[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is KDE so ugly, slow, and shitty? I've tried to give
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: desktop.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Why is KDE so ugly, slow, and shitty?

I've tried to give it a chance so many times. With the advent of Plasma, which actually looks somewhat okay, I gave it another chance, and it was so fucking painfully slow.

I mean I know at this point with GNOME 3's retardation it isn't much better but seriously, what gives?
>>
>>55438394
You probably used a server OS like debian or any other one based on it. KDE is shit with non recent QT versions, and with recent i mean at least Qt5.6. The only other difference can be propetary graphic drivers, since they tend to fuck shit up beyond measure everytime the plumbing is changing.
Seriously, get free as in freedom gpu drivers and most "slow" woes will vanish since they are actually integrated into the ecosystem and make use of kernel features and i'm not talking about intel here because they do their own nonstandard shit too.
>>
>>55438394
>>55438452
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gnome-week-editorial&num=1

Sums it up for me.

>GNOME
>Everything developed together for consistency in UX/UI

>KDE
>Everything developed separately and then bundled together, resulting in a clusterfuck
>>
>>55438394
Not running a poorfag hardware oils a good solution. KDE isn't for poor plebs
>>
>>55438394
>Why is KDE so ugly,
It's not, and even less so, if you keep using the clear and easy to understand Oxigen icons, built in.
>slow,
its not.
>and shitty?
Unfortunately, this is true.
Probably becuase the KDE devs are utter retards that rather work on inventing new shit no ones needs, instead of making their stable release since over a fucking year actually stable.

I really want to go back to KDE4, but only CentOS and slackware are shipping it, and both seem like quite a lot of work for a desktop system.
>>
>>55438756
>>>GNOME
>>Everything developed together for consistency in UX/UI
this is not a pro: https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
>>
File: 1436286852281.png (683 KB, 636x366) Image search: [Google]
1436286852281.png
683 KB, 636x366
>>55439092
It is.

Fresh screenfetch from yesterday.
>>
>>55438394
it's a lost cause anon. I like to pretend KDE doesn't exist
>>
>>55438452
>The only other difference can be propetary graphic drivers, since they tend to fuck shit up beyond measure everytime the plumbing is changing.
Not OP, but I have the opposite experience. I've tried KDE a few times over the last few years and the open source Nvidia drivers, for whatever reason, result in the entire system locking up 100% of the time after only a few minutes of booting.

I tried a live CD of Kubuntu the other day out of curiosity and it turns out this problem is still around. After several attempts at trying it out, it locked up every time within minutes so I just gave up.
>>
File: 1462461454715.jpg (180 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1462461454715.jpg
180 KB, 800x800
>mfw xfce+openbox+compton mustard race
>>
>>55441053
Why use Openbox over Xfwm4?
>>
I use antergos with kde on my dell inspiron 13 and it runs perfectly. Its never felt slow to me. Really loving it after coming from gnome.
>>
>>55439909
It is a pro: it results in a better UX because developers have clear goals and have an adhere to design-led development.

IgnorantGuru is a kook.
>>
>>55441024
That's understandable nvidia opensource is the worst you can get, it doesn't even get funding or support from nvidia.
I think the only good open gpu drivers nowadays are for amd and to an extent intel.
>>
>>55439874
>It's not, and even less so, if you keep using the clear and easy to understand Oxigen icons, built in.

Pretty icons and colors =! good UX
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.