[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 - 72h >The majority of /g/ still uses Windows W
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: nowin.png (103 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
nowin.png
103 KB, 600x600
>2016 - 72h
>The majority of /g/ still uses Windows

Why?

There is no reason to use the Windows operating system in 2015. If your employer is forcing you to use proprietary software, you should seek an alternative or find a new job; they are oppressing your individual freedoms.

>Inferior default filesystem
NTFS is objectively garbage. NTFS relies on an MFT (Along with a copy of it) to store ALL your file metadata for the entire disk, so if these structures get corrupted then your data is top tier fucked. There are more reasons why NTFS is crap, but if that alone isn't enough to deter you from using NTFS, then you're an idiot.
>Fisher-Price UI
Metro. Enough said.
>NSA kernel backdoors
Proven by the Snowden documents.
>Botnet elements (other)
Telemetry, phoning home to M$

Face it, Windows is nothing but proprietary malware.

Further reading:
http://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
https://www.fsf.org/news/the-fsfs-statement-on-windows-10
>>
In recent news:
https://theintercept.com/2015/12/28/recently-bought-a-windows-computer-microsoft-probably-has-your-encryption-key/
>>
File: 1450642684803.jpg (77 KB, 687x535) Image search: [Google]
1450642684803.jpg
77 KB, 687x535
>>52106235
>NTFS relies on an MFT (Along with a copy of it) to store ALL your file metadata for the entire disk, so if these structures get corrupted then your data is top tier fucked.
This right here is the reason why I switched away from Windows.
>windows fucking up again
>use recovery cd to try and fix the OS
>24 hours later it's STILL running
>reboot computer
>no HDD detected
>dump the disk and inspect the data
>the MFT got fucked over by the recovery util somehow
Thanks for nothing, Microsoft.
>>
DirectX
>>
>>52106235
muh games. Only reason for me, but sadly it's too big of a reason and is stopping me from switching my desktop to respect my freedoms. Laptop is running debian netinst + i3 and I'm happy with it
>>
>inb4 the /v/edditors rush to defend pajeet's OS
>>
>NSA kernel backdoors
>Proven by the Snowden documents.

Nice bait.
>>
Linux is freeeeee
But Windows 10 is FUTURE!
>>
>>52106235

Nobody gives a fuck.

>Fisher-Price UI
People don't give a fuck, it works.

>NSA kernel backdoors
You are using at least one service which has NSA backdoor. Also read response to inferior default filesystem.

>Botnet elements
Yeah that is pretty fucking shitty.

Further reading:
http://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
https://www.fsf.org/news/the-fsfs-statement-on-windows-10

No professional programs (CAD, Maya,etc), No games, No Microsoft office native support, no direct X.

majority doesn't care as long as they can post on Facebook, play their favourite games and do shitty spreadsheets on excel and write crap on word.

>NTFS relies on an MFT (Along with a copy of it) to store ALL your file metadata for the entire disk, so if these structures get corrupted then your data is top tier fucked.
This right here is the reason why I switched away from Windows.
>windows fucking up again
>use recovery cd to try and fix the OS
>24 hours later it's STILL running
>reboot computer
>no HDD detected
>dump the disk and inspect the data
>the MFT got fucked over by the recovery util somehow

I've used windows since 95 and very rarely have had any problem with NTFS. Although I've never used windows on a low end pc nor shitty under 600 dollar laptop
>>
>If your employer is forcing you to use proprietary software, you should seek an alternative or find a new job; they are oppressing your individual freedoms.
NEET confirmed
>>
File: ls0QN.jpg (35 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ls0QN.jpg
35 KB, 500x375
>>52106235
Dicks you must suck. I'll use what I want.
>>
>>52106526
wagekek confirmed, are you this weak willed?

>if the boss says i must do this i will do it :(((
>>
File: IMG_20151205_231128.jpg (9 KB, 262x263) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151205_231128.jpg
9 KB, 262x263
>>52106483
>Can't even quote properly
Paid shills, everyone. How's that 2ยข per post, Rajeesh?
>>
>>52106483
>nobody gives a fuck
>people don't give a fuck

If nobody gave a fuck then we wouldn't have this thread every single day. Your "nobody gives a fuck" more or less translates to "I don't care, so why should anybody else?"
>>
File: _20151228_205441.jpg (18 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
_20151228_205441.jpg
18 KB, 480x228
>>52106235
suffer in silence, minority
>>
Year of the linux desktop in 72 hours
>>
>>52106235
>muh opression
>muh evil corporations

I thought /g/ was better than a bunch of leftist retards
>>
>>52106235
this is a lame pasta
probably made by a fag running on a thinkpad riddled with hardware backdoors
>>
>>52106580
if people gave a fuck about file systems other than getting real work done and playing games. Linux would have more than 1% market share.

>>52106578
Liking something that works out of box and I can do everything i need on it without googling up how to fix things that should be working in a first place. Linux as operating system has had over 10 years to become decent and they have accomplished nothing but making it piece of shit for themselves and everybody else.

Operating system for people who prefer to fix their broken OS rather than enjoying something that just works out of box. How masochistic are you dumb motherfuckers seriously? Linux, the operating system for losers or servers.
>>
>>52106580
>"I don't care, so why should anybody else?"
That isn't an invalid argument though, >>52106593 shows that pretty clearly.
>>
>>52106561
better than a NEET cucked to something as trivial as his operating system choice in a desperate bid to hide his meaningless life he's strewn all over the internet
>>
File: cFY9nE7.jpg (136 KB, 1202x1202) Image search: [Google]
cFY9nE7.jpg
136 KB, 1202x1202
>>52106483
>Some of your other devices/software have NSA backdoors, so why do you care if your desktop OS does?

:^)
>>
>>52106235
Using Windows with a backup of data, daily image of OS, and a ZFS NAS for storage NULLs the NTFS argument. Back up and you're fine.

The UI looks fine. Make icons smaller, text correct size for resolution and you're good to go. No need to spend 30 hours ricing your machine to look like DOS in green on black consoles.

Backdoors are a problem I'll grant you. But again. Keep Windows as OS and your data elsewhere, and your data is covered. When it comes to how you use your machine, 90% of data farming isn't from OS, it's from the websites you visit, so Linux alone wouldn't solve much at all. You'd have to change how you use your computer, and that can be started on Windows.

Telemetry etc can all be blocked. Doesn't take much at all to remove all the services etc built in. Small batch files can re-run these scripts to double check every boot if you wanted.

Don't be a retard. Windows is still the best ALL ROUND OS. Linux is stable and has customisation, but what, 30% of the application support? I'd prefer have issues with some things, but all of the functionality I want, than everything I do is flawless and stable, but I can't do what I want to.
>>
>>52106685

>Liking something that works out of box and I can do everything i need on it without googling up how to fix things that should be working in a first place.
Linux works OOTB and I've never had a major problem that a 30s Google couldn't fix.

Linux as operating system has had over 10 years to become decent and they have accomplished nothing but making it piece of shit for themselves and everybody else.
False, you've obviously never used a sane distro.

>Operating system for people who prefer to fix their broken OS rather than enjoying something that just works out of box. How masochistic are you dumb motherfuckers seriously? Linux, the operating system for losers or servers.
Nice ad hominem.
>>
>>52106235
Show me an OS that's objectively better at playing video games.
>>
>>52106235
>>The majority of /g/ still uses Windows

Incorrect.
>>
>>52106694
>he thinks I care what other people use
Again, if people didn't care, we wouldn't be having these threads.

Where do these stats even come from? Is it amount of PC's sold with that OS as a component? Because that's silly.
>>
>>52106235
OP is not only autistic for caring about these nitpickings, but actually wrong too. Windows 10 has a new file system. It also uses the same UI as Linux. And the Spyware can be disabled in Windows.
>>
It just werkz
>>
File: mad.png (2 MB, 1201x884) Image search: [Google]
mad.png
2 MB, 1201x884
>All these fucking "m-muh games" memers
>>>/v/
>>
>>52106784
Linux doesn't work OOTB, you aren't supposed to have any fucking problem that you should have to google in first place. It doesn't even support any new hardware properly, hellooooo the year is 2015 and soon 2016.

Tried fedora and mint on few new machines, doesn't even recognise the wireless fucking card how the fuck am I supposed to even google how to fix it, besides i'm not even supposed to go to google to look for fixes. All distributions are clusterfuck they don't have any consistency, they all suck in one way or another. hurr durr use another distribution, it works on my machine.

linux faggots everyone.

Install windows - everything just works including wireless cards.

mac os x - everything just works.

linux - good luck you fucking faggot because that is what person needs for it to work.

linux is a operating system made by somalis as college project.
>>
>>52106235
muh video games
>>
>>52106235
vidya
only reason for me
>>
>>52106842
>New FS
What, ReFS? Garbage.
>Same UI as Linux
>Spyware can be disabled
HAHAHAHA
How fucking deluded are you?
>>
>>52106337
If you're lucky you can sometimes save a fucked NTFS volume by using a utility like testdisk to restore the MFT using the backup
>>
>>52106881
>le wireless meme
I just installed Debian on my new ASUS laptop. Everything works. You just suck.
>>
>>52106881
>Install windows - everything just works including wireless cards.

ehehehehehehe
>install Windows 7 on wife's laptop
>no ethernet drivers
>no wireless drivers
>no fucking usb drivers
It Just Werks.
>>
ITT
> Retards that think they can only run one OS and then argue about which is best.
>>
File: 1450927605091.png (176 KB, 388x587) Image search: [Google]
1450927605091.png
176 KB, 388x587
>>52106235
>The majority of /g/ still uses Windows
>>
vidyo games
>>
>>52106235
not important
>Fisher-Price UI
i likes windows UI
>NSA kernel backdoors
doesnt bother me because im not a faggot. they can spy on me all i want lmao
>Botnet elements (other)
same as above
>Face it, Windows is nothing but proprietary malware.
except it isnt malware. it doesnt break my pc and it does what i need to do. play muh vidya and shitpost online. proprietary shit is a meme that this board talks about too fucking much. it doesnt change how the software is used.
>>
File: 5435234287989054323.jpg (114 KB, 1056x545) Image search: [Google]
5435234287989054323.jpg
114 KB, 1056x545
>>
>>52106733
>respect
>>
>>52106906

Exactly what is shit about refs. I may as well say ext3 is shit and my opinion is just as valid as yours.

Linux and Windows UI:

>Window controls and toolbar at the top
>File and folder browsing with names of files under each icon
>Minimize/Maximize/Close
>Left Mouse button selects
>Right Mouse button brings up menu
>Windows key brings up search where you can type things in to find anything in the OS
>Command Line interface available
>Task Bar
>Basic OS configuration accessible from a single control page

Tons more shit but I can't be bothered to list. Any one who's used Windows or Linux can be sat down in front of the OS for their first time and be able to get onto the internet and go to their favorite websites.

Also I've disabled the spyware, from easily usable tools available for normies. Your nervous laughter just shows how BTFO you are on Linux's supposed "benefits".
>>
>>52106745
Why the fuck should you have to back up your machine to fix an underlying issue with the OS? The hundred dollars you have to spend should grant you a filesystem that us at least as fod as one you get for free.
>>
Why are people using NTFS when ReFS is available?
>>
>>52107049
>human rights are for losers lol
>>
File: 1445348078215.jpg (84 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1445348078215.jpg
84 KB, 900x900
>>52106881
>I want to use Windows! - said anon
>he continued to acquire hardware that is supported on windows

>I want to use OS X! - said another anon
>he continued to acquire hardware that is supported on OS X

>I want to use Linux! - said the third anon with a tendency to gargle mayonnaise
>he continued to acquire whatever the fuck hardware he could put his hands on without even thinking to check whether it's supported on Linux or not
>it didn't work

I don't see you complaining that your consumershit asus shittop doesn't work when you try to put OS X on it.

It's entirely your fault.
If you want to use Linux on a laptop in I'm-scared-shitless-of-the-terminal-mode, buy a high end dell (poverty-tier models are windows-only) model, Dell ships them with Linux as well.
>>
>>52106235
i dont like using freedumb software that has barely been QA tested

i use wangblows 7 that isnt updated and it works just perfectly for my needs and hasn't broke on me because i dont do stupid shit with it
>>
>>52107131

>Windows
>Supports 99.9% of hardware not released by Apple
>Still runs on almost all Apple OSX hardware

>Mac
>Only comes on hardware released by Apple

Linux is the only OS where you have a high probability to run into Hardware issues
>>
>>52107131
Invalid comparison. I'm not trying to install Windows on Linux hardware, which basically doesn't exist anyway.
>>
>>52107188
>a high probability to run into
a high probability of running into

I tried to install Windows on my router but it didn't work. Does that make Windows bad, or me stupid?
>>
>>52107188
And how is that Linux's fault that hardware manufacturers either straight out refuse to make drivers for linux or do such a bad job that even a currynigger employee of redhat without experience would reverse-engineer them better?
>>
>>52107266
A router isn't a computer, it's a router.
>>
>not running windows in a VM and giving the VM direct access to your GPU so you can have native performance
>>
>>52107266
>I tried to install Windows on my router but it didn't work. Does that make Windows bad, or me stupid?
Did you read the windows man page for router installs?
>>
>>52107303
>embedded computers aren't computers
>Windows supports 99% of hardware
>because hardware that it doesn't support isn't really hardware according to me
>>
>>52107287
If Linux did anything objectively better than Windows, it'd have its own hardware.
>>
>>52107287
I couldn't give two shits about the internal politics of tech companies.
>>
>>52107287
why make drivers to something that nobody sane fucking uses.
>>
>>52107338
>tries to argue that something without a monitor and keyboard and mouse is a computer

Stop moving the goal posts linux fags.
>>
>>52107307
Explain how.
>>
Because I like to play games on my gaming rig and don't want any hassles.
>>
>>52106366
This is my only reason, too. It's not a valid reason for most people on here, but caring what /g/ thinks goes against my moral fiber. I actually prefer Mint over any version of Windows, but it supports very few of the games I enjoy, and those that play are rough
Yeah, gaymin is blah blah blah... but if what I do isn't supported by my OS it's time to switch. I don't change what I do to cater to what my pc is capable of.
>>
>>52107374
Computers do not need any of those things to be computers and they never have, you colossal retard.
>>
>>52107307
>VM
There's literally no reason to do this instead of just running Windows.
>>
>>52107188
>>52107049
>>52106881
You are doing a good job Rajesh. Keep up. You might stop shitting on streets if you continue like this.
>>
>>52107422
You've conflated computer with personal computer in order to make an invalid comparison. Fuck off.
>>
>>52107422
"Can you write something on the computer and print it out for me?"
*walks over to router*

"Can you check on the computer for an email?"
*walks over to car and opens the hood*

"You can play this game on your computer!"
*tries to load up Steam on the refrigerator*

Wow, I didn't know computer can mean so much! Truly the wonders of Linux
>>
Freedom is mostly only used by Criminals and pedos so tell me if "free as in freedom" is a good thing
Get over it freetards
>>
>>52107464
>You've conflated computer with personal computer
No, YOU have.
>A router isn't a computer, it's a router.
And you have yet to provide any reason that the comparison is invalid.

>>52107504
Some tasks require a computer to have human interface peripherals. That does not mean that a computer without those peripherals is not a computer. According to your ridiculous assertion, the average web server is not a computer.
>>
>>52107127
They are.
>>
>>52107570
A web server is not a computer, it's a server.
>>
>>52106337
The same would apply to the new GPT structure, which also saves a backup at the end of disk. Lose both and you should manually recover it as well. Would you rather use MBR instead? Lesson: you need to learn to make (proper) backups of your files.
>>
>>52107570
Fuck off.
>>
>>52107342
yeah right, because this world is 100% fair.
>>
I have literally no reason to use Linux besides better font rendering and the chance of the kernel not loading in the next boot isn't a risk I'm willing to take.
>>
>>52106235
>There is no reason to use the Windows operating system in 2015. If your employer is forcing you to use proprietary software, you should seek an alternative or find a new job; they are oppressing your individual freedoms.

Well that's fucking fantastic, except I'm an Exchange / Skype automation engineer, have specialties in Active Directory, domain federation, and Hyper-V.

And I hold a few software patents, as well.

But please, tell me how my job and career choice are oppressing me...
>>
>>52107394
https://rafalcieslak.wordpress.com/2014/08/15/multi-os-gaming-wo-dual-booting-excelent-graphics-performance-in-a-vm-with-vga-passthrough/
>>
>>52107661
Name a single thing Linux might do better that would then make profitable making various hardware primarily for Linux.
>>
File: 1450377042766.jpg (31 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1450377042766.jpg
31 KB, 604x453
>>52107342
That's false.
>If Linux had bigger consumer marketshare than Windows, it'd have it's own hardware
That statement is absolutely true.

>>52107347
I thought we already established that you came to Linux expecting a free-of-charge version of Windows, which unfortunately for you isn't the case and you're deeply irritated by this fact.

>>52107357
This is actually a correct approach for many manufacturers oriented at the consumer market.

GPU market is the perfect example of it.
Let's be honest, majority of dedicated GPUs in production (save for workstation models) were created with media consumption, especially videogames in mind.
Windows, with it's considerable desktop marketshare creates a big market for videogame players/enthusiasts which Nvidia/amd quite happily uses as their target audience.

On Linux, that's not the case.
Not even mentioning the tiny (compared to windows) desktop marketshare, but also the percentage of Linux users who are interested in videogames is low, therefore the market for linux-compatible dedicated GPUs is even smaller.

Since the majority of Linux users does NOT use their computer for graphically intense workloads, all their graphical needs are perfectly fullfilled by integrated GPUs
This is where intel comes in, with it's open source iGPU drivers that absolutely work on Linux out of the box right after installation, which fills the niche almost entirely.
>>
>>52106235

Windows 7 just werks :^)
>>
>>52107735
Distributed file systems. Hate to say it, but *nix does this better than Windows. Server 2016 will close the gap, but active / active clusters still require shared storage in Windows.
>>
File: 1405664465417.gif (3 MB, 524x276) Image search: [Google]
1405664465417.gif
3 MB, 524x276
>>52107624
The only reason whatever you're using to post to 4chan isn't a web server is that it's not running certain software. A web server is a computer that's running software that provides a network service or services. According to you, then, you could make a computer cease to be a computer by installing a program on it. That's an even stupider idea than that a computer ceases to be a computer when you unplug its monitor.
>>
>>52107735
>profitable
That's right. We live in a shitty capitalist world where everything is done for profit. It doesn't make sense to hire a few curryniggers to port drivers because of small market share. And as a result Linux isn't getting any more market share. Linux is objectively better but however perfect it was, it wouldn't make business sense to hire more driver developers.
>>
>>52107784
Linux does everything better. Windows is just a huge fucking mess.
>>
>>52107813

Rekt
>>
>>52107754
Sure, but I want to use my computer for graphically intensive tasks. I also want to use photoshop. Therefore I use Windows 7 on my desktop.

The reasons Linux cannot currently do those things is not my concern.
>>
>>52106235
Image thumbnails.
And Microsoft uses the information to improve the OS.
Face it, Linux is nothing but an OS for terrorists or other people that have things to hide.
>>
>>52107837
No, not everything...

But the shared file system is phenomenally better...
>>
>>52107820
I asked if Linux did anything better and the only answer I got back was for a use case requiring a large server farm. Linux isn't objectively better. It's possibly a better server product. It is objectively inferior as a personal desktop for varied use.
>>
>>52107858
Use whatever you want. Just don't shill your shitty OS. Also, you can use GIMP if you are not doing photoshop professionally.
>>
File: 1446803226819.png (484 KB, 404x600) Image search: [Google]
1446803226819.png
484 KB, 404x600
>>
>>52107888
Name a signle reason why Windows is better for desktop use.
>>
>>52106235
>If your employer is forcing you to use proprietary software, you should seek an alternative or find a new job; they are oppressing your individual freedoms.
HAHAHAHAHHAAHHA
>>
File: glasses.jpg (29 KB, 648x544) Image search: [Google]
glasses.jpg
29 KB, 648x544
>>52106864
No seriously, i have it over linux because of vidya. That isn't a meme, me and thousands of others on /g/ aren't going to give up $200+ steam catalogs just to appease you nimble faggots

Seriously, it would be insane to give up a hobby, or literally anything just because some text on a Laotian Finger Painting forum tells you to
>>
I'll keep using Windows and there's nothing you can do about it. When Linux supports the software I use and will want to use then I'll gladly use it.
>>
>>52107913
Only one? I'll go with objectively better video game performance.
>>
>>52107889
Meh I've used OSX, Linux and Windows and use Linux for my personal and web servers. I have no attachment to Windows but I think win 7 is currently the best desktop experience.

Gimp couldn't even rotate text without rasterizing it the last time I checked; I'll continue to use photoshop.
>>
>>52107973
>>52107969
Rajesh and Rashid, nobody cares that you are part of the biggest botnet. Just don't shitpost against Linux and stop advertising Wincuck.
>>
>>52108012
But i don't you faggot
>>
>>52107986
That's not Linux's fault. That's because hardware manufacturers are Jewish. Give me a reason why Windows is better. Don't just bark random software.

Also, I couldn't give less fucks about video games.
>>
>>52108012
But i don't you faggot. Unlike 99% of the Linux users on this board I don't shill.
>>
>>52106483
>No professional programs (CAD, Maya,etc), No games, No Microsoft office native support, no direct X.

>no CAD

Jesus Christ. There's everything from Siemens' NX WHICH YOU CAN'T AFFORD to fucking free CAD like Draftsight, which is ACAD compatible for 2D files, and is Dassault's middle-finger to Autodesk.

For a middle-of-the-road 3D Parametric Modeling CAD that doesn't rape your pocketbook (it's the same price as ACAD LT) there's VariCAD.

>Maya doesn't work on Linux

Really? What's this then?

>https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Operating-system-compatibility-for-Autodesk-Maya.html

Linuxยฎ Red Hatยฎ Enterprise Linux 6.5 WS,
CentOS 6.5 Linux

>No Gaymes

Idiot

>Microsoft Office Native Support

Big fucking deal. Crossover Office runs the MS Botnet.

You're a moron.
>>
>>52108063
>give me reasons why Windows is better
>software support and games don't count because I said so
Nigger please.
>>
because i'm not a special snowflake
>>
>>52108063
>reason why windows is better
>but but not muh fault
>>
>>52107858
I don't know why would you even consider using Linux if you need photoshop to earn for food
>>
>videogames
>Photoshop
>reliable software
>things work!
No, I'm not moving myself to that shit called GIMP
>>
>>52106342
Worst graphics API. Good reason
>>
>>52108138
>>52108098
>>52108098
They don't count because they have nothing to do with the OS itself. We are comparing operating systems, not the software running on them.
>>
>>52106235
Just games. I would switch in an instant if every game worked natively or at least with minimal effort.
My work laptop does use Manjaro though (I'm too lazy to install Arch for the third time.) and my server runs Debian.
>>
>>52107127
i dont quite understand? what human rights are being lost here? privacy? nigga if you werent such a fucking bitch you wouldn't care abuot your privacy.. whats microsoft gonna know? that you watch anime or jack off to traps or some shit? lmao jesus christ dude.
>>
>>52108146
>reliable software
>things work!
This meme again. Enjoy your botnet.
>>
If Linux had any of the games I want to play, I'd use it.
It does not.
>>
>>52107986
>I'll go with objectively better video game performance.
That's actually not true.
If you said better drivers than yes, absolutely windows stomps on linux no doubts.

But there are many cases of videogames with native Linux port where Linux gets better performance than Windows.

example video.
https://youtu.be/YM8qXbJqMvs
>>
>>52108164
> if you werent such a fucking bitch you wouldn't care abuot your privacy.
> what human rights are being lost here?
What an absolute moron.
>>
>>52108063
Hardware compatibility in Windows is better. It has nothing to do with jewishness. There isn't a single case where the Linux Kernel makes it easier for hardware manufacturers to make drivers than for Windows.
>>
You all do realize that something can be better than something else even if it does a few things better, right? Why the fuck do all Linux people not understand this? Their arguments are always on the level of a child's. Instead of screaming like a faggot about how the things that Windows does better don't count why don't you talk about the many ways that Linux is better than Windows? You might actually have a chance at converting people if they could take you seriously.
>>
File: 1448736127975.jpg (22 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1448736127975.jpg
22 KB, 300x400
>115 comments of >muh videogames
Holy fucking shit who let the /v/eddit out.
Grow up you fucking manchildren.
>>
>>52108175
>it's a meme to have software just work
>>
>>52108156
The thread is about reasons to use Windows. From a philosophical perspective, maybe I should be using Plan 9, but my computer is a tool for doing things, and drivers and software support are a part of that.
>>
>>52108063

this goalpost shifting
>>
>>52108246
>If you're just giving it away, you wouldn't pay some faggot to troll an image board with advertisements.
Voting is free.
>>
>>52108246
that's the beauty of it
they do it for free!
>>
>>52108230
>my computer is a tool for doing things,
You can as well go to /pol/ or any other board. In a technology board, I am expecting people to be competant and not just MS Office users.

>>52108224
Linux has software that just work too.

>>52108215
It has everything to do with Jewishness. If manufacturers weren't profit maximizers, they would hire a few Linux developers.
>>
>>52108156

Since we're using that rule, you can't use any GNU components in your arguments since that's software running on top, you can only compare Windows to the Linux kernel.

You fucking idiot.
>>
>>52108324
GNU components are part of the OS, you ignorant fuck, which is why it's called GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52108321
>if manufacturers weren't profit maximizers
Then they wouldn't be fucking manufacturers. They'd be homeless freetards. Tell you what. Start a non-profit computer hardware company. Let us know how that works out.
>>
>>52108321

>It has everything to do with Jewishness. If manufacturers weren't profit maximizers, they would hire a few Linux developers.

Some of them do you retard. Your inability to understand how the world works outside your unrealistic Free Culture circles is your failing.
>>
>>52108361
>Justifying the jewishness
Anyways, this argument isn't about the jewishness of manufacturers.
>>
>>52108393
clearly it is because freetards like to blame manufacturers for why their OS is shit.
>>
File: Fedora Cat.jpg (9 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
Fedora Cat.jpg
9 KB, 236x236
>>52106235
It might be shit, be botnet and everything you want, but it's the only thing that has games.
>b-but muh dual boot
Jesus christ i don't want to switch between systems everytime
>>
>>52106235
>shilling for linux this hard
lol
>>
>>52106685
>Linux would have more than 1% market share.
But it doesn't. Linux is by a pretty big margin the most used kernel in the world.
>>
>>52108380
How is that relevant? The point still holds that Linux doesn't have proper drivers because of manufacturers being greedy as fuck.
>>
>>52106235
Majority of /g/ is /v/, the only OS /v/ would ever use is windows because vidya. Not that difficult to answer your own question.
>>
>>52108345

>GNU/Linux is an OS
Good joke there, next you'll tell me that Stallman happily compensates people who work for the FSF.
>>
>>52108411
>technology board
>being this ignorant.
Mate, please leave.
>>
>>52106483
>Nobody gives a fuck.
I do, and I don't base my operating system decisions on what soccer moms care about.

>People don't give a fuck, it works.
They actually do, the backlash against the Metro UI was huge, and even with Windows 10 it was just "hey it's better than 8".

>You are using at least one service which has NSA backdoor.
How does that change anything? Why is it ok for Microsoft to implement backdoors just because someone else does it?
Also Linux doesn't.

Try again in 2 minutes.
>>
>>52108438
Being greedy as fuck is the entire fucking point of running a for-profit company. Get a bunch of freetards together and make a non-profit hardware company and only release linux drivers for your hardware. Maybe someday you'll even have enough hardware under your belt to actually compete in the desktop market.
>>
>>52108464
poo in loo Rajesh.
>>
>>52106881
>Linux doesn't work OOTB
It does, and the fact that you think it doesn't shows us you've never used it.
>>
>>52106997
/Thread
Dual boot you fucking bibberts
>>
>>52107986
That's nothing to do with the operating system. But Linux is still better, I'd just pain in the ass for some games
>>
>>52108063
Linux can't play games and has no relevant games, thus linux is shit.

deal with it freetard.
>>
>>52108510
It has everything to do with the operating system, which is objectively shit at running most games.
>>
File: 1451325707501.png (136 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1451325707501.png
136 KB, 499x499
>>52106235
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnsXRdU98uw
>>
>>52108524
Literally every game runs on Linux
>>
>>52108496
"Bunch of freetards" are already competing with Microshit's and others' curryniggers in software market and we are doing a much better job in many cases. Right now, Linux has great hardware support. The only thing lacking is better video drivers but most of us are grown ups so we don't play games.
>>
>>52106694
>Windows is better because more people use it
Someone call up Ford and let them know they're the best car manufacturer in the world.
>>
>>52108503
It doesn't. You need a physical media to put the ISO on.
Get fucked.
>>
>>52106337
>Not having a backup
Look at this fuckin idiot.
>>
>>52108554
Liar, I can't play GTA V or Witcher 3 and none of the good games coming out in 2016 will work for linux. Stop shilling this shitty OS, I want to talk about relevant software like windows.
>>
>>52108539
Uh no it didn't.. graphics API has nothing to do with it.. majority of genes are already native. Just desktop market is Windows dominated. Everything else is openGL and Linux native. You have 1 out of 10 markets
>>
>>52106235
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

no wonder you neets don't have any jobs, when you're up for quiting over something trivial like this
>>
>>52108563
I think Ubuntu now has some Windows executable which installs it from inside Windows.
>>
>>52108524
>Linux can't play games and has no relevant games, thus linux is shit.

nicely memed, senpai
>>
>>52108577
Linux isn't an os.
All of those games work fine for me
>>
>>52108581
>desktop market is Windows dominated.
See, this freetard gets it.
>>
>>52108592
That was a shit load of time ago
WUBI installed Ubuntu alongside windows in a really nice way (if you wanted to uninstall it later, you could uninstall like any other program)

But sadly, they dropped support for that
>>
>>52108597
perhaps he meant GNU plus Linux?
>>
>>52108634
Didn't Windows 8 kill that with the forced Secure Boot?
>>
>>52108649
It doesn't matter, linux is shit and GNU is bigger shit. When either one gets games, let me know. Tux Racer and meme fortress 2 doesn't count because they're both shit.
>>
>>52106235
>employer offers me a job
>give me specific work laptop with Windows 7 for work ONLY
>get paid over 90k a year
>oppressed
>>
>>52108628
There's nothing to get. The shitty os with sorry graphics API needs to die. Direct x and Windows are cancer

Native games are way fucking faster on Linux. But that doesn't change the fact it's currently Windows dominated in desktop land
>>
>>52108667
No one owes you anything, if you want to use Windows to play your games go for it. Stop acting like the Linux community somehow wronged you because companies didn't port your favorite games for it.
>>
>>52108683
What's better about Linux's graphics API?
>>
>>52108662
AFAIK 8 didn't force secure boot, but they did change the bootloader around and Canonical didn't see any need to update WUBI for it

Also, the last version to support wubi officially was 12.10, so it's ded
>>
>>52108717
Nothing because nogames
>>
>>52108710
Then stop shilling shitux you nigger. Until it gets game support, it deserves to be called shit because no company wants to waste time making stuff for a free OS they can't make money off of.
>>
>>52108710
Running out of arguments huh? This whole fuckin thread is about why people still use windows.

BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO BECAUSE LINUX DOES STILL NOT DO THE EASIES SHIT IN 20 FUCKIN 16 MINUS A FEW DAYS.
>>
>>52108717
You mean OpenGL?
Oh it's shit but DirectX is shittier.
>>
>>52108717

"freedumbs"
>>
>>52108767
who cares about freedom?
>>
>>52108746
>it deserves to be called shit because no company wants to waste time making stuff for a free OS they can't make money off of.
Being this retarded.
Being this consumerist
Being this normie
get the fuck off this place and move to /v/. This board isn't about shitty video games.
>>
>>52108784
OP obviously
>find a new job; they are oppressing your individual freedoms.
>>
>>52108753

share with the class why DirectX is shittier since you are such an authority on graphics APIs

ideological "muh freedoms" and "proprietary trash" meme talking points don't count
>>
>>52108753
Nah, OpenGL has always been the most shit.
>>
>>52108798
They do count. Stop shilling mshit products, Rajesh
>>
>>52108674
Scream windowsarchy
>>
>>52108798
For one, it's cross-platform. That's more than enough to stop using Directx
>>
File: laughing zelda.jpg (12 KB, 190x287) Image search: [Google]
laughing zelda.jpg
12 KB, 190x287
>>52108746
brb calling US government they oughta stop using Linux cause no gayme and therefore it's shit
>>
>>52108790
Well guess what bitch nigger, video games are a crucial part of an OS success. I would move to linux if it had games, but it doesn't have that. In fact, it doesn't have any good software on it other than shitty open source "software"

>>52108796
kek, fucking OP thinks he matters, what a fucking faggot NEET.
>>
>>52108796

it cracks me up how there is a fucking political ideology/religion for a fucking tool. the emotional attachment people have to these things is borderline mental disorder.
>>
>>52108746
>Until it gets game support, it deserves to be called shit
You realize there's more to evaluate an OS than wether it runs games, right? I mean I get that at 16 that might be a hard concept to grasp, but believe me.
>no company wants to waste time making stuff for a free OS they can't make money off of.
You do understand no OS in the entire world makes as much money as Linux right? A huge majority of the Internet runs on Linux. If it wasn't for Linux, most websites wouldn't exist. Want to guess what 4chan runs on?
That's right =)

>>52108749
>Running out of arguments huh?
Literally only posted twice.
>BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO BECAUSE LINUX DOES STILL NOT DO THE EASIES SHIT IN 20 FUCKIN 16 MINUS A FEW DAYS.
Calm yourself, kid. What does Linux not do that makes you upset? Run Call of Duty?
>>
>>52108820
>closed source driver makes program run
>open source driver fails to run program

You want to make program run, which do you pick?
>>
Windows works, is easy to use, and wasn't designed by paranoid hippies

The only reason linux is popular on /g/ is because the majority of /g/ posters are contrarian retards, who hate the idea of using standard OS's

Maybe 1/10 of Linux users on this board actually create programs for it
>>
>>52108798
It's not crossplatform
>>
>>52108854
b...b...but muh gnu+freedoms
>>
>>52108845
Open Source software is better than its non-free alternatives most of the time. Try harder, Rashid.
>>
>>52108871
An example, please
>>
>>52108835
>DirectX isn't cross-platform
That'd be incorrect, it is also used on several consoles.
>>
Freetards. Alternative to Photoshop. Go on ... I'm waiting.
>>
>hating on XP
you can hate anything beyond it
but not this
>>
>>52108880
gimp

:^)
>>
>>52108854
It cracks me up how there is a fucking legally enforced licensing for a fucking tool.
You don't get to sign a 300+ pages end user license agreement when buying a hammer or an electrical drill.
>>
>>52108871
Ah, freetard already resorting to the Indian meme. I'm just a regular joe who likes vidya, I don't want to have to spend time maintaining this nerd shit, I just want it to work out of the box.
>>
>>52108880
mpv is better than any closed-source alternative
vim is better than any closed-source alternative (hell, Geany is)
bash and zsh are both better than ANY alternative
>>
>>52108880
GCC
Firefox
Chromium if you may
Linux
mpv
Clang
Anything server related
Vim
List goes on and on
>>
>>52108717
OpenGL is most used. Available on every platform, fastest, most features. Direct shit is Windows and Xbox only.
Direct shit is fucking shit. Nobody likes it.
It's not openGL is so great, it's that DirectX is fucking shit
>>
>tried Linux on my intel+amd gpu laptop
>game performance was shit, it was constantly using the igpu
>spend an hour trying to fiddle around with the VGA switcheroo thing, no dice

>fuck it, I'll install fglrx
>boot it back up after installation
>screen flickers and is messed up
>unplug second display
>works fine
>plug second display back in
>messed up again

fuck that, I don't want to spend 3 days getting shit to work
>>
>>52108899
go to /v/ then and stop shitposting in an unrelated board.
>>
>>52108928
>I like to play games
>but I also like technology

>LOL GTFO TO /V/ YOU CUNT

nah
>>
>>52108927
>muh vidya
lyl
this site is 18+
>>
>>52108798
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/opengl-gdc2014/

Tfw Intel, AMD and nvidia agree that DirectX sucks compared to openGL
>>
>>52108928
OP knew what he was getting into, fuck off.
>>
>>52108928
This is completely related. This thread is about why people still use windows. Vidya or a job is the common reason why people still use windows. A bunch of butthurt freetards like you are the ones shitposting in our thread.
>>
>>52108560
man, you are really hung up on brands aren't you

what a good consumer, that's exactly what the advertisers conditioned you to be
attack their competition
go on, attack
that's a GOOD BOY
congratulations
>>
>>52108946
Nice try, 19 tho ;)
>>
>>52108940
You can't like technology if you consider an OS to be shit just because it has no market share.
>>
>>52108820

No, they don't. There is no technical merit to "respecting your freedoms" that's a political ideology that noone who has a business to run has fucking time for.

I'm not shilling, I'm asking for an explanation as to how DirectX is shitty. Being closed source doesn't affect performance of anything last I checked.

Stop memeing your way out arguments you fucking worm.

>>52108835

Being cross-platform is indeed a huge advantage. Now how do you explain companies developing for both DirectX for Windows AND OpenGL for consoles/mobile? Why don't they just develop for OpenGL outright on Windows as well and to hell with DirectX?

I fully expect completely retarded conspiracy theories.
>>
>>52108883
Wrong. Only Xbox and 360 and Xbox one
> hey can I use DirectX?
> no it's closed source and didn't work on your system sorry
>>
>>52108956
>completely devoided of any counter-points
>"OMG BRAINWASHED"
Sorry your ad populum didn't work :c
>>
>>52108954
I am not shitposting. I am explaining objectively how your logic is retarded and why your OS is shit.
>>
>>52108961
>just because it has no market share.

It has no market share because it is shit, not the other way around. If it were actually good, it would actually have market share because for-profit ventures can't compete against non-profit ventures with similar product quality.
>>
>>52108986
your hard work will surely be rewarded with more praise
[brand] cares about you so much
>>
>>52108977
Mostly they develop Directx first and then port it to OpenGL. Other than that, I don't know. It's not like Directx is getting better benchmarks. Check out the benchmark test of Dota 2 (it was linked in this thread)
>>
>>52109000
>it would actually have market share because for-profit ventures can't compete against non-profit ventures with similar product quality.
That's exactly why Windows Server is beating out Linux on server market share, right?
>>
File: 1451031043886.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451031043886.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1200
>Wincucks
>>
>>52109002
You still haven't explained what Windows having a larger market share has to do with being better, but keep posting le memes instead of any actual points.

>>52109000
Except it does have market share. Like, I don't know, the fucking Internet?
>>
>>52108979
>say its used on several consoles
>freetard lists several consoles
>it's somehow not crossplatform
I guess that's the 'tard part of freetard.

Also, you can write a low level operating system but somehow can't write a wrapper for a closed source api? No, it's that you're not even trying.
>>
>>52109000
>It has no market share because it is shit
I have been a windows user and a Linux user. I found Linux to be more confortable more powerful. I switched to Linux before knowing about political issues with non-free software.
>>
>>52109031
>You still haven't explained
i don't have to

i browsed the thread
i saw a shitty argument
i destroyed it

destroying your argument doesn't mean i support what you were trying to counter
it just means you're weak
>>
>Every Linux vs Windows thread ever
>Ideologically motivated neckbeards preaching muh freedoms
>Sorry gamers, you have to be 18 to post on this board
>All that closed source software is shit, here's programs that are open source and work better, clearly linux is better, who cares if they're also available on windows and are a nightmare to get working on linux?
>Non free software is nazism! This grubby un-bathed hippy who sticks his hand down his trousers while giving speeches told me so!
>>
>>52109054
So if something runs on Windows 8 and on Windows 8.1 it's cross-platform?
>>
>>52109000
No market share because that's not it's purpose nor goal. Idiot. When have you seen them advertise? Just like anything that's the best, they don't advertise. Rainbow vacuums, Linux, organic food stores, Amazon, Netflix, torrents, etc
>>
Op is a gay man for caring about what other people use, people will use what they like, you spouting out useless niche things that don't really affect anyone makes you look like a tool, for instance with 8.1 and 10 you literally never have to see/use metro, even in 8 you can ignore it altogether and click the desktop button. Its just there for tablet fags
>>
>>52107969
She kinda looks like black Ava Taylor
>>
>>52109054
Windows xp, Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8. 10
Aren't cross operating system either. Are you retarded? Android and iOS market BY THEMSELVES make openGL the most used graphics API for games.
>>
>>52109130
Expect a reply along the lines of "those don't count".
>>
>>52109086

That same hippy that would rather not pay FSF employees anything and expects them to work out of the kindness of their hearts.
>>
>>52109130
those don't count
>>
>He doesn't have Windows
Dude, just SLMGR -REARM
>>
>>52109152
Are you a wizard
>>52109179
What about ps2, ps3, ps4, GameCube, Wii, Wii u, ds, psp, ouya, Amazon fire,roku, and every operating system. Do they count?
>>
>>52109264
those don't count
>>
>>52109264
Vulkan, not OpenGL
>>
File: 1450747855625.jpg (11 KB, 218x300) Image search: [Google]
1450747855625.jpg
11 KB, 218x300
>>52109276
>>
>>52109022

A prepackaged and polished Linux offered by corporations who then proceed to fuck the business up the ass through support contracts just the same as Microsoft/IBM/Oracle/SAP/VMware do because that's enterprise for you.

Or

A custom built Linux OS used for a specific information system where a general purpose server OS like Windows Server doesn't make sense to use.

Or

They use Windows Server on the metal, and hundreds to thousands of Linux guests running on Hyper-V, because VMware is fucking expensive compared to Microsoft, and OpenStack is still 5 years away from being ready for primetime.
>>
>>52109306
that doesn't count
>>
>>52109297
Yes, that'll be nice. Anything to get rid of direct x.. openGL will always be used for lots of shit, but since vulkan is targeted at games it'll probably be better for them. I hope
>>
>>52109317
KVM... xen..... all better than VMware
VMware = virtual malware
>>
>>52109335

Vulkan scared Microsoft enough to get their asses in gear and make DX12. Competition is nice.
>>
>>52108147
Still runs way faster than any of that poorly ported and badly optimized OPENGL garbage so that's fine
>>
>>52109373
That's literally all they need to do. Is scare each other into not being fucking shit. Too bad we don't have 2 governments to do that to each other
>>
>>52109391
Yea. But when it's not ported is half the speed. Fucking shit
>>
>>52109367

They're just hypervisors, they don't offer a complete management solution like VMware does with VSphere or Microsoft does with SCCVM.

You can get an approximation with puppet/chef/etc with KVM/Xen or you can just (suprise) pay a corporation to package up a solution based on Xen for you (Citrix).
>>
File: 1417600184943.jpg (32 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
1417600184943.jpg
32 KB, 330x330
Linux will always be a shitty hipster platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taq3KIco8mk
>>
>>52106235
>Metro. Enough said.

Only a minority of jackasses switched to Windows 8 and 8.1. The majority of people are gladly still using 7 and XP to this day.
>>
>>52109525
That's why Microsoft uses Linux for Bing and for all routing of network data in their buildings.
>>
File: 1414156294835.jpg (272 KB, 762x900) Image search: [Google]
1414156294835.jpg
272 KB, 762x900
>we wuz kings 'n shiet

The Linux shills everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFR7C6peQhY
>>
>>52106342

/thread
>>
>>52109575
>Linux is a router OS
okay, that's not really a reason to install it on a desktop though.
>>
>>52109647
That's obviously a cinnamon problem... specifically. That guy's an idiot and cinnamon is shit & very beta still
>>
>>52110264
Linux is a kernel dumb fuck. The point is it's better at everything
>>
>>52110266
>damage control
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.