[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tox has been killed by Bitorrent Bleep. Just give up, Tox. Nobody
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: Bleep-Hero.png (35 KB, 483x483) Image search: [Google]
Bleep-Hero.png
35 KB, 483x483
>Hoping for early access to BitTorrent’s first serverless chat client? We have good news. Today, we will begin letting testers try out the Pre-Alpha. We are also unveiling its name: BitTorrent Bleep. Why Bleep, you might ask? Well, basically, we never see your messages or metadata. As far as we’re concerned, anything you say is “bleep” to us.

It already looks better than Tox in pre-Alpha and they don't even need an email address to get an account when it goes stable.

Seriously, this already looks like a better Skype alternative than Tox based on what has been shown so far.

Video calls, offline messaging and Linux/Mac ports are coming, and the UI makes uTox look like shit.

http://blog.bittorrent.com/2014/07/30/bittorrents-chat-client-unveiled-bittorrent-bleep-now-in-invite-only-pre-alpha/

Tox is kill. It's inevitable now.
>>
All /g/-created projects are destined to die. Period.
>>
>>43315730
>implying they even live.
>>
>trusting closed source software
>>
>>43315427
>Closed source
Into the thrash it goes.

This is why i use syncthing instead of btsync.
>>
Fuck off, Bittorrent. I don't trust proprietary software when it comes to privacy.
>>
>No mpEncryption or mpOTR
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING
>>
>>43315427
If they release this under a free software license, then Tox is dead. Until then...

Considering BitTorrent Sync is still proprietary, I doubt this will happen soon.
>>
>program meant to get away from proprietary software backed by large company killed by proprietary software backed by a large company
the point
op
>>
File: fullretard.jpg (47 KB, 720x203) Image search: [Google]
fullretard.jpg
47 KB, 720x203
>Closed source
>>
>>43315427
> Hello Goyim, we heard you wanted privacy, so we created this closed-source Skype alternative which we promise is encrypted and totally anti-NSA
> Trust us Goyim, we're the good guys, we would never spy on you or give a backdoor to the NSA, we swear.

Surely no one is this stupid?
>>
Doesnt that defeat half the purpose of Tox? Its not open source
>>
Guys I have a game, and it has "private messaging" across servers, should I encrypt all data sent by players with an option of bit-length, starting at 2048 and going up to 16384?
>>
>closed source
>>
File: trash.jpg (227 KB, 1240x786) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
227 KB, 1240x786
>closed source
>>
>>43315427
>easy. private. fun.

the jew meter just blew up
>>
>>43315730
You know. This may be true but there is obviously a reason. We need to work on better communication and collaboration. That's really it. You think collectively we couldn't do all of these things and far more? We most certainly can, we just need to work "together" and correctly (well...?).
>>
>>43315892
What would the point be?
Your server is the middleman. The only person that message will ever come in contact with is your server, the two players, and anyone who already MITM'd one of the players.
>>
>Does not respect your freedoms.
>>
>closed source, claims to be secure and you just have to take their word for it
>windows only
ok
>>
>>43315751
>trusting software made by admitted NEETs on /g/
>>
Download link: http://download-lb.utorrent.com/endpoint/bleep/track/stable/os/win/
>>
>>43315427
>Hoping for early access to BitTorrent’s
Stopped reading right then and there.
>>
>BitTorrent
lol no thx
>>
>shilling your surveillance machine that nobody on /g/ or anyone who cares about their security will use
pls go bittorrent

it's probably gonna be used by plebs who don't actually have anything to hide but want privacy, but anyone GENUINELY concerned about the security of their messages won't use something closed source created by a business, and windows only shuts out a huge audience.
>>
>>43315964
>blabla about communications and stuff others should do
I take it you're the idea guy...
>>
>closed source
yea just go use btsync while you're at it

you're not fooling me mpaa
>>
>motherfucking MPAA makes "private" chat client
why would anyone with half a fucking brain trust this?
>>
File: bleep.png (30 KB, 799x599) Image search: [Google]
bleep.png
30 KB, 799x599
>>43316277
>http://download-lb.utorrent.com/endpoint/bleep/track/stable/os/win/

Just installed it. It works just like Tox. You get a public key and then you choose a display name for your friends to see and you can change the display name anytime you want. It's literally just like Tox.

Tox is fucking dead when this goes stable.
>>
>>43316480
Tox will die if and only if we get source code for this shit. Until then, it's just MPAA-sponsored malware.
>>
>>43316249
you can look at the source............................................................................................................
>>
If it's not open source, it has something to hide. There's no other reason for it to be closed source.
>>
>>43315427
Or you can not be a douche bag, and encourage them instead.
>>
>>43316586
>There's no other reason for it to be closed source.

How about paying developers? If its open source, you can just fork it and not pay the developers a dime.
>>
Can I add my AIM, Yahoo!, MSN and Skype accounts?

If not, I have no use for this.
>>
>>43316634
>Can I add my AIM, Yahoo!, MSN and Skype accounts?

I'd rather use Bleep than those botnets
>>
>>43316623
Why is BitTorrent Sync both proprietary and gratis, then? Something is being monetized, and it's probably the user.
>>
>>43316586
Money. Money. Money.
>>
>>43316480
>chat history

2dabin.sh
>>
>>43316567
And until you prove empirically that it has malware on it, it's just a conspiracy/paranoia. Also, you are already running it under Windows.
Just use PGP for your "super-secret" messages, like people already do.

>>43316677
uTorrent ads.
>>
File: 1406122666048.jpg (59 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1406122666048.jpg
59 KB, 400x300
>closed source
>secure

Jesus fucking christ, it's like no one has damned brain anymore
>>
>>43316677
Because Bittorrent Inc. is a corporation and they have developers to pay salaries to. When BT Sync and Bleep go stable, their installers will have ads and partnered software offerings to monetize them.
>>
>>43316623
Developers are payed by the company, they care jack shit what they do with the software after that because they have already been payed.

Freeware, therefore, is a retarded concept and has no purpose. If they are distributing it for free this means they are technically not getting any benefits from it, so why not make it libre?

At best it will be proprietary to add shitty ad services and avoid forks without them (not like ads can't be blocked without taking a peek at the source code though, therefore it's still retarded), at worst it will include nasty spyware.
>>
>>43315427
>It already looks better than Tox in pre-Alpha

Tox is in alpha.
>>
>>43315427
>proprietary
fucking dropped, might as well just use skype
>>
>>43315427
>closed source
SURE BITTORRENT HERE'S MY DATA
>>
Venom hasn't had for a very long time, is it dead?
>>
>>43316729
>Developers are payed by the company, they care jack shit what they do with the software after that because they have already been payed.

Somebody forks your software. Nobody uses your software anymore because it has ad offers in the installer and just use the libre ones without ads. Developers stop getting paid, and development grinds to a halt. Project over.

Keeping it closed source is the only way for a corporation to hire fulltime developers to maintain this.

If you don't want to use it, just use Tox. Most people will instead be using Bleep, though, because Tox will have zero marketshare compared to Bleep, because of marketing, corporate support, resources, etc.
>>
>>43316717
>And until you prove empirically that it has malware on it, it's just a conspiracy/paranoia
After Snowden, prove that it's clean. Not the other way around.
Fuck off
>>
>>43316249
I'd trust software open-source software written by /g/ users before I'd trust closed-source software by anyone.
>>
>>43316790

And the fact tox is made by /g/ pedos is major turn off for me personally
>>
>>43316729
>payed

FOSS tards are fucking illiterate.
>>
>>43316790

you are not into business right?

there are in fact different business models, some even include GPL'd open source software
>>
>>43316725
>>
>>43316790
This is solved with marketing since people who genuinely want to avoid ads will still block them. It's not hard to modify your hosts file and some programs even do it automatically.
>>
>>43316729
>At best it will be proprietary to add shitty ad services and avoid forks without them (not like ads can't be blocked without taking a peek at the source code though, therefore it's still retarded), at worst it will include nasty spyware.

No shit, sherlock. How else do you expect a corporation to do do this?
>>
>>43316790
Nobody uses Firefox either, right?
>>
>>43316816

but it was detected and fixed, after all.
>>
>>43316827
>>Nobody uses Firefox either, right?

Firefox is a non-profit corporation that is mostly funded by Google.
>>
>closed source software versus some shitty /g/ project
Out of the two, Bleep seems slightly less likely to bite you in the ass.
>>
>>43316850
What about Chrome, I'm sure nobody uses that either.
>>
>>43316850
I mean Mozilla
>>
>>43316827
Firefox has "ads" actually, just functional ones. Still, even if there was a fork that stripped them down only a few people would use it.

You can already block said ads in Firefox by modifying a few settings, so people who genuinely don't want them don't even need a fucking fork for that.
>>
>>43316850
Mozilla has profits.
At least they did.
>>
>>43316827
firefox fucking sucks, so no
unless you're a fucking retard
everything is on webkit now
>hurr chrome is the only webkit browser
gecko is cancer and needs to fucking die already
>>
>>43316857
I am definitely going to use Bleep over Tox because:

1) People will actually use Bleep, probably in the millions.

2) It will be so fucking easy to use that my mother will use it.

3) The email address support alone will make people want to use Bleep over Tox because if your computer dies, Tox will lose your buddy list unless you do a manual backup while Bleep will have your email address handy as a backup in case your computer dies.
>>
>Privacy oriented
>Closed source
>Developed by a company owned by the MPAA

AM I BEING TROLLED SURELY IM BEING TROLLED
>>
seeing as bleep works exactly like tox in every single way, it may be worth auditing the binary for gpl violation...
>>
>>43316940
Go away, shill
>>
>>43316953
I'm going to laugh my balls off if one of the tox devs turns out to be a spy for bittorrent
>>
>>43316850
>>Mozilla is a non-profit corporation that is mostly funded by Google.

And if Google stopped paying them, Firefox would die.
>>
I am definitely going to use Bleep over Tox because:

1) It is not developed by retarded weebs.

That's all.
>>
>>43316970
Summer of Botnet confirmed*.

*To be confirmed
>>
>>43316832
>>secure
Exploited by your average 3 letter agency for 3 fucking years and would continue if a certain non NEET entity didn't do a little analysis. How can a NEET FLOS code be secure?
>>
You fucking shills in here might as well keep using Skype.

The rest of us who are smart, and the trolls pretending to support this pleb shit, will not.

Just give up.
>>
>>43316969
>Go away, shill

Couldn't argue my points huh Tox fag?
>>
At least this is good incentive for Tox to be actually good.
>>
>>43317008
you're going to use skype 2.0 because others will use it?
>>
>>43316983
>bing
>>
File: 1404555839693.jpg (45 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1404555839693.jpg
45 KB, 612x612
the presto engine in opera has been around before both gecko and webkit, and now it's DEAD. you know why? because they realised webkit is superior and everything is heading the webkit way

whoever used anything other than opera in the old days either used INTERNET FUCKING EXPLORER or that horrible piece of shit that netscape was

and then every one of the fucking newfags on the internet started using firefox like the fucking newfags that they were

it's time for gecko to die
i give it a year, two tops
>>
>>43317008
I would use neither, maybe Jitsi.

Bleep is fucking retarded and so is Tox (atm)
>>
>>43317014
Tox needs FOSS competition.
>>
A-ANYONE WANNA BE MY FRIEND
[email protected]
>>
>>43317026
>>you're going to use skype 2.0 because others will use it?

Skype was never encrypted. Try again, Toxfag.

Bleep is simply a better version of Tox.
>>
>>43317008
You are sucking Bitorrent Inc's cock over a program that's still in alpha.

Millions of people? Fucking seriously?
>>
>>43316249

>trusting closed source software
>>
>>43317062
>skype was never encrypted
uh huh...
>bleep is a better version of tox
to be seen, shill
>>
>>43317041
Doesn't Opera use Chromium now?
opera is closed source; I hope you're not trying to shill it.
Webkit browsers are like dwb/uzbl/surf, right?
>>
>>43316698
Gratis. Gratis. Gratis.
No ads, either.

Again, why closed source?
>>
>>43317065
>>Millions of people? Fucking seriously?

You don't think Bleep can get millions of users? Are you retarded? There's already millions of users still using the old Bittorrent client.

Do you even see Tox on every major publication like you see Bleep Alpha on? Nope.

Face it. Bleep is Tox done right, with a better chance of succeeding.
>>
>>43315427
Closed-source software made by a company known to collaborate with the MAFIAA? Doesn't sound like an alternative to me. Nobody is going to fall for the shilling here.
>>
>>43317062
>Skype was never encrypted
But it was.
>>
>>43317062
What makes you sure that Bitorrent Inc is a trustworthy company that won't intentionally compromise the encryption used?

Was it the buy-out by the MPAA that made you trust them?
>>
>>43317041
Gecko is gonna be rewritten in some time. Why do you want it to die?
>>
>>43317106
>There's already millions of users still using the old Bittorrent client.
You fucking moron that client is being developed with uTorrent. It's identical save a few ads and shit they add
>>
>>43317130
In rust... right? I tried it and yeah... can't wait
>>
is it open protocol?
is it open source?

if its not than all security and privacy claims are untestable marketing trash.
>>
>>43317098
>No ads, either.
Alright, this is now officially suspicious. A lot of fags were arguing here some posts before that it was closed source to keep ads in place. Now, how the fuck are they gonna justify it being proprietary?

Stuff like this should be open source, even if it wasn't free. If they just decided to close the source and they aren't going to plan on getting money from it in any conventional ways, then there is enough reason there to not touch this piece of spyware in your life.
>>
tox just needs to hurry up. i cant wait anymore yo
>>
>>43317092
you're a fucking retard, please stop posting
chromium is based on webkit, you stupid fuck
>>
>>43317059
PLS
>>
>>43317153
Yes, Rust was specifically made to rewrite Gecko. Hope it reaches 1.0 soon, I want to start programming in it.
>>
>>43317159
This.

The only people vouching for it's legitimacy either have no understanding of cryptography or is a stakeholder in the project.
>>
>>43317183
>>43317153
>>43317130
oh us web developers will fucking love it when firefox starts misbehaving again as usual

this shit is the internet explorer of our days
there's ALWAYS a fucking bug in mozilla and whenever i go through their bugtrackers it's fucking hilarious
>>
>>43316832
>implying closed-source never gets fixed
>>
>Closed source program

I hate Tox advertisements and the software as much as any other /g/entooman does, but closed source chat clients offering end to end encryption will not win over the audience.
>>
File: 1393285584057.jpg (96 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1393285584057.jpg
96 KB, 428x510
>>43315427
>trusting bittorrent
>>
>>43317116
>Skype was encrypted.

Sure fag. Tell me about when Skype used a public key as your username.
>>
>>43317203
I sure do love -webkit-specific-css that is the same shit as -standard-css but requires a special name.
>>
>>43317203
>there's ALWAYS a fucking bug in mozilla and whenever i go through their bugtrackers it's fucking hilarious
This fucking guy
Webkit does it intentionally retard
>>
>>43317220
>What are databases
>>
>>43317220
it's only encrypted so people can't figure out the protocol and make compatible third party clients

it's not like the encryption doesn't end at microsoft
>>
>NSA shills trying to push their shitty backdoored Tox alternative.
I didn't know Tox was such a threat to the NSA.
>>
>>43317220
skype was well known to be the most secure messaging service of all when it came out, and for several years after.

there were numerous stories about governments banning skype usage because they couldn't spy on the conversations going through the network. India was one of them.

And then skype got bought out by Microsoft and 2 years later we are informed by Edward Snowden that Skype and Outlook Online are wide open to the NSA, but only the NSA because terrorism.

Skype *was* encrypted. It isn't anymore
>>
>>43317041
I doubt you were even around before netscape went under and founded mozilla.

firefox exists because IE 6 was BROKEN, completely broken, barely useable. Non-standardized web was in disarray because of it.

the first time I used FF was on a school computer, I had no idea it was netscape code (not stating an opinion of netscape), and at first I hated it because it wasnt internet explorer, then I realized I hated internet explorer.

and gecko wont die, if anything spider-monkey will be replaced with v8. and it probably wont be in a year or two.
>>
File: fsforg.png (115 KB, 1202x935) Image search: [Google]
fsforg.png
115 KB, 1202x935
>Tox is on the front page of fsf.org
Bleep is kill.
>>
>>43316816
you think heartbleed would have been found by some random guy if openssl weren't open-source?

IF it were discovered (which It probably wouldn't have been), the company with the source wouldn't have told anyone because they want people to trust their software
>>
File: 1399217354659.jpg (52 KB, 413x427) Image search: [Google]
1399217354659.jpg
52 KB, 413x427
>117 replies

Toxfags be insecure as fuck.
>>
>>43317307
NEET FLOSS == proprietary software
>>
>>43317287
i was using dialup when you were in diapers
>>
File: 1405577328114.gif (17 KB, 130x129) Image search: [Google]
1405577328114.gif
17 KB, 130x129
>>43317348
>>
File: 1406605821659s.png (83 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1406605821659s.png
83 KB, 249x249
Can somebody photoshop Bleep putting the flowers on Tox's grave?
>>
>>43315427
>trusting bittorrent

jesus christ
>>
>>43315427
>closed souce
>secure
pick 1
>>
>>43317237
>>43317249
possibly samefag
i'll humour you anyway

>firefox declares !important user-styles
>removing properties in new versions just to fuck shit up
>arguing for years over bugs that still exist on the bugtracker

it's not -webkit- properties, fag
>>
>>43315427
>yfw they ripped half of Tox's codebase off and released this alpha.
>>
Firefox's phone calls and now Bleep?

Does Tox even have a chance?
>>
File: innocent group of triangles.png (4 KB, 368x376) Image search: [Google]
innocent group of triangles.png
4 KB, 368x376
>ITT
>>
>>43315427
oh no
>>
>>43317361
the guy that submitted the heartbleed effected implementation of that standard was a postgraduate student.

what does NEET mean again?

obivously you are not employed educated or in training, enjoy flipping burgurs.
>>
>>43317348
bät
>>
>>43317432
time to shift developers over to gTorrent, which actually has a chance.
>>
>>43317430
this seems to be the case, reading their blog post I thought I was reading the Tox wiki
>>
>>43317388
doubt it. or the mere mention of ie6 would elicit a vivid horror of flashing popups crushing your screen and your modum as you waited for your 120x200px picture of boobs to load.
>>
>>43317486
I know right? gTorrent has a chance because you don't need to have people talk to you on it.
>>
What is it with you fags wishing death upon Tox? Does it remind you that these people have done more than you ever will and you want them to fail to feel good about your sad life?
>>
>>43315427
All the same problems Tox has plus MORE. Even earlier in development, and even crappier, and proprietary. Fuck off shill.
>>
>>43317513
>at least they tried
is never good enough, you dumb faggot
>>
>>43317513
Tox has been a failure from the start because its trusting NEETs with securing your private thoughts and data.

If Tox was done by somebody like Mozilla, or the Linux Foundation, nobody would have a problem with it.

Trusting Tox after heartbleed is a bad idea. These weeb NEETs have zero idea what they are doing, and Bleep is just like Tox from the looks of it.
>>
tox can succeed if they fucking
ADD
MORE
FEATURES
where the fuck is group calling with video? where the fuck is offline messaging? what the fuck is going through your head when you think tox is going steady when you can't add basic ass features that are necessary for it to match the capabilities of skype, or be useful at all?

it has a lot of potential, but the devs are fucking stupid for not adding this essential shit yet.
>>
>>43316953
contact the FSF if you find any.
>>
>>43317559
Shill harder moron.
>>
What the fuck is the point of Bleep over Skype if it's proprietary? There is zero reason to move from Skype.
>>
>>43315730
>>43316480
>>43316717
>>43316816
>>43316940
>>43317008
>>43317062
>>43317106

The amount of shilling in this thread is ridiculous.
Does anybody think its a coincidence that as soon as tox gets a usable client (uTox) Some MPAA Sponsored closed source alternative springs into existence and attempts to obsolete tox, and gets enormously shilled in the biggest concentrated area of tox users?
>>
>>43316952
Ignorance is strength, citizen.
Why don't you go ahead and use your secure, high-quality Bleep like a good boy?
>>
>>43317538
Go look at what Bleep can do.
Go look at what Tox can do.
Realise that Tox does more, while being FOSS.
Realise you're retarded.
>>
>>43317564
You realise that Bleep has no offline message or group video, or even video at all? Meanwhile Tox is making great progress towards offline messaging and group video. You're criticizing Tox for something it does better, that makes no sense at all.
>>
>>43317655
i'm not advocating bleep, i'm just saying that tox will never catch on until it adds important features that should have been added months ago.

»Meanwhile Tox is making great progress towards offline messaging and group video.
what?
>>
>>43317634
>goy
>>
>>43317632
1) you cant shill a product that doesnt have customers. Tox project doesnt sell anything to the best of my knowledge. So you are wrong objectively on that point.

2) only reason someone like the MPAA would push a clone is to neuter it. it would loose in the market tox (or some other full featured product) would be the benefactor of any development or advertising they did.
>>
>>43317635
B-but the gooey is better!
>>
>>43317678

>bleep will never let you video conference with your mom from the basement so you can dictate which kind of doritos you want, never go upstairs again!
>>
>>43317728
what
>>
>>43317695
>you cant shill a product that doesnt have customers
you can if a stable version hasnt been released yet.
>2) only reason someone like the MPAA would push a clone is to neuter it.
correct. the fact that the MPAA sees tox as a big enough threat that they would create bleep means that everyone should keep using tox
>>
>>43317564
>where the fuck is group calling with video? where the fuck is offline messaging? what the fuck is going through your head when you think tox is going steady when you can't add basic ass features that are necessary for it to match the capabilities of skype, or be useful at all?

Weebs are too busy watching animu while Bleep already has more users with their pre-Alpha today.
>>
>>43317751
>you can if a stable version hasnt been released yet.
You... what?
>>
>>43317764
If they want people to buy their product when it is released, they need to shill it beforehand
simple
>>
>>43317786
It isn't like Tox will ever release a commercial version.
>>
>>43317751
>the fact that the MPAA sees tox as a big enough threat that they would create bleep means that everyone should keep using tox
You people are delusional if you REALLY believe that anyone is trying to compete with little known software made by a bunch of neckbeards.

Tox was made as an alternative to Skype. Firefox just came out with their own video and voice calling, and Bitorrent is releasing Bleep. Both are just competing with the already established giant, which is Skype.
>>
>>43317812
>decentralized p2p encypted chat
>competing with skype
>not competing with tox
fag baggler
>>
Bleep's popularity may strengthen the need for an open-source alternative, Tox.
>>
>>43317812
Is it not suspicious that they're using the same system as Tox?
>>
>>43317751
you really think that the mpaa owns the company that created the bittorrent protocol and publishes the most popular torrent client?

you really think you can win in the free market with an inferior product?

I'm not saying that anything the bit torrent people have done recently has any merit, but what you are talking about has no basis in reality.
>>
>>43317678
Group video is being developed in a separate repository and is nearing completion.
The design of offline messaging is already done, along with most of the implementation (which was actually written as part of the group chat stuff originally, as announce messages for group chats). You're very naive if you think Bleep has been developed overnight, it's likely been in development for as long as Tox has, if not longer. I'd be very surprised if Bleep gets group video chats within the next half a year, but Tox is nearly there.
>>
>>43317834
>MS gets called out by Snowden leaks for being the NSA's lapdog
>omg /g/ is the only group allowed to think of anything that could be safer
>if anyone does anything similar to my idea it means they stole it from me because I am a genius
>>
>>43317851
Not really, no. Tox just stole the ideas from other projects in the first place.
>>
>>43317885
>other projects that got announced this week
>>
>>43317872
>omg /g/ is the only group allowed to think of anything that could be safer
better /g/ than bittorrent with closed-source software
>if anyone does anything similar to my idea it means they stole it from me because I am a genius
I didnt even help develop tox
>>
>>43317872
The visual design of it even looks near identical to Tox. What other IM software do you know that uses public keys as usernames? Face it, Tox did it first.
>>
>>43317885
you cant steal an idea.

you can infringe on an implementation or design, but not an idea.
>>
>>43317903
Tox stole the ideas from other projects and just said "let's incorporate this stuff into a clone of skype." It's not really a huge brain wave to have.
>>
What is the motive of this people desperately defending Bleep? Why do they hate Tox so much? Why are they so desperate for something to 'kill' Tox, rather than something they can use for secure messaging? They seem to not even care about the actual software, only that it kills Tox.
>>
>>43317635
>Realise that Tox does more

The only thing Tox does more is having more clients, because its a fragmented piece of shit.

Seriously, go back to your Tox thread and go make Tox client for Linux number 57 or something.
>>
>>43316480
Haha thats so sad, you actually thought someone would be interested in adding you....awwww
>>
>>43317940
Which projects? Tox did it over a year before Bleep was even known about.
>>
>>43317885
Yea but to use the EXACT SAME METHOD in a program that does EXACTLY THE SAME THING after the original project becomes usable?
>>
>>43317845
>Bleep's popularity may strengthen the need for an open-source alternative, Tox.

There's probably more Bleep users than Tox users right now lol
>>
>>43317635
>Go look at what Bleep can do.
>Go look at what Tox can do.
i don't care about any of them, you stupid shit
>>
>>43317996
>usable
Tox isn't even close to usable. It's a hunk of shit and will be for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>43317966
Why do you feel the need to shill for BitTorrent?
>>
If you look at the Tox thread right now, the team is talking about selling Tox t-shirts to try and make some money before Bleep renders them useless.

Not even joking.
>>
>>43317992
>what projects
Tor etc. "Let's decentralize ___ and use public keys" is not a new idea at all. Get over it.
>>
>>43317966
>Video chat
>Audio chat
>Group chat
>File transfer
>Usernames
>OS X support
>Linux support
>Android support
>iOS support

shill harder
>>
>>43318022
But it's objectively more complete than Bleep.
>>
>>43318027
>>Why do you feel the need to shill for BitTorrent?

Why do you Tox devs have to make 7 different Linux clients? Why can't you stop being autistic and make just one Linux client?

Also, how much money do you think you will make by selling Tox t-shirts? You guys are talking about that in your thread right tnow, right? Do you think you guys will be able to scam some money out of people by selling t-shirts now?
>>
>>43318061
All of that is coming to Bleep. Bleep already does audio calls.
>>
>>43318022
It's currently pretty fucking usable retard.
Not for daily use but any retard like you can download a zip file and run it to chat with someone. No effort needed.
>>
File: 1371212407333.gif (753 KB, 200x86) Image search: [Google]
1371212407333.gif
753 KB, 200x86
>closed source
>>
>>43318040
>If you look at the Tox thread right now, the team is talking about selling Tox t-shirts

lol holy shit they are
>>
>>43317965
it's just people either joking, or they believe that the only thing tox was being made for was being decentralized, which bleep apparently is, too
>>
>>43318094
>tox devs
Because there aren't "tox devs". There are people that decide they want to help with something. Tox doesn't employ people (besides GSoC). You can't force someone who only knows C to work on a Vala client, or vice versa. You've got the people who know C all working on one client, and the people who know Vala all working on another client. How hard is that to understand? If we said let's just have one client, then all the Vala devs would be sat there doing fucking nothing. Holy shit I can't figure out whether the average /g/ user has an IQ of 65 or there's some serious fucking shilling going on.
>>
>>43318126
how much did you get paid to shill bleep?
>>
File: 1391585014298.jpg (7 KB, 267x323) Image search: [Google]
1391585014298.jpg
7 KB, 267x323
>>43318164
>it's pretty usable
>but nor for daily use
>>
>>43318094
>implying i'm a tox developer
>implying i even use tox
>>
>>43318015
>i don't care about any of them, you stupid shit
then why in the fuck are you in this thread?

>walk into coffee shop
>get asked if you want a coffee
>what? fuck you i hate coffee!
>>
>>43316249
That makes me trust it more.

>NEET
>Bad
Normie get out.
>>
>>43318126
So it doesn't have it yet, while Tox does. Group video chat is coming to Tox, but it's not confirmed to be coming to Bleep.
>>
>>43318004
That may be so. What I mean is that there will be those that see Bleep and want something that's open-source instead, both users and developers. Tox supporters just need to advertize Tox whenever Bleep is mentioned anywhere.
>>
>>43318217
>Group video chat is coming to Tox,

They can claim that, but it doesn't mean it will happen.

It's been over a year and Tox isn't even working well at basic shit on any platform.
>>
>>43317005

>A software that is free has a big bug
>which is common in all software
>in the case of proprietary software the devs often alert the alphabet soup agencies to the bug so they can exploit

>>"hurdur freesodtware bugs guise luk. Plz stap in stalin goo puls lugnuts" - Sweaty Ballsmer
>>
>>43315730
That is the opinion of a LOSER.
Are you a LOSER anon?
/g/ is not full of LOSERs, at least some of /g/ are WINNERS and some of those WINNERs are working on Tox RIGHT NOW.
Only a LOSER would think Tox is kill, real WINNERs would never give up on Tox on some FUD.
Tox is not kill.
Tox is WINNER.
>>
>>43318237
>What I mean is that there will be those that see Bleep and want something that's open-source instead, both users and developers.

Yeah, a meaningless number of people. Bleep is already being Tox with one pre-Alpha on one platform.
>>
Gee, who owns bittorrent again? FUCK THAT.
>>
>>43318261
You LITERALLY just said the same damn thing for Bleep. Bleep can claim what they like, but it doesn't mean it's true. They can claim it's secure but that doesn't mean they haven't put a backdoor in it, and you have no way of checking.

How long do you think Bleep has been in development for anyway? Fuck you're retarded.
>>
>>43318289
>Gee, who owns bittorrent again?

Who?
>>
>>43318312
stop swearing please
>>
>>43318278
Users that will shortly realise that Bleep is a pile of shit.
>>
>>43318324
https://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-and-mpaa-join-forces/
>>
I would rather use ICQ than this U.S closed source shit, developed by a Jew.
>>
>>43318324
The joos, you silly goy.
>>
>>43318126
Nobody gives a fat shit about bleep. I'd much rather use something made by /g/ neckbeards than something made by neckbeards somewhere else.
>>
>>43318821
This
>>
This is obviously using the tox source code, but made closed source.
>>
>>43318971
this
>>
>>43318971
when will open sores learn
>>
>>43319119
victim blaming
>>
>>43319132
what of it?
>>
>>43319185
He's referring to you blaming open source software for being open source rather than proprietary software for leeching code.
>>
>>43319297
This is the disadvantage of open source and the reason why proprietary exists..
Proprietary can't leech anything if you protect your source code.
>>
>>43319363
You shouldn't have to "protect" your source code in the first place.
>>
>multiple "le tox kil" threads
>during an age when governments are known to manipulate technologically oriented internet boards
>we are such a board

JTRIG and all that.
>>
This thread is fucking shill.
>>
File: implyingbleepismorepopular.png (22 KB, 641x125) Image search: [Google]
implyingbleepismorepopular.png
22 KB, 641x125
kek
>>
>>43321757
>/r/technology 5M subscribers
>/r/privacy 36K subscribers
kek

>>43319363
Except it is protected, legally under the GPL. I was for permissive licenses like MIT/BSD, but GPLfags really do have a point.
>>
I kind of wish Tox were as easy/simple to set up and use as Skype.
Sure, not everyone I know would use it, but if it is p2p and could offer better better video quality as a result, I'm sure my lady and family would use it when we talk to each other.
>>
File: smiley.png (15 KB, 117x117) Image search: [Google]
smiley.png
15 KB, 117x117
>closed source
>trusting bittorrent
>>
File: 1399107834740.png (213 KB, 1488x1488) Image search: [Google]
1399107834740.png
213 KB, 1488x1488
>4 years from now
>year of the non-free Linux desktop
>Richard Stallman commits suicide
>Bleep is the most popular IM program
>Skype is dead
>Google buys Bleep for 6 billion shekels
>Bleep is no longer decentralized
>>
>>43315427
>BitTorrent Bleep
>BitTorrent

How big of a dumbfuck are you? Tox is open source text, voice, and video with solid cryptography.

This Bleep bullshit is closed source and from an organization that is pretty much a known collaborator.

I wonder which one I trust more.
>>
>>43322068
They're doing even worse in /r/technology and if you look at the comments it's people warning people that it's probably backdoored and that it's useless because it's closed source.
>>
>>43315427
This. I wouldn't install Tox even if someone paid me.
>>
>>43322263
>people warning people that it's probably backdoored and that it's useless because it's closed source.

reditards or not, you gotta love that
>>
>>43322263
>utox in linux
https://pay.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2c4xh3/utox_a_lightweight_tox_client_libre_secure_p2p

vs

>bleep in technology
https://pay.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2c7mgh/bittorrent_unveils_nsaproof_online_calling_and/
>bleep in privacy
https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/2c7zau/bleep_bittorrent_unveils_serverless_encrypted/

keep on shilling fgt
>>
>>43322294
Yeah, I wasn't quite expecting that from them. Impressed.
>>
>>43322068
Wait, were the Tox devs really stupid enough to not gpl, and thus, allowed this?
>>
>>43322359
Tox is GPL.
>>
>>43322384
So then if this is actually just ripping from Tox, it's illegal, and will get shut down.
In that case, someone contact the FSF.
>>
How do you prove that some closed source software stole code?
>>
>>43315751
>>43315772
>>43315787
>>43315796
>>43315805
>>43315806
>>43315836
>>43315858
>>43315908
>>43315931
>>43316049
>>43316224
>>43316369
>>43316586
>>43316725
>>43316757
>>43316773
+ more quotes
Faggots detected. Network services are not free or nonfree. Sorry if I did not understand it to be P2P.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Closed
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.html

Oh, and all these Toxfags crying of their loss in war makes me laugh.

>>43316727
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Monetize
>>
>>43322411
Checking for same behavior, quirks, etc.
Same way people check if someone used something proprietary without permission.
>>
>>43322411
Basically >>43322426

When the Soviets reverse engineered the B52 they even managed to include all the little fuckups and mistakes in the design and manufacture, too.
>>
>>43322426
Are there any cases where a closed source software stole and used open source code and got found out?
What sort of punishments could you get from doing that?
>>
>>43322398
Bleep is closed source, so you can't prove it unless >>43322426.
>>
File: Tox a shit.png (123 KB, 1045x565) Image search: [Google]
Tox a shit.png
123 KB, 1045x565
>>43322384
Correction: Tox is harmfully licensed as GPLv3+ with non-free logos, and doesn't obey the DFSG. The developers have built proprietary tools and released them on GitHub. Even the documentation is incompatible with the software, and was non-free.
No efforts have been made to solve these issues.

Pic related, stqism being a faggot after the Tox logo got removed from Wikimedia Commons for violating copyright. It still remains deleted.
>>
>>43322453
gpl-violations.org
>>
>>43322412
You're fucking retarded
>>
>>43322470
thanks
>>
>>43322453
Normally having to pay damages, and remove the infringing code, or changing the program to a compatible license, and paying damages.
>>
>>43322479
Mhm. Listen, my unintelligent chum, your half-witted posts are proven most detrimental to our community. Why don't you leave this place and find somewhere better suited to your own interests, like 9gag? You fucking moron!
>>
>>43322462
go to bed wub
>>
>>43322462
see
>>43322479
>>
>>43322518
rather intelligent discourse you have there for valid points against your position. why dont you see yourself out as >>43322505
says
>>
>closed source
>made by BitTorrent Inc.
>"Create Account"

Sounds to me like Bleep is just jumping on the bandwagon of shit like WhatsApp and Snapchat.
>>
>>43322540

>>43317584
>>
>>43322587
See >>43322412
>>
>>43322589
even better discourse please continue flinging shit in a /b/ tier fashion surely that will convince 3rd parties to side with you. also i am not AP but tox is literally a gargantuan sack of dismembered penises.
>>
>>43322594
see
>>43322479
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.