[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: linusfuckyou.gif (2 MB, 400x360) Image search: [Google]
linusfuckyou.gif
2 MB, 400x360
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Dual-boot Linux with Windows/Mac (recommend if you want to learn more about Linux)
4) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted, we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working onnmaking it feel the way you want it.

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic [it's reddit-tier] -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse/puke-inducing like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

Check out this page for any updates on the OP
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux

Previously on: >>52364146
>>
File: P60111-192447.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
P60111-192447.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
first for geeentoo
>>
whats the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager?
>>
So i just installed ubuntu and im looking for a desktop environment that is different then windows. ive already tried xfce kde cinnamon etc but they are too close to windows for me. i basically want t try something new.
>>
>>52376100
unity? Couldn't be much different to windows.
>>
>>52376081
a de takes care of automagically those things you never think about very much, like the panel. wifi connectivity, autostarts, default file manager and preset default programs
a wm, you manually set most of that shit the first time, to get everything exactly to your liking
>>
>>52376058
A window manager is a part of a desktop environment.

A WM does essentially what the name implies: it manages the windowed versions of programs. A basic, barebones WM will provide nothing more than a way to manage windows.

A DE, on the other hand, offers more features. The most obvious thing is the inclusion of panels. Just as often, those panels are featured with useful widgets (network managers, for example). You also get GUI applications to change settings for the WM/DE.

For instance, take Openbox and LXDE. Openbox is a WM, and when you install it by itself, you just have a blank screen. You can get the Openbox menu by right-clicking on the background, but for there's really not much that Openbox offers by itself besides a way to manage windows. In fact, you have to install the GUI settings application for it by yourself.

LXDE uses Openbox as its WM. It adds panels; it includes the GUI settings.
>>
There's nothing quite as thrilling as actually managing to get a piece of software to work properly, after running into dependency issues and googling how to fix them. I just finished getting Xilinx ISE (IDE for Verilog, among other things; required for school) up and running, which turned out to be an all-day project.

First, the download was 6 GB, which took a few hours on my shitty wifi extender (I can get 25 Mb/s right by the router, but the extender for the other end of the house gives me 10 on a good day). After that, it wouldn't launch because it said it was missing some Qt library file. Turns out it's misnamed, and I had to correct that.

Once the program itself was working, I had to get the license installed. The licensing tool wouldn't launch due to some other library not working. Turns out the version packaged with the program simply doesn't work, and I had to delete it so it would find the system one instead and use that. Now that the license tool itself was launching, it wasn't generating proper request.xml files to let me get an "activation" license. That turned out to be an issue with my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, it needed to have Xilinx's common library path.

After doing all that shit, it finally worked, and it's the best feeling in the world.
>>
Trying to resize a FAT32 partition on a flash drive I've loaded mint onto. I'm trying to create a larger persistent casper0rw partition because my drive is larger than 4GB. However Gparted keeps crashing on me while resizing the FAT32 partition. I'm new to linux but from my understanding Mint won't support a version of gparted higher than 0.18 so I am unable to upgrade to the 0.19 version with the fix for this resize bug. Can anyone help me figure out either how else I can resize my persistent storage partition or what distro I can use that supports gparted 0.19 or higher so that I can use that instead?
>>
Debian with xfce and Numix theme here. It looks slightly off with the scroll bar being red all the time and terminal having a solid color instead of the greyish color. Any idea what I'm missing?
>>
>>52375845
>>52375845
> using a help PC to install Gentoo

I'm just being a dick. Good to see a fellow Gentoo user roaming about.

I went into my install with no idea what I was doing. I spent 9 days desperately trying to solve a kernel panic, gave up and tried to install Arch, then gave up on that and spent three days actually correctly following the Gentoo installation process.

I learned more from those 12 days (plus three to get my laptop to a point where I could just sit down and use it with no issues) than I did from my prior two and a half years on Fedora.

Fedora has a special place in my heart as the first distro I ever tried (I was seven years old), but it was time to move up in the Linux world.

> inb4 nine-year-old
I started using Linux full-time two and a half years ago when I was sixteen. Before that it was sort of a hobby thing on an old PC I rarely used.
>>
Not sure if this a linux issue or if my Hard Drive is just failing, but:

> Hard drive occasionally bumps to write-protected
> no warning
> Just takes away all function other than moving between windows

And even worse:
> occasionally mounts as sdb, regardless of what's plugged in, resulting in a kernel panic
> occasionally does not detect drive at all, causing kernel panic

I can solve this by going into a live CD and recompiling the kernel and reinstalling Grub, but obviously I'd rather this not happen at all.

Issue first started when I started trying to install Gentoo and dd'd my drive full of Pseudorandom Data, then later full of Zeros. I suspect wiping a two-and-a-half-year-old hard drive like that could have fucked it up somewhat.

Regardless of the distribution I install, this issue pops up now.

Sometimes it goes days without trouble, other times it doesn't last an hour.

Anyone sure what's up?
>>
>>52377269
It sounds like a hard drive controller failure.
>>
>>52377326
Could very well be. Can this be resolved in Kernel Config (I can't imagine it would work at all if I got that wrong) or should I just get a new drive?
>>
>>52377354
I would say ditch the controller if possible. Fighting it would be an uphill battle.
>>
>>52377364
So hardware or software? (I'm sorry for the hilariously newfaggy question, I pretty much only know what I needed to learn to make Gentoo work)
>>
>>52377414
Hardware
It COULD be the hard drive as well, but the controller could cause both problems. The drive becoming sdb would be the controller's fault.
>>
Trying to expand casper-rw for a live Mint USB I'm booting to on my macbook. However after creating the new expanded partition and deleting the old casper-rw file I get stuck when booting to the drive on an initramfs prompt/busybox. Any ideas?
>>
File: daffy.jpg (62 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
daffy.jpg
62 KB, 719x719
>>52377429
Damn. Ah well. I've been meaning to swap it out for an SSD anyway.

Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>52377449
I don't think you get what I mean by Hard Drive Controller. By your previous posts, I've should of guessed. Let me rephrase my first post.
It sounds like a MOTHERBOARD failure
>>
>>52377466
Ah shit.

This'll be a fun one to fix. I guess I'll let it limp along another few months until I get a new laptop. If it gets truly intolerable I'll cave and get a new one early.

I'm trying to wait for laptops with 4k monitors to become a thing.
>>
My wifi dongle keeps disconnecting itself.

dmesg shows the error

ieee80211 phy15: writing reg 0x1c36f0 (val 0x5000) failed (-5)

a lot of it.
Anyone seen this before, and can tell me how to fix it?
>>
>>52376638
Numix dark. You can find it for free somewhere. Or you could use arc darker
>>
>>52377487
Sounds like an obscure driver error. what kind of dongle is it?

>>52377485
>I'm trying to wait for laptops with 4k monitors to become a thing.
Well, don't hold your breath.
>>
>>52377485
Protip: Don't fall for the HiDPI/4k meme unless you like Ubuntu/Mint/Fedora/OpenSUSE. These distros are the only distros with distro-specific patches that make the experience bearable, and for the first two, you need to wait until for their next releases. Anything else will take some work for a lesser feel.
>>
>>52377520
http://support.netgear.com/product/WN111v2

This one, I'm pretty sure. I didn't have to do anything to get it working in Mint 17.3.
>>
Here I am again, I finally managed to stab myself in the gut to move forward. I'm jumping from gnome and I'm setting up my new openbox "environment" for the lack of a better term.

I was just wondering if you guys can recommend an application launcher somewhat similar to launchy(windows)/spotlight search.
Also if you want to answer another one I'm trying to pick a music player but all of these seem to have ludicrous features I don't need, I just want to play my songs locally and I don't sort by album or artist just a list of my songs.

Thanks in advance.
>>
Is there an easy way to adjust window sizes in i3 with just the keyboard? The CLI commands aren't the most efficient. And yes, I'm aware you can just drag with the mouse, but I don't even have a mouse connected most of the time.
>>
File: yes-skull.jpg (88 KB, 912x317) Image search: [Google]
yes-skull.jpg
88 KB, 912x317
>tfw Skullgirls + DualShock 4 just fucking works out of the box
I've got a fun fighter with gorgeous 2D art and more RPGs than I can shake a +4 sword at. Anyone know any good shmups for Linux?
>>
>>52377639
I still find it funny how Microsoft broke Xbox One controller compatibility so that people have to work around it, and yet the DS4 is more plug-and-play on linux than the Xbox360 controller is on Windows 7
>>
>>52377602
The ricefags seem to like dmenu. Cmus is a simple player but deadbeef is nice aswell.
>>
>>52377688
The only problem I ever had with my DS4 was trying to pair it to a defective bluetooth hub. It was literally zero work required except plugging it in to get it working on USB.
>>
>>52377691
Thanks /g/ood anon.
>>
> LXDE
> Logout button on lxpanel takes eternity to load the logout menu
> When it finally does none of the buttons work or I've never had the patience to sit and find out

Why? My leading theory is that this is a permissions issue.
>>
Can someone help me understand this:
There are distros, and there are desktop environments. They are different and unrelated. Is this correct?
>>
>>52377862
Yes. The only Distro-specific DE I know of is Unity, for Ubuntu.

Most come prepackaged with a certain DE, but that's just a developer decision I think.
>>
>>52377862
Yeah.

A distro is essentially:
* core utilities
* some other packed-in software (which usually contains at least one desktop environment, but in the case of minimal installation distros, doesn't contain any)
* repositories for more software
* package manager
And some other things.
>>
>>52377813
Could also be a power manager issue - I use upower-pm-utils.
>>
Reposting from last thread:
I've been running Mint Cinnamon for a while now, and it works great. I just found a very nice setting where pressing CTRL shows where the mouse pointer is.

However now whenever I attempt to switch tabs in the file explorer via CTRL + TAB, nothing happens.

Other applications, such as Firefox behave normally. Is there a workaround so I can have both features?
>>
>>52377862
Distro maintainers can sometimes make patches specific to their distros to make it bearable. Usually, these patches stay in their specific distros. Notable distros that do this are Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mint. These patches could be the deciding factor.
For example:
>Fedora has some wayland specific patches for Gnome and GDM. Only Arch has the patches for Gnome specifically

>OpenSUSE has patches to make KDE look more unified (Firefox is a good example)

>Mint has better HiDPI support for Cinnamon than other distros
>>
>>52377911
Also interested in this. I keep losing my mouse otherwise with dual monitors.

Can the mouse be snapped to a specific place on the screen?
>>
File: 0403151435.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
0403151435.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Just installed linux mint 17 on my budget rig, but I cant for the life of me get the video card drivers to work. Im running a radeon r9 270, does linux use catalyst, or is it some freeware type of program to adjust settings and handle the drivers?
>>
>>52378244
The AMD linux drivers are horrible.
>>
File: IMG_20150424_215950.jpg (1 MB, 1944x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150424_215950.jpg
1 MB, 1944x1944
>>52378256
Any advice on what I should do in regards to my OS?
>>
>>52378290
Install radeonsi somehow
>>
File: Terminals_Ubuntu_Debian.png (165 KB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
Terminals_Ubuntu_Debian.png
165 KB, 1920x2160
>>52377499
I'll try that tomorrow. Here a comparison with a fresh Ubuntu running on a VM and Debian running on the laptop. Ubuntu must have nice things installed to make the scroll bar not red all the time and having a consistent background with the terminal. That and I'm a moron.
>>
>>52378440
Pretty sure you can fix the scroll bar in your GTK theme config.
As for the terminal's background, that's a result of just having a different background colour than the scroll bar, that's on your terminal emulator's settings.
>>
>>52375795
Why is going balls deep and overwriting with Linux not recommended?
Wouldn't that be the fastest way to learn seeing as you don't really have a choice anymore?
>>
>>52378606
because your going to end up scared with no software that you need so you wipe linux and go back to windows
>>
>>52378623
Right. If that's it, how about going balls deep with an older laptop and using that one, and if/when I panic I can just switch to using my windows laptop?
Most of the relevant work I do is online, anyway
>>
>>52378606
its great if all youre going to do is sit and learn linux, like 18 year old on summer vacation

its pretty retarded if youre using your computer for work/uni and need to have certain stuff working
>>
>ended up being on ubuntu and will have to stick to it till the 18th or so
which retarded piece of shit designed unity alt tab? goddamn its infuriating
ill prob install some other de
>>
>>52375795
>>52375795

Can I boot up/install Ubuntu from a DVD using an external disk drive?

The computer in question is a Toshiba laptop and it doesn't have a built in RW disk drive, but I've just bought an external USB one.
>>
File: linux fags on sucide watch.png (10 KB, 526x91) Image search: [Google]
linux fags on sucide watch.png
10 KB, 526x91
>>52375795
Get a real os faggots
>>
>>52379184
Oh and second question.

First things I should do, customisation-wise, once I have Ubuntu installed?
>>
>>52379202
>what should I do after a linux install
>should I do
>should
wrong question
what do you want to do? you can literally do fuckall and have a functioning facebook machine, or you look up how to do X if you want to do X
>>
>>52379213
I guess I just meant essential things that take it from vanilla to something more optimal. A lot of operating systems have defaults that are problematic; like how bloated Windows is and the amount of superfluous startup services it has.

And I'll mainly be using it for development and browsing.

Also, can you answer this question: >>52379184
>>
>>52379253

Ubuntu feels fairly bloated to me personally, and definitely don't try Kubuntu, cause that shit ran horribly on my system, and it should be powerful enough to easily handle it.

I think xubuntu is supposed to be the lightweight unbuntu system, although I went with Manjaro with KDE and I'm loving it personally. I don't have any of the problems that Kubuntu had.
>>
>>52379253
I realize that but there isnt a definite answer. Youll have some argue Ubuntu is nothing but bloat, others the opposite. If you're going to use, say, a text editor google some to see whats available and look for what suits you if youre unhappy with the ubuntu default (no idea what it is).
>>52379184
yeah just put the iso on a usb, guide on ubuntu forums, arch wiki and various other places
>>
>tfw the only reason you won't switch to linux 100% is World of Warcraft
>>
I want to install Arch Linux on my Thinkpad a22p (Pentium 3 700MHz 387MB RAM), And I know exactly how to do it, but I don't know what window manager I should use. It obviously has to run well even on this aged system, but I don't want something that's extremely simple either. What do you suggest?
>>
Get this bullshit off of my fucking board
>>
How the hell do I use Gnome Boxes with Windows 10?
>>
>>52379307
>USB

I asked if I could boot it up from a DVD via an external disk drive, not a USB. I'm not asking what's best or easiest, just if that is possible.
>>
>>52379296
>>52379307
>>52379213

ITT: people don't answer questions and instead suggest completely irrelevant things

Sorry newbies
>>
>>52379627
sorry im tired, meant on the hdd
same shit as booting from usb, you just write it to the external hdd instead of a usb
>>
>>52379692
obviously back up your shit from the external drive first
>>
>>52379627
As in an external HDD or an external DVD drive ?
Either way you can do it. As long as the computer supports booting from a USB device, it doesn't matter whether it's a DVD drive, HDD, flash drive, or whatever.
>>
>>52379692
And it'll work through a disk drive connected via USB? I know this is confusing haha, what I mean is that it doesn't have a built-in disk drive so I'm using one of those ones connected externally through a USB port.
>>
>>52379720
yeah, ultimately you just need to be able to create a bootable disk of some sort
>>
>>52379769
I did that yesterday. Burned the ISO file to a DVD. I just need to see if my laptop boots via the DVD automatically or if I have to change any BIOS settings.
>>
>>52379707
I'm doing it on an old laptop. Cleared it already. Figured it's wiser to do it on a computer with nothing important on it.
>>
>>52379787
yeah id bet you have to change the boot order, never had a comp that defaults to usb boot
>>
>>52375845
is that a EEE PC installing gentoo

god it must take forever to install anything
>>
Should I get a new Nvidia GPU or go with AMD for my GPU-Passthrough machine? I'd like to go with the second one, but Nvidia drivers are clearly much better on GNU/Linux.

What do?
>>
>>52375795
I installed elementary OS a while ago, however I dual boot with windows, and I installed the linux with usb flash, however I installed linux Mint just now, but I dont know how to delete the elementary os, I have no files of value there, just want to delete it so it does not take space
>>
/flt/, I want to create an image of my Ubuntu to restore if later without the work of configuring. customizing etc.
Is CloneZilla really the easiest and safest way of doing this?
>>
>>52379809
So the external USB disk drive would come under USB port in the BIOS/UEIFI menu? I'm dreading finding the correct name.
>>
>unable to connect to X server
I just want to launch my DE ;_;
>>
I've added padding to (gnome-)terminal window with
VteTerminal {padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px;}
in
.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
. I wanted to ask my wife's son how to do the same with gedit, but he's gone atm.

It's certainly possible, as applying padding to * works, but obviously adds padding where it shoudn't. Any idea how to find the class I need?
>>
I'm spring cleaning my arch right now. Is there a script to show files which are leftovers from previous installs?
>>
>>52378256
Actually they are pretty good nowadays but mint is on kernel 3.18 or something.
>>
>>52380943
no, they are bad, rly bad
>>
>>52378290
Update your kernel
>>52380697
You installed xorg? Did you startx? Do you have any idea what you are doing?
>>
Hi guys, I use windows 8.1 and wanted to dual boot with linux 15.10 so I burned it onto a DVD, the problem is that if I use it as LIVE DVD untill the linux loads it takes like 5 minutes with the loading ubuntu and the dots underneath.

I am scared of installing it now it takes a lot of time, I have a lenovo i3 with 1TB and 4 GB RAM. What should I do? Should i try another linux or what? I'm lost
>>
>>52380967
The open amd drivers on 4.3+ are pretty good actually. What do you mean?
>>
>>52380983
redownloaded xorg and lxde just to make sure. Now it simply goes back to waiting for my next command when I enter startlxde
>>
>>52380994
It will be fine. You are using a cd, that's even slower than an usb stick.
>>
>>52381011
Did you startx?
>>
>>52380998
open drivers aren't horrible if somewhat low performing, but I meant proprietary drivers
>>
>>52381042
it doesn't even find the startx command anymore for some reason. wew
>>
>>52381077
Then what exactly is "unable to connect to X server"? That's an xinit error, isn't it?
>>
File: 1446769466462.png (295 KB, 771x1875) Image search: [Google]
1446769466462.png
295 KB, 771x1875
friendly reminder

http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

The rebuttal pic to this is just some freetard from /g/ saying: Everything you claim is wrong, even though you've provided tons of sources. I don't have to prove shit myself though, because...

Don't waste your time on this garbage OS. There's a reason why it's stuck on 1.5% and 99.999% of people who try it go back to Windows/OS X.
>>
>>52381148
It is. Trying to redownload xorg-xinit throws a million "/usr/lib/lib<something>.so is empty, not checked" errors. At least now it finds the command startx though.
All it tells me when sending startx is

/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line2: /usr/bin/X: Success
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error
>>
Hey guys, absolute beginner here. I need a cool icon pack for my Ubuntu 15.10 system with Gnome desktop environment. Pls help
>>
>>52381333
numix circle is pretty complete if you like flat
>>
>>52381315
You should mention your distro (or at least your package manager) when talking about installation errors. I assume that you are using Arch, because googling the "not checked" error reveals that it is a Pacman error that means one of the package's dependencies is missing. (Googling this yourself would have been a lot faster)

Figure out what package the missing files belong to and install it.
>>
What's the most vaporware distro
>>
>>52381061
well they are not on windows level but the open drivers are stable, functioning and really not that slow.
>>
>>52381484
yggdrasil
>>
>>52381484
fuck off back to /mu/ child
>>
>>52381312
Epic post, have a (you).

(that's an 4chan upvote if you didn't know :-)
>>
>>52381445
hey thank you, i'll try it. Any other ideas? Maybe something black/white? i like to keep my desktop simple
>>
>>52381531
high contrast maybe? should be included by default.
>>
>>52381487
here's some benchmark from a few weeks ago to back that up.
>>
File: flt.png (25 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
flt.png
25 KB, 640x400
>>
File: chokedrekt.gif (420 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
chokedrekt.gif
420 KB, 590x350
>>52381570
lol
>>
Why does the driver manager in mint take ages to open and then doesnt show anything? I just want my nvidia drivers ;_;
>>
>>52381606
Use the terminal or the software repository. Same thing really.
>>
>>52377624
Mod+r - resize mode
Then arrow keys to resize
>>
>>52379369
i3
>>
>>52381312
This so fucking much. Freetards still have no rebuttal to this that isn't full of damage control.
>>
>>52381883
you know that said text was written by a "freetard" right? only because he says GNU/Linux isn't "ready for the desktop" it doesn't mean that other OS are "ready for the desktop" either.
>>
>>52381997
I mean /g/ freetards obviously m8
>>
>>52382011
i don't think there are many true "freetards" left on 4chan actually. (mostly because 4chan itself is non-free)
>>
i am enjoying double commander. i used gnome-commander for years, but it seem to stop working properly with more recent versions of ubuntu and/or gtk.
>>
I'm really struggling with permissions on my vfat USB drive.
I'd like to keep it vfat if possible. I managed to create a symbolic link from my current ext4 sdd to it but can't remember how I did it.
here's what my fstab looks like for it:
/dev/sdb1 /media/ vfat user,umask=0000 0 0

at this point i'd really just like to completely open it up when it's in this machine. this is the most permissions I can give it right?
basically I'm asking if I should be able to create links as any user right?
>>
>>52381312
The thing about your link is that it is argumentatively insane. His point is moot, because he doesn't define what to compare Linux to. What OS has GPU Drivers that don't require a restart after install? Why is a Server a Desktop all of a sudden? Saying that Linux isn't ready for Desktop, without saying what a Desktop is, is crazy. Imagine, if you will, that blog post about how Manjaro packages aren't really stable. If he said how packages are held for the purpose of security theater, without mentioning the back-port process other distros have, some people wouldn't think that wouldn't be a bad thing, as others may think that other distros do the same thing. In fact, that link says that in certain situations, Windows is less of a Desktop OS than Linux. This makes it hard for most people to picture what a Desktop OS is, if Linux, with all the problems he listed, can beat or match Windows at times.
>>
>>52379564
You don't. You need KVM+libvirt and the ability to edit the XML config for the VM by hand to tick a few specific processor boxes.
>>
>>52379832
It's literally impossible to compile Firefox on an Eee anymore because the build process requires 4GB of physical RAM. On the other hand, Gentoo with -march=native really helps you get the most out of the Atom.
>>
How often are packages updated in Debian stable? I can't find something like mintupdate Linux mint uses.
>>
>>52382191
They're not, by default, except for security patches. You need to add the Backports repository to get updated kernels, nvidia drivers, Iceweasel, compilers, etc.
>>
>>52382200
Really? It this recent? I had to restart to install drivers for my GTX 960, R9 280X, HD 7870, and my GTX 570 on Windows 7/8/10. Was this a new update?
>>
How do I change the default file picker for Cinnamon?

I have set Thunar over Nemo as the default file browser with xdg-mime, but when I need to choose a file (like uploading an image here on 4chan, saving an image from the internet) it still opens the Nemo interface.
>>
>>52382249
After a quick Google search, it seems that mileage may vary in this regard. Some require restarts. Others don't. Weird...
>>
I read on the Arch wiki that xorg doesn't need to be configured these days and is automatic. I do not have anything in my xorg config file and I also get random X crashes. Is this my problem?
>>
>>52382331
Your problem is that your distro is an unstable pile of poop. I have automatic X configuration and no X related crashes on Debian and Fedora.
>>
Anyone here do NET/C# work on Linux full time? Mono seems shit, VS on wine any good? Or is the answer dual booting?
>>
>>52382349
Wow good answer! *upboat*
>>
>>52382366
Depending on his WM/DE, he could be right. Is your DE/WM from AUR?
>>
Running kde on arch and suddenly the internet just stopped working. Out of the blue the internet connections icon dissappeared from the taskbar as did everything network connections-related. What do?
>>
>>52382465
Try restarting NetworkManager
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
>>
Is Alpine Linux a good desktop distro for an ancient thinkpad?
>>
>>52382593
>Is Alpine Linux a good desktop distro
not imo
>>
>>52382230
The file picker has nothing to do with your file browser. It's gtk. What file picker you get is dependent on the application. Firefox uses gtk on Linux so you get the gtk file picker.
>>
my laptop harddisk aggressively spins up and down unless I issue this command:
sudo hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda

That's not really a problem for me but whenever it wakes up from sleep the command has to be issued again.

1) Why is this happening? Shitty HDD driver or a botched power mgr setting?

2) How do I fix it so I don't have to issue it on wakeup? I already have it in my hdparm.conf so it's set on startup
>>
>>52382497
Thanks for replying. After restarting it, the networks icon reappears as do the available networks, except it asks for a kde wallet password. How do I disble kde wallet?
>>
I need something that will works and that is not a fucking time waste to configure.
I love Arch but having to read news before upgrading and shit is annoying.
>>
Can someone please advise on how to get good looking fonts on Mint?
>>
>>52382858
>i love arch
>but i hate one of the basic philosophies behind using arch

???
>>
>>52382880
freetype2 full hinting with antialias. use some good fonts like inconsolata, noto and dejavu sans...
>>
>>52382858
you haven't tried arch yet
>>
>>52382905
I can't take much time now with my fucking setup i need something that works
>>
>>52382978
debian stable with backports
>>
90% of these replies could be solved with a simple search.

why don't people know how to do that?
>>
>>52383049
People are fucking retards about search engines. That's literally why half of IT jobs exist.
>>
>>52382858
So every other distro aside from Arch and Gentoo?
>>
>>52382497
Also, the icon disappears everytime after rebooting.
>>
>>52383049
new users don't know the right words to find the problems they are having.
>>
>>52383049
Most people are lazy, useless leeches who would rather let other people solve their problems for them.
>>
>>52383049
level 1 tech support literally everywhere is "google for people who can't fucking google"
>>
>>52383088
You need to enable the service to be started on boot
sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager

As for the KDE Wallet I don't know since I don't use KDE but setting an empty password might work I think
>>
I have a shell script called "myscript" in /usr/local/bin/ that's executable by anyone. It's contents are as follows:

#!/bin/sh
echo $USER

It works as expected, and "sudo myscript" asks me for my password and then prints "root". I want to be able to do "sudo myscript" without a password. I added the line
%wheel ALL=NOPASSWD: myscript
to the sudoers file with visudo and confirmed that my user is in the "wheel" group. I then ran myscript as my user and it printed "root" without asking me for my password. That's where things stopped working as expected, because I opened a new terminal and tried it there, and it asks me for my password. I opened yet another terminal, and got asked for my password there, too. Only in the first terminal that I tried it in can I run myscript without a password. In all other terminals, I get asked for my password.

What is going on?
>>
>>52383199
RTFM. You didn't make the sudoers file right.
>>
>>52375795
>>52375795

Right. So I installed the latest Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I did it via DVD in an external USB-connected disk drive.

The laptop had Windows 8 pre-installed so obviously prior to installation I had to change the BIOS/UEFI settings. Disabled Secure Boot. Placed USB first on boot order, etc.

Finally worked after a few restarts. Installed Ubuntu; opted to Erase Disk rather than install it alongside Windows Boot Manager. Seemed to all go smoothly.

Upon disconnecting the USB disk drive and restarting, came up with "Reboot and select proper boot device or blah blah blah etc." so I restarted and went into BIOS to change the boot order so it was (from top to bottom) HDD, USB, ODD, LAN, and then set System Config to CSM boot. SATA settings don't seem to be listed.

Restarted except it came up with an extra paragraph (pic related) with PXE and something about media cables. I also tried with Secure Boot enabled as well as disabled. No change. It's not booting Ubuntu from the HDD. When the USB disk drive is connected with the LiveCD in, it launches the Ubuntu "Try or Install" menu. I tried a bunch of stuff I found on Google but it doesn't apply to this.

How can I fix this? pls help /g/uys
>>
>>52383166
That worked for the icon. Thank you so much! Anyone who can help me on disabling kdewallet?
>>
>>52383257
You installed either GRUB or Ubuntu itself to the USB drive instead of the internal storage. Nice going, dumbass.
>>
>>52383257
PXE boot is network boot, so your computer is trying to boot off of a network server. Change your boot order so that the device you installed GRUB on is the first device.
>>
>>52383166
And do you know why it keeps asking for a password to the network but never connects? The password is correct. Everytime I provide it, kde asks for a password to the network again.
>>
>>52383287

>You installed either GRUB or Ubuntu itself to the USB drive instead of the internal storage

Okay, so you pointed out a possible mistake I made (despite there being no option in the installation process to install a 6.9gb OS to the USB drive) and called me a name. Noted. Got a solution, dear fellow? I assumed the installation applies to the hard drive, as do, well, virtually all installations.

>>52383301
How do I know which device it was installed on? I assume it was installed to the HDD. There was literally no part in the installation process where it specified which device it was being installed.
>>
>>52383372
>>52383287
Btw if you read in the explanation, I said it boots up to the LiveCD menu when the USB disk drive is connected with the DVD inside it. It doesn't boot up from the USB drive by itself.
>>
>>52382742
Dont use an autistic distribution
>>
>>52383229
Why does it work in one terminal, then?

I changed the line to
%wheel ALL=(ALL)NOPASSWD:/usr/local/bin/myscript

Now it doesn't work anywhere. That's the format described here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132821

The format described in "man sudoers" is "who where = (as_whom) what", and in the Tag_Spec section is gives the example "aaron shanty = NOEXEC: /usr/bin/more, /usr/bin/vi"

In both cases they use the full path to the executable. Ubuntu Forums example doesn't use spaces, man sudoers does. It doesn't work for me either way. The only way I've been able to make it work at all is to use the command only, rather than the full path, and then it only works in the first terminal I ever try it in.
>>
When you install software via package manager, does it pick the one specific to your processor? I have an x86-64 processor and let's say i installed a package that had both 32 and 64 bit versions. Would both versions get installed?
>>
What distro should I use /g/?
been using gentoo for a long time. but getting sick of micromanagement.
Arch is shit unstable, debian stable is old shit. debian testing doesn't sound bad though.
I'm thinking xubuntu. How's that?
How's OpenSuse?
Is there really any rolling release distribution that still priorities stability like Gentoo?
>>
When creating directories in Linux are there naming conventions that should be followed?
Would you use ~/Downloads or ~/downloads
>>
>>52383487
Usually, yes (That's how Steam works).
>>
>>52383487
x86-64. unless you specifically say you want x86
>>
>>52383497
GuixSD or Debian unstable
>>
>>52383517
Yes as in the package manager will pick the one specific to your processor or yes both will be installed?
>>
>>52383543
The first one, unless software requires both to be installed (like steam)
>>
>>52383519
OK thanks. I remember now i had to specify which processor when picking an iso to download.
>>
>>52383497
opensuse tumbleweed was pretty good for me.

stuck on debian stable because i like it, but would use that if i didn't.
>>
>>52383582
Does it have occasional breakage? Both Arch and Debian broke every few weeks when I was trying them.
I'm gonna give it a go though
>>
>>52383630
>breakage
such as in complete system breakage? what did you use and when? you sure you didn't fuck up yourself?
>>
>>52382941
Thank you!
>>
>>52383669
No, I mean when a broken package ships into the main repository. It drives me insane. mostly because the old packages usually get deleted from the repository, making downgrading difficult.
I don't have this problem with Gentoo, hence why I've been using it for so long. I installed it 4 years ago and kept it up to date without even one case of a program breaking.
>>
>>52383630
just fglrx fucking everything up, but that's to be expect in any distro.

everything else worked well.
>>
>>52383723
i don't really think it's possible to keep a repo of 40000+ packages without a single package broken in years. that said you could really read up on the Guix package manager.
>>
For a beginner would someone recommend kali Linux ?
>>
>>52384561
No, using Kali is pure autism.
>>
>>52384561
According to Wikipedia it's "designed for digital forensics and penetration testing". What use would a beginner have for that?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-12_19-28-14.png (45 KB, 622x255) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-12_19-28-14.png
45 KB, 622x255
>>52381484
according to Michael L. Kaufman GNU is. :^)
http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/opensources/book/appa.html
>>
>>52377485
why do they make phones with 4k screens but not laptops
>>
can someone tell me which DE kali uses? it looks like gnome3 but it behaves like unity
>>
>>52385152
it's gnome3
>>
>>52384561
You can use the kali packages also on Ubuntu. Just add them. No need to install whole kali.
>>
Hello /g/
After uninstalling all unused packages on Debian I don't have network connection amymore.

When I try to ping an IP I get the error message “network unreachable“.

Neither LAN or WiFi work.
Eth0 and wifi0 is normally down.
If i start them it doesn't help.

Anybody has a solution?
>>
>>52385314
>uninstalling all unused packages
>I don't have network connection anymore

welp, we know where you fucked up
>>
>>52385314
Try installing NetworkManager again - or wicd.
>>
>>52385314
this is why you read which packages you remove before doing so. put network manager on a stick from another computer and install it.
>>
>>52385339
It just did apt-get autoremove
Which is the required package I need?
>>
>>52385357
This.
>>
>>52385314
undo the apt-get transaction
>>
>>52385367
did you forget to apt-get update before that?
>>
>>52385357
>>52385356
Thanks for all the answers!
Network-manager is installed. Still doesnt work
>>
>>52385417
Nope I didn't but thanks for the answer
>>
>>52385442
then never forget to do this again.
>>
more like genpoo
>>
>>52385490
>>>/b/
>>52385314
run
grep -r "install \|remove " /var/log/dpkg.log

to see what packages were lately installed/removed. Maybe this may help you figuring out what package you lost/need.
Then download the .deb, put it on a stick and install manually.
>>
>>52375795
hey flt can you help me pick my next distro to use? I'm using Fedora but I'm fed up with it for a number of reasons.

It's for a laptop for both work and gaming. Want to do lots of gaming through Wine. Alienware M14, i7-3720QM and GT 650M. Hard drive space is pretty limited.

I have experience with a few other distros. Ubuntu is too bloated and shitty, Mint's package management blows, Fedora isn't well suited to linux gaming, technical skills aren't quite up to Arch or Gentoo (I have a project computer I'm learning that on). I'm looking for fairly lightweight and reliable, and package management that doesn't horribly suck. Preferably something that plays nice with Enlightenment WM, I like to use it.

One of my friends absolutely swears by Slackware, is it any good?

Any help is appreciated.
>>
Is it possible to transfer data from an HDD (/dev/sda) to an SSD (/dev/sdb) just by doing dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb ? The SSD is bigger than the HDD.
>>
>>52385530
Try Manjaro.
>>
>>52382699
But it must be possible to change it right? Some distros have it different running the same software.
>>
>>52385530
just go with debian testing. steamOS is based on Debian so gaymen will be nice on it..
>>
>>52385580
KDE has a different filepicker than GNOME/GTK. Depends on what is running on your system. The software will use what your system provides. Changing the picker to something like nautilus will not work, since these are only standalone file managers.
>>
>>52385559
Good suggestion. I like the look of it. I used Arch at one point--my friend helped me set it up--and I really love Pacman. It makes Apt-get and YUM feel primitive and awkward by comparison.

My one concern is that a more obscure or smaller distro might have less things available in its repository than a big popular one with more people maintaining it. Is that valid? How is the built-in repo of Manjaro?
>>
>>52385686
With Manjaro you basically have the same packages as Arch Linux and access to the AUR, plus the Manjaro only repos (patched stuff, patched WMs, etc for Manjaro only).
>>
>>52385632
I was thinking of doing that. But I've always had trouble with apt-get, especially with uninstalling software. It always seems to uninstall too many dependencies and break other programs that need them. The problems were worst with Mint, but I've had them with other Debian based distros too.
>>
>>52384651
I'm taking a cybetsecurity class next year.
>>
>>52385763
>debian based
really, if you read what will happen when uninstalling stuff or updating stuff you will be fine, and there is always aptitude that helps you organize your packages. debian testing is more stable than manjaro anytime.
>>
>>52383461
I don't get how to manipulate the sudoers files, or settings. I've never needed it. But to explain why it would work in one terminal, but not another I have some intuition. If you authenticate into sudo once, if you use sudo again in the same session you might not have to authenticate depending on your settings. See pic related.
>>
>>52385764
I'd recommend you wait until you've had at least a semester of it. Then you'll know what you're talking about, you'll be exposed to the Windows way of doing things and you'll be able to make an educated comparison of the Windows and Linux tools.
>>
>>52385806
I don't really care about stability. I play with my computer a lot anyway, things are going to break one way or another.

And I did read what it was supposed to uninstall. I don't think I missed anything. All I know is all I wanted to uninstall was the Cinnamon desktop and its dependencies that nothing else needed, and I ended up breaking the other WMs I had installed as well.
>>
>>52375795
Why is linux "mostly POSIX compliant"? What is the non-compliant part and why doesn't anyone care? Is POSIX compliance unimportant?
>>
>>52385816
Alright that sound like a good idea ty
>>
>>52385740
Yeah, I was looking it up and I saw that there's a community version with a patched Enlightenment WM. I'm pretty pumped for that. I absolutely love the concept and what Enlightenment is trying to do, but at this point the compatibility kinda sucks and every distro I've tried it with so far has some unique problems.
>>
>>52385876
i don't believe that removing cinnamon will remove i3wm/awesome/enlightenment aswell no matter how bad you fuck up.
>>
>>52385929
It didn't remove them, it just broke a bunch of stuff. The other WM I had at the time was i3 and (I think) XFCE, and a lot of features were broken in weird ways, like 2 different terminal emulators were still installed but stopped working, that kind of thing. Sorry I can't be more specific, it was a while ago, and I just gave up and installed something else.
>>
anyone know any good additional applications which use the gnome headerbars like lollypop for example
>>
>>52385967
did you attempt to do the same thing with other package managers? (installing multiple DE and WM and uninstalling a whole DE)
>>
>>52385559
This. Longest time (over a year) I've been using a distro without fucking it up or hoping to another distro.
>quick install
>ready to use
>easy on the eyes

After #! died Manjaro became my main OS and I love it.
>>
Is there a keyboard based DE?
>>
>>52376156
so I want to use i3 but I want something else to set up automount and network shit for me, is there some DE I can use with i3 at the same time?
>>
>>52386002
No, not with Mint. Did it with Fedora and had much better luck.
>>
>>52386043
I recommend i3.
>>
>>52385970
specifically an irc client. after that I would be set. I found polari but it does not support nickserv
>>
>>52386084
i3 is a wm
>>
>>52386084
yeah im thinking thats where ill end up,what i used and really liked it
just would have loved if it was integrated in a de
>>
>>52386010
Does the WINE package from the repository actually work?

That's kind of the last straw that's making me leave Fedora, even the WINE package has no mp3 support, and it breaks some Windows programs that need mp3s, like TESV Oblivion, even if you've installed mp3 support in Fedora itself.
>>
>>52382880
I use Roboto, the Android font. I love it. It looks like my Mint laptop is part of the smartphone-tablet family.
>>
>>52386120
then quit being fuckin lazy and install whatever else you want that a DE would have separately. A DE is just a WM + a lazy way to install a bunch of software, half of which you don't need. i3 + Thunar + xterm = a nice minimal DE.
>>
>>52385535
yup
>>
>dual boot
>decide to remove windows at some point
>remove windows partition, resize linux to take up rest of disk space
am i right in saying that it isnt quite this easy?
>>
>>52386183
No. It's pretty much that easy.
>>
>>52386167
orig anon who posed the question here
missing shit like power management, used xubuntu + i3 and at least there the power management did not work at all with i3
>>
>>52375795
Sam Hyde for Linus in the inevitable biopic
>>
>>52386143
Sorry anon but I keep a small W8.1 partition for dual booting when I have to use AutoCAD or any windows only software. Hop on Manjaro IRC channel and ask whatever you want to know, they respond pretty quickly.
>>
>>52386183
depends on the partition layout, but generally, yes

worse comes to worst you image the partition onto an extra HDD and reformat with a better partition scheme or lvm
>>
>>52386222
I'm using dual boot too, I'm just trying to move more towards linux. I'll do that if it gives me trouble, thanks.
>>
Is there a way to access or run a file without typing the entire filename in the terminal?

For example, I'm trying to play an episode of Game of Thrones. The names of episodes are listed like so:

Game of Thrones S04E01 Title
Game of Thrones S04E02 Title
Game of Thrones S04E03 Title
etc...

Instead of typing $ "vlc Game of Thrones S04E10 Title" I'm wanting to just type the title of the episode or the episode number, kinda like so "vlc S04E10"

Trying to get in the habit of using the terminal for most things.
>>
>>52384561

No, instead you might get a boot image of it on USB and learn Linux with another distro.
>>
>>52386263
tab?
>>
>>52386196
>>52386235
huh, cool ill do that then, not actually used windows for a while but new comp on the way and course imtaking might require it
>>
>>52386263
>what is tab completion

I wasn't aware people didn't know this stuff...I mean it's the same on windows, osx, and linux and has been a feature of every terminal since the early 80s
>>
>>52386351
most people never used the terminal
>>
Why is Manjaro getting so much hate? Other than not being Arch
>>
>>52386373
Why not just install Arch?

It's fucking pointless
>>
>>52386373
There's only little bit of hate coming from edgy kids that are pissed that they had to spend a day to get the functionality Manjaro provides OOTB. I'm talking about >>52386392
>>
>>52386046
what distro are you running? there are things that automate that shit for you like network manager and other daemons
>>
>>52386507
I'm the edgy kid?

You are the guy running a derivative distro, which always eventually fold and leave their users out to lunch

Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, SUSE, BSD, Gentoo or Arch are the only long-term reliable options unless you want to eventually get burned when the distro maintainer loses interest (i.e. gets old) or dies
>>
>>52386392
It's pointless if you think of Manjaro being just an installer/premade Arch, but that's not the case, it's much more. Do some research about Manjaro and/or check Manjaro's github.
>>
>>52386392
Hello
>he fell for the %s meme
thread creator
>>
>>52386570
Yes, you are. I'm not saying Arch is bad ( I like it personally) but forcing it upon everyone is just obnoxious. Can't you just be happy there are more (regardless of the distro they use) Linux users out there?
>>
>>52386659
Derivat distros are not 1337 enough, kid.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.