[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
REMEMBER: For those of you contemplating future careers, sc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Network.jpg (168 KB, 1150x500) Image search: [Google]
Network.jpg
168 KB, 1150x500
REMEMBER:

For those of you contemplating future careers, school, etc. that Computer Science, Programming, and related fields are not the only choice.

Check out the Networking Systems programs at your local community college.

In 2 years (1 and a half if you go to summer semester) you can get what is essentially a trade, a valuable life skill, an Associates Degree and the ability to transfer to a 4 year college seamlessly in almost all cases (with direct-connect programs).

Yes I am being a bit of an un-paid shill I suppose but really, consider it. Especially for older folks maybe looking for a career change; or high-school kids that don't have the finest grades but love technology, etc.

Here are some example curricula:

http://catalog.valenciacollege.edu/degrees/associateinscience/engineeringtechnology/networkengineeringtechnology/#programrequirementstext

(no I don't go to Valencia, it just is a good layout to show examples of courses)

As you can see there are different paths, some of which literally end in capstone projects centred around collegiate CTF competitions for those interested in hacking/pen-testing.

Obviously some folks on /g/ will talk shit about this idea of course, but that goes without saying.

Also yes of course you can teach yourself a lot of this on your own, but that goes with almost everything. This is for people that are considering school and want a degree or two.
>>
i have CCNA done and shit and am in elec engineering at uni, the hell do i do after ccna? networking seems a lot more fun than el. engi, but wat do
>>
>>51738354
Oh god, please spread this! The number of useless programmers out there who only ever went for CS because they "want to do something with computers" is maddening. As an actually good programmer, the seas of morons have turned getting a job from a phone call and an interview into a multi-month long shitfest.

If you like computers, go into IT. Don't waste your time and money failing at software engineering.
>>
>>51738469

What sort of stuff do you want to do? CCNA type stuff, or do you have other interests?

For example I am interested in penetration testing but of course that is a niche that is hard to break into so my current path is:

CCNA and work as a network admin or something similar while I continue my independent studies and training, and then OSCP (in my opinion one of the only certification worth caring about if you aren't an HR representative. But, we all understand we have to 'play the game' with certs to get our foot in the door most of the time).

Of course there are much more knowledgeable people on this board then me when it comes to answering your question; but I think it's important to know what your goals are so you can go down the right path to get there.

But, Elec. Engineering sure sounds neat to me. Having an Elec. Engineering degree and CCNA will make finding jobs not very difficult I imagine?
>>
>>51738561
Fucking this. I thought I had to be some fizzbuzzin math faggot to do 'pooters. Much happier in infosec. Scripting is a fun thing for me to learn, pure coding not so much.
>>
>>51738354
>telling people to become an IT slave because it's better than being a code monkey
what a meme
>>
>>51738663
i'd like to do anything with networking to be honest, no matter what it is, i think i'd like it.

i don't really have any goals, that died a while ago, so i'm going with the next best thing. which is... either networking or elec engineering.

i'm told so, but i'm not very optimistic about it. don't really know for sure, but it's not looking too good out there, engineering or not.
>>
>>51738707

I don't think I said anything was 'better' then anything else.
>>
>>51738354
Yes please, it's hard as hell to hire sysadmins who aren't pants on head retarded.

There's a surprisingly high number of CS grads who are competent in Java and literally nothing else- no other languages, no OS/networking stuff of any sort that's not dealt with exclusively through Java abstraction. It's really depressing.
>>
Can you get a job with just an associates or do you have to transfer to get anywhere?

I already have a bachelors and I don't want to spend another 4 years in school.
>>
Studying this in a community college and I'm aiming to join a university in the coming fall. They might even let me skip first year XD
>>
IT is misery minus the few niche positions that are filled with experts that have amassed a professional reputation going far beyond shitty certs (protip: that's not you, the community college dropout with some Cisco router monkey certs)
It's more saturated with cheap labor than CS currently is.
The IT workforce is treated as dispensable because minus those few specialized well paying positions there's always a line out the door of cert monkeys
>>
>>51738809

in infosec/IT/Networking you can get a job with NO degree if you are skilled enough, and can show that.

Sometimes certs are the way to show you have the skills to the HR people so you can get your foot in the door.

But there are literally websites set up in the fashion of CTF competitions that are used to recruit skilled hackers for infosec.

For example:

https://www.praetorian.com/challenges/pwnable/
http://rtncyberjobs.com/
http://0x41414141.com/

Also people go to, for example, Defcon to hire people that exhibit there skills. I mean look at this for example:

The freaking NSA has an entire section of their website dedicated to explaining they GO TO DEFCON to looking to hire people and that IT IS OKAY if they have committed crime sin the past

https://www.nsa.gov/careers/dc20/
>>
>>51738809
>Can you get a job with just an associates
Yes, if you have niche skills that go beyond CCNA/etc garbage that loads of idiots have. For example, if someone came to me and demonstrated advanced competency in BSD system administration and had no major problems, I'd do my best to have them hired on the spot.
>>
>>51738739
Knowing only one language is no problem if you can apply the same principles in another language. Also, Computer Science is often used as a drop-in replacement for a Software Engineering degree by many schools so a certain group of Computer Science students are targeting software development.

>>51738809
What degree do you have a bechelors in?
>>
>>51738864
>>51738898
Ah, thanks.

I'm scheduled to get my A+ soon. It's pretty easy so far. I'll keep my options open.

>>51738934
Biology. It's proven near useless to me so far and I don't even want to work in the field anymore so I'm trying to get into something more practical that I have an aptitude for.
>>
>>51738934
>Knowing only one language is no problem if you can apply the same principles in another language.
That's very true, but the sort of CS grads that I see a lot of that I'm complaining about have basically been taught to memorize Java boilerplate and apply it in slightly different ways. They frequently have little to no actual programming skills.

Language knowledge aside, knowing basically nothing about any of the non-programming components of a professional software development environment is a big problem. Even if a subset of people with umbrella-style CS degrees are intending to focus solely on software dev, not knowing shit like the basics of version control is a massive liability.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.