[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haskell is for curries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: fuck-haskell.png (53 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
fuck-haskell.png
53 KB, 600x600
So I got meme'd into trying Haskell and nearly wasted my whole weekend with this shit. It is better than Lisp they said. WRONG! Programming in Haskell is a PRISON. You are bound by a ridiculous flurry of constraints created by other people. Haskell makes it impossible to express what you want to how you want it. Also none of the experience you gain in Haskell is portable to other languages because it's so different. All the time you spend writing Haskell code is only useful for writing more Haskell in the future.

It's fucking shit. Stick to good languages like Racket and Clojure and CL.
>>
>>54808434

>nearly wasted my whole weekend

Sorry, but do you expect to learn a completely different langauge at one weekend?

>Haskell makes it impossible to express what you want to how you want it.

Ah well, every beginning is hard..

>Also none of the experience you gain in Haskell is portable to other languages because it's so different.

That's exactly the point:
You learn a bunch ofprogramming languages so you have differnt "mindsets" about how to adress problems.

For example if you learn Scala but only know Java, you will probably adress most problems in an OOP way. But if you have learned Haskell and Java and then learn Scala, you will probably use it very differnt.

>It's fucking shit

stop_linking_what_I_dont_like.jpeg
>>
>>54808527
So you think ode should have to drop into """monads""" mutate state, lmao. Haskell takes this """functional purity""" nonsense way too far to the point that it's impossible to write programs at any reasonable pace.

GHC is a big magic black box. It weighs 1 GB and no one knows what it does. That's not how I like to write software. I would like to be able to see my decompilation and understand it or be able to read the source of the compiler. That cannot be done with Haskell and that's a big reason why it's shit.
>>
>>54808434
I'm kind of with you OP. I used Haskell for all my personal projects for about 6 months. I switched back to Scheme and then to Clojure and I feel so freed.

That being said, Haskell is a great experience and I always recommend that people learn it. It has improved my Lisp so much. I'm happy I spent so much time with it, but for the foreseeable future Clojure is my language of choice for personal projects.
>>
>>54808926
>for the foreseeable future Clojure is my language of choice for personal projects

This.

I didn't spend as much time with Haskell but once I went back to Lisp today, it felt like a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>54808604
>what the fuck is the point of cars?! There's so many rules and fucking maintenance. You can walk literally anywhere, so it doesn't even improve transportation. Don't get memed.
>>
>>54808604
hey buddy your keyboard is broken, it keeps repeating quotation marks.
>>
>>54808434
Racket, clojure and CL are mediocre at best.
Want a good language? Your only option is Rust.
>>
>>54809693
Hot arguments
>>
>>54809693
C++ is better than Rust and actually has libraries/isn't a fad.
>>
>>54809716
>C++
>better than rust
OK pajeet
>>
>>54809693
Clojure is one of the best engineered languages I've ever seen.

CL is what happens when you have to preserve backwards compatibility due to project constraints. More people need to realize its historical context, and the reason why CL has a thousand ways to do the same thing.
>>
>>54809693
Also, Clojure clearly isn't competing with Rust. Two totally different audiences.
>>
>>54809812
>Clojure is one of the best engineered languages I've ever seen.
I haven't laughed that hard since 9/11.
>>
>>54809833
nice argument.

Also, only a kike would laugh at 9/11; you've revealed yourself Rabi.
>>
After years of shitposting and reading about languages, I have come to the conclusion that every language is mediocre, and it takes a good dev to make it work well.

Pissed off by Haskell's strong type system? Don't suck, or use typeclasses.

Pissed off that dynamic typing exists? Use a strong, statically typed language.

It's never a case of "this language is objectively shit", it's almost always a case of "X doesn't work like Y" or "X doesn't have feature Z" so it's shit.

This is why you just stick to a language that's widespread and learn about interesting ones as you go, so I'm sticking to a combo of C++/Java and Haskell as my hobby (but still useful) language.
>>
File: Wojacum.png (132 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Wojacum.png
132 KB, 800x800
If Haskell is so bad, then why do girls like it?

http://girlloveshaskell.com/

Checkmate virgins
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.