[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a bit of free time on my hands and I've decided that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: HlrjH3c.jpg (226 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
HlrjH3c.jpg
226 KB, 900x1350
I have a bit of free time on my hands and I've decided that I want to get into programming, is Java a good language to start with ? And where can I learn It?
>>
SEMEN
>>
>>55534914
Java is good if you want to make android apps and type until your fingers bleed
C++ is good if you don't want to have fun, and truly believe in "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
Javascript is good if you want to make web applications, and get object oriented cancer in return
Python is good if you don't really want to learn how to program
C# is good if you want to make dekstop apps. You even get to choose between having a GUI and shooting yourself
inb4 "your opinion is shit fag"

Thing is about first language, it doesn't matter, since there's a difference between learning a language and learning programming. Learning a language is easy, learning to program is hard, but once you know how to program you'll be able to easily pick up whatever language you need.

I personally like java, so I'm gonna tell you to just roll with java.
>>
>a good language to start with
Start with whatever applies best to your interests. What do you want to program? If you're just doing it for academic purposes then Java is perfectly fine. It's pretty simple and one of the most widely used languages. Start here. https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/TOC.html
>>
>>55534914
i'll answer your questions if you tell us who the girl is
>>
>>55535136
this is all true OP. any imperative language is fine for a first language.

i agree with >>55535136 that java is a good start. it is well structured, fast, has lots of built in features for threading, networking and GUI and doesn't overload you with memory management and such.

Then if you enjoy working with java you can move onto C++ or something with some more control if you need it.

another option is c# which is basically MSJava. it is best on windows but it is possible to use on linux and os x.

oh yeah with java you have javafx which is pretty nice as well. i think it is nice to work with and runs really well.
>>
Follow a course. The language doesn't matter that much. Remember to stick with whatever you pick.

Thee sources might be helpful:
http://programming-motherfucker.com
https://thenewboston.com/videos.php
https://www.codecademy.com

Copy and paste this pasta
>>
I'm biased, but Oracle's attitude with Java and the Android thing means that by the time you've learnt Java and all its bad habits, I think it will be less relevant. It's prevalent in business logic only because of the legion that were trained on it in university, but nearly all of them are awful and it's actually a dreadful language for beginners with the heaviest middleware stack around.

Really the answer depends on what you want to do. For your first language, today, I advocate Python, a modern equivalent to BASIC, or Lua, a scripting language frequently embedded in things like web servers, games, etc.

Once you learn one language, diversify. They get easier as you learn the principles common to all of a group of languages (functional, object-oriented, etc). That will help you keep up, because technology doesn't stop so neither should you.

Mobile apps? Swift and, for now, Java.

Websites? JavaScript, the markup language HTML and declarative style language CSS that user-agents use to render webpages, and a backend of your choice, trying to stay clear of the hip trendy ones that will be outmoded in 2 years. Maybe PHP (it's awful but omnipresent), or leverage the JavaScript on the server with Node.JS.

Client stuff? Good old C++.

Want to learn more about how computers actually do this? Assembly language. If nothing else it'll make you appreciate all the high level abstractions, and when they can occasionally get in the way.

Old rusty banks? COBOL.

Want something to change the way you think about programming? LISP.

Want something completely different? Haskell.
>>
>>55534914
If you can program in C++, JavaScript and python, you are very well covered.
New programmers should start with assembly just to learn how things work, some people claim you don't need to know that.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.