[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should a dude who doesn't have a bachelor's degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: heroMSCS.jpg (83 KB, 762x300) Image search: [Google]
heroMSCS.jpg
83 KB, 762x300
What should a dude who doesn't have a bachelor's degree in CS be doing if he wants to get into a CS master's degree program? I already have a degree in a social science and I've taken the intro hard sciences but that's about it. I'm going to go talk to my local university's computer science department because from the website, it seems like they have a lot of leeway for students without bachelor's degrees in CS. I registered for a couple CS courses next semester as well, but not sure if there is anything else I can do.
>>
Get a bachelor's degree in CS. Do you honestly believe you can handle master's level CS with your education?
>>
>>51942058
I saw a couple stories from a theater arts degree and an English degree jumping in and making it past the first year at least. So maybe?? :)
>>
>>51942152
Alright senpai, I'm a grad student currently. Here are year 1 topics. If you can't do these, you probably should get an undergrad degree first.

>logic proofs
>proofs by induction
>structural proofs
>predicates and quantifiers
>how a cpu works
>construct me a cpu with arithmetic operations implemented and memory and register writing and reading
>proficient in C Java and at least one functional language
>make either a basic kernel or compiler
>>
>>51942035
No, a brainlet like you who only has a degree in a meme "science" couldn't possible make it a week into CS.
Graduate CS isn't "omg computers" It's fucking pure mathematics.
>>
File: dog.jpg (24 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
24 KB, 312x312
>going beyond undergrad in CS
>>
>>51943152
>being a brainlet undergrad for life

Was the math just too hard for you?
>>
>>51943191
No, I just have no desire to waste extra years in school so I can get shitty jobs in academia instead of working in industry.

CS is one of the worst investments as far as graduate degrees go.
>>
>>51943211
Be honest here now, below 100 IQ brainlet, the math was too hard for you wasn't it.
>>
Also interested in doing this after finishing my Masters in architecture.

Fuck doing a bachelors. The one thing I've learned in college is you've never come back to/use the shit they're currently teaching you. It's all just a money making scheme.
>>
>>51942035
>social science
you're gonna start from scratch, kid
just get a bachelors
>>
>>51943245

Do you think that CS is actually hard? At all?

If you feel like you're even marginally above average for making it to graduate level CS, then you're obviously a brainlet yourself. But do believe whatever makes you feel better for wasting your time when you could have been raking in money and building useful experience in industry all those years.
>>
>>51943281
You think your worthless undergrad can even compare to my grad degree?. I have a near eidetic memory, a digit span of 20 meaning I can memorize pretty much any password/formula/screenplay on the spot, great visualization abilities (I can draw the human body in pretty much any angle and perspective without reference), 99.98% percentile typing speed, 2390 on the SAT without studying (800 SAT math by 8th grade), great talent in writing (won national history, creative writing and journalism contests in high school) and a 99.9% percentile performance in pretty much everything else (diamond 2 promos in LoL).

If you don't have comparable mental abilities, I highly doubt you would get into a CS grad program.
>>
File: 1448474711055.jpg (26 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
1448474711055.jpg
26 KB, 567x561
>>51943313
ok, nice b8 dude
>>
>>51943281
It probably depends on the school. I go to a difficult engineering school, CS is no joke here.
>>
>>51943321
So it was because you're too stupid to do basic math, thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>51943313

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you proprietary slave? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at Harvard, and I’ve been involved in numerous free software projects, and I have contributed to over 300 core-utils for GNU. I am skilled in Lisp and I’m St. IGNU-cius, saint of the Church of Emacs. You are nothing to me but just another unethical non-free software advocate. I will distribute the fuck out of your source code with freedom the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about me and the GPL on the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my colleagues at FSF and your binaries are being reversed engineered right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your copyright. You're fucking dead, kid. Free software can be anywhere, anytime, and it can ensure your freedom in over four ways, and that’s just with the GPLv2. Not only am I extensively skilled at C hacking, but I have access to the source of the entire GNU userland and core-utils and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable proprietary code off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what ethical retribution your little “clever” program was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have ensured your users' freedom. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit free as in freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
File: you're a gnu slash retard.jpg (124 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
you're a gnu slash retard.jpg
124 KB, 480x320
>>51943357
don't be GNU+retarded, nobody said anything about free software!!
>>
>>51942035
>grad degree in CS
As useless as getting a grad degree in Engineering.
Grad degrees in Mathematics are more worth your time.
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (21 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.jpg
21 KB, 480x600
>>51943313
>>
>>51942035
>What should a dude who doesn't have a bachelor's degree in CS be doing if he wants to get into a CS master's degree program?

Go to college and learn shit?
>>
>get CS bachelor's
>choice between CS and Game and Media Technology master's
>CS looks interesting but extremely math heavy
>GMT looks fucking fun and less math heavy (there's still a lot of math but not so much the difficult proofs and shit. More like game physics, probability, linear algebra for graphics and the like)
>pick GMT
>no regrets

well okay, small regrets that I don't get awesome courses like compiler construction or an advanced course on algorithms and networks and stuff.
>>
>>51943057
Or skip spending another 50-100 grand and read a book or two on your own like an adult?

Jesus, no wonder nobody hires undergrads anymore. You're all fucking retards.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.