[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi codelords of /g/, i am an agriculture professional, i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
Hi codelords of /g/, i am an agriculture professional, i'm an agronomist, agriculture is changing like everything else in the world and i need to prepare for it, in the future there will be a need of programmers in my area of knowledge and i want to be ready for changes, so i began to learn programming, i began with some courses of Java suchs as codeweavers,in your experience, can you give some advice on how to learn? do i begin with plain theory, i take some small project?, moar online courses? you advice will be greatly apreciated. thanks
pic not related
>>
So what are you preparing for? And why do you need programming?
>>
>>55440976
There's an incresingly big use of satellital images or drone use or data interpretation from different types of sensors in the machinery, for example we are currently using drone images de calculate wheter we need to apply growth regulators on cotton, or performaces maps from the harvesters, those are then used the calculate the seed density in the seeders wich varies according to the map,as an example. I believe the use of these kind of technologies will be bigger and bigger and i feel the need to be able to control these precesses will be a great asset in the close future
>>
free bump
>>
just look up "learn java tutorial"

a site called sololearn has a pretty good course for it

java is prob your best bet, one of the easier languages for beginners and it's also pretty good for image processing / quite portable
>>
>>55441286
>Hi codelords of /g/, i am an agriculture professional, i'm an agronomist, agriculture is changing like everything else in the world and i need to prepare for it, in the future there will be a need of programmers in my area of knowledge and i want to be ready for changes, so i began to learn programming, i began with some courses of Java suchs as codeweavers,in your experience, can you give some advice on how to learn? do i begin with plain theory, i take some small project?, moar online courses? you advice will be greatly apreciated. thanks
>pic not related
>>55441274
Thanks guys
>>
File: 1444528750462.png (378 KB, 1450x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444528750462.png
378 KB, 1450x1080
java has pretty good docs/tutorials at https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ but as far as what you should learn, theory is very much optional for most things (outside of things that rely on math like custom sorting algorithms and the like) and if you're reasonably competent you'll be able to get by without necessarily knowing it at a higher education level if you put the effort into learning it but again I have to stress for most things it won't be necessarily

most of learning to program is trial and error, finding something you want to make, learning how it works, and then implementing it, once you get the gist of programming a lot of the skills will translate over language and you'll be able to pick them and newer concepts up a bit better but you just need to put the legwork in and do practical programming projects until you get the gist of what to do, from there you can start using resources like smaller/medium size github projects to work out how a larger project might work and from there you'll know enough to know what you want or need to learn to be able to figure it out on your own

attached is a list of /g/ programming projects that range in difficulty and are pretty comprehensive in the subjects that they cover that you should be able to find something to do, what I did when I was starting up was write simple bots/clients for messaging protocols (I used irc), there's literally thousands of simple 'skeleton' projects that are minimal on code that are easily understood and adaptable but there weren't nearly as many resources as there are now for things to do

as a final note, java is a decent language to start with but it's very verbose and you'll be writing a lot of boilerplate code, it might be useful to learn a simpler scripting language alongside java (such as ruby/python etc) to see the easier sides of programming

ps I hope you're using intellijidea community edition or another decent IDE for java, it's mostly cheating but who cares
>>
File: 1464820189262.png (21 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1464820189262.png
21 KB, 640x640
>>55440953
Don't you mean "chodelords"?
>>
>>55441366
thanks a lot
>>
Glad you're getting out of agriculture, it's the cancer that is killing our planet.
>>
>>55441044
Oh I'm aware of this, but how are you planning to use programming to accomplish this task?

The only task I could think about that requires ample programming knowledge would be using machine learning to group unwanted weeds in the fields and that kind of stuff.

You can do all you're talking about with basic GIS knowledge and software.

Btw I collect multispectral imagery too and do precision farming work with UAVs, and own a startup.

>>55441526
Precision farming is oriented towards saving resources and putting less of a strain on the soil.
>>
>>55441547
aeroponics are going to blast you all in the ass
Modern agriculture causes 70% of freshwater pollution and also uses about 70% of all water used.

Aeroponic grow operations use something like 95% less water lol
>>
>>55441526
I am not getting out, there's being a revolution in agriculture i want to keep up with new technologies, the world needs food and clothes, we all depend on agriculture. We need to be better at it
>>
>>55441547
that's very interesting, i actually don¿t know the particular use, but knowledge is never bad.
>>55441576
Aeroponic is the future for urban growing ando some other high value crops, such as vegetables, for more extensive crops such as soy, beans, cotton, etc it is not a convenient choice IMO
>>
>>55441576
Irrigation planning is just one thing out of many that you can accomplish with UAV/Satellite imagery. By far most people solicit NVDI stress maps, and those are used to detect plagues and plan fertilization based on the health of your crops.
>>
>>55441526
You and people like you are the cancer killing this planet. End yourself.
>>
>>55441642
One issue I've thought about is the fact that satellites are getting smaller and they carry better payloads as time goes by, it would not be wise not to put all the eggs in one basket (uavs). But some tasks can only be accomplished with really high resolution imagery (<3cm/pix).

Have you worked on plant counting? I've been working on it using feature extraction software but I can only count plants which are not touching each other.
>>
I'm working with somewhat related things in academia (meteorology, precipitation, groundwater, hydrogeology), and we are doing a lot of analysis in python (precip mapping, drought indices...), and there are a lot of good librariers for data analysis out there. Could be worth checking out.
>>
>>55441672
>sent from my iphone
kek look at this save the planeteer
>>
>>55440953
Hey you fucking faggot. You posted this same thread in /b/ and your Argentinian. Fuck off.
>>
So /g/, how long until everybody and their mother starts freaking out and rushes to get into software development / programming?
>>
File: I_wanna.jpg (27 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
I_wanna.jpg
27 KB, 321x322
>>55440953
>>
I have a really fun method for you: learn everything, EVERYTHING, from wikipedia. It's actually a fantastic resource for computer science. Software engineering has a fuckload of fads which come and go and are often sold as "best" or "clean" or "sensible" but those are just opinions veiled with the phrasing of fact. Those fads are all about being clean and reusable and managing projects and files. Your problems sound like computer science and it sounds like you actually want to engage and think. Wikipedia is fucking great for computer science. Every time you come across something, try to think about and and try to apply it awkwardly into something you're working on.

The only issue is credibility, at some point to convince someone you have talent you'll have to give a shiny CV, at every other point in convincing them you can just refer them to a portfolio of projects that you've been building and practicing your insight in and when they test you you'll actually know what you're doing or what the challenges are because you didn't follow a course, you became a thinking in the field of computing.

Anyway we're getting dangerously close to AI replacing most software engineering and it already replaces the more tedious parts of computer science. Just cautionary comment that you're unlikely to be useful as a coder but rather are likely to be useful as someone with insight into both computer science and another field.
>>
>>55440953
Don't fall for the hype dude. You don't really need to learn to code. Worst case scenario, you just hire someone to do it.

I swear, people keep trying to get everyone and their mother to learn to code. Coding is not reading and it's not basic math. Not everyone needs to learn it. Hell, most people don't need to learn it.
>>
>>55442108
Can you expand a bit on those libraries for data analysis?
>>
>>55441526
OP just said he trying to adapt to changed in agriculture, not get out. Farming these days involves a lot of technology so It makes sense why he wants to get familiar these skills.
>>
>>55442370
>implying it isn't already a meme subject
>>
>>55440953
You're working in agriculture, that means embedded.
Start with arduino, hook up more and more sensors, more and more ways to get stuff talking.
By the end, you'll know raw C.
>>
>>55442514
First thing that comes to mind is pandas
And then stuff like numpy an matplotlib for visalization an even some GIS like capabilities
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.