[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here has experience with reballing? My laptop dedicated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: reballing.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
reballing.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Anyone here has experience with reballing?
My laptop dedicated gpu died, and needs a reballing. I took it to a repair shop and the guy told me that there is a ~15% chance that the reballing fails and the laptop is broken for good. Is that true?
>>
>>51987252
The GPU doesn't need re-balling until you pull it off the board. If you are going to replace the GPU with new part, then the balls are already on there. The only time you have to re-ball a part is if you are removing it and putting the same part back on there. Don't let the repair guy fool you.
>>
>>51987252
There's a chance it could fail, yes.
I wouldn't assign a number to it.

Here's the facts:

1) To remove the GPU, they need to heat the ENTIRE BOARD. The larger it is, the greater the chance for failure, as heating and cooling causes flexing

2) They will be heating the GPU past its tolerances to melt the solder. It had this done once when it was placed, now you're heating it AGAIN to remove it, and one last time to re-solder it

3) The machine could fuck up and smear a solder ball when placing the GPU, this will maybe ruin it when the power it on to test.

4) Even if the re-balling is successful, there's no promise it wont suffer the same problems again, as they have to use the same shitty lead-free solder that cracks easier than leaded solder.

Good luck. Reballing is a costly thing to do, are you sure you can't just get a replacement board?
>>
This is about "cold" solders. Right? That they tend to "crack"?

The only case I've witnessed was heating up RAM cards. Before it could spawn with errors, but after using similar tool as in OP's pic (except the heater was with grip) it was working w/o errors.

Not sure about GPU.
>>
>>51987366
I'm not replacing the gpu, It needs to be re-soldered because the laptop is a cheap piece of shit with bad cooling. I have some gc extreme thermal compund and fujipoly pads to try to avoid thermal problems in the future.

>>51987396
The dude told me about 3), not the other ones.
The laptop is a no-brand, I don't know where to find a new board of it.
>>
>>51987611
Are you saying the GPU got hot enough to melt a previously good connection? That would indicate you need replacement and not re-balling to me. Good luck in any case.
>>
Into the oven it goes
>>
>>51987839
For what i've read, the solder points can get cracks when it gets too hot.
>>
>>51987879
Isn't that just a reflow? it will break down again in a couple of weeks.
>>
>>51987252
Is your laptop new or refurbished?
>>
>>51987252
Is it a roundabout 2010 nvidia GPU?
http://www.nvidiadefect.com/calc/

The damage is internal. Reballing does not fix it for good.

Its toast!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.