[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, can somebody tell me what the actual benefit of Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.svg.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
Alright, can somebody tell me what the actual benefit of Linux is? I see it getting its cock sucked all the time around here and as a lifelong Windows user I don't really get why I should bother going through the hassle of changing my OS. What is the big deal? Or is it just anti-Windows memeing?
>>
If you're fine with windows, no reason to switch.
>>
>>52035825
It's the meme-ux os
>>
>>52035825
I'll tell you straight and direct. The reason why people use Linux as their operating system is because it's free, and everything you can download on it is free also. So it's free and it's also 'open-source', which means that nobody owns it and you can customise any single thing on the operating system and re-release it without any legal trouble.

So the only reason is that it's free and it's open-source. But, of course, Linux distros are universally ugly, difficult to navigate for the average user and also hugely limiting in what can be done for the average user. One of the most popular Linux applications is WINE, a program which enables the user to run Windows applications.

So a lot of Linux users are that way because they can't or don't want to pay for Windows. Windows is the much better OS if you can afford a copy.
>>
>>52035838
>>52035855
>>52035931
is it summer already?

>>52035825
>free
>no botnet crap (except unity kind of)
>fully customizable
>powerful (most super computers use linux)
>it has something for everyone
etc etc
there's million reasons mentioned on /g/ everyday, lurk moar
>>
>>52035825
It's fun. The degree of customization is far greater than anything Windows has to offer you. I write this post from Windows.

If you don't enjoy tweaking and finding out how technology works I don't see why you post on this board in the first place senpai.
>>
>Own windows 7 laptop
>Hard drive breaks
>Sticker unreadable
>Pay another $100 for the privilege of using your PC

-------------------------------------------

>but you can pirate windows
it's still a hassle and you'll still end up with an OS that's even less trustworthy then regular windows

>win 10 is gratis
you_are_the_product.meme, still requires an activated copy of Win to upgrade

>download pirated 7, fuck with BIOS/UEFI, upgrade to 10, then downgrade to 7
sounds like a fucking hassle

------------------------------------------------

I came for the gratis, stayed for the freedom.
>>
>>52035825

freetard here:

If you currently have a big gaming desktop that runs 7 and you're happy with it, I can't *really* recommend switching.

Keep Linux in the back of your mind for low-end or battery-powered hardware. A brand new battery ($25) and a free ISO on a usb stick can do wonders for "rescuing" that virused-out xp laptop you have collecting dust somewhere.

I buy $10 XP-era laptops, load em with Lubuntu+Emulationstation+Retroarch, bundle a USB controller and give em out as "disposable" youtube/gaming computers to my little cousins and charities.
>>
>>52036185
>Is it summer already
It's Christmas break.
>>
File: 1348195903181-2.jpg (50 KB, 492x402) Image search: [Google]
1348195903181-2.jpg
50 KB, 492x402
>>52035825
>because linux is frustrating as fuck
>all that fucking command line bullshit
>no click and go like windows
>linux assrape gpu drivers
>games like an atari
but having said that (whilst on my win 7 pc)
im changing my point linux laptop to puppyslacko OS today.
>for all the reasons stated above
>>
>>52035931
Don't be stupid. Everyone can get windows if they want it is included on nearly all computers. All Linux users have to remove windows. And we do it because Linux is better in every way. It functions better, has less problems, is easier to use for our grandmothers and will result in less tech support for them because they won't mess it up. And it is beautiful.
>>
>>52037042
this

/thread
>>
>>52036901
I was surprised how convenient command line is when i first tried Linux.
>>
File: 1401305253212.gif (486 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1401305253212.gif
486 KB, 500x294
>>52037088
>just a tad of sarcasm in my previous post
everyone should give linux a go at least once in their lifetime.some like it,some hate it,some love it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.