[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will it make Windows 8.1 slightly more usable /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11
File: StartMenu.png (2 MB, 755x566) Image search: [Google]
StartMenu.png
2 MB, 755x566
Will it make Windows 8.1 slightly more usable /g/?
>>
>>43000109
>virtual prison
>usable
>>
>>43000109
> "All Apps"
> "Apps"
> Click it, suddenly metro all over the place

They're not fixing the underlying problems, they're just kind of inching themselves backwards, "sort of" fixing the things people complained about so that they can shut them up while still being able to play Apple with the whole "We knew what people wanted before they did".

People hated metro and wanted the start menu back. Microsoft told them to fuck off.
People started installing 3rd party start menu replacements. Microsoft introduced the NEW AND REVOLUTIONARY start button that was nothing but an on-screen superkey.

Now they're introducing the NEW AND IMPROVED TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE start menu that's essentially a stripped-down Win7 start menu with a "Shut down" button, metro tiles, an extra taskbar for gluing commonly used applications, and of course a shortcut button to the metro screen.

It's simple; Microsoft wants to be right. But they're not right. So instead of admitting that they're not right, they cover their ears and chant "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" until all of the bad people who doesn't understand how great they are, go away.
>>
File: faildows8.jpg (16 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
faildows8.jpg
16 KB, 620x465
Metro UI is the most annoying piece of shit I've ever used. It's like the birth of IE. Not to mention how ugly that shit looks.
>>
I really doubt it will be an improvement over Windows 7 in any way.
>>
>>43000368
Does the "all apps" button takes you to the old metro screen? Crap I thought that shit was long gone for good.
>>
>>43000844
But IE is a cutie.
>>
>>43000877
and yet they have begun to threat us with "the days of windows 7 are numbered" shit
>>
>>43000956
Of course they did. Microsoft is going to shit faster than ever before.
>>
>>43000368
>They're not fixing the underlying problems

I can fix the underlying problem for you real easy:
Stop being such a cunt.

I remember when /g/ actually had relevant arguments against using a Microsoft OS. Crying about how the UI looks funny and why change makes you wet your pants is just fucking stupid.

>install gentoo
>>
>>43000877
Windows 8.1 benchmarks faster than Windows 7 in almost every metric.

>but muh start menu
>>
What is wrong with Windows 8 other than the UI? I've not noticed anything different from 7 other than the UI and I've gotten used to that.
>>
Why can't they add a major new feature like multiple workspaces instead of stupid little shit like this?
>>
>>43001059
My windows 8 spergs out when I use my hdmi to connect it to my tv but my windows 7 doesn't

Check mate.
>>
I can't believe that's supposedly a leaked shot of Windows 9

At first glance I thought it was some derpy start menu add on for Windows 8
>>
>>43001112
It says Windows 8.1 Pro you donut.
>>
>>43001097
This.
If I want to watch a video and play a game at the same time, it won't let me.
The second screen blacks out.
>>
File: 66.jpg (38 KB, 468x435) Image search: [Google]
66.jpg
38 KB, 468x435
>start menu is full screen
>everyone loses their shit and forgets how to use a computer
>menu is a small slideout window (same interface)
>people think its the second coming

Wow I think I've lose all faith in humanity.

Nevermind the fact that there are people on /g/ right now who actually used the Start Menu on Win7.
>>
>>43001112
you know win9 is really supposed to be 8.2, just renamed for marketing reasons because no one likes 8.
>>
>>43000109
They're not really interested in making it more usable. They want to push MS users away from the PC market into the tablet and smartphone market.
>>
Metro ain't going away folks

http://www.inferse.com/16134/microsoft-now-cloud-first-mobile-first-company-says-ceo-satya-nadella/
>>
>>43001157
>Not windows 6.4
>>
>>43001139
Im running 8.1 and can movie and game at the same time. This sounds much more related to your video card.
>>
>>43001139
>>43001097
What boards/gpus do you guys have? I'm not having this problem on 8.1
But i'm sure my hardware is different to yours.
>3rd party hardware driver issues
>blame operating system
>>
Windows 8 was made thinking on touchscreens, and that's cool and everything for tablets and gimmicks, but it shouldn't be a standar in no way.
>>
>>43001214
>People still think this
>People still don't know how to click the Desktop tile
>>
>>43001157
8 itself is 7.2.
>>
No it's still fucking shit because all those 'apps' are still fullscreen tablet garbage.

I'm not going to upgrade from 8.1 + Classic Shell anytime soon.

For Win9 they should just bundle Classic Shell into the install and disable modern UI.

There I fixed Windows (some what)
>>
It doesn't change usability at all.
>>
>>43000109
How is win8 not usable? I get everything done like I did with vista and 7. Only real complaint for leechers is the abyssmal wifi gui.
>>
>>43001236
what makes you think I don't know how to use it?
>>
I miss aero :(
>>
>>43000109
i already installed classic shell on win8, but it didn't make it usable until i dbaned it and installed manjaro
>>
File: Capture.png (8 KB, 247x391) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8 KB, 247x391
Daily reminder the Windows 8 start menu is superior to earlier ones
>>
>>43001249
>I'm not forced to use 'metro' in any way
>but I sure as hell am going to cry about it anyway
>>
Windows 8 was more of a business decision for MS than anything else. They saw the market share that Apple and Android have with their smartphones and tablets, combined with their perception that the PC is a dying breed. MS is trying to play catch-up with Apple and Android, and Win8 was the result.
>>
>>43001286
http://www.[spoiler]glass8.eu/[/spoiler]

Closest thing I've found.

Theres a website to go that will remove the watermark and popup. The programs called glasspwn or somethin.
>>
File: zarathustra2.jpg (289 KB, 500x716) Image search: [Google]
zarathustra2.jpg
289 KB, 500x716
>>43001391
>our core business is dying
>let's kill it faster!

Good reasoning there, Zarathustra.
>>
>>43001405
Thank you, looks nice
>>
>>43001239
And 7 itself is vista.2 so what is your point?
>>
>>43001429
That Windows hasn't really evolved much since Vista.
>>
It's like Microsoft know they fucked up but don't want to make a full reversal
>>
>>43001290
>people bitch about metro being too kiddy and colourful
>prefer their not as kiddy as metro start menu over your pic
Why are humans so affraid of a little change?
>>
>>43001447
No reason too imo except for increasing performance.
>>
>>43000882
From some windows will behave differently based on what it's installed on, aka start screen on tablet stuff, start menu on desktops.
>>
File: top-smartphone-OS-US-Q1-2014.png (98 KB, 1317x922) Image search: [Google]
top-smartphone-OS-US-Q1-2014.png
98 KB, 1317x922
>>43001420
You were saying?
>>
>>43001510
>the only thing wrong with Windows is performance
How high are you?
>>
>>43001447
Well it can't evolve since every change Microsoft makes is whined about by spergs hating the slightest difference.
>>
>>43001534
Yeah I was, I don't see how this goes against what I said in the slightest.

Their phone market share sucks.

Their phone market share will continue to suck.

That's not a good reason to kill off your core market, which is PC.

Go find a fun pie graph for that.
>>
>>43000109
Using windows 7 makes it more usable :^)
>>
>>43001561
Metro was designed for assburgers who like to stack boxes and still live in the 1980s.
>>
File: 1403678532754.jpg (172 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1403678532754.jpg
172 KB, 1920x1200
>>43001148
>there are people on /g/ right now that used windows 7 when they used windows 7
>>
File: projected_sales.png (69 KB, 640x343) Image search: [Google]
projected_sales.png
69 KB, 640x343
>>43001572
They're not trying to kill their PC market share, they're trying to expand their smartphone and tablet market share. The problem is they're doing at the expense of the PC, because they know projection of PC sales looks bleak. In other words, they have incentive to improve an OS for a touchscreen device, not PCs. That's why there won't be much improvement new versions of windows; it isn't cost effective.

tl;dr They don't want you to buy a PC. They want you to buy a Windows smartphone or tablet.
>>
File: dwm-20100318.png (189 KB, 1280x801) Image search: [Google]
dwm-20100318.png
189 KB, 1280x801
>>43001656
>Metro was designed for assburgers who like to stack boxes and still live in the 1980s.
>Metro
>kek
>>
>>43001035
>muh startup times
All they did was rename Hibernate to Shut Down.
>>
>>43001290
There is literally no reason whatsoever why both this and the old start menu couldn't coexist.
>>
>>43000109
what a load of shit that "OS" is
>>
>>43001534
yay android -- what I like about android (as a developer), is how familiar it all is

its linux .. its an easy slide over, whereas apple?
having to get a mac to even develop in it (or run the knock off version (no))

develop for "surface"? develop for some very obscure thing .. why bother .. same as making a website work with IE. forget microsoft
>>
If Windows doesn't reimplement Classic theme, then I will stay on Windows 7 until 2020, then maybe try Ubuntu/Debian minimal after.
>>
>>43001059
>Flash bundled in whether you like it or not
>"Search" function became Bing: the snooping without disabling 3 or 4 options in different locations
>Boot loader doesn't play friendly with other OSs
>"Apps" and "App Market Place" are an absolute fucking joke for desktops
>Windows Update has never wanted to restart your computer so much or annoy the shit out of you
>Random shit blue-screens for computers with AMD GPUs (seriously, it got worse)
The list goes on.
>>
>>43002931
you've got to ask what does windows actually DO

nothing .. people are stuck on this flawed platform
just because it's there (universal) -- they got that basic PC monopoly .. a few viable products which were held back, controlled and hey 25 years later, people think that's the world

microsoft provides nothing, but controls a lot
>>
>>43001013
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what a post from the MODS (Microsoft Online Damage-control Squad) looks like.

Notice the baby-duck strawman, obvious hostility invitation and attempt to "blend in" by using a badly placed /g/ meme.
>>
>>43002945
would you use this for any kind of an enterprise

so many other viable, free, alternatives
>>
>>43000368
neowin.net/news/windows-threshold-a-distinctive-new-look-and-a-home-for-cortana
>>
>>43000368
I suppose I'll have to keep saying this until people understand.

Microsoft had no choice but to do what they did here. Apple was thriving with OS X and Macs, even thought sales were much smaller than the Windows market. But it was growing at 25-30% a year, increasing marketshare.

But then Apple rocks the boat with the iPhone and iOS, based off OS X Unix. The phone becomes very popular, and Google copies the concept with Android, which also becomes very popular. This kills of Microsoft's phone OS, Windows Mobile.

Then, and far worse, Apple comes out with the iPad, which despite being misunderstood by the press at first, and derided by top Microsoft executives, Ballmer and Gates, becomes very popular, resulting in slowing PC sales.

Microsoft becomes frantic (that's something we can certainly assume, behind the scenes). They have nothing to compete with here.

As iPhone and iPad sales soar, and Android phone sales soar even more, Microsoft tries to counter that, but they have nothing, and no foothold in either market. Apple can afford to do what they're doing as they were the pioneers here. But Microsoft is stuck.

The problem for them is that there was no time. None at all. Apple's products were pushing Microsoft's out of business. The iPhone replaced Win Mobile and the Blackberry. The iPad is replacing notebooks and even some desktops, mostly Windows machines.
>>
>>43003431
So Microsoft needed to move fast. Can you imagine what would have happened if they decided to come up with something entirely new, and waited for touch screen computer screens to drop in price? That would have pushed it out at least another year, and if that happened, Microsoft would be dead, as their smartphones and tablets would have no chance at all.

So they went to the only mobile UI they had. The one for the failed Zune HD, and brought that up to speed, and entered it as a smartphone UI. It basically failed there too.

So they did what they always do and called it Windows, and developed the same mobile UI for Win 8, figuring that people HAD to upgrade to that when they bought a new computer, and that would give them their in for smartphones and tablets.

So while you are correct in that its too early in some sense, in the more important sense of timing, it's almost too late! They simply couldn't wait another year. If they did, there would be no room for it. All the business software for tablets is being written for iOS, and almost all for smartphones is being written for iOS.

Apple can afford to slowly bring iOS and OS X together as far as UI and features are concerned as their mobile sales are doing very well, and their computer sales are flat, rather than dropping 14% a quarter.

But Microsoft had to do this in one fell swoop. But it's not a good way to have done it.

If Microsoft didn't get there early enough, there would be no room for their OS. It's almost too late now.
>>
>>43003452
micorosoft stitched up their userbase to force development of a mobile platform
>>
>>43002902
point is (re: IE.) sites could work with all browsers
but there had to be a separate code base for IE. microsoft was trying to create their own arena of "compatibility", a "vacuum"

where are they now
>>
>>43004008
micorosoft was trying to enforce its flawed model as the model .. microsofts version of the HTML curmudgeon has never been fixed

but they liked to maintain it as the "standard", because they're bastards and they'll never deal with anyone else (how a monopoly operates).

all that is over. people are walking away from their crummy symbolic platform en masse. the days of being hired for their fucking "skills" are OVER. welcome to the new generation, mobile. they aint anwyhere in it. marketing shills say no
>>
>>43001391
Close, but not quite. My understanding is that Gates and Ballmer always saw the tablet as a PC, and when they saw Apple be successful with a tablet that was a less capable device than a PC was, they thought it was stupid and thought that the only reason it did so well was because of things like the UI, thickness, and price. So they tried to shove a touchscreen UI onto their PC operating system thinking it would allow actual Tablet PCs to start gaining the kind of money the iPad did, and they were wrong. Now we have Satya Nadella who wants to make mobile devices their priority over everything else, however he wants to do it all under this whole, "One Microsoft," deal. I believe that the idea behind Threshold is that it will be extremely similar, (if not the same,) operating system for desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, and Xbox Ones, and this whole Universal Windows Apps initiatives will make porting software between the five a lot easier than it was before. But, I dunno.
>>
>>43003431
>Microsoft had no choice but to do what they did here.
Bull fucking shit. Apple didn't, aren't and never will try to push a tablet UI on desktops because that's a fucking retarded idea.

Microsoft could've easily allowed dual-mode applications that can run on desktops and tablets. Instead, they decided to just make everything operate like tablets. That's not a good idea, and fuck you for saying that it is.
>>
>pc just forced an update to windows 8.1
>firefox has been fucking up ever since
suffering
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.