[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /g/ - how do you plan out design for a non-trivial piece of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
So /g/ - how do you plan out design for a non-trivial piece of software?

Do you go full UML or just think of the basic pieces and dig in? I have scrapped a few projects because of what a terrible spaghetti mess they became.

I'm a girl btw
>>
At work we draw up a conceptual diagram that could be called similar to UML, on the whiteboard. Not like actually defining classes and members, just "we're going to write this piece of software, it will communicate with these other softwares with some XML that looks like x, it takes inputs from y, and it will store its data via mechanism z"

Then we just go write the C++ and see if it works.

>spaghetti mess
Avoiding this comes with experience and skill.

>I'm a girl btw

stfu and fuck off
>>
>>55296331

This sounds like 90% of software development. It's either waterfall or agile model based with UML style diagrams outlining components and data/code flow.
>>
>>55296047
Flowchart major logic. UI sketched in a notebook. Built core application, test, code review. Debug. Build error checking. Build UI. Code review.

Once item is solid, features are added and tested. It's slower than agile, but build master and gated check ins are the way to go imho.
>>
>>55297478
Can you suggest a book or something on testing. I can't test my own software for shit and the office says they can't afford to hire an onsite tester.
>>
>>55297385
WATERFALL HHHNNNNNGGGGG NOOOOOOOO
>>
>>55297490
Ask a friend or family member to try it and take notes. You'll learn just how broken it is...
>>
>>55296047

Didn't Karlie Kloss teach you this, coding girl?

For larger projects it helps to plan. The actually programming should be the shortest part of any project.
>>
File: scrum.png (2 MB, 4602x3232) Image search: [Google]
scrum.png
2 MB, 4602x3232
>>55296047
>>
>>55297490

>I can't test my own software for shit and the office says they can't afford to hire an onsite tester.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing
>>
>>55297385
The place I'm working for has tried agile development numerous times. But the client keeps on demanding new tickets take priority over the planned development. We've just decided to abandon all delusions of control and work on the planned tickets after the SUPER URGENT PRIORITY tickets get taken care of. It's hell, but it's all we can do given the circumstances.
>>
>>55297885
Agile isn't ideal for that model, but there are ways to make it work. Plan your sprints still and see how much work you get done each time. Use that information as an estimate for your next sprint.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.