[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i literally need to just kill myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Need some help and advice.

Built a new computer. Specs
-amd fx-8320 black edition
-msi 970 gaming motherboard
-msi R9 390 8gb gpu
- cooler master g650m 650 watt psu
-16 GB corsair vengeance ram

Computer running smoothly for 4 months or so. It suddenly reboots randomly. Begins to do this more frequently. Windows error log reads "kernel power error 41 (63)". Eventually it stops posting... Fans spin, less come on (with the exception of the video card) and monitor goes to sleep doesn't detect PC is on at all.

I opened the case to look for errors. My motherboard has a large greasy stain near the capacitors and the stain has leaked into my video card slot.

I don't have any way to test my components. I send the mobo and video card in for an rma. Should I also send in psu and CPU?

Also, this is my first PC build. Did I buy the right shit... Should I replace the psu with a higher quality one? Cooler master seems to be a good brand right? Do you think it was the mobo that fucked up? Should I bother sending in CPU for an rma? How can I prevent this from happening again?

Its hard to not be down on yourself when something lime this happens, I am disappointed in myself I feel like I fucked up... It seemed to be fine and was working great until this happened.. Now I feel like ill constantly be worried it'll happen again as the problem came so suddenly and without warning.
>>
>>55085555
>running smoothly for 4 months or so. It suddenly reboots randomly
summer is very near, temps rise, stuff either throttles, trips the watchdog or plain crashes
>large greasy stain near the capacitors
so leaked/busted cap(s)? rma if its under warranty, replace caps yourself if its not
>g650m
thats plenty of juice for the system, no worries there

also
>wasted quads
and see >>>/wsr/

gl
>>
Busted cap isn't your fault

Just RMA
>>
>>55085636

Yeah Texas summer... I have 7 fans in my machine. CPU, 2 on gpu, 4 case fans. Two front mounted intakes, one in back for outtake, one mounted on top also outtake

Sorry for wasted quads thought only b cared about that shit.

CPU seems fine its not burned or anything just don't know if its worth rma'ing. Everything under warrant, fortunately.
>>
>>55085655

Tbh with you I don't have a surge protector, isn't it possible a lightning strike can cause power surge? Was playing during a storm and lightning strike caused power outage. Pretty sure thatd be on my end.

Guess I should buy one
>>
>>55085684
If you can rma, you fucking rma
It may have problems in he future so you may as well replace the thing for free
>>
>>55085732

Yeah just limited income and they expect you to cover shipping. Was 40 bucks to send off mobo and gpu
>>
>>55085684
from the looks of it only the mb should be kaput, that is, with a bit of luck the leakage from those caps werent corrosive enough to have caused any damage to anything else (some are corrosive but the exposure was probably minimal)

i never really liked to set intake fans, i would just leave the intakes empty (even if it has a filter) and set the outtake fans as close to the heat sources as possible, this way i wouldnt have to worry about pressure differentials and air paths or anything like that.
but then again, it has been years since i last touched a toasty system, so ymmv
>>
>>55085711
>isn't it possible a lightning strike can cause power surge?
Lightning surge would have killed every electronic component in your house. You would be able to smell the smoke let out of everything.
>>
>>55085991

Right right... Feeling a little better now. Hopefully msi doesn't take a month to replace it.

Going to get a surge protector just incase and call and tomorrow. At the very least having a professional say its fine and send it back will give me peace if mind. I'd pay 6 bucks for that as thts what it'd cost to ship it.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>55085555
The 970 chipset mobos aren't really meant to handle the power draw of the higher end visheras. I'm waiting for mine to go but you should get a 990 mobo
>>
>>55085555
Motherboards just up and die sometimes. Usually within the early lifespan of the board. If it makes it past six months it'll probably go on for 10 years.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.