[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What possesses someone to want to use i3? I tried arch loonix,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: i3-5.png (200 KB, 1399x1049) Image search: [Google]
i3-5.png
200 KB, 1399x1049
What possesses someone to want to use i3? I tried arch loonix, and was looking for tutorials on how to install software on youtube. And I came across these tutorials for this fucking bullshit called i3.

It was so fucking complex, and all it was, was fucking coloured fonts and borders and shit. Seriously?
>>
It's just a tiling window manager. You don't have to really manage how the windows are positioned because it does that for you unless you float them. It's actually very simple to use and there's only a couple keyboard shortcuts that you need to know to actually operate it with proficiency, which are all customizable too.

I personally like it because I like the windows I spawn to consume as much space as possible and I like to switch between them without using my mouse. The addition of workspaces mean I can have a bunch of junk open at once and switch between them without using the mouse much or at all.

If you don't like it then don't use it, no one is forcing it on you.
>>
>>51907489
>It was so fucking complex, and all it was, was fucking coloured fonts and borders and shit. Seriously?

Most of us actually know what we're doing and why we want it.
>>
Personal preference.

Without even ricing it I prefer it. I tend to split windows V/H anyways so being able to do it easily with keyboard shortcuts felt miraculous the first time I used i3.

It's one of the easier window managers I've found to configure so... that could just be experience over the years though.
>>
>>51907489
I use i3 at work, its fine for me. I've not tried to do any ricing on it, because I'm at work for fucks sake.
>>
I love i3. You don't need to read anything to learn how to use it, except the basic commands. Just try actually using it rather than having an anxiety attack about youtube videos. The coloured borders and such are non-essential and basically just for fun/ricing.
>>
>Be me
>Windows user for 19 years
>Switch to Arch with i3 less than a week ago
>Add 10px inner and outer borders for aesthetics
>Can change layouts and workstations nearly effortlessly
>Productivity increased, space management increases, aesthetics increased

Hey, fuck you, guy. i3 is a great window manager that manages your space with ease and allows you to get more work done than trying to snap windows and constantly float windows back and forth between monitors and workstations.
>>
>>51907489
it's not to be fancy,
it's one of those WM to get the shit done.
>>
i5 and i7 are better.
>>
Why people use it over dwm is beyond me.
>>
File: fasfsdfsfsfsfsfsfafsafasdf.jpg (697 KB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
fasfsdfsfsfsfsfsfafsafasdf.jpg
697 KB, 3648x2736
it's for true hackers op you wouldn't understand
>>
>looking up tutorials on YouTube
>>
Awesome was ok but I don't know Lua or programming.
i3 was nice.
Really I just need to sit down and try to seriously rice out a WM with tint2 and conky sometime.
>>
Only l33t h4x0rs use i3
>>
>>51911263
This, i3 is simpler and more intuitive than stacking wm, it only looks complex because people have riced it to look hackery
>>
Bande dabrutis
>>
>>51907489
>Seriously?
When you've been unemployed a long time only then will you "get" things like i3 and GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51912120
Kek
>>
>>51907489
I know this is bait (and shitty bait at that) but I'm going to respond. i3 is pretty intuitive and if you actually manage to RTFM (either online or man i3), you literally would have no problem with it unless you are autistic.
>>
>>51912120
top fucking kek
>>51912231
dwm is trash
>>51912394
NOW YOUR GETTING IT

>>51907489
So you can talk shit in the desktop thread and so you can become the hacker known as 4chan. How can you be this new?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.