[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what really happened?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: TrueCrypt_logo.png (8 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
TrueCrypt_logo.png
8 KB, 256x256
So what really happened?
>>
>>44844811
Got compromised.
Devs quit.
Now being shilled on /g/.
>>
>>44844811
>WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

This page exists only to help migrate existing data encrypted by TrueCrypt.

The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP. Windows 8/7/Vista and later offer integrated support for encrypted disks and virtual disk images. Such integrated support is also available on other platforms (click here for more information). You should migrate any data encrypted by TrueCrypt to encrypted disks or virtual disk images supported on your platform.
>>
>>44844811
NSA backdoor implemented
>>
>>44844818
obviously someone who knows exactly whats going on and can doesn't feel the need to Google right here.
>>
>>44844811
No-one knows.
>>
>>44844818
>Got compromised.
>Now being shilled on /g/.
hurrrrrrrr
>>
A NSL probably.

passed a preliminary security audit
>>
>>44844811
Audit is finished, discovered that TrueCrypt is secure enough and doesn't have backdoors that the NSA can covertly exploit (the way they did Heartbleed etc), NSA finds out

Go to TrueCrypt devs, issue gag order, demand backdoor or face the wrath of the USG

TrueCrypt devs are forced to implement backdoor but are able to change the website to something obviously "off" (recommending BitLocker) as a type of warrant canary

This is what seems most likely to
>>
>>44844884
This would be my guess, too.
>>
>>44844884
Only first phase of the audit was finished.

Peeps that arranged for the audit and organized the fundraising for it are now working on a FOSS replacement for TrueCrypt. IIRC, an EFF attorney is involved in the board for it as well.

There was a presentation on this at Defcon this year. Not sure if vid has been posted yet.
>>
>>44844884
more like
>nsa tells truecrypt how terribly insecure their encryption is
>in shame truecrypt links out to a superior alternative
>>
>>44844938
This

For the longest time it's been common knowledge how to detect if a secondary "hidden" partition existed within the block. In fact I know of three separate court cases where this paper was cited.

If your system is so insecure you can't hide a partition because of a fucking "hiccup" in entropy then you dun fucked up.
>>
File: blog_nsa_logo.jpg (69 KB, 262x280) Image search: [Google]
blog_nsa_logo.jpg
69 KB, 262x280
>>44844818
> Now being shilled on /g/.
By whom I wonder...
>>
>>44844818
Compromised as in:

A. The software has a weakness
B. The developers got NSL'd and decided to shut it down
>>
>>44844825
>The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP.

Thats what gets me every time.

One has nothing to do with the other.. So what if Microsoft doesnt support XP anymore?
>>
>So what really happened?
Dev got a gf.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.