulty, will updating the firmware solve the problem and will it wipe the drive?
>>
>>43481431
1. Firmware can't fix it if it doesn't get recognized in BIOS (you can't flash to what's broken, I've tried)
2. Even if you did succeed flashing new firmware, it may wipe the drive. It depends on the drive and firmware version.
>>
>>43481431
How are you going to flash a firmware to a dead SSD?

If it's still under warranty, RMA the fucker. Early Sandforce drives were known to have an issue that required a firmware update to fix. Most if not all manufacturers will replace a dead SSD no problem.
>>
>>43481412
I think so, how would I go about changing the privileges?
>>
>>43481485
sudo nameofprogram
>>
>>43481502
Its running in the panel, is there a way it can run as sudo from startup?
>>
>>43481397
>>43481396

I found the 8-pin cable, I´m stupid.
The only thing it changed tho is that the cpu fan stops working after 2 seconds.
>>
>>43481502
Got it working, installed another version ;)
>>
Can someone put together a build for me please? My budget is $600. I'm looking to game a bit. Nothing serious though.
>>
>>43481670
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
What's that free alternate to Sublime Text for Unix called?
>>
>>43481861
Vim, emacs, nano, vi, gedit etc.
>>
>>43476127
There are a lot of libraries for IRC scripting. I think Python has a really simple one. Then you should look into a method of retrieving the currently played song on your music player. This depends on your music player.
>>
File: adwadaw.png (20 KB, 474x652) Image search: [Google]
adwadaw.png
20 KB, 474x652
Can i run sleeping dogs?
>>
File: 71L9z4cMDnL._SL1200_.jpg (154 KB, 1010x1200) Image search: [Google]
71L9z4cMDnL._SL1200_.jpg
154 KB, 1010x1200
Got a problem. Running an R9 290 PCS+ and a FX 8320 with a Hyper 212 evo in a shitty budget case with dreadful airflow, pic related. So naturally, there's a lot of hot air in the case, and it's causing my CPU to get up to 61 degrees when playing games, and my GPU to get up to 82 degrees, when it should be at 70 degrees max. Any ideas on how I can get more air into the case to keep it cooler?
>>
>>43482139
Medium/low settings
>>
>>43482147
The CPU temperature should be at 70C max to avoid damage, and the GPU at 80C. However both the CPU and GPU are capable of going much higher than that. If it was really a risk the computer would turn itself off to protect itself

As for the case you need more fans
>>
>>43482160
Thanks.

Could I run Dark Souls 2 on medium/low? With minimum lag?
>>
>>43482173
Where should the fans be placed? I've got two spare ones, originally the side panel had two fans on it, but I had to take them off in order to fit the 212 evo in.
>>
>>43472975
From yesterday. Found an old msi gx623x. Want to install Windows 7 on it. CD-ROM is broken trying with USB during install "Setup is starting" it loops. Waited 30 minutes nothing happens. Tried reseting laptop no luck. Changed USB, ISO no luck
>>
>>43482183
Low/medium too

>>43482192
Do you have one sucking out on the back? Or one on the front sucking in? After those places I would do the top sucking out.
>>
requesting the /g/ picture of programming challenges
>>
>>43482208
Thanks bro!
>>
Whenever I right-click anything to do with Windows Explore (e.g exiting a program via the taskbar, or right-clicking a picture's properties), Windows Explorer crashes. How fix?

Win 7 Home Ultimate
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.