[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plan 9
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: glenda_blue_gene.png (393 KB, 664x438) Image search: [Google]
glenda_blue_gene.png
393 KB, 664x438
How many of you have installed Plan 9? What have you used it for? Did you go vanilla Plan 9 or something like Inferno or Plan9Front?
>>
If I could get 9front to install on my ThinkPad T41 and have the wireless work, I would use it on there full time.
>>
Nobody uses plan 9 outside of a vm.
>>
>>43212712
Nobody uses plan 9
>>
>>43212725
nobody uses
>>
>>43212725
Nobody uses plan
>>
>>43212741
>>43212749

Nobody
>>
>>43212768
>>43212749
>>43212741
>>43212725
'no'
>>
>>43212703
Have you gotten networking to work otherwise? I have it set to have dhcpcd to take care of things, but ip/ipconfig keeps saying that it's failed (for reasons not listed in the error message)
>>
>>43212792
The Ethernet works fine on it, but I don't really have the option the use it on anything but a wireless connection.
>>
Plan 9's Rio looks like utter shit.
>>
I installed it on an old i486 laptop, it's neat I guess but I'm not a fan of mice (or in this case a trackpoint) in general. I tried to change the resolution but I forgot the laptop's native res and there's no documentation online. I guessed the wrong resolution and now it doesn't boot. The install CD just wants to try and boot from the hard drive so I'll wipe the plan 9 partitions from a GNU/Linux CD and reinstall when I get a chance.
>>
>>43212683
How to get my mouse working on plan 9?

Also, my duel moniters didn't work either.
>>
It's cool but it's too minimalistic for me. I don't know what I'd need to do to be able to port my favorite software to it like Quod Libet and Firefox. It only uses one monitor as apparently, multiple monitors are considered harmful.
>>
>>43212683
i ran it with a bootloader I wrote myself! :)

only because the professor for the OS class at my school works on it though. He's described how occasionally their usage/downloads graph will spike and he assumes that it's the same guy seeing if plan 9 still works on his shit from the 80s or something
>>
side note: it's a little weird (though pretty cool) that syscalls return strings
>>
>>43213547
is that a good idea?
>>
File: 200px-Black_2_White_2_N.png (40 KB, 200x317) Image search: [Google]
200px-Black_2_White_2_N.png
40 KB, 200x317
>>43213744
>>
>>43213396
A mouse-centric interface would suck balls with a trackpad. It's too bad nobody's made a window manager that doesn't rely on the mouse.
>>
>>43213520
>Quod Libet
You'd need to port cython to Plan 9 and then it'd probably work fine.

>Firefox
You'd need to port a C++ compiler to Plan 9 and translate the C to Plan 9-y C.
>>
Now that Plan 9 is being released under GPLv2, is there a chance that it'll get more attention/developers?
>>
>>43214079
uwutm8?

there are tons
>>
>>43213744
>>
>>43214079
What are tiling window managers
>>
>>43214506
>posted from plan9
>>
>>43214480
It won't. The people who were only interested in GPL2 would have used the Inferno OS fork of Plan 9. Inferno OS is currently just a footnote that very few people know about.
>>
>>43214522
Well, yeah, obviously, but there aren't any available for Plan 9.
>>
the cat-v people are being plan9front and it shows. some of the scripts they added are both hilarious and kind of horrifying at the same time.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.