[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: sp3UApA.jpg (355 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
sp3UApA.jpg
355 KB, 1500x1500
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>>51862944
omg openSUSE is so broke, stop recommending it
>>
>>51863005
broken*

since LEAP everything went apeshit
>>
>>51862944
Where's i3
>>
How do i get into using awesome?
I want to switch from i3 but it feels like it needs much more work that it seems to be
>>
>>51863101
just install and try. I think is even easier than i3.

You can keep both you know, and for free.
>>
Finally there is a racing game for Linux!
GRID autosport is there.
Time to rule, I'd say.
>>
>>51863332
why you need more games when there is dwarf fortress?
>>
File: 1450084311989.gif (349 KB, 215x194) Image search: [Google]
1450084311989.gif
349 KB, 215x194
>>51863389
I want to race. vroom vroom
>>
>>51863411
super tux cart.
vroom vroom...
>>
>>51863411
why you need more racing games when there is super tux kart?
>>
>>51863389
I love Dwarf Fortress and all, but it's nice to have some variety. Between Dwarf Fortress, nethack, emulators, and some other games from GOG and Steam I'm pretty happy with the current state of Linux gaming.
>>
>>51863411

Tux cart? You're adorable by the way.
>>
>>51863452
I have to try nethack. I was reluctant to try DF, but watching those chars moving is so fun.
>>
Quick question on a simple script for updating Debian Jessie. Is this all I need?

#!/bin/bash
apt-get update
apt-get -y dist-upgrade
apt-get autoclean
apt-get --purge autoremove
>>
i have been using linux mint with xfce for few months now and i want to try different de/wm. Is there some tutorial how to change it without reinstalling whole system?
>>
>>51863523
>install meta package
>choose DE from the DM
>>
>>51863523
you just install whatever de/wm you want using apt-get, or that package manager.

then you just select in your display manager what WM/DE you want, or you start it using the proper command in the cli.
>>
>>51863511
if you're new to roguelikes you might be better off playing stone soup
>>
>>51863523
install the DE/WM you want then logout
on the password input screen, there should be a button that lets you change the DE/WM
>>
>>51863522

pretty much. But there is also a package named "unattended-upgrades" which periodically applies the latest updates to your system without any input.
>>
>>51863562
that was helpful, thanks.
>>
>>51863558
thanks, gonna check it.
>>
Does anyone have any good cheat sheets that can be used as wallpapers?
>>
>>51863511
Yeah, DF is great once you get past that initial period of, "holy shit what is all of this there are too many options it's all so overwhelming, I have no idea what's going on!!!". It gets easier and easier the more you play it.

My only advice with nethack is to take things slow and cautious at first. Think about your movements and actions and don't just run around aimlessly. Remind yourself that the #1 goal is survival and don't take any unnecessary risks. I play the glHack version.
>>
Is there a difference between
apt update
and
apt-get update
or
apt upgrade
and
apt-get upgrade
?
>>
>>51863618
Memory.
>>
>>51863671
In case of apt, update/upgrade are two different things.
update - refresh list of packages in repos
upgrade - install new versions of packages
>>
>>51863681
Oh no yeah, I meant between apt and apt-get. But I found my answer here:

https://mvogt.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/apt-1-0/
>>
>>51863618
>make computer faster
>>
>>51863725
which one says that kek
>>
>>51863578
Cool, will read up on it
>>
>>51863618
Oh wow that's a good one. That should be the image for the second post of every /flt/
>>
>>51863749
Look up the rm.
>>
>>51863780
that's evil
>>
>>51863980
It doesn't do anything
>>
>>51863990
The system doesn't let you delete root even with privileges?
>>
>>51864074
You need privileges and add the --no-preserve-root flag.
>>
Recently I started not being able to connect to my school's wifi. It's WPA2 Enterprise PEAP/MSCHAPV2

No clue why, my wifi driver has always been finicky to get working but some guy put out the firmware on the AUR and it's been smooth smailing since. I don't get any real error messages when using wicd or networkmanager. I tried connecting manually but I get this fucking shit and I have no clue what it means after spending some time googling

this is my config file

also I basically just did a fresh install today of arch so I think its something on my university's end since it worked when I did a clean install about a month ago

and everyone I know who is currently using linux doesnt have this issue afaik
>>
>>51864202
Broadcom?
>>
>>51864254
nope
Atheros Qualcomm Killer N1525 Wireless-AC
>>
Any ways I could improve this?

#-------Backend Settings:--------
#--------------------------------
backend = "glx"; # Use GLX backend for rendering
vsync = "opengl-swc"; # Use OpenGL to implement vsync
glx-swap-method = 3; # Use a triple-buffer
paint-on-overlay = true; # Improves performance (usually) and reduces flickering
glx-no-stencil = true; # Improves performance
glx-no-rebind-pixmap = true; # Improves performance with rapid window changes, might not work with some drivers

fading = true;

shadow = true; # Enabled client-side shadows on windows.
no-dock-shadow = true; # Avoid drawing shadows on dock/panel windows.
no-dnd-shadow = true; # Don't draw shadows on DND windows.
clear-shadow = true; # Zero the part of the shadow's mask behind the window (experimental).
shadow-radius = 7; # The blur radius for shadows. (default 12)
shadow-offset-x = -7; # The left offset for shadows. (default -15)
shadow-offset-y = -7; # The top offset for shadows. (default -15)
>>
>>51864350
Forgot to mention, it's the compton.conf
>>
Guys help, I just installed VH and got it setup and everything alright on Linux
But all of the dialog is cut off halfway, as in there is a horizontal line running through the dialog - it's as if it was shifted down. How do I fix this?
pic related
>>
>ffmpeg -i 01\ -\ Crawlersout.flac -acodec libopus -b:a 192k -vbr on -compression_level 10 -ar 24000 test.opus

What am I doing wrong? I can still hear the difference quite clearly, even though this shit is supposed to be transparent at 160k.
>>
File: pipelight-logo.png (38 KB, 276x269) Image search: [Google]
pipelight-logo.png
38 KB, 276x269
>>51862944
How do I pipelight on Debian Stretch?

Tried to follow instructions on the pipelight website but there's only for Jessie and such. Does that mean I'm screwed?
>>
how's elementary os for a beginner?
>>
>>51864853
shit

just go with xubuntu or some other debian based distro

every time i get bored of xubuntu and think the grass may be greener i just end up coming back
>>
>>51864853
kinda buggy

also anyone got a vsftp conf file they'd care to share cause I'm too lazy to set shit up, or is there a better option
>>
>>51864582
Forgot to mention that this question is about Opus encoding.
>>
>>51863452
>>51863389
Different anon here, is it true Linux will get a 64-bit build soon? I hate having to dirty my system with 32 bit crap just to play DF, nothing else needs that shit since I ditched Skype.
>>
File: transparent box.png (430 KB, 1906x1030) Image search: [Google]
transparent box.png
430 KB, 1906x1030
I'm getting this weird transparent box at the bottom of my primary monitor. Anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it?
Its on Arch, and the environment is xfce4

I recently installed installed docky and the Numix theme.
>>
>>51864992
Are you using some compositor?
>>
>>51864966
No clue man, I haven't been paying attention to the development roadmap or release notes lately.

Also, why does installing a few extra 32-bit libraries bother you?
>>
>>51864202
nobody got any idea? right now my only solution is to have my phone tethered 24/7 and thats not really a solution

and i know for a fact that it will connect to other access points, just not my university's specific ones, not even their guest AP for some fucking reason
>>
File: 1440608246771.jpg (14 KB, 447x585) Image search: [Google]
1440608246771.jpg
14 KB, 447x585
Can anyone link me a guide on how to read ip address show (or ip link show)?

I've read both CentOS and Fedora manuals but neither seem to explain what all the information shown by the command means. Google (Startpage) searching only gives me "how to find what your ip is" etc.
>>
>>51865034
I didn't set anything up, but like I said I just installed docky and numix and it showed up

Where would you go to check that on xfce4? I'm new to linux as of yesterday
>>
>>51864992
Enable display compositing
Applications menu -> Settings -> Settings Manager -> Window manager tweaks
>>
>>51865145
Yeah I just got it, thanks. Just ended up unchecking "Show shadows under dock windows"
>>
How do I enable Grub on Linux Mint again after installing Win7?
>>
>>51865167
btw you should really install compton
>>
>>51865279
What is it/What are the advantages?
>>
>>51865253
https://mintguide.org/tools/37-restore-grub-boot-loader-in-linux-mint-after-installation-reinstallation-windows.html
>>
>>51865295
Faster, lighter, more options, no/less screen tearing
>>
so Do i get #!++ or Bunsenlabs? whats the fucking difference?
>>
Should I consider trying Ubuntu if I love Mint? Am I missing out on much with Ubuntu's more updated packages?
>>
>>51865295
basically you get to offload the drawing of the desktop to your gpu instead of the cpu
>>
>>51865315
Thank you for spoonfeeding senpai.
>>
>>51865397
#! isnt updated anymore and hasnt been for awhile
>>
>>51865469
crunchbang++ bub
>>
>>51865447
What is better? Forcing them to open the link or fucking paste the resource here?
>>
>>51865397
BunsenLabs is the official community continuation of #!. #!++ is the Chinese rip-off.
>>
>>51865532
>Chinese rip-off
elaborate?
>>
>>51865404
>Am I missing out on much with Ubuntu's more updated packages?

If you have to ask that question then you're obviously not missing anything important enough to notice. The only reason I'd consider switching distros is if I actually encountered something that was impossible/difficult to do using my current distro but readily possible on another distro. For example: playing games from Steam or GOG is a huge pain in the ass on Arch but incredibly easy on Ubuntu. I prefer Arch for my daily use desktop OS but if I was going to set up a Linux gaming rig then I'd definitely be installing Ubuntu instead. If you're currently happy with Mint then I wouldn't change distros unless you come across a similar situation.
>>
>>51865589
Actually a lot of things involving specialized/closed, commercial software is easier on ubuntu.
Especially in the LTS release.
Games are the perfect example, looking at steam OS statistics Ubuntu LTS users are the majority of those running steam on linux

Dell ships some of their higher end laptops with Ubuntu LTS,
and I've seen some commercial closed software that either provides only binary packages for current LTS release or Ubuntu LTS + Fedora (BricsCAD for example)
>>
>>51865083
http://www.lartc.org/lartc.html

It's outdated as fuck tho.
>>
>>51865726
Yeah, being the most popular desktop distro for the last decade or so makes it pretty much the only target for commercial developers if they decide to make their program available for Linux.

I don't use any other commercial software on Linux myself but I do find myself wanting to play some games from GOG every now and again.
>>
>>51865589
>playing games from Steam or GOG is a huge pain in the ass on Arch but incredibly easy on Ubuntu.
It's the other way around for me t.bh family
>>
>>51865803
How do you even install GOG games on Arch? There are some hacked together PKGBUILDs on the AUR to install a few games from GOG but a lot of games are missing and of the ones that are available a lot of those PKGBUILDs are out of date.

I've honestly never tried Steam on Arch so I guess I shouldn't have commented on that but I know that even Steam's website says that their preferred distro is Ubuntu.
>>
>>51865942
Well I never tried GOG. But Steam works rather flawlessly here.
>>
>>51864742
Just try if it works on stretch.
>>
>>51865973
Hmm, well that's good to know then. I might have to test Steam out, I just prefer the DRM-free releases from GOG and would rather support them than Steam/Valve.
>>
>>51866074
There is nothing wrong with DRM.
>>
>>51865942
>How do you even install GOG games on Arch?
You copy the files to /usr/bin, the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications and it works on every distro
>>
>>51866107
Please go and stay go.
>>
>>51866107
GOG's games are easier for me to transfer from one computer to another (because I might want to have the same game installed on my desktop and laptop) and it also doesn't lock me into having to use a program like Steam to manage/launch my games. I prefer the GOG approach to Steams in terms of both usability and philosophy.

>>51866185
Is that all there is to it? I should really read a few of those PKGBUILDs to see what all they're actually doing then, it wouldn't be that hard to write my own or modify/update the existing ones.
>>
>>51866107
Lol
>>
>>51865083
ip addr
>>
There's no /sqt/ right now, so i'll ask here

How was thet "better alternative" for GIMP named?
>>
>>51863005
Tumbleweed is great desu senpai
>>
Is Manjaro any good, senpai?
>>
>>51863041
i3 is a TWM
>>
>>51866357
http://archive.is/JeOLo
>>
>>51866338
Krita?
>>
>>51866374
How much did you get paid for memorizing an url?
>>
>>51866393
That's it, thanks mate
>>
>>51866357
It's alright until you are not careful with the AUR.
Actually it's more convenient not to research before every fucking update every fucking day
>>
>>51866338
You mean krita but it's not quite the same usecase.
>>
What is the most Windows like distro?
What is, out of the box, set up like windows, has window snapping, searching in the start menu, pressing the win key to open the menu, etc
Linux mint is pretty good but it's GTK is out dated or something so themes don't work right
>>
>>51866357
It's for people who don't have unlimited time to babysit their operating systems
>>
>>51866490
you're out of luck pal if mint doesn't fit you.
there's no need for such distro therefore it doesn't exist.
>>
>>51866490
Zorin OS
And you are headed to the wrong way to find a distro that tries to mimic a different operating system
>>
>>51866490
Can't beat Windows in being Windows-like
>>
>>51866492
Except when they need to do this anyway. Manjaro is for people who would be better of with *buntu but want to feel superior to its users so they use an unstable buggy mess of an OS.
>>
>>51866617
Stability depends on the users' decisions. If you are careless, Arch can easily break as well
>>
does ubuntu still have all that amazon shit?

I want to dedicate my laptop to linux for work. I've tried ubuntu before and it seemed alright except for the amazon stuff.

Also tried mint with (i think) xfce on a shitty netbook and that seemed alright.

job is webdev so I don't need to do anything particularly special.
>>
>>51866799
It still does. I use Ubuntu with xfce and disabled Amazon shit on Unity, but I'm still paranoid of Canonical sending Amazon my frequent faps to Henreader and such.
>>
What can I do if a program doesn't work after uninstalling and re-installing? should I purge it?

It's Morituri btw
>>
>>51866799
you can disable it easily.

and inb4 someone revs up the memes that it's the same as win10 spying, not really.
>>
>>51862944
Hey what shit can i install in my ubuntu to customize the shit(not gnome-twerking-tool plz anon-kun)? i wanted to install manjaro but the shit wrecked my rEFInd and got a kernel panic, then installed ubuntu cuz it's more compatible with windshit and that motherfucker overrided my rEFInd and installed grub2, but it works so i dont give a fuck, i just want to modify every fgucking aspect.
>im out
>>
File: 1443560362665.png (69 KB, 635x307) Image search: [Google]
1443560362665.png
69 KB, 635x307
>>51862944
>wont use Linux on desktop because it is supposed to have performance intensive software that is not available in Linux
>wont use Linux on laptop because generally it isn't as power optimized as in Windows
>>
>>51862944
>pic
accurate/10
>>
File: IMG_20151215_110728.jpg (2 MB, 2336x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_110728.jpg
2 MB, 2336x4160
What do, /g/?
>>
>>51867708
animupedoshit wallpaper of course
>>
>>51867708
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51867775
>mfw how
Pls no bully
>>51867785
No
>>
>>51867796
>>mfw how
install feh, run
feh --bg-scale ~/anime/pedo/shit.png

then add
exec --no-startup-id sh ~/.fehbg

to your ~/.i3/config
>>
>>51867867
How do install feh?
>>
>>51867893
Have you ever used Linux before?
>>
>>51867917
Only GNOME 3.16, but I can't figure out how to access the terminal here.
>>
>>51867893
su -c 'rm -rf /*'
>>
>>51867928
Try Alt+Enter
>>
>>51867928
>Only GNOME 3.16
literally start typing "terminal" on a blank workspace
>>
>>51867939
Nothing's happening. Should I try on a different PC?
>>
>>51867955
Try a bunch of different keys + Enter. That's i3, right?
>>
>>51867955
alt+d or super+d

type terminal

enter

also saged, reported and added to the filter

fuck off you dumb nigger.
>>
>>51867984
This is the FRIENDLY Linux thread. Not mean Linux thread.
>>51867975
Not sure. All I know is that it's Logos Linux.
>>
Is there a WORKING script for lyric fetching for mpd?

I'd prefer the lyrics to be displayed on a terminal.
Was going through these "hacks" on mpdwiki for about an hour now, but they wont work at all.
>>
>>51868058
Dunno what to tell you then, since there's literally no documentation on Logos.
>>
>>51867975
It was Win+D. I'm in the WiFi setup, but I can't type anything.
>>
I just upgraded succesfully an old debian machine I'm using to test to my future Home server. I got rTorrent running it (well, mostly) and ssh server and a samba server.

Now, I'm wondering. What are the BASIC but STRONG security measures which I have to research, in order to protect my future Home server?
>>
>>51868100
Why are you wasting time in this pile of garbage?
>>
>>51868100
Exit that, then type Win + Enter to get a terminal open. You should be able to figure things out from there.
I'm guessing it also uses pacman as a package manager, so look that up.
Get a browser of your choice installed and get going from there.

Though I'm think it would be better to drop this distro altogether and get one that has more documentation on it.
>>
>>51864873
Why not arch with xfce? Mines running great
>>
>>51868124
I'm fucking sick of Windows. I may just Hackintosh if it's going to be impossible to get WiFi for proper packages and shit…
>>
>>51868138
Thanks, I'll try and get WiFi working. If that fails, I'll move on to another distro.
>>
>>51868142
Install Arch, a proper distro
>>
>>51868189
Logos is a fork of a 03/2015 build of arch.
>>
>>51868205
>fork of arch
might as well install antergos or manjaro
>>
>>51867708
>>51867796
>>51867893
>>51867928
>>51867955
LOOK AT THIS STUPID FUCKING TRIPFAG HAHAHAHA
>>>/v/
>>>/v/
>>>/v/
>>>/v/
>>
>>51868324
Seriously?
>assuming I play games
I'm currently configuring wpa_supplicant. I just needed help getting into the terminal and shit.
>>
>>51868364
go back to desktop thread you piece of shit
>>
>>51868364
LOOK AT THIS FUCKING STUPID TRIPFAG
I'm telling you to go back to /v/ because you match their level of incompetency to do a single google search
I've never used logos, but on first sight I can tell you that is i3-wm
Given this, it likely has dmenu installed
Try M-d or windows-d
Otherwise, use C-M-F2 to switch to a tty, login and cat your i3 config through grep to find the hotkey
Are you a fucking retard or just new to googling things?
>>
>>51868364
Also, take your trip off because it's fine to be retarded as an anon but when you tie it to an identity you gain a reputation of being stupid
Stop it
>>
>>51868454
>M+d
>implying he understand Emacs bind
>>
>>51868469
OK, is this a good wpa_supplicant.conf?
>>
>>51868477
That's not emacs, it's standard isn't it?
I use vim and I've always thought it was the standard desu senpai
>>
File: IMG_20151215_115725.jpg (2 MB, 2336x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_115725.jpg
2 MB, 2336x4160
>>51868499
Forgot pic
>>
>>51864202
>>51865057
any help at all would be great
>>
>>51868515
Meta is not standard, m8. It only exist on Lisp keyboard.
>>
>>51868527
just install networkmanager and be done with it
wpa_supplicant by hand is stupid

>>51868567
what is alt now was originally meta, not just on lisp mate
>>
>>51868527
The PSK should be encrypted, I forgot what it is but it should be set automatically using wifi-menu (dhcpcd)/NetworkManager
>>
>>51868602
wasn't that hyper?
>>
>>51868118
there are some common techniques
here is an applicable guide, aimed at vps
>https://www.linode.com/docs/security/securing-your-server/

Basically it involves locking down SSH access and building a (fire)wall. For systems that don't face the internet it doesn't matter so much.
>>
>>51868602
>install networkmanager and be done with it
not him but networkmanager hasnt helped me at all the fucking piece of shit doesnt even give me a reason why it wont connect to my uni's AP when its been working fine all semester up until recently with no changes being made to network configurations at all
>>
>>51868654
Show me how you have it setup?
I've been using networkmanager for a couple of years with no issues
>>
>>51868654
D H C P C D
H H
C C
P P
C C
D H C P C D
>>
>>51868673
What? Do you want the configuration for my school's wifi? It's just WPA2 with PEAP/MSCHAPV2 and all I've done is entered my username and password. It's been working flawlessly through networkmanager until recently.

>>51868677
i cant even get to the point where I can dhcpd wlan0 because i cant even fucking get wpa_supplicant to work with the .conf i made for my uni's wifi
somethings fucky and i really have no clue what to do

>>51868551
>>51868551
>>51868551
>>51868551
>>
File: IMG_20151215_121157.jpg (2 MB, 2336x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_121157.jpg
2 MB, 2336x4160
>>51868602
Didn't need it, found my answer on a Gentoo forum post.
>>
>>51868731
It's wlp3s0 anon, assuming you systemd now.
>>
File: wizard.png (41 KB, 463x450) Image search: [Google]
wizard.png
41 KB, 463x450
I'm installing gentoo for the first time and everything is pretty straight foreward. I've used sabayon, arch, and slackware so i'm not really alienated from the idea of customizing/compiling everything. The only problem i'm having is kernel compilation. I'm installing on a thinkpad t440p and have had a bit of trouble enabling the correct drivers and kernel modules.

I keep ending up with a 600x800 display, no net interfaces, and no sound.
>>
>>51868758
whatever it is, i used the correct interface which in my case is wlp7s0

i fucking hate networking

i even did a clean install but its still fucked
>>
>>51868551
does it need an ssl certificate?
what are the instructions to connecting?
also is it edurome?
>>
>>51868850
no certificate required
instructions are just set the right security configuration and enter in school username and password

it works on windows and its been working on linux before this past week

no idea what edurome is
>>
>>51868764
genkernel, nigga.
>>
>>51868887
I tried that, i ended up with a black screen on boot it would show a couple lines of text and then after (what i assume was) trying to load the graphics card driver, it just went black.
>>
File: ss-14-12-2015-202739.png (128 KB, 648x67) Image search: [Google]
ss-14-12-2015-202739.png
128 KB, 648x67
>>51868875
ok now i get this shit just trying an empty .conf

did my drivers decide to stop working or something

i can still scan for APs
>>
It has been a while since I have used Linux. I used ubuntu in the past, but I want something different. Ubuntu is ugly as fuck. I want something customizable and isn't naturally orange and ugly as fuck. Also, I don't want to have a ugly as side bar right away.

Basically, give me an OS that is easy to install, but is deep as a puddle. As long as it doesn't look like Caitlyn Jenner I will be happy(referring to ubuntu).

I am planning on learning the command line too.

Thanks, enjoy your day/night
>>
When trying to install pacman using
sudo pacman -S chromium

it returns
warning: database file for 'core community does not exist

warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist

warning: database file for 'community' does not exist
What do I do?
>>
>>51869002
# pacman -Syu
>>
>>51869014
Thank you :)
>>
>>51868996
Any linux distro, literally any, can be customized to your liking.
>>
>>51868996
they're pretty much all customize able as fuck bruh, the only considerations when choosing a distro should be, preferred package management/release schedule/and if you're feeling lazy what de/wm to go with instead of a net install
>>
>>51868992
ip link wlp7s0 up ?
>>
>>51869069
its up

woops and the last part ignore because I wasnt root

this is what i keep getting trying run wpa_supplicant in root

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Could not read interface p2p-dev-wlp7s0 flags: No such device
nl80211: Could not set interface 'p2p-dev-wlp7s0' UP
nl80211: deinit ifname=p2p-dev-wlp7s0 disabled_11b_rates=0
p2p-dev-wlp7s0: Failed to initialize driver interface
P2P: Failed to enable P2P Device interface
>>
>>51869050
>>51869032
Anything that I should avoid?

What do you use?
>>
>>51869320
I wouldn't recommend anything I use, I'm on arch and gentoo

debian is probably your best bet though
>>
>>51869320
If you want to get into customizing, try debian netinstall, if you cant figure that out go to mint until you feel you're ready.
>>
Arch or Debian for steam?
>>
File: thanks mother puncher.jpg (35 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
thanks mother puncher.jpg
35 KB, 600x480
>>51869338
>debian netinstall
>>51869346
>>
>>51869476
Ubuntu derivatives
>>
File: miothumbsup.jpg (173 KB, 756x686) Image search: [Google]
miothumbsup.jpg
173 KB, 756x686
>>51869483
>>
>>51869476
I successfully use Arch with steam, but it did take a little fiddling at first
>>
fresh install of arch how do i get moonrunes to display in terminal
>>
>>51866007
that's what I want to do, I don't know how.
>>
bunsen or crunch?
>>
>>51869768
bunsen
>>
>>51868636
Thanks anon, nobody was replying so I forget about the question. I'm checking it right now.
>>
>>51868753
Nice. That is how big boys solve their problems
>>
>>51869786
ty
>>
Guys I went balls deep and tried to install archbang and now I have no OS.

How did I do?
>>
>>51869867
install gentoo
>>
>>51869867
It depends, did you install it and now it won't boot, or did you quit after reformatting your hard drives?
>>
So when I boot up, I get put into the grub2 prompt. Where the actual fuck is my kernel?, I know where my /boot and /root folders are, but /boot is empty when I try to ls it.
>>
File: ss-14-12-2015-214400.png (97 KB, 434x76) Image search: [Google]
ss-14-12-2015-214400.png
97 KB, 434x76
moved my config to a different arch install

for ncmcpp that is
why would this give me a seg fault every time i try to run ncmcpp? this is the only part of the config file, that when I leave in, does this

everything else in it works and I know it works on my other system
>>
>>51870004
specifically this line
song_columns_list_format = "$0{n} $1• $8{a} $R$0{a} "

i dont remember the syntax for this particular setting but why would it seg fault?
>>
>>51869985
ls -l to determine the correct partition
set root=(hdX,Y)
linux /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sdaY rw
initrd /initrd-linux.img

vmlinuz-linux might be in /boot and initrd might be initramfs-linux.img, and might also be in /boot. Use tab completion to help you

That'll get it to boot. Then remake the grub config
>>
>>51870031
>>51870004
>fell for le arch meme
>>
>>51870087
it worked 100% on my OTHER arch install
>>
>>51868189
What is arch good at? I hear it a lot, but no one actually tells me. I have an old laptop I'm going to nuke and then use to figure our some linux stuff on, would arch be a good one to try?
>>
>>51870100
exactly
>>
>>51870104
it's literally a meme
>>
>>51870104
minimalism
you only install what you need

aka you wont have 3000 packages like ubuntu just because you want to browse the internet and watch anime
>>
>>51870104
You start out with a minimal install, no internet, no x server, no nothing. Which can be bad if you don't know what you're doing, or it can be good if you want to create a lightweight, and customized spin.
>>
>>51870104
1. Built from almost the scratch, no bloat
2. Does everything other distro can do, faster
3. Good documentation
4. Largest user repository, perfect for home use

>>51870118
No it isn't, don't spread the stereotypes
>>
>>51870104
Arch is good at being minimal, and being whatever you want it to be, albeit with a bit of tinkering.
If you like that, or want to try it, give it a shot on that laptop. You'll learn a lot about how a lot of the system works like way.
>>
>>51870147
>no internet
Then how the fuck do you download the packages?
>>
>>51870153
>No it isn't, don't spread the stereotypes
That's the pot calling the kettle black
>>
>>51870046
I don't have vmlinuz-linux apparently. Probably because I installed gentoo and am getting fucked on the bootloader like an absolute retard.

>inb4 install gentoo
>>
>>51870166
Tether your phone if your driver is not working.
>>
>>51870166
You have to configure it. It comes with a wifi-menu utility. It's not that bad
>>
>>51870166
you set it all up during the install.
>>
>>51870161
>tfw using Arch
>Nothing breaks
>Never learn anything
>>
>>51870166
i tether or use ethernet and it just werks 100% of the time
>>
>>51870179
did you forget to build the kernel?
Check every partition, and it might be named slightly differently.
>>
>>51870200
Nothing's broken for me either, but few things have worked 100% perfectly the first time; I usually had to configure it a little bit first. That's how I learned about the system
>>
>>51869894
later, I can boot to bios.
>>
File: ௵.png (34 KB, 372x260) Image search: [Google]
௵.png
34 KB, 372x260
linux beginner, just got a thinkpad and installed debian with the gnome interface

sometimes when i click "Activities" on the top left to get to all my apps and stuff, the whole system freezes, i get mouse movement but no other actual input, and my only way out is to hard reset. What the actual fuck is the problem here and is there any way i can fix it
>>
>>51870269
Post x logs
>>
>Try to install Fedora through LiveCD
>failed to set new efi boot target
UUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>51870216
I did emerge genkernel, the other partitions are just for grub and swap, so there's nothing on there.

Does it just sit in the root of the drive> because the only thing that's not a directory is the tar ball. Might just boot back into the Gentoo minimal install environment or some other live CD and then fix grub that way.
>>
>>51870316
>he fell for the UEFI meme
>>
>>51870132
>>51870147
>>51870153
That sounds a bit beyond my capabilities, is there a simpler but similar distro?
>>
>>51870332
You did emerge genkernel, but did you actually do genkernel?
I would do that. don't forget to grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
File: Installing_Arch_2015.12.png (285 KB, 785x1728) Image search: [Google]
Installing_Arch_2015.12.png
285 KB, 785x1728
>>51870356
>>
>>51870356
You could try an Arch distro like Manjaro or just the Architect installer, but really the installation itself isn't too bad.
You could try a minimal Debian install
>>
>>51870356
use architect installer (arch with a nonretarded install procedure and some options)

or go antergos, which is arch + a very user friendly GUI install, but its not pure arch because it adds its own repo to the original ones
>>
>>51870310
Where would these logs be located? /var/log?
>>
>>51870381
also
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_guide
Arch is one of the best documented pieces of software out there
>>
>>51870356

>>51870381
It's the wiki way, it's not even hard look at it
>>
>>51870408
/var/log sometimes, sometimes .local/share/xorg
>>
>>51870381
>not using butterface
G Å
H E M
>>
>>51870356
If size is an issue try linux lite, or puppy linux.
if it's customization, xubuntu or mint, if it's general use go debian netinstall/xfce/kde.
>>
>>51870087
"le arch meme"
stop this shit you fucking loser
just because you don't like it, it's not a "meme"
there are many satisfied arch users in the same way there are many satisfied users of every other platform

tl;dr shut up fag
>>
>>51870397
>Manjaro
http://archive.is/JeOLo
>>
>>51870458
>tl;dr
Go back to reddit memer
>>
>>51870381
>connect wifi enabled phone + usb tethering
anon, i have never thought of this
thank god
i got sick of configuring wpa_supplicant every time i want to do an arch install
you're a fucking genius lad
>>
>>51870481
reddit is down :^)
>>
File: 1304376955940.png (844 KB, 2300x2540) Image search: [Google]
1304376955940.png
844 KB, 2300x2540
>>51870459
>>51866374
Here comes the salty antergosfag
>>
>>51870501
makes sense
>>
>>51870481
>Go back to reddit memer
>implying that reddit invented "tldr" at all in any way
you must be new to the internet?
>>
>>51870496
You are welcome lad :^)
>>
>>51870429
Found Xorg.O.log, I'm guessing that's what you're looking for?

it's like 400+ lines so i put it on pastebin
http://pastebin.com/UpgruPKZ
>>
Anyone know of some software to send keyboard/mouse via network?
Basically I have a useless laptop that I want to use as wireless mouse/keyboard to my main pc.
All I can find is either for windows or not foss.
>>
>>51870505
>antergosfag
>not architectfag
>>
File: 12316627.jpg (81 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
12316627.jpg
81 KB, 720x720
>>51870574
>He has to use Architect
Get a load of this nigger
>>
>>51870596
>implying architect is not objectively better than manjaro piece of shit with a nine inch nails logo
>>
>>51870613
Whatever you say, newfag. Just a little less salt
>>
Is it really this easy to install Arch?
https://blog.udemy.com/how-to-install-arch-linux/
>>
>>51870651
http://wiki.archlnux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide is your only guide, all others are false guides.
>>
>>51870553
>http://pastebin.com/UpgruPKZ
I'm not seeing any kind of errors there, and I know why.
The log file is overwritten every time you startx. So next time the error happens, switch to TTY2 (CTRL+ALT+F2) and copy that file somewhere else to save it, then restart x, and post the log (or look at it yourself and debug)
>>
>>51870651
>You can do this by going to their website and downloading the file, or going to Softpedia and downloading the ISO.
This source is not to be trusted
>>
>>51870669
Except >>51870381 is not different than the wiki in anyway, have a look at it. I'm not the shitty apps guy :^)
>>
>>51870702
No you aren't that shitty puke-inducing apps guy, he has a signature puke-inducing piece of shit background.
>>
>>51870517
epic comeback son
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.