[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: P4AnwLK.png (110 KB, 786x500) Image search: [Google]
P4AnwLK.png
110 KB, 786x500
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
>>51449331
Install Windows 10
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
>>51449345
Jamal pls go
>>
>>51449368
Install Windows 8.1
>>
>>51449331

>A minor inconvenience is a reason to switch to a platform that doesn't run any worthwhile desktop software
>>
>>51449331
9ga/g/
>>
UEFI is driving me up the wall.
Ubuntu refuses to install to my second drive despite doing the potato paritioning of / being the only partition.
>>
I'm trying to sort the output of last by the day of the month on which the user logged in, regardless of month. so I tried something like this
last | sort -n -k6,6

But some numbers are still out of order when I do that. What would be the correct command?
>>
Recently, I've been having audio problems with some steam games, where all audio is replaced by a staticy scratchy mess. The problem only occurs for a few games I have (Octodad, Absolute Drift, Geometry Wars are ones I have noticed/tested) but everything else (Web browser, music player, CS:GO, TF2, etc) still plays audio fine. Does anyone know how I could possibly fix this?

Extra info:
Archlinux using Pulseaudio.
I've only noticed it the last few days, but its mainly on games I don't play often so it may have been a problem for longer.
I've tried reseting the pulse settings by deleting ~/.config/pulse but that didn't fix it.
>>
>>51449714
Has there been a recent update to pulseaudio (or other sound-y stuff) on your system? Can you revert the packages and see if that fixes it.
>>
>>51449824
There were some alsa and pulse upgrades in the not too distant past. I tried rolling them back, but it didn't fix it.
>>
I am writting a script for a uni project but I have one problem.
I read links from a url.in file and then I open them in chromium/firefox but if I run the script in an other pc/vm the path of the file changes if I have it in a folder with the script and then my script can't find it.
What's the solution /g/ ?
>>
>>51450193
>What's the solution /g/ ?
-make sure the file is in a specific folder (like ~/.config/scriptname/filename)
-ask for the path (as an argument)
-Manage to find it yourself. If it has a specific name, it's not difficult, using find or locate.
If it's not a specific name but have a pattern like "url_something.txt" you can use a regex in find like that
find ~ -type f -iname "url_*.txt"
>>
File: POO_ON_ANTERGOS.png (586 KB, 1354x1246) Image search: [Google]
POO_ON_ANTERGOS.png
586 KB, 1354x1246
>>51449331
>LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)
Linux Mint is NOT ALSO KNOWN AS UBUNTU LTS + CINNAMON
Whoever made this to the wiki knows absolutely nothing about GNU/Linux and needs to die.
Bad choice of picture, OP

TL;DR = LINUX MINT != UBUNTU LTS+CINNAMON
CHANGE THIS
>>
>>51450521
who cares , both are shit
>>
>>51450521
You can change the wiki article, though. I'm just following it.
>>
>>51450539
I somewhat agree, but it still is a wrong info
>>51450540
It's cool, OP. Not your fault the install gentoo wiki is audited by a bunch of edgy clueless teenagers.
>>
File: The Official _g_ guide.png (62 KB, 803x714) Image search: [Google]
The Official _g_ guide.png
62 KB, 803x714
>>51449345
>>51449389
And you two are in the wrong thread
>>
>>51449590
you need to make a small partition for efi
>>
Is it tough to do elliptic curve crypto in Linux
>>
>>51450521
It is objectively based off Ubuntu and using the Cinnamon DE. What part of that info do you not like?

I hope you're not implying Linux Mint is better than something as simple as Ubuntu with Cinnamon.
>>
>>51450722
>Linux mint
>the cinnamon DE
>the
Linux mint comes with MATE, KDE and Xfce as well. FUCK it even has a debian based version. I don't like the part where the wiki is full of absolute shit
>I hope you're not implying Linux Mint is better than something as simple as Ubuntu with Cinnamon.
I hope you know how to follow a thread. Get back to >>51450564
>>
>>51450763
>Linux Mint comes with MATE, KDE and Xfce as well.

And no differences with Ubuntu MATE, Kubuntu and Xubuntu respectively.
>>
>>51450788
leave
>>
>>51450796
>mom i have no arguments left
>>
>>51450804
1. Linux mint is not the cinnamon only
2. Linux mint has differences with it's Ubuntu counterparts
3. When I told you to leave I wanted you to stop embarrassing yourself
>mom I can't read
>>
>>51450821
>1. Linux mint is not the cinnamon only
See >>51450788
2. Linux mint has differences with it's Ubuntu counterparts
What? The shitty puke-inducing green colors?
>>
>>51450854
Linux mint is not only Ubuntu LTS with Cinnamon DE. How do you fail to understand such a simple fact?
>the shitty puke-inducing green colors?
God you are new. I bet you think cinnamon only comes with green colors. When will you stop typing?
>>
>>51450887
just tell us what's different s we can sort this out please.
>>
>>51450900
I don't think I can explain this to a noob like you
>>
>>51450887
>Linux mint is not only Ubuntu LTS with Cinnamon DE. How do you fail to understand such a simple fact?
How do you fail to provide such a simple evidence?
>God you are new. I bet you think cinnamon only comes with green colors. When will you stop typing?
Mint's default color is...? And the puke-inducing color is...?
>>
>>51450907
I'm not even the same dude. i just want your stupid fight to stop and i want to know the difference because i am generally interested in it. so please, inform us.
>>
>>51450914
>How do you fail to provide such a simple evidence?
Go to their website and learn about LMDE
>Mint's default color is...? And the puke-inducing color is...?
>confusing a DE with Mint's default color

>>51450914
Alright, my bad. Here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/124135/difference-between-ubuntu-and-linux-mint
>>
>>51450925
see >>51450946
>>
>>51450946
>LMDE
>almost never touched

>Looking at the TL;DR
>In short, Linux Mint does uses exactly the same base as Ubuntu. In fact, if you check the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list, you will see that Mint uses the Ubuntu archives for most of its software.

>The difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu lie mainly in the packages which are installed by default, the artwork which is included and the installer itself.

So, from what I digest, the main differences are
>uses shitty artwork
>by default uses shitty cinnamon, although offering MATE, KDE, and XFCE versions which basically Kubuntu - Ubuntu MATE + Xubuntu with
>shitty artworks
>uses a bloated "Mint Update Manager" bullshit

How different, totally Ubuntu Remastered.
>>
>>51450521
>>51450539
>>51450540
>>51450564
>>51450763
>>51450788
>>51450796
>>51450804
>>51450821
>>51450854
>>51450887
>>51450900
>>51450907
>>51450914
>>51450925
>>51450946
>>51450959
>>51450989
>>51451008
OP here, sort it out at https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Talk:/flt/
>>
>>51451008
>Remastered
Agreeable to some extent
>Both are shit
Agreeable but depends on you preference
>LMDE = Ubuntu
No. Mint comes mp3 etc..ready with it's own mutimedia prep. You don't install ubuntu-restricred-extras in Mint. Mint also packages it's own preparation of the adobe plugin - But you can switch to the official Adobe one. Adding PPA is not allowed in LMDE.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'.
Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer.
It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because the OP rambling incoherent complicated post gave me cancer anyway.
>>
>>51451158
6/10, you made me smile
>>
>>51451158
This is what happens when clueless people try and argue over something
see this for keks: >>51450854
>>
>>51451158
I chuckled.
>>
>>51451014
Seriously I don't fucking care of those distro wars in /g/ There's not point. Everyone here is tech savvy and don't care learning (if they don't want, they should probably find another board to shitpost). But for real newbies, here are my thought :

Debian stable (or testing) is a good distribution for normies if someone can install it for them and configure it for them (what I did with my parents laptop).
That's impossible to recommend a distribution that doesn't include non free software by default (even if they can be added easily) and where you have to manually install the drivers to get the wifi works. Newbies shouldn't have to do that. So if you can do it for them, yeah go for it, but if you want them to install it, forget it. (Now, if they want a distribution that truly respect their freedom and don't want non free software, that's another thing, but they should be aware what are the consequences).

Ubuntu is shit and bloated, we all know that. Does it respect user privacy or not ? probably, but we can't be sure. Now there's a lot to do about ethic. They did mistakes, try having their own software, mess up with free licences, not open sourcing their programs and services etc. They never contribute to the kernel, push mir instead of wayland, etc. There is issues with ubuntu and canonical, but distributions that comes from ubuntu aren't really affected. In fact, kubuntu will use wayland and not mir for example. Does kubuntu suffer from ubuntu because of their bullshit ? yes, that's a fact, and there's people that dropped the kubuntu project because it was pain to deal with canonical teams, and their vision of the free licences. Are the users affected ? a little, but I don't think that significant, even if prism-break.org decided to not recommend every distribution including stuff made by canonical in case there is a potential botnet.

That's my thought about ubuntu, distributions based on it and debian.
>>
>>51451014
>>51451222
and the FSF shouldn't be taken seriously when it comes to recommend a distribution.

And I actually have a question: what about recommending smartphone OS free as in freedom ? ubuntu touch, sailfish OS, tizen.. (firefox OS?) ? For people looking to buy a new smartphone and wants something good.
>>
>>51451222
>That's my thought about ubuntu, distributions based on it and debian.

You can say Debian and distributions based on it m8
>>
Fedora and Fedora derivatives (RHEL, CentOS) are the best distros for productivity and critical applications.

Debian is only good when you have a computer with obscure architecture.

There's no reason to run anything else.
>>
>>51451240
Also, it's so funny to see people here are paranoid enough to suspect spywares' presence in pdf viewers while the same people use smartphones. Wow
>>
>>51451269
>rpm-based distros
enjoy shitty packagemanager
>>
>>51451240
/g/ will be fine with recommending ubuntu for a smartphone though. But they will go absolutely mad if someone recommends the same distro for desktops because too mainstream
>>51451290
What's the name of your superior package manager?
>>
File: ~.png (60 KB, 332x311) Image search: [Google]
~.png
60 KB, 332x311
>>51451290
>He fell for the apt meme
>>
>>51451302
I don't have any 'package managers'. I compile from source just like any gentlemen do.
>>
>>51451328
And it's not possible in rpm based distros?
>>
>>51451290
dnf is the best package manager in the market.

yum was still superior to apt but it was slow as fuck.
dnf fixed it.

Enjoy your broken dependencies by the courtesy of inept debian devs.
>>
>>51451255
I prefer to separate distributions based on debian and distributions based on ubuntu. Something based on debian will not necessarily include stuff from ubuntu, while distributions based on ubuntu will.

>>51451272
I personally prefer using free software for ethic and not only because of muuh spyware, backdoors and botnet.
Of course paranoia should stop, but with companies selling our data to anyone or giving them to the gov, that doesn't help.

Also I have a question to the few faggots talking about mint and cinnamon. Why do you hate cinnamon ? what do you dislike ? Serious question, not trolling. I just want pros and cons, else the debate is pointless. You say it shit without explain..
>>
>>51451340
It isn't?
News to me, I've compiled my own shit on fedora in the past week.
>>
>>51451355
Its' not they, it's just one new idiot. He thinks Cinnamon makes your desktop green. What a clueless pile of garbage
>>
>>51451340
You were talking about what package manager that I use, I told you I don't use it. Package manager is a bloat.
>>
File: The universe.jpg (52 KB, 578x545) Image search: [Google]
The universe.jpg
52 KB, 578x545
>>51451341
>dnf is the best package manager in the market.
dnf is incredible.
>>
>>51451302
>/g/ will be fine with recommending ubuntu for a smartphone though. But they will go absolutely mad if someone recommends the same distro for desktops because too mainstream
that's my case. I have a ubuntu touch smartphone and I think it's the best smartphone OS currently (I never tried sailfish OS sadly, so I still don't know which one is the best between those two). I'm glad it exist, it opens the door to the other distributions (KDE team are porting plasma for UT so you can choose the DE you want on it, which is just great. They'll even use wayland instead of mir).
But on the other hand I don't recommend ubuntu for desktop. I won't mind if they install it in the end, but if they can avoid it, I would prefer. Not for spyware issues but as I said >>51451222, they don't contribute to the free movement and take stupid decisions.
>>
>>51451355
>I personally prefer using free software for ethic and not only because of muuh spyware, backdoors and botnet.
>>>/fsf/
>>>/gnu/
>>
>>51451385
>KDE on a smartphone
>I'll finally be able to configure absolutely everything to be anime icons
>>
File: 15432869.png (256 KB, 646x359) Image search: [Google]
15432869.png
256 KB, 646x359
>>51451377
>He thinks Cinnamon makes your desktop green.
>>
File: 1412569246997.jpg (280 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1412569246997.jpg
280 KB, 1920x1080
>>51451404
KDE makes your desktop blue, so it's not a stretch to say cinnamon makes your desktop green.
>>
>>51451442
Fuck you, MATE makes your desktop go green
>>
>>51451387
>/fsf/
>/gnu/
sorry if I don't want to give money to some shitty companies that will mess up with my personal data. The unique proprietary software I don't mind using is the one I pay. That means they aren't force to sell my data to make money. I still avoid companies like microsoft of apple, since they don't mind giving your data to the NSA for free.
>>
I actually like Unity, but don't want the Amazon spyware that comes with Ubuntu, what do I do?
>>
>>51451482
>Click the Security & Privacy icon, click the Search tab, and toggle the “Include online search results” option to Off. Ubuntu also provides a quick link to Amazon on your launcher. Just right-click the Amazon icon and select Unlock from Launcher to remove it.
>>
>>51451482
remove it
>>
>>51451499
>>51451501
But how do I know for sure whether nothing of it has left behind?

Amazon doesn't need to know what I jerk off to.
>>
>>51451457
MATE goes emerald, it's a lie to call it simply "Green"
>>
>>51451514
Compile it yourself.
>>
>>51451514
Install ubuntu minimal and unty on top of it
>>
File: privacy_settings.png (31 KB, 650x426) Image search: [Google]
privacy_settings.png
31 KB, 650x426
>>51451514
Turn both of them off
>>
Re-asking from last thread. If I install Linux and use LVM, can I later add disks and not use them under LVM, just as regular old drives? Or must I add a new drive to LVM in order to use it?
>>
>>51451158
10/10
>>
>>51451559
you can have non-logical volumes.
>>
>>51451514
the "amazon spyware" don't spy on you jerking off. All it do basically :
whenever you're searching something on the launcher, it sends what you typed to the canonical servers that will querry amazon for suggestions. Canonical will send you back those suggestions.
Basically, amazon will know what someone searched, but not who. It's not a permanent botnet like windows 10.
>>
>>51451605
Canonical doesn't need to know what I jerk off to.
>>
>>51451605
Underrated post
>>
>>51451629
They want to know what people jerk off to
>>
>>51451629
THere's also the question of trusting a company.
But actually I don't get why they need to get it. Why they didn't query the websites directly like wikipedia or amazon direcly ? Is it to use canonical servers as a proxy so amazon can't know who's who ?
>>
File: ZvaG33nh.jpg (105 KB, 1024x579) Image search: [Google]
ZvaG33nh.jpg
105 KB, 1024x579
>>51451605
>>51451629
>>51451656
I ordered onaholes off Amazon
>>
>>51451694
Watch out for that needle in there.

Yours truly,

The Amazon team!
>>
i play poker for a living, and linux won't let me. fuck linux.
>>
>>51451798
install nonfree codecs
>>
>>51449331
I am running Fedora 22 and I have a Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 headset. It connects through a USB sound card, and works without the sound card USB plugged in but how do I get it working with the sound card/USB in?
>>
I'm fed up with having undiagnosable problems due to running manjaro.

I like the arch DIY approach to things but I don't like release cycles that are so fast they force me to reboot every week because the dependencies for something I want to install got rebuilt and there was a kernel upgrade.

Give me a distro to switch to.
>>
>>51451850
>running manjaro
There's your problem, we tried to told you Manjaro is the LinuxMint of Arch, making good things shitty.
>>
>>51451850
Arch, there is NO good alternative
>>
>>51451870
Did you read my post?
>>
>>51451850
>I like the arch DIY approach to things but I don't like release cycles that are so fast they force me to reboot every week because the dependencies for something I want to install got rebuilt and there was a kernel upgrade.

reboot every two weeks then.
>>
>>51451875
>we tried to told you Manjaro is the LinuxMint of Arch
I'm willing to bet he didn't
>>
>>51451906
Added to your meme list?
>>
>>51451850
personally I'd just install Debian testing and have done with it, senpai
>>
>>51451850
>>51451906
>>51451917
Don't reboot it, just patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww
>>
>>51451850
Real Arch doesn't constantly check for updates and nag you to install them, you can run updates once every year if you choose.
>>
>>51451936
These are so cringe worth.
>>
>>51451950
>because the dependencies for something I want to install got rebuilt and there was a kernel upgrade.
>>
>>51451961
You don't have to reboot for anything but a kernel upgrade. If it is a service that got updated then just restart the service (and pray that systemd does shit its pants like it apparently does when you restart dbus).
>>
>>51449331
Should use the SIGKILL image next.
>>
>>51451990
>doing partial updates
Enjoy your instability.
>>
>>51452005
What are you talking about?
>>
File: ZPZ8FK6.png (538 KB, 500x1000) Image search: [Google]
ZPZ8FK6.png
538 KB, 500x1000
>>51452002
This one?
>>
>>51452015
Apparently you don't know the topic of the conversation that you're getting into.
>>
File: 8JDsUC3.jpg (59 KB, 960x897) Image search: [Google]
8JDsUC3.jpg
59 KB, 960x897
>>51452002
>>51452015
or this one?
>>
>>51452022
Yep

>>51451990
You don't need to reboot for kernel updates anymore. You still need to reboot for init updates, depending on the init you are using.
>>
>>51452035
Meant to>>51452022, sorry.
>>
>>51451379
Enjoy manually checking everything installed for security updates every day. Moron.
>>
>>51452025
I understand the topic completely. What "partial updating are you talking about" What does that have to do with what I just posted? Kernels are the only thing you need to reboot for.

>>51452037
>You don't need to reboot for kernel updates anymore.
I know it's possible to patch kernels but I was under the impression that was more for distros which stick to an LTS version and update a revision number. Have mainstream distros started to adopt this already?
>>
>>51452087
>Kernels are the only thing you need to reboot for.
Yes, and when the kernel updates, if you update things without updating the kernel, you do a partial update. The original statement is "reboot because dependencies got rebuilt and there was a kernel update".

2+2=5
>>
>people here talking about reboot
have you faggots heard about live patching?
>>
>>51452022
I've had stuff live through a kill -9. I dont know what the fuck was going on..
>>
>>51452118
Have fun live patching if you're not on redhat or suse
>>
>>51452130
and why you faggots don't use redhat/suse?
>>
>>51452101
Kernels are not released every week though so on average you need to update your system full without needing to reboot more than you will with a reboot. Is that it that difficult to comprehend?
>>
>>51452137
lol not in a million years hun
>>
You still should reboot after an update if you're not in a situation where reboot would fuck something up.

""""Enterprise""""" quality distros like fedora come with a tool called needs-restarting, which lists you all services that need a restart if you absolutely have to do it manually.

Rebooting is the most reliable method of ensuring that every updated service was restarted.

That's why when updating by graphical tool (in gnome for example) you have a button that says "reboot"
>>
>>51452087
>Have mainstream distros started to adopt this already?
I don't know how many distros support it but I think you can just manually run kexec safely most of the time

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kexec
>>
>>51452137
Because I don't have the money to shell out for RHEL and don't actually need it. Fedora suits my needs perfectly.
>>
>>51452156
>Rebooting is the most reliable method of ensuring that every updated service was restarted.
Not now that we have systemd.

Have fun trying to code proper restarting into your bash boilerplate initscripts, anti-systemd keks.
>>
>>51452156
>Rebooting is the most reliable method of ensuring that every updated service was restarted.
More reliable than actually using your init system with the basic functions it provides to restart services?
>>
what distro works best with plasma 5.5 beta as of now?
>>
>>51452140
Have fun on LTS
>>
>>51452179
I use mainline you moron. Do you understand anything about the kernel release schedule?
>>
>>51452169
>Not now that we have systemd.
Not in any init system. Restarting is never needed for updated services.
>>
>>51452185
I've had kernel updates in the package manager every two weeks for aobut two months now
>>
>>51452169
My favorite:

# /etc/init.d/service restart
# pgrep service
# killall service
# pgrep service
# killall -9 service
# pgrep service
# /etc/init.d/service start
>>
>>51452204
Well it is you who is using stable or LTS then.
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
In which case, you could just be patching them and still not rebooting.
>>
>>51452222
>Well it is you who is using stable or LTS then.
Apparently you don't have a brain because you just said something beyond nonsensical.
>>
>>51452241
If you are updating every week or two then you are not using a rc or mainline kernel.
>>
>>51452214
systemctl restart <service>

is easier.
>>
>>51452263
What are minor releases
>>
>>51452275
>What are minor releases
Something that doesn't happen every week.
What are patches?
>Still not needing to reboot
>>
>>51452172
Well yeah you dum nigger?
How's rebooting the entire system with every single service be it updated or not less reliable than relying on a init system to pick them up and have an attempt at restarting them?
>>
>>51452302
Linux version numbering changed a couple years ago bruh get with the times
>>
>>51452306
Can you speak English please? I don't understand hick.
>>
sudo kill -9 1
>>
>>51452316
Now who's not making any sense.
Ok, go on, tell which which kernel you are using and when the last update was?
>>
>>51452302
>What are patches?
>>Still not needing to reboot
Enjoy your broken system.
>>
>>51452361
Why would your system be broken after patching the kernel?
>>
>>51452369
Because I don't run suse/redhat
>>
>>51452341
What happens? Does your computer just hang or will the kernel restart init?
>>
>>51452383
Ok cool. Why would you need to?
>>
>>51449331
This pic is biased. And Windows supports MIME types.
>>
Question: why is Ubuntu always shit on by most Linux users? When I built a new computer recently I used it for a few months while I waited for Windows 10 to come out, and it seemed pretty alright.
>>
>>51452386
kills systemd and therefore everything pretty much
>>
>>51452406
Define recently
>>
>>51452406
Because it just works
>>
>>51452406
Have you tried googling?

Can someone please fucking explain why do we have the same fucking questions answered over and over again every single fucking day?
>>
>>51452406
it not
OP is just retarded if you reference that.
Theres reason to recommend other distros, but he instead make it seem like his personal crusade against ubuntu and like it pains him greatly to recommend Mint
>>
>>51452416
That's actually weird.
I used this command various time and had fun with it, but I just tried it on my laptop running ubuntu and nothing happened. Did I missed which command it is ?

>>51452386
and to answer you, launching this command will take you to the login screen, by killing every process.
>>
File: t1UKf61.png (16 KB, 948x127) Image search: [Google]
t1UKf61.png
16 KB, 948x127
>>51452406
>>
>>51449331
why would i want my operating system to tell me stuff and do stuff without my instruction i never told it to associate that file extension with text files.
>>
>>51452446
so dont answer it instead of whining you giant faggot
and get a life instead of spending your days in threads like this
>>
>>51452471
linux doesn't associate file extensions
>>
>>51449331
>Windows: extension not found in the registry
>Linux: oh fuck, file had some buffer overflow or other exploitable bug, now you're fucked
>>
Why do people act like heuristical filetype detection is a good thing? Metadata is the way to go. You faggots already have a permissions system, why can't you get your head out of your ass and have a real MIME field?
>>
>>51450602
>2 no arrows coming out of are you a paid shill
Shit flowchart desu
>>
File: 1398163624724.png (230 KB, 455x443) Image search: [Google]
1398163624724.png
230 KB, 455x443
>>51452471
>>51452483
>there are people actually DEFENDING it
You canNOT make this shit up
>>
>>51452509
Do you have some argument against/for something?
>>
Downloading OpenSUSE.

Is YaST really as good as people say it is?
>>
>>51452499
Why do people ask indirect questions about some other people without referencing anyone post? Maybe they should go back to reddit?
>>
>>51452520
Of course I don't, I'm just shitposting
>>
>>51452530
Every rpm-based distros are shit.
>>
>>51452543
The reference is the OP image you mongloid.
>>
File: 1447451638.jpg (57 KB, 1601x923) Image search: [Google]
1447451638.jpg
57 KB, 1601x923
>>51452530
its the best of its kind in the linux world
that does not make it like some second coming of christ when competition is shitty, but its still nice
>>
>>51452559
Shut the fuck up, you Austronesian.
>>
>>51449331
>that picture
>linuxfags are literally redditors
>>
>>51452576
Sorry bub but I'm indo-european master race.
>>
>>51452549
why?
fedora was okay, other than the no packages thing

Also, I picked it for no other reason than that the logo is cute.
>>
>>51452584
>implying 90% of 4chan's users aren't redditors
>>
>>51452600
dont engage retards, you are rewarding shitposting with attention
do you think someone who utters that nonsense got some real reasoning for their arguments?
Nah thats just some loser failed person faggot who just wants some attention
>>
>>51452587
>indo-european
কিভাবে এটা, ব্রিজেশ যাচ্ছে?
>>
>>51452635
Look, a loser failed person faggot who just wants some attention
>>
>linux
Over used meme
>>
>>51452635
I was just challenging his opinion.
Nothing more to it man.
You are more cancerous than whoever I've replied to imo
>>
>>51452638
lol which language do you think that it?
>>
okay I got it. Run :
kill -9 -1

and have fun.
>>
>>51452530
Well, from my experience not really.
I was pretty hyped for the new Leap to switch from my fedora installation since I was already familiar with RPM and the premise of "stable core with up to date daily packages" seemed great.

I want to state that I installed XFCE on just like I did with Fedora, but because they use the same package versions I hoped everything should be the same.

Turned out to be a pile of trash honestly.
In the first boot I already got libreoffice crashing on me.
You couldn't turn it off from the display manager (the menu just wouldn't open)
Some file indexing/search service was constantly at 50% CPU use for a good few hours before I decided to remove it.

And Yast, good lord.
Slow
Unresponsive
Had to fight for a solid hour with it trying to install my fucking printer despite the fact that the exact model works flawlessly without any hiccups every day since the day I switched to linux.

YaST is a nice tool If you're coming from a Windows background I have to admit.

Given up after 2 days, went back to le hat meme distro.

>>51452549
Nice meme.
>>
>>51452655
Bengali, which is technically Indo-European language.
>>
>>51452657
if people can post moar like this

:(){ :|:& };:
>>
>>51452650
and what answer you got out of him, oh nothing, what a surprise newfriend

>You are more cancerous than whoever I've replied to imo
Do tell how you came up with that. But first you should maybe define the term cancerous in our settings.
>>
>>51452671
fork while fork
>>
>>51452658
I am going to use it with Plasma 5.
I just want a distro that is based around it.

Also, I will be using tumbleweed and not leap.
I don't really see a reason to use leap for other than a server.
>>
>>51452628
Speak for yourself, newfag.
>>
>>51452668
So is English.
>>
>>51452701
>I just want a distro that is based around it.
Well if you want a decent KDE experience then I'd advice to stay away from Fedora at least until F24.
Main kde maintainer left and KDE spin is about as polished as a sketchy "beta" version
>>
So I have two binds on my desktop:
/home/me/share    /srv/nfs/share               none    bind  0  0
/var/www /home/me/share/www none bind 0 0

the one to /vaw/www work correctly in my home folder, but if I view the same directory from my /srv/ the bind to /var/www is not there. Can you not see a bind within a bind or do I have to bind the same dir twice once in home and then once to the home bind in srv?
>>
>>51453208
your question is kind of confusing. What are you trying to do, exactly?
>>
>>51453262

I have a file server on it there are some directories I want to share one is /home/me/share, so I bound that to /srv/nfs/share so it's visible across the network. Inside the /home/me/share/ there's a /www directory that I have bound to my /var/www directory so I can edit files on my lan web server easily without having to ssh in. The bind to the /var/www directory is visible in /home/me/share/www but if I look at that directory via /srv/nfs/share/www the bind is not there, so as I was saying is it not possible to view a bind within a bind or do I just have to bind the /var/www to the /srv/nfs/share/www too?
>>
>>51453362
https://docs.1h.com/Bind_mounts
>Note that when you mount a filesystem somewhere else, any filesystems that were mounted to mount points inside the bind-mounted filesystem will not be moved along.
hope thats what you need here.
>>
>>51453437

Yeah, exactly that. cheers.
>>
File: a.png (49 KB, 787x646) Image search: [Google]
a.png
49 KB, 787x646
Is there a Linux file manager that has check boxes like in Explorer? See pic related. It makes life easier for me not having to use the Ctrl key to multi-select items.
>>
>>51453441
No problem.
>>51453453
If you don't have a problem with qt there's dolphin. Otherwise check out some of these.
http://www.tuxarena.com/2011/06/20-file-managers-for-ubuntu/
at least a few of them should have checkboxes but you would need to turn them on in the setttings.
>>
>>51453453
In ranger you can hit space to select items. I think a few other filemanagers also have this.
>>
>>51453453
Using Ctrl is the more efficient way, so little chance.

Try dolphin, It might have that feature. If Dolphin hasn't got it, then no
>>
>>51453531
Dolphin do have this.
>>
Can someone suggest a lightweight distro for a piece of shit netbook? It's got like 1GB of ram and I just installed a spare SSD to make it boot relatively quickly.

Obviously there are limits to how well it will run, because it's like 6 years old and was shit to begin with. It's currently running mint but I was wondering if there was a better option.
>>
>>51453673
How about you tell us what you're looking for in a distro? Your linux expertice? Distros yiu already used? There are dozens of distros that are lightweight..
>>
>>51453673
If you have some experience with linux then try something like debian (stable, don't fall for the testing/sid meme) with lxde. Debian with lxde will be more lighweight than lubuntu.

Or even better, debian xfce (as a base) and throw a standalone window manager on it like i3.
>>
>>51453691
I've used mint and ubuntu (Which is almost the same thing)

I'm a newbie but I'm ready and willing to google shit to fix it.

I mostly use it for email and web browsing. I essentially want to know if a different distro will allow it to run without having large wait times while loading / stuttering when doing several things at once. I have a hunch that it's mostly due to hardware limitations, which isn't something that I'm going to invest money to fix.
>>
>>51453673
>>51453765
Arch or debian are the best lightweight distros imo. They shouldn't be that hard for a beginner to install but may take more time to install than mint.
>>
>>51451906
Then that means that you can't circlejerk on uptime generals.
>>
>>51453765
Ok first of all if you say you don't want long wait times and lag, that won't change with a minimalistic distro. Why? Because you will probably continue to use the same programs that you use now and they're the reason everything's slow. Most applications have lightweight ncurses alternatives that you should look into too. The base system doesn't matter. Debian, Ubuntu, Arch it doesn't matter. The DE and Applications eat your resources. Look into lightweight DEs like lxde or lxqt.
>>
>>51453871
This, there's such a massive misunderstanding of what "minimal" is and does in linux.
>>
>>51453871
Ah, okay, so a lighterweight DE sounds more what I'm looking for, thank you.
>>
>>51453921
It could be but more details are needed really. Can you give examples of the problem you're having? If could be a number of things causing the slightly vague things you mentioned, it's hard to say.
>>
>>51453890
Correct. A friend of mine just recently took the challenge to install arch dispite it not suiting him at all. Threw KDE on it instantly and wondered why his old laptop can't even handle this super simplicistic distro.
>>51453921
Lxde and xfce are old players that should work well. Lxqt is a new lxde spin based on qt and is already pretty solid. For more advanced tweaking and customization openbox should run equally well.
>>
>>51453871
>The base system doesn't matter. Debian, Ubuntu, Arch it doesn't matter.
I'd argue with that.

If you're really concerned about resources than Debian is a better choice than ubuntu.
Ubuntu has a lot more stuff running in the background, like apparmor and stuff.
Base installation of Xubuntu fresh boot eats up like ~300MB of RAM.
Base installation of Debian (wheezy) with XFCE after fresh boot ate around ~170MB.
With a limit of 1GB it will make a difference.

But yeah, the choice of applications matters the most.
So look on abiword + gnumeric instead of libreoffice, a lighweight browser instead of firefox/chromium, a lighweight terminal based music player like cmus instead of a fully graphical one.
>>
File: 1448038103216.png (32 KB, 698x690) Image search: [Google]
1448038103216.png
32 KB, 698x690
>>51453890
this.

>>51453871
>>51453965
you're wrong on what is a minimal distribution and what is a lightweight distribution. Don't confuse both. You can have something minimal and run KDE or Gnome, but it won't be lightweight.

There's a lot of things in a distribution that can impact the performances of an old computer even if the DE impact more than anything else.

> A friend of mine just recently took the challenge to install arch dispite it not suiting him at all. Threw KDE on it instantly and wondered why his old laptop can't even handle this super simplicistic distro.
Having a retarded friend isn't a proof of anything

>>51453921
go for debian testing and pick a light DE.
Pic related was posted in the previous thread. By experience, cinnamon is still usable even with a shitty laptop.
>>
>>51453951
Programs are slow to load, slow when switching between programs, and running many programs at once compounds everything.

Part of the problem is the hardware limitations. With only 1 GB of RAM, it's forced to heavily use virtual memory, else it freezes and crashes when trying to, say, open firefox. This I figured out because somehow the virtual memory got switched off and I had to recreate/re-enable the swap file.

I feel that if the baseline requirements to run whatever DE are lower, it wouldn't have to resort to slower virtual memory.
>>
>>51454158
Cinnamon works and is useable, it's just slow, that's why I keep emphasizing that it's likely a hardware limitation.
>>
>>51453765

My netbook must be even shitter than yours, because Ubuntu and Mint were both laggy and unbearable.

Xubuntu runs really nicely on it, and I heard while researching myself that if Xubuntu isn't fast enough Lubuntu is even more bare.
>>
>>51454158
>>51454185
maybe I should have added that cinnamon is too bloated for 1GB ram. It will use too much memory.
>>
Arch with a release cycle?
>>
>>51454217
Fedora.
New release every 6 months.
>>
>>51454217
No?
>>
>>51454224
Funny joke.
>>
>>51454162
Ok yeah in that case it's almost certainly the hardware. With 1GB of RAM you can't expect too much. I don't think slow loading of programs has much to do with this, it's fairly normal for binary distros. It could be caused by having a lot of services running unnecessarily, perhaps.

DE will certainly make a big difference for you, I would try openbox or i3 if you don't mind learning a bit and setting it up. Virtual memory is always going to be needed for your system though to be honest, most programs these days assume systems have more than this. I have 4gb and firefox is using 780mb right now so, think it will always be a struggle for you.

Can't you just buy another stick? They cost nothing.
>>
>>51454217
Maybe?
>>
Ok wizards I challenge you . How do I make shortcut to opet terminal in a directory in which I currently am ? Using Xubuntu (Thunar fm,Terminator emulator).
>>
>>51454217
Agreed
>>
>>51454276
look through your shortcut options
>>
>>51454276
alias here="thunar . & disown"
>>
>>51449331
Can you add option 4. Have a spare hhd, swap with current OS hdd and install on that
>>
>>51454308
That's the opposite of what he is asking for.
>>
>>51454319
That's the joke
>>
>>51454276

In thunar for me it's:

>exo-open --working-directory %f --launch TerminalEmulator
>>
>>51454328
epic mate
>>
>>51454276
thunar has this feature by default
>>
>>51454319
If he types it in reverse it should be exactly what he asked for.
>>
>>51454354
thanks I appreciate it
see >>51454359
>>
>>51454359
that's a menu item, not a shortcut. Your computer also appears to be displaying gobledigook.
>>
>>51451404
Ikr, every one knows Mint makes green desktops
>>
>>51454366
even more epic
>>
>>51449331
I have the CompTIA Linux+ book/study guide, is it full of useful modern info about linux or am I wasting my time
>>
>>51454359
we are looking for keyboard shortcut bruh , we are not that fucking blind and retarded to miss that option on a fucking right click
>>
>>51454349
Failed to change to directory '%f' (No such file or directory).

Its not working for me mate.This is what I get.
>>
>>51454410
Oh aight, my bad
>>
>>51454473

You are doing it via onfigure custom action in thunar right? It works fine here.
>>
>>51454505
But how do I assign a keyboard shortcut to it?
>>
BASED SUAREZ
>>
>>51454576
Oops.. Wrong thread.
>>
>>51454505
Hey?
>>
>>51454529

Yeah no idea, I thought you just wanted a context menu shortcut.
>>
>>51453453
thunar has this option
>>
>>51454276
dude , you are on 4chan /g/ , serious questions and problems are not going to be answered because only neet kids and posers are here. People here know more about windows and mac than about fucking linux , they are fucking posers , they dont know shit bro , just go to some serious forum and ask there.
>>
>>51449331
>ever unironically using linux if you're not IT

I bet you screw things in with a hammer
>>
to be quite frank, familial relations, most reasons for using linux also overlap with reasons for using XP unless you need to do things windows cannot do, in which case you are likely smart/tech savvy enough to not need a beginners guide
>>
>>51454887
>most reasons for using linux also overlap with reasons for using XP
You mean like having a stable, secure, private OS?

oh wait
>>
CRUX or Gentoo?
>>
>>51455007
CRUX
R
U
X
>>
>>51455007
funtoo
>>
Yesterday i posted here about mysterious crashing on my system.
Downgrading to lts (4.1.13) fixed the problem, so the problem was with 4.3.
>>
File: g.jpg (162 KB, 424x462) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
162 KB, 424x462
>>51449331
>>
since the death of linux outlaws I haven't been able to find a good alternative linx podcast that is able to cratch the same itch and as a result, I'm completely out of the loop regarding linux news

Do you have any linux podcast recommendations, /g/?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.