[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I fuck up, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
>gf orders launch 60GB PS3 three months ago from Newegg marketplace
>PS3 arrives with broken controller, video cuts off at random times, and console shuts off less than a minute after boot
>No refunds, only warranty of labor and parts
>Get it returned for her, it comes back with a different video cable, a new controller, and a new PSU
>all is fine other than the occasional crash after it's been on for a long time (Not often)
>five weeks later
>yellow light of death
>I manually replace the paste
>still isn't booting, but is not damaged any more than it was

I could do a reflow on the board, but it seems like it would just need done again within two months. I do not have the machinery in order to reball it, and paying someone to do it would cost as much or more than a new system.

The warranty label was gone from the PS3 when I opened it, and the only thing that is different is that I changed the thermal paste. If I return the unit (It is still within parts/labor warranty, will they repair it, or refuse to because I operated on the board?

It would be optimal for the unit to be switched out with a different one, because repairs on these units are said to not be worth it in comparison to buying a new unit. The only issue is that I'm not sure if Newegg will supply one, despite the fact that it died of natural causes due to the fact that I worked on it.

Would you guys suggest that I take it apart and make it look like the old (almost none left) thermal paste was on it, or do I tell them the truth?
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>55596028
I'm not quite sure how that would help the PS3, but I don't think it's quite possible unless I can actually get the system to power on for longer than a single second.
>>
I had 2 original models die within a week of each other.

Don't waste your time trying to reflow unless you want to completely redesign the cooling system while you're at it. "Reflowing" does not actually reflow shit. Applying heat to the chip simply temporarily fixes it. Using the console with its 80c temps will kill it again.

Since the warranty label was already gone just keep your stupid mouth shut. There is a good chance that piece of shit already had a ylod and they "fixed" it.

I assume you got that model because hardware B/C. It's just not worth it. Switch to a slim (not super slim) and mod it.

If you absolutely can't get it refunded just send it back to them to "repair" and enjoy it dying in a week.
>>
>>55595992
MAN, don't buy the old fat ps3 ever.

Always go for the super slim now since it's the newest. The fat's are all on their way out, the original slims are more likely to have a problem.

You can still get brand new super slims for quite cheap.

I don't know if I'd want to buy a PS3 again these days though. New Dualshock 3's have dropped significantly in quality, I think Sony has cheaped out on the materials and general build quality. Nothing fits together right, the seams aren't smooth and together properly, they always come with squeaky as fuck buttons, sometimes a fucked up analog, the worst part is most come with l1/r1's that depress too much and make your fingers raw after five minutes of using them.

Then they have the audacity to continue asking for 40 bux for garbage quality controllers
>>
>>55595992
>I could do a reflow on the board, but it seems like it would just need done again within two months. I do not have the machinery in order to reball it
You don't have the machinery to reflow it either and likely reflowing won't even fix the problem.
What you need to do is buy a fucking new PS3, seeing they are cheap, have warranties and probably won't be dead.
>>
>>55596184
They likely did fuck her over in that sense.

Do slims overheat? Do you think they will check inside the system and look at the thermal paste?

>>55596291
My fat which I gave to my nephew still works, however, it is not the launch fat, which she has been using. If I could get my old PS3 back, I definitely would. The only issue that I had with it is that I know people who use the slims to have heat issues, but I do not know how true this is.

>>55596311
This will be likely, but I don't want the recent purchase to be entirely in vein.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.