[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 146018.jpg (82 KB, 640x919) Image search: [Google]
146018.jpg
82 KB, 640x919
Previous thread: >>>51843268

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
File: 10a3a513a6[1].png (5 KB, 328x70) Image search: [Google]
10a3a513a6[1].png
5 KB, 328x70
i know this is supremely stupid but i'll ask anyway
i want to back up my entire pc to an external hard drive, i just copy and paste this into a folder on it, right?
>>
>>51853378
Yes.Or you can use imaging software that can automate it and do snapshot or differental backups
>>
I posted at the end of the new thread, so I'll just repost here. I'm learning about C++ inheritance and derived classes. I'm getting errors in the following:
Pancakes::Pancakes(string name, KIND kindOfItem, int amount): myName(name), myKind(kindOfItem), myAmount(amount)

I'm not understanding why I'm getting errors, I'm at a complete loss. I tried altering the syntax as much as I could, nixed the "myName, myKind." What am I doing wrong?

Header File:
class FoodItem
{
public:
enum KIND {BREAKFAST, LUNCH, DINNER, SNACK };
FoodItem(string name, KIND kindOfItem);
string getName() const;
KIND getKind() const;

private:
KIND myKind;
string myName;
};

class Pancakes : public FoodItem
{
public:
Pancakes(string name, KIND kindOfItem, int amount);
int getAmount() const;
private:
int myAmount;

};

FoodItem::FoodItem(string name, KIND kindOfItem): myName(name), myKind(kindOfItem)
{}

Pancakes::Pancakes(string name, KIND kindOfItem, int amount): myName(name), myKind(kindOfItem), myAmount(amount)
{}

FoodItem::KIND FoodItem::getKind() const
{
return myKind;
}

string FoodItem::getName() const
{
return myName;
}

int Pancakes::getAmount() const
{
return myAmount;
}
>>
>>51853400
if i do that is it quicker and safer? the reason i'm doing this is to downgrade to windows 7
>>
I got a shipping confirmation email today, for a package I ordered, that said it was being delivered by "Next-Day Air."
My driveway is kinda small, will the plane be able to land?
>>
>>51853418
If its a one time thing,yeah just drag and drop.
>>
>>51853440
Probly a drone desu
>>
Might as well post it here as well since the guy in the last thread didn't help.
Baka MPlayer only pulls the 720p versions of videos from Youtube. Anyone know how to fix thi?
>>
>>51853443
alright then, thanks
but what about if it tries to stop me from copying something? sometimes that happens even on the admin account
>>
>>51853482
Those files are active files and links to other places.Ignore it and continue the transfer
>>
>>51853492
alright, thanks again
>>
File: 1444135455891.jpg (67 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
1444135455891.jpg
67 KB, 539x960
I'm trying to install a pirated game and I'm getting decompression error -14. Does this mean the file was corrupted during sftp transfer? Is there any way to verify the integrity of the file with bitkinex cause I have shit internet and I dont think my data cap can handle another 15 gig download
>>
>>51853341
Debian or centOS for max stability?

>I need a distro that has max stability for raiding and reliability purposes.

>Hint
FUCK OFF WINDOWS FAGS
>>
For class, I'm doing a small presentation on data center cooling solutions and am struggling to find some source on how liquid cooling works in the context of a data center environment. Is it basically the same has how liquid cooling works on a like a home computer?
>>
>>51853598
Centos.
For LTS repos
>raid
Software or hardware?
>>
>>51853614
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ciscoitatwork/data_center/dc_mgmt.html

They don't use liquid cooling, they use best practices.

In fact look at vmwares best practices for data centers, they speak nothing of liquid cooling.

http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/documentation/en-us/brands/liebert/documents/white%20papers/sl-24664.pdf
>>
>>51853614
>>51853641
>liquid cooling
bruh
AC going at 50F nothing is liquid cooled in servers lol
>>
>>51853637
Software Raid.

I used fedora and this is my first time with raid and linux. On windows it worked, I could use it. On linux (fedora) the raided disk would not work, after reformatting it broke.

I am now after an OS that is worth investing a lot of time educating myself with this matter. For the effort I am looking at I do not want the distro the break a day later.
>>
>>51853658
Nah they use fanless servers.

They also design their datacenters in a fashion where heat is ether jetted away from the room to a cooling center, or they use special design servers that produce minimal heat but have many cores and CPUs. Look at google. They do not have much in way of massive cooling systems for each server do they.

Like the rapsberri pi design. Low voltage, low heat. Same concept by on a large scale.

I would know since I had to design a energy efficient datacenter using best practice of both Australian and American standards.
>>
>>51853662
Centos.
Beyond security updates i dont belive the stock repos change.As they are for production eniroments.

I've never fucked with software raid,
You can pick up a decent 3ware card for a few hundred.It way better then software raid.
>>
Parents gave me $800 for my birthday. I have a bunch of money saved up and want to build a decent PC. Is this a good build for the price?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Z2TGX

If this is the wrong place to ask please let me know and I will delete and move this to a more appropriate thread.
>>
>>51853718
I even submitted to a CEO the idea of high rise building datacenter designs. Having servers on the highest floors effects heat disposition by 12.degrees per average server.

Liquid cooling is a lazy way to disperse heat when using a datacenter.
>>
>>51853641
That's great, but I just want to give a short explanation of liquid cooling. I want to know how it works is all.
>>
>>51853723
That was my next thought. I am just worried about buying fake raid thinking it is real hardware raid.

Might even buy a nas for that purpose.
>>
>>51853378

>>51853400
Yes? WTF.. You can't just copy and paste the C: and expect any kind of usable OS backup. Use Windows' built-in backup utility to make an image.
>>
>>51853783
how do i do this?
will it take less time? mine just started copying and it says there's 20+ hours left
>>
File: amd-phenom-ii-x6.jpg (57 KB, 430x307) Image search: [Google]
amd-phenom-ii-x6.jpg
57 KB, 430x307
Will Phenom X6 get any notcible improvement in games with low level APIs like DirectX 12, or it's a dead CPU?
6 cores seems counter productive for DX11, but should work well in DX12.
>>
>>51853751
Liquid cooling is a designed method and attempt of reducing heat of specific computer components. Fans move the water in a circuit fashion. The heat is then placed into two possible configurations.

>Radiator cooled
>Fan cooled

For this reason space and datacenters can pose a problem with the use of water cooling.

Best practice guides suggest a rather smarter approach to datacenter designs then the overall use of cooling technologies. Like the high rise data center placement which can reduce heat for 9.degrees per server then those compared to be underground.

There that is your report buddy. Mine the spelling. I was not prepared for this.
>>
Currently got antergos install on a normal harddrive, when I switch to an SSD can I just clone my harddrive or something and pick up where I left off?
>>
>>51853849
Depending is the UUI is remember or not.

The use of systmd improved how you can do that simple step but the use of init can have varying results.

Try it I guess. You can always reformat your ssd
>>
>>51853827
I play FO4 with a x6 1090T 3.2ghz and a 480gtx on high and i have no problems.
>>
>>51853742
Haven't even checked your link, but did you check LogicalIncrements before posting?
>>
So I bought a bigger SSD to serve as my boot drive. I don't feel like doing a fresh install, especially because I just did one a couple months ago, so I figured I'd try cloning my current boot drive and just pasting it onto the new one.

If I use CloneZilla for this, will it also copy over the System Reserved partition (I'm on Windows)?
>>
>>51853876
No you cannot do it with windows partitions. It will fuck up and waste your time trying.

you can do it with linux but results vary.

>Just do a fresh install.
It is good for the soul and your computer.
>>
>>51853864
As far as I know this CPU is outdated right now. I'm just interested if DX12 can put it back in line with current line up of entry CPUs, like FX6300 or i3.
I'm thinking if getting DX12_0\1 GPU for another 2 or 3 years is worth it, or just wait a bit and change the whole setup.
>>
Can someone recommend me a silent case that isn't a bog standard fractal r5?
>>
File: tenma_sob.jpg (48 KB, 310x451) Image search: [Google]
tenma_sob.jpg
48 KB, 310x451
>>51853889
Damn it! All right. Thanks, anon.
>>
So Windows updated today and now nothing fucking works. Try watching a video in Firefox and the Flash plug in crashes. Tried watching a video on my HDD, VLC won't work now. I opened up Edge to try watching a video there, the browser just stops responding.

WTF happened here? Is this just a freak thing? I want to be mad but this is almost comical.
>>
Need a new language to learn, which is more useful Java or Haskell?
>>
>>51853827
I was looking at Phenom II x6 prices the other day for my motherboard. It's not worth $80+ for that small of an improvement. You're better off saving up for Skylake or Zen.
>>
is liquid cooling worth it?
>>
>>51853923
C++
>>
i just built a new pc. sadly, i don't have a monitor. just a tv. for a while it was booting up into windows fine. i pulled the cmos battery in some act of madness late last night and now it won't boot properly. since i'm using a tv i can't see the screen it's hanging on. i know the bios is booting because i get the post beep but... ugh... i've been trying to guess what has been popping up on screen in hopes the right combination of key presses will get it to boot again. am i fucked? this is hopeless... i just want to play fallouts.
>>
>>51853927
Custom loop.Yes
AIO.No.
>>
>>51853898
r4
>>
>>51853925
Nah, I'm not saying I want to buy one, I'm asking if it will get any improvement due to better parallelization in DX12.
>>
>>51853919
Windows 10 is still beta since they add unstable stuff to the system are minimal testing. Should had waited.
>>
File: 1415167829523.gif (16 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1415167829523.gif
16 KB, 125x125
If I have a dual monitor setup, is there a way to play sound from the two different sources? Like if I wanted to play a movie on a tv, and play a game at the same time, is there a way I can get the movie to play through the TV speakers, and have the game play through my PC speakers, but not both at the same time?
>>
>>51853936
Is the cmos pins in the proper place to boot?
You might have them reseting and it wont post cause its set to reset each time.
>>
>>51853930
You autistic sperg that wasn't one of the options! I already know C++.

Please McFuckin kill yourself.
>>
>>51853936
Pulling the cmos battery out if a sure way to fuck up your bios.

You need to reflash your bios now.
>>
>>51853956
You need a mixer,and a way to tell software which hardware you want it to go too.
I dont know how you'd do it on windows thought
>>
>>51853956
That should be possible, especially for the movie.

I wanna say most decent media players let you choose which sound device to output to.
>>
>>51853955
>Windows 10 is still beta since they add unstable stuff to the system are minimal testing. Should had waited.
Well fuck it, I gave up and just booted up Linux. I guess I will just hope it works next time I boot it up.
>>
>>51853940
Got anything that isn't by fractal design?
>>
>>51853970
Dogshit.
Battery is literally only there to store bios config.If it goes out or you remove it for an extended time.All that will happen is your bios go back to factory defaults.
Its not 1990's anymore
>>
i have a 2tb external hard drive and it's not in ntfs, how do i make a 1tb ntfs partition?
>>
File: IMG_4442.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4442.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814487096&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814487096&gclid=CLG39aDL2skCFYaCfgod0skAOQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

So I have $100 and I want to buy a graphics card to upgrade my PC to be able to play Left 4 Dead and Battlefield 3. I'm thinking of buying an EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB. Is this a good idea? The rest of my computer is fine, I just need a cheap graphics card that can play games at a playable frame rate.
>>
>>51853962
>Need a new language to learn, which is more useful Java or Haskell?
What part of your post states that? You specified that you would like to learn a language that isn't Java or Haskell.
Try actually asking your question properly next time if you want a better answer.
>>
>>51853960
i pulled the battery, i didn't fuck with the any pins. do you mean like putting a jumper on to short the pins and then not removing it? because i didn't do that either.
>>51853970
it has dual bios so i'm pretty sure it recovered from the old one after i put the battery back and turned it back on again. i really hope i don't have to flash it because that would be impossible right now.

i don't have the money for a new monitor right now. i just need to get it back to the damn factory default settings because those were good to get into windows.
>>
I'm about to clean install Windows to a Samsung SSD. I made two previous attempts, but they both failed , most likely due to disc errors on the DVD. How should I remove these failed installations? Should I use delete or format on the Windows installation disc, or should I use Samsung's secure erase feature?
>>
>>51853742
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Z2TGX

It's fine, but MSI is shit, Corsair meme RAM is questionable, i7 4790k is a ripoff, and why the fuck are you using a mechanical hard drive?

Also, Skylake and Broadwell are out now so technically this build is two generations old.

Switch to:
EVGA 140-SS-E177-KR
Kingston ValueRAM KVR21N15D8K2/16
Intel i5 6600
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
>>
>>51853980
But how is he goin to differentiate which audio stream windows is going to send? You can do that to audio device,but he is only playing the audio to one software stream.He would get,for example,get his music,movie,alarm all on the same stream,He need sto find a way to send each program stream to a different audio channel.Then take that and send it to the device
>>
>>51853990
if it was working fine when i first installed it and isn't now i think that means i fucked up something beyond bios settings i think and i'm even more fucked. i know it worked fresh out of the box. does resetting the bios always restore it to the way it came in the box or is it more nuanced than that?
>>
>>51853805
click start. type 'backup'. hit enter. click the 'system image' option. select a drive to write the image to.

classic stupid questions...
>>
>>51853995
diskmanager.msc
Find disk.
make partition
Format it ntfs
>>
>>51853996
You could propably snag a zotac gtx 750 ti for 100$ somewhere. Plays even this years AAA gaymes fine.
>>
>>51854015
Anon, you've been posting in these threads for quite a while. Spaces. After. Periods.
>>
>>51854012
Oops. Not samsung 850. I meant Samsung 950 Pro M.2.
>>
>>51854036
grammar nazi pls
>>
>>51854002
jumper pins,yes.Might as well check it.Removing the battery dosent cause any damage.Unless you physically damaged the board trying to take it out.
>>
>>51854041
Maybe people will take your advice if you actually learn how to coherently articulate yourself. As it is, I don't even read your posts because you look like a goddamn idiot who never passes third grade.
>>
>>51854003
You dont have to delete anything.Just remove the partitions and then let windows have fun
>>
>>51853919
My Windows 10 installation broke yesterday. Suddenly a lot of programs wouldn't start any more, and it was all around broken. The system recovery stuff did jack shit. I just had to reinstall the whole thing.
>>
>>51854002
Hope this helps is some manner anon

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

you do need to somehow get a screen working. Even a mexican quality screen
>>
>>51854012
>using a mechanical hard
For data.
OS=ssd
DATA=10k platter
>>
>>51854045
well, i'm always paranoid about fucking something up when i open a case. power cables and shit can be a pain to remove. and bend in the board makes me sweat like a pig but you gottta get the damn power cable out for whatever damn reason and it won't budge. i'm probably more worried that it's a more seriously, costly problem then changing a couple bios settings but that's probably it. i'm going to get a cheap ass monitor in a week and see it's just asking me to type the word yes or something before it will complete resetting to defaults and that has been the problem the whole time... surely it's that.
>>
>>51854015
With games you're probably going to have to rely on whatever you tell Windows to default to, but if you're willing to stick a specific media player you might be able to tell the media player to ignore Windows' default and select a specific connected audio device.

VLC has an option for this, I bet MPC does too if you fuck around with it.
>>
>>51854030
>zotac gtx 750

What's the difference between that and what I chose? Does an "x" and 10 more make that big of a difference?
>>
>>51854065
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Z2TGX
Fine, except there's no SSD in that build... did you even look?

Anyway 10k RPM is the same price per gb as SSD, it's a fucking stupid way to go today.
>>
>>51854024
Moving the cmos jumper pins will reset the bios config to factory.It is hard coded on to an eeprom chip with the stock factory settings.You cant touch it jumpers,software unless you remove the chip physically and play with it
>>
>>51853987
Hey I am a linux fan but that is a retarded way to think. Why not reload to windows 8.1 and wait a while until you take the free upgrade.

If you want a system that works different but achieves the same goal then go linuix.
>>
>>51854052
It just dosent fucking matter.and i will continue to do so,because it causes you to get your panties in a bunch.and your butthurt shows everytime.
>>
>>51854084
do they alter factory settings before shipping boards at all ever? like, if it worked fresh out of the box... and then i remove the cmos battery and it resets to default it must mean i broke something else fucking around in there because now it's not working like new.
>>
>>51854028
it's not letting me add or shrink anything ;_;
>>
>>51854101
>every time
First time I've posted about it, mate. I've just been silently judging you up until now.
>>
>>51854115
>wah wah
>anons aren't typing like this is a letter to the editor of the new york times
cry moar
>>
Anyone have recommendations for a good case for an iPhone 5c? Was thinking an otterbox case.

It's a hand-me-down phone from my mommy who said she isn't selling it.
>>
>>51854124
But this is literally the first time I've ever responded.
Also, are you serious? You're legitimately telling me that you are intentionally typing in a way that you know makes it more difficult to understand what you're trying to say. I could cut out every vowel from my typing and you could still understand roughly what it means, but I won't because I don't have brain damage.

Seriously, anon. Explain your reasoning to me. I want to know.
>>
>>51854105
They install the factory defaults on to the eeprom and thats that.You cant touch it with anything in the bios settings,or any other software.You cannot flash it within the means of your motherboard.

It sounds like you might have done something to the board.
Do you have the manual or find it online and see the post code(should be an led display on the board) If its posting but not putting out video there should be a gpu fail code.

Might just try resating the gfx compltly and see if something is up with it
>>
>>51854150
simply he lives in /b/
>>
>>51854150
>remove every vowel
And i could remove the same and you could still read my text.doing this literally makes it the same.
>more difficult
How faggot?Fucking how,you can read it perfectly fine.The brain its self allows this

That anon said that the the nigger was a faggot.
Proof
>>
>>51854154
it's got onboard graphics... or on dye or w/e intel integrated shit. i get the beep with it closed, so that's good i think. i'll try turning it on with the case open and see if there are any more specific signals of its status. this monitor can't come soon enough.
>>
>>51854079
Yes.
>>
>>51854184
Should be something on the board,either a red light in a certain spot.Or a small block with 2 numbers/letters that will show a code you can look up
>>
if i buy a windows 8.1 key and activate my pirated windows 8.1 with that key will it work?
>>
>>51854201
doesn't windows have an official source for people to just download windows from? in other words, why ever download more than an activator from a pirate.
>>
>>51854186
I should propably nention that theres a difference between gtx 750 non-ti and gtx 750 ti
>>
are there any windows virtual reality video players that work like youtube's HTML5 player where you just drag your mouse around to look?
>>
File: IMG_4312.jpg (146 KB, 764x764) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4312.jpg
146 KB, 764x764
>>51854240
What is the difference? Would it matter to a guy who just wants games to run?

I don't know anything about PC gaming, I just want to play more video games.
>>
>>51854178
That makes a lot of sense, thanks.
>>51854181
I'm starting to think you're just pretending to be retarded. Your typing style makes it more difficult because it requires the reader to interpret your text then internally translate it.
Plus your example isn't proof at all. To match my previous example, your sentence would become "tht ann sd tht th th nggr ws fggt," which is technically still legible, but you would need to literally have brain damage to think that those two allow you to convey your thoughts the same.
>>
In a bash script when should one use a CASE statement instead of an IF/ELIF/ELSE statement?
if success; then
printf success
elif fail; then
printf fail
else
printf other
fi

or
case $result in
success)
printf success;;
fail)
printf fail;;
*)
printf other;;
esac

Should CASE only be used when there are >=4 options to avoid an IF/ELIF/ELIF/ELSE situation?
>>
File: 20151213_215149.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151213_215149.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Sorry guys, but I can't really find the solution to my problem on google and I've had it for a little while now.
The last few games I've been playing have been stuttering during regular gameplay/processing parts.
I've got 2 970's in sli but I have a feeling they're not set up right.
As you can see in the picture, gpu 1 has the gb indicator wheras #2 has only rpm speed. I feel like the hardware I have should be able to handle the games I'm playing, what gives?
Game in pic is guild wars 2, last game I played tomb raider before and the same problem existed.
>>
>>51854229
my friend gave me the cd with pirated windows 8.1 but now it wants me to activate windows and its honestly annoying
>>
>>51854429
>that reflection
You're cute :3
>>
File: 20151213_224005.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151213_224005.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>51854429
Here's some of my setup as well
>>
>>51853996
get 750ti for 10$ more and use nVidia step up offer.
>>
>>51854319
750 ti is significantly faster than 750 non-ti.
>>
I just got a Surface Pro 3. Would it run better with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?
>>
>>51854490
Windows 10, I bet. Unlike with Apple, I've found Windows to get a little faster with each subsequent release, even on the same hardware.
>>
Should I install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to an 850 Evo?
>>
>>51854472
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KHUE0MC/ref=psd_mlt_nbc_B00IFZ547Q_pb
>$105
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/mlt/B00IFZ547Q/ref=psd_mlt_dp_click_B00IFZ547Q?showV2=1
>$150
What's the difference between these two?
>>
>>51854590

Not much. The $150 one has two DVI ports instead of one, and isn't on sale.
>>
>>51854619
Oh thanks man, I guess I'll buy the $105 card.
>>
I finally got the fall windows 10 update
what do I use to remove botnet?
>>
Poster from
>>51850896
>>51850851
>>51849896
Here, I just finished the change and it all went well, however I can't seem to connect to my wireless network anymore. My adapter has changed it's name to "Wifi 2" and now won't go past limited connection.
I can see it in my Router, but only ever on a 1 minute lease and my WLAN card software is reporting my IP as 164.254.179.139 which is windows for fucked.

Any ideas? I've rolled back drivers, uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, reset the modem, used netsh to reset the TCP/IP stack but I can't seem to connect.
>>
>>51853475
in the mpv config, put;
ytdl-format=bestvideo+bestaudio/best

in the [default] section
>>
is reading textbook pdfs on a 5.5 inch phone comfortable?

should i get a tablet for this or should i satisfy my desire for a mechanical watch
>>
File: asterisk.png (46 KB, 279x245) Image search: [Google]
asterisk.png
46 KB, 279x245
>>
Are there any media players that can automatically interpolate slow motion playback so that the slowed down video still plays at the normal smooth frame rate? Like if you lowered a 24fps video to 50% playback speed, it would normally play at 12fps... could anything interpolate that back to 24fps while still at 50% speed?
>>
DDR4 2800 CAS 15 1.25v
or
DDR4 2800 CAS 16 1.2v
>>
>>51855089
>is reading textbook pdfs on a 5.5 inch phone comfortable?
fuck no, I have a 5.5" screen and I have to constantly pinch/zoom and pan around the page to read. You need a tablet if you want to seriously use as a PDF viewer.

Maybe it would work on your phone if you had a textbook that is physically small, but for the normal sized ones with huge pages absolutely not
>>
>>51854903
Never mind, it was my pleb tier router fucking up.

Successfully switched from H170 to Z170 motherboard without reinstalling windows with no hiccups.
>>
>>51855029
Would you mind elaborating? As far as I can tell, the only config file Baka MPlayer has is bakamplayer.ini, and there's nothing under AppData/Roaming/mpv/
Should I add a config file there?
>>
>>51855135
Both at the same price.
>>
If I run Windows 10 through Parallels on OS X, will microsoft be able to spy on:

A. my Windows 10 install

B. my files outside of the Windows install (OS X stuff)
>>
>>51855089
what size tablet do you recommend minimum?
>>
Is there any page on 4chan which shows the various filesize limits for various file types on the various boards of 4chan? e.g. on /tv/ webm limit is 3mb but gif/jpg limit is 4mb. hr limit is 8mb. etc
>>
>>51855284
In general, 7-8" is a comfortable reading size. For stuff that's large format or heavy on graphics (like comics/manga/textbooks), 9-10" might work better.
>>
>>51855264
It reports everything it has access to. I don't know what Parallels is, but as long as it properly sandboxes it you should be fine.
>>
>>51855305
alright thanks. last question.

at 8 inches i'd probably go with the nvidia shield k1. is there a larger tablet that offers similar value?
>>
I live in the US and want to purchase something for a friend in the UK so I went on amazon.co.uk, is this a smooth process? Anyone done this?
>>
>>51855340
I don't feel like doing research for you, but probably not. The K1 is top-tier in bang for buck at the moment.
>>
>>51855384
fair enough. thanks
>>
>>51855264
>>51855308

>https://www.parallels.com/
>>
>>51855382
if you got his adress it is smooth
>>
How do I make muh DE look pretty?

Which default DE should I start with at installation? (Debian Plebian)
>>
File: file.png (463 KB, 757x568) Image search: [Google]
file.png
463 KB, 757x568
When it comes to PC games, engines, and optimization, would there be such a thing as diminishing returns? If I may phrase my question better;

Suppose I am making a game for all platforms, and I decided to use Unreal Engine 4. This engine, from my understanding, can accomplish some feats to satisfy high end systems, such as more impressive lighting and shadows. But suppose I wanted to add a super low settings option, like pic related. Would scaling the graphics down more and more actually improve performance, or does the engine itself need to be customized further for that?
>>
File: helpplsg.png (167 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
helpplsg.png
167 KB, 1366x768
So /g/ since I can't code could someone make a tweak to the homepage I found?

I want it to have a dropdown menu so where It says /g/ I could hover over it and it'd have a submenu with other 4chan links? sorry if this doesn't make sense or if I'm asking too much

code here: https://ghostbin.com/paste/q5s9p
>>
File: 71vH5X3QVpL._SL1500_.jpg (187 KB, 1500x1096) Image search: [Google]
71vH5X3QVpL._SL1500_.jpg
187 KB, 1500x1096
So I'm in the market for a new laptop as a gift. Looking at the Asus F555LA-AB31 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011KFQASE/)

The only real question I have after scouring the internet for every other detail of this thing, would it be possible to install Windows 7 properly off a fresh install? Asus website only lists 8.1 and 10 on the driver page, and the "other" OS tab just brings up BIOS and a couple other things. Do 8.1 drivers have a history of working on 7, or am I stuck between 10 and 8.1?
>>
>>51855420
I do, thanks
btw the currency rate is fucking horrible for people in the US, 150 pounds is like 228 american
>>
>>51855510
Textures and post-processing effects contribute most heavily to performance issues. Before you do any optimization I would try to test a build on a low end computer and slowly reduce quality starting with texture resolutions.
>>
>>51855583
I see. So could I hypothetically design a game that looks like Crysis 3 on Max settings, that needs a, i7 and a 980TI to run smoothly, and the low settings to look like the Dire Straits video, and being able to run on, huh, maybe a Pentium 4 and a Radeon 9550? I mean, these parts are ancient, but the question refers more to their power rather than their age. Would it be possible at all to make super low settings to run on weak hardware, or would UE4 be too bloated for them, thus making this "optimization" a waste?
>>
I want to launch a website.
I have a domain name. Once I have a bootstrap template chosen what do I do next? I'm planning on hosting with heroku. The site is going to have articles and a sidebar and eventually ads like any other news site, so what do I use to update it?

Additionally, if I want to change the website design, what are some essential tools?
>>
this chapstick has a 2011 copyright date on it but it's still sealed, is it okay to use it?
>>
>>51853341
So I am after a decent laptop with 16 gig ram but ability to go up to 32gig ram that is under $1500 aud.

>Needed for vitalization
>Support 2 HDD (1SSD 1HDD)
>15inch or higher screen
>I7

Any suggestions
>>
>>51855618
The capabilities are all about how far you choose to optimize. You COULD go so far as to include lower polygon models (since you're notioning towards Crysis vs. my picture), but do note that stronger optimization means larger disk requirement since you have to pack all those extra assets in (character_model_ULTRA, character_model_HIGH, character_model_MEDIUM, etc.) You should read up on the graphics pipeline and some basic rendering in DX/OpenGL. Not about how to do it but a higher level analysis of how it works. I can of course continue to answer any questions you have.
>>
I want to auto-generate cross-platform playlists from a listing of every flac in a directory, non-recursive. The filenames contain the track number. Is there a tool to do this or can basic scripting accomplish it?
>>
>>51855618
I forgot to answer your question. UE4 probably has its own absolute minimum requirements which sets a hard floor. Your implementation determines the "soft floor."
>>
I want a portable laptop/ultrabook for programming, virtual machines and linux.

Macbook pro? - Many recommendations from less tech savvy friends....
Thinkpad X250? T4XX?

Looking to put i5/8GB RAM/256SSD.

Budget around $2k Aussie funbux. Thoughts?
>>
>>51855639
Looks like the Asus G75W line is one of your only options currently, Dual HDD bay is slim pickins.
>>
So lately I've been having problems with using Mumble.
At first I couldn't backspace or copy and paste using keyboard shortcuts, I would have to manually highlight and right click. And now for some reason my numlock is causing it to mute/deafen when it's not my active window, even when I only have the "pause" button on my keyboard set for that. I've reinstalled drivers for the keyboard, restarted my PC, uninstalled mumble, deleted the regs, and reinstalled, and it's all still happening. It's only on Mumble too, so it's not my keyboard doing it.
>>
Do you guys prefer Opera Mini or regular on high end android devices? And what if I have bandwidth restrictions?
>>
I have a GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 motherboard and a need for mass storage.
The board has 10 USB ports and 6 sata ports. I have 9 drives.
When I tried to run 6 through internal SATA I believe I had killed one of the ports. The bios was reporting "bzbzbzbzbz" nonsense for the drive name.
So I put three of those internal drives into external enclosures and attached the via usb. A total of 9/10 USB ports were in use. This resulted in all USB devices failing including the mouse and keyboard. Unplugging some of these solved the issue.
What the fuck? is there a power limitaion? is my motherboard dying? I paid a lot extra for all of these connectivity options.
I used a power supply calculator and apparently I have near 100W to spare.
>>
Pls does anyone have this meme pic with "I want to be a x so I study x" "lol 140k engineering, stem rulez.."
>>
Can anyone recommend me a good cross-platform podcast app? AntennaPod is pretty great on Android, but ideally there would be a similar program that could sync between my phone and desktop. I'm running Windows.
>>
>>51855758
Secondhand thinkpad x series
>>
File: problem.jpg (641 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
problem.jpg
641 KB, 1920x1080
I just downloaded this and AVIsynth seems to be crashing for some reason. Does anyone know how to fix this please?
>>
>>51856200
>jpg
>>
recommend any good "gaming" hardware that isn't edgy as fuck? I want a gaming mouse for high dpi etc but I fucking hate the designs that have neon lights and spiky logos with fucking veins down the side.
>>
>>51856200
>utorrent
stop using malware riddled software buddy
>>
>>51856247
Post an example of ones that you don't like. I have the DeathAdder and I really like it, but if you don't like that SteelSeries usually has more minimal designs.
>>
File: image.jpg (267 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267 KB, 1500x1500
>>51856258
I was thinking of a deathadder but I'd prefer it if it didn't have the razor logo.
>>
>>51856283

every time I see that mouse I literally can't believe that's a real product that people buy
>>
>>51856283
the fuck, how is that thing even remotely comfortable
>>
>>51856283
The DeathAdder's LED can be turned off, but if you're still not a fan, check out the g502, and if that's too MLG for you try the SteelSeries Sensei.
>>
>>51856301
It's not much more or less comfortable than the average mouse, worse than a lot of the mid and low range ones in my opinion, but pretty much every open part on that one is somewhere that you never touch anyway, less you should happen to be some form of Frankenstein's creation.
>>
>>51856301
Not him, but I received one as a gift from a coworker.
It isn't at all. It might be better if you use a claw grip, but it just feels awful if you palm your mouse.
>>
>>51856219
>>51856248
Id appreciate if you could help me though
>>
Two questions:

1. While trying to get to an old IDE hard drive in my ancient prebuilt, I cut (I didn't care destroying the case, and just wanted to get the hard drive) the rubber (?) casing off, thinking that it might have been holding it in place (I was wrong; the reason why it was stuck was because I had to take the front panel off and remove the hard drive from that direction; they really made that a pain in the ass). There aren't any types of hard drives that would become dangerous without a rubber casing, right?

2. Would I be wasting my time trying to get this thing working on my very modern gaming rig, with its SATA connections?
>>
>>51856327
maybe you should follow what it says there on the error. open an issue on their bug tracker.
>>
>>51856355

Nevermind, I found my answer.

I need to run over to Fry's Electronics tomorrow and hope that they have an external hard drive enclosure kit.
>>
is zooper pro worth $3?
>>
Hey guys I fucked up and can't find the clover alpha anymore
Anyone got a link?
>>
>>51853378
Clonezilla. Use it, love it.
>>
>>51853341
What are the best websites/programs to read manga at?
>>
>>51856946
The scantalator's website. If you can't find their website, use Batoto. Everyone else horribly compresses them or puts watermarks on the image, usually both.
>>
>>51856961
>The scantalator's website. If you can't find their website
I am looking for the One Punch Man Scanlators, but batoto doesn't say any of them and the manga is not there to read due to copyright
>>
chromium plays 1080p without a problem on my old-ish laptop but firefox lags bad and takes cpu to 100%. what do?
>>
>>51857006
Your next best bet would be using KissManga, though they compress the images. Not nearly as terrible as some other websites, though.
>>
>>51857044
Why are you using a web browser to play videos? That's what video players are for.
>>
What are the best 4chan addon/extensions?
>>
>>51857068
4Chan X
>>51857049
Doesn't have it as well, guess I'll just use mangatown for now.
>>
>>51853341
I run lstb and ran debloat,but I still get search has used my network wdf I thought tuning script plus telemetry removed the botnet
>>
>>51857068
>>51857074
Specifically ccd0's 4chan X

>>51857006
Are the videos you are watching in an HTML5 Based player (Youtube, mostly) or flash based player?
>>
>>51857074
What? I verified that KissManga had it before I recommended it.
>>
>>51857139
Images didn't load for me.
>>
2nd hand i5 4590 with 3-4 months use and 3 year warranty remaining. Good deal?
>>
>>51857142
It's in the terrible fucking manhua style by default, but didn't load at all? What browser/extensions are you using?
>>
>>51857144
You forgot the price, anon. It seems fine though, not a ton can go wrong with a CPU if it isn't already broken.
>>
>>51857144
Oi, forgot: 150 euro price!
>>
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LHRTO5W

am i going to regret buying a $65 mouse? i just want something reliable and precise. no gaymurr macro button LED trash needed. i'm really sick of shitty $15 walmart mice that skip movements and wear out in 6 months.

>>51857164
yes
>>
Do Legacy OPROM settings have any kind of effect on performance?
>>
GTX 950 vs R7 370?
>>
File: specs.png (34 KB, 731x459) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
34 KB, 731x459
I'm having an issue with my computer
Whenever i turn my computer on The CPU either goes super hot at like 75 degrees ºC or goes to normal temps as shown in the picture.
I cleaned the cpu and changed thermal paste already but it seems to be doing nothing,
I have a closed water cooling from coolermaster and my PSU is a CX750M

What could be the problem here?
>>
What's the website that lets you make a static copy of a website page? people on /v/ sometimes post links to kotaku articles but they don't link it directly to the actual website.
>>
underachiever
>>
File: panic.jpg (10 KB, 192x279) Image search: [Google]
panic.jpg
10 KB, 192x279
Getting a R9 390 this week? Which brand do I choose? Any 3 fan one?

Help please ;_;
>>
>>51857668
i got the gigabyte because of its small size (itx case) and i'm satisfied, though i haven't tried playing any hyper-graphics meme games on it because those games are all terrible.

i hear msi has best cooling for two fans, sapphire for three.
>>
>>51857668
sapphire u idiot
>>
>>51855560
Gonna bump this before I go to bed incase anyone wants to answer
>>
What are "sockets" in programming?
>>
Are there any DisplayPort (or HDMI) to VGA converters that can output more than 1600x1200 at 60Hz?
>>
>>51857726
Socket Programming: Sockets provide the communication mechanism between two computers using TCP. A client program creates a socket on its end of the communication and attempts to connect that socket to a server.

Did you study the OSI model to networking?
>>
>>51857823
No I didn't. This is awesome explanation and short. So basically any programming language that let you write sockets can be used for server-side stuff?
Or maybe I didn't understand that well , do you write sockets or they are already in there , pre built by language creators so you don't have to? Sockets are basically on low level because they control network card and data flow?
>>
Getting a new phone soon(Moto X Pure 2015) and want to know if I can set up an SD card in advance. I have over 16 gigs of music but my comp is rather slow so i was thinking I could or should buy the sd card now and set it up in advance. But to do this would I need to format the card in a different android phone or can i just pop it in and use it without wiping the music when i get my phone?
>>
>>51857871
You shouldn't have to write any function to implement sockets. You language should already have socket functions for you to use.
>>
>>51853923
Java because java
>>
>>51854001
You autistic anon? Learn to read
>>
Is the Asus PB287Q any good?
>>
File: 1448848436662.jpg (88 KB, 635x648) Image search: [Google]
1448848436662.jpg
88 KB, 635x648
I have a 2 semester capstone class starting in January. The course involves a team of 4-5 students doing some group project. 90% of groups do some webapp, but I'm pushing for something more low-level/systems programming. Any ideas that of what a team of seniors could reasonably complete?

I was thinking perhaps implement a filesystem or a custom shell.
>>
What's a good network modelling and simulation program? I need something that can export a finished topology as a diagram so I can embed it into various document file formats.
>>
>>51858456
fix the x86 arch backdoor

hows that for a low level Neo?
>>
I'll be taking both parts of intro to comp sci at the same time.
how screwed am I for the second part?
what do I need to know for the second part to be ok?
[spoiler]i know absolutely nothing[/spoiler]
>>
Anyone know what's the best offline GPS app for android?
>>
>>51858541
-syntax of whatever language you're learning(be able to read code, identify bugs, understand what's happening)
-general best-practices for writing code
-basic data-structures(lists, stuctures, enums)
-basic algorithms (looping, sorting, searching)
>>
I want to use a web browser to stream an enormous amount of video every day. How can I install a web browser to an HDD in a way that it won't constantly write to the SSD boot drive? I tried installing Chrome to the HDD, but HWinfo still showed high reads and writes on the SSD.
>>
>>51858643
you will need to move your TEMP folder to the hdd
>>
File: 6751524_f260.jpg (9 KB, 260x209) Image search: [Google]
6751524_f260.jpg
9 KB, 260x209
I'm an old man now and i cannot catch up with tech anymore. Can someone explain me like i'm fifty why Android phones become slower than my wife on a bike after several months ? My iPhone 4 never did that if you don't upgrade IOS with your pc. This little droid fucker is doing always software upgrades in my back. Every 4 months i have to perform a hard reboot, so it become again factory's fast.

Are Android for youngs folks who have the time to tweak their phone or their is a simple trick i'm not aware of ? I tried to disable upgrades but some big ones are still installed.

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: 1403698090604.jpg (338 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1403698090604.jpg
338 KB, 2560x1440
Hi, where can I find the cbt nuggets ccna videos ? torrent or something...
>>
is it a dumb idea to pirate microsoft office with windows 10?

is it a dumb idea to pirate microsoft office in the first place? could it just be an elaborate keylogger? are the activators sketchy?

if i purchase a key from microsoftsoftwareswap on reddit would i be able to re enter that key on a fresh install of windows if i ever have to reformat?

thanks

and libre office is shit ty
>>
4chanx changed something where if I'm hovering and click on a reply, it goes to the reply in the thread instead of expanding it right there. How do I get the old behavior?
>>
>>51858868
yes
yes
yes
yes
no
>>
>>51858870
install the superior appchan x
>>
>>51858870
check quote or inline quote settings
>>
>>51858915
I have the exact same version on my laptop and it doesn't do it
>>
>>51858937
Okay it was "inline cross-thread quotes only" that was checked and should be off
>>
>>51858868
pirate the 2007 version.

There's no major feature since, and it's the easiest version to pirate.
>>
File: calm, cute little girl..png (118 KB, 327x333) Image search: [Google]
calm, cute little girl..png
118 KB, 327x333
I'm getting absolutely no sound on Linux with the innate soundcard for the Intel DZ77SL-50K motherboard.
This problem has been going on for six months, and I can't figure this shit out.
Help me end this misery, /g/entlemen.
Please.
>>
I'm building a new pc but I don't have any money for windows. Should I pirate 7 or is it not safe?
>>
>>51859272
it's not safe
>>
>>51858557
check CoPilot.
>>
>>51858393
Yes. 144hz is the fashion today tho.
>>
So, how much an improvemant is i5-5200u+amd R5 m330 over i3-5005u+intel hd 5500 (integral) for running old games (mass effect 3, dragon age 2, eve online) both have 4 gb ram
>>
>>51859272
It's always a good idea to pay for Windows, but stay away from 10. Get 7 or 8 + Classic Shell. There are cheap keys on le Reddit.

If you dont want to, then get Windows 7 SP1 + all updates and then pirate it. Get a good free AV like Avast!.

And of fucking course install Gentoo or a user friendly GNULinux distro (ubuntu MATE recommended).
>>
What's a good place that sells 2nd hand laptops?
Preferably ships to the entire country.

Poorfag here, in need of one after my current one broke. I'm using my smartphone now.
>>
2 stupid questions:

What do people plug into the second ethernet port on their motherboards? (home network)

What can you use the second ethernet port on a NAS for? (also, home usage)
>>
File: 1423435390805.jpg (34 KB, 500x433) Image search: [Google]
1423435390805.jpg
34 KB, 500x433
I've got the following leftover from a PC upgrade:
>i5 750, HD 5850
Will this make a decent HTPC?
>>
>>51859720
network teaming. a teamed network connection can share the data load, or provide fault tolerance
>>
Let's say you have code that tries something randomly and when it works the probability of doing that again rises.

Is that Reinforcement learning? If not the what is it?
>>
>>51859368
>good free AV like Avast!
But Avast sells your information. Why would you tell someone to stay away from Windows 10 then immediately recommend something almost as bad?
>>
>>51859802
Isn't the speed limited by your hdd write speed anyways when talking about NAS? Disregarding ssd.

>fault tolerance
In case one port breaks? Makes sense but is it worth to pay the premium for those 2 ethernet ports? What kind of performance increase can you expect from it?
>>
>>51859843
Sounds kind-of like a reverse exponential backoff, except random

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_backoff
>>
How customizable is windows 10 desktop?
>>
>>51859881
Depends on what you consider to be customizable. It can do everything Windows 7 could do.
>>
>>51859258
Try 'alsactl init' and post results.
>>
>>51859272
pirate its ez

just install, run daz loader, reboot, done
>>
>>51859919
Okay that is what I wanted to know. Thank you.
>>
>>51859865
Not quite.

Imagine playing a weighted dice. Let's say the dice is weighted on the 6.
First time you choose randomly between 1 .. 6. Each time you guess the dice correctly the probability of picking that number increases. Eventually you'll pick 6 most of the time.

What kind of learning is that?
>>
>>51859802
Does the teaming go into effect as soon as you plug both cables in, or is there some software that needs to be configured for this?
>>
>>51859926

Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Nvidia GPU 42 HDMI/DP" "HDA:10de0042,10b00fc6,00100100" "0x10b0" "0x0fc6"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method

What do I do next?
>>
For the past few weeks I've noticed my torrent download speeds have become sporadic, not being able to maintain any stability. The speeds go up and fall back down constantly even when not doing anything else on the internet.
Not only that but browsing the internet in any capacity (opening images, browsing 4chan, watching videos) tanks my down speeds into the double or single kbps digits. My internet speeds have been fine on speedtest and everything else seems normal.
I don't remember making any changes that would effect something like this but it suddenly started occurring a little over 3 weeks ago. I mainly use Deluge but tried qbittorrent and the problems sill happen.

Please help?
>>
Can anyone recommend a USB header that I can plug straight into the motherboard? I'm trying to do a mini gaming build for my cousin, and I'd like to throw a steam controller dongle inside the case, rather than have it plugged in outside.
>>
>>51853416
>
Brah, you need to put that shit inside of scope. It's kinda just floatin' willy nilly
>>
Anyone know how to parse non-option arguments with gnu argp? I've been pouring my head up and down over the documentation and I really don't wan't to parse it on my own since i'm pretty sure argp should handle it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.