[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bad Gym Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13
File: fuk u.png (296 KB, 556x412) Image search: [Google]
fuk u.png
296 KB, 556x412
ITT: post bad lifting advice you've actually been given while working out, I'll go first

>"You should squat in the smith machine, it helps you with form"

>"The Smith machine makes your lifts heavier by adding resistance"

>"Anything more than 3 minutes of running just undoes all of your cardio"

>"Warming up tires your muscles too quickly, it's better to start at 10lbs below your max

>"If you want to work your shoulders, use a machine; OHP will fuck your back no matter what weight you use"
>>
> your feet should not be under the bar when you squat (in the smith), move them to the front

right from PT
>>
People trying to explain me that in a face pull I should aim to my lower chest, WTF bro, it's called face pull for a reason.
>>
>>35197743
Guy at my gym was doing this
>>
>>35197638
>>"Anything more than 3 minutes of running just undoes all of your cardio"

Literally what is the reasoning here?
>>
>>35197965
The guy said it was something to do with mking your legs more tired than your heart and breathing or whatever. so your body focuses on healing your leg muscles instead of improving endurance.

made no real sense
>>
File: 1448397200633.jpg (57 KB, 548x531) Image search: [Google]
1448397200633.jpg
57 KB, 548x531
>>35197638
>"You should squat in the smith machine, it helps you with form"
>"The Smith machine makes your lifts heavier by adding resistance"
> your feet should not be under the bar when you squat (in the smith), move them to the front
>machines are great for beginners, they will help you with your form and starting strength
>mfw an instructor said that
>>
>>35197965
HIIT faggots spread that shit here

you know what the benefit of HIIT is? 6% more calories burned per min if done correctly, which most people don't do.

30 min of HIIT that makes you want to die, or 32 mins on stead state medium intensity listening to a podcast. tough choice.
>>
>>35199857
>you know what the benefit of HIIT is? 6% more calories burned per min if done correctly
Where'd you read this?
>>
>>35200031
http://stronglifts.com/hiit-interval-training-fat-loss/
>>
>>35197638
What's the deal with the Smith Machine?

I never use it cause It's angled and it sucks to begin with but EXACTLY what's the difference?
Gotta start using the retarded thing since there are no other local gyms so is it best to use as a replacement for normal Barbell squats?
>>
Eat 8 McDoubles a day, gotta eat big to get big.
>>
>>35200047
Pretty good point though about 32 and 30 min.
>>
>>35199857

HIIT is the worst meme

It got invented by these workout program memesters because they realized a video of them running 30 mins isnt as exciting and engaging for people

Better let them jump around like clowns at home and pretend its more effective
>>
>>35197734
this is correct, if you are squatting in the smith machine with your legs under you it can mess up your back.
>>
Curl forward on row cables to really stretch out your back muscles that way when you yank it back you activate your spine in sequence.
I.shit.you.not.
>>
File: 1446842550843.jpg (1 MB, 1952x3264) Image search: [Google]
1446842550843.jpg
1 MB, 1952x3264
>five minute breaks between sets? that's way too long, just hurry up man

-my friend who made no gains in a year since abandoning working out with me and doing a gym program instead, thinks a 40kg squat is a big deal

my other friend also thought this was too long until getting to the point of squatting more than his body-weight, and now insists on 5 min breaks minimum
>>
>wait, are you dancing?
>it's called an active rest, you don't stop moving between your sets
>why don't you just have a normal rest like everybody else? you're such a freak!
>>
>>35200191
It is pretty long though
>>
>>35200191
I squat 2x bw and rest maybe 3 minutes between sets of 10. Granted I only weigh 160
>>
>>35197638
Literally 90% of gym advice.
Its all broscience and retardation
Even half the advice on this board is bullshit
>>
File: i dunno.jpg (103 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
i dunno.jpg
103 KB, 384x313
>>35199857
>>35200104
I guess if you're training for sports, it's not that much of a meme.
But if you're just trying to burn cals, then it might not be the best idea
>>
>abs are made in the kitchen. Don't isolate abs. Just do squats
Seriously wasted about 8 months believing this stupid shit. Abs are a muscle folks. If you want big defined abs you're going to need to grow them with hypertrophy. Low body fat is important but you can be 10% with shit abs and you will just see flat.
>>
File: 1407026170574.png (8 KB, 467x453) Image search: [Google]
1407026170574.png
8 KB, 467x453
>tfw you realized everything that gets posted on /fit/ is total bullshit
>>
>>35197638
>he's in a meeting right now, i'll have him call you back in 10-15 minutes

this was 6 hours ago

i guess i'll call tomorrow...
>>
>>35198072
Nothing wrong with machines
>>
>>35200104
>It got invented by these workout program memesters
I thought it came from watching pro athletes do lots of sprints and just copying them without knowing why they do it
Kind of like what people do for bodybuilders
>>
File: 1425703376579.gif (277 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1425703376579.gif
277 KB, 480x270
>>35200191
5 mins is pretty long if you're lifting sub 300lbs though imo (or I guess 1.5X bodyweight to be relative)

I'd say between 3 min and 5 max average is ideal in my experience
>>
>>35200070

Theres nothing wrong with mcdoubles
>>
>>35200191
Yeah with any heavy lower body I take anywhere from 3 to 8 minutes to get my mind right.
>>
>>35200680
Not as an alternative but when people never free squat and only ever squat in a Smith, that's the problem.
>>
>>35200064
If there is a cage and you can few squat, never use a Smith machine, or at least use it every so often if you wanna isolate and really increase your weight. Apart from that stay away if you have a choice. It prevents you developing any stabilizer muscles
>>
>>35197638
>"You shouldn't do biceps and triceps on the same day, because when you are working your biceps, you are stretching your triceps, so it kills all of your gains"

MFW
>>
>>35200175
getting a big stretch is a thing, guy
fine, as long as you're not using momentum to complete the movement
>>
>carbs make you fat
>crabs are bad for you
>low carb when cutting

Anything dealing with the low carb ruse of /fit/.
>>
>be me
>squatting 1-2 pl8, still warming up
>beta acne covered dude wearing a turtleneck and latex purple gloves (i shit u not) comes up to me
>tells me not to squat atg because I will slip a disk
>mfw I was only squatting to parallel
>turtleneck leaves
>watch him walk over to the Smith machine and use it for benchpress
>>
>>35200217
>Even half the advice on this board is bullshit
Just half?
ARe you new here
>>
File: Tammy.png (155 KB, 249x279) Image search: [Google]
Tammy.png
155 KB, 249x279
>>35200761
>additives, chemicals and salt content have no bearing on my health

Yeah you go ahead buddy
>>
>>35201118
>not believing actual evidence of low carbs

Tammy, you've been found out
>>
>>35201098
Duh, because one is on the front and the other is on the back, are you stupid?
>>35202386
I've heard, "Men don't run away from things!" as a justification for not being able to run 4km.
>>
>>35200070
CT Fletcher! !!!!!!!##
>>
File: WHY.jpg (37 KB, 794x794) Image search: [Google]
WHY.jpg
37 KB, 794x794
>Dude! You're not supposed to squat all the way. Stop doing that once you get to 135 lbs on your squat
>your feet are supposed to point straight, not outwards.
>>
"Man you should take "xyz supplements " their the bomb
>>
>dude you should do crossfit
>>
>>35197638
>meme images
get the actual fuck out of here
>>
>>35200191
>resting longer than 40 seconds in compounds
>enjoy your nogains you fucking pleb
>>
>you need steroids to get big

depends what you mean by big. you can build a lot of muscle natty if you eat well, train well, and get adequate rest.

people are just lazy and want to cheat. no commitment, quick fix.
>>
>you should sign up for this pro wrestling camp
>>
>>35199857
ur wrong though. there are more benefits than that.

search for "high-intensity interval training a time-efficient strategy for health promotion"

fucking 4chan system thinknig my post is spam what teh fuck
>>
>box squats will lead to back injuries
>>
File: dde.png (93 KB, 200x314) Image search: [Google]
dde.png
93 KB, 200x314
>squattting
>guy comes up to me after set
>says "can I give you some unsolicited advice?"
>look at him in silence, because fuck him
>"your form is bad"
>guy doesn't say anything else and leaves

Thanks guy
>>
File: pepe47.jpg (22 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
pepe47.jpg
22 KB, 480x480
>you shouldn't deadlift 4 plates, it's too much weight.

Coming from the guy that has been going to the gym for more that 2 years, only does body weight exercises, and literally looks like he has never lifted.
>>
>>35201134

How do you even bench in the smith machine? Don't your shoulders get impinged as fuck?
>>
Training for football during off season

>your bench press is too explosive, you need to slow down
>>
>>35203051
The thing people don't get is that different people have different goals. Bodyweight-only guy thinks 4pl8 is too much for him, so he MUST tell others too.

Opinions are like arseholes; everyone has one. It's the idiots who can't keep their idiotic opinions to themselves.
>>
>>35203089
Both Smith machines at my gym are ALWAYs busy, yet the Squat rack is usually free.

I just don't see where people are getting the information about having to use the Smith retard machine
>>
>>35203089
why would they?
>>
>>35203101
I think its because smith machine looks safer.
>>
>>35200162
how come? shouldn't the bar path be vertical anyways?
>>
>>35198009
>bro science levels bordering on the autistic
>>
>why do you do a 2 part split? I prefer "exploding" the muscle and recover it through the week
yeah, because you need 7 days to recover from a day of curls and triceps extensions
>>
>>35203114
Because in the regular bench press, the bar path isn't vertical. This reason is that in order to not impinge your shoulders, you "tuck in" your elbows to a certain extent. However, you also want your forearms to be more or less vertical to maximise the force transfer. This means that the bar will touch lower on your chest than it would if you had a vertical bar path.
>>
>>35203219
but its not exactly the bar path that causes impingement, you can still set up the smith above your chest. it will be inefficient at the top of the movement but not a big deal
>>
>>35203164
Show me a smith machine with actual vertical bar path.
>>
File: 1446910369598.jpg (64 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1446910369598.jpg
64 KB, 800x450
>cardio? no, I do HIIT. it gives me all the benefit of hours of cardio in but a fraction of the time! in a mere 5 minutes i get a far superior work out than your 40 minutes of "jogging" and "warm up". Did you know that steady state never raises your heart-rate above 50% of it's maximum? well you do now!
>>
>>35203351
>sets of 100? no, I do fives. it gives me all the benefit of hours of 100 rep sets in but a fraction of the time! in a mere 10-30 minutes depending on the exercise i get a far superior work out than your 40 minutes of "pumping" and "gaining lactic acid". Did you know that 100 rep sets never have you achieve more than 50% of full fiber recruitment? well you do now!
>>
>>35203316
>Google
my gym only has those, didn't even know other types existed
>>
>>35199857
>you know what the benefit of HIIT is? 6% more calories burned per min if done correctly, which most people don't do.
If you're doing exercising to burn calories you're doing something seriously wrong.

There is no benefit to burning more calories that can't be obtained from adjusting your diet with the same calories.

The purpose of hiit is to train your cardiovascular system, same way you do bench press to train your chest.
>>
File: RoyDuvalTheBest[1].jpg (29 KB, 469x456) Image search: [Google]
RoyDuvalTheBest[1].jpg
29 KB, 469x456
>>35203377
This is the body of somebody who does 100 rep sets as part of his program, 100 rep sets are a thing for increasing muscle glycogen storage
>>
HIIT burns 90% of calories u burn in 30 mins in 3 mins
>>
>>35203488
the body of someone who roids
>>
>2pl8 OHP
>last set
>struggling a lot
>fail my last rep
>guy comes up and says to me "Yeah bro thats too much weight, wieght doesn't really matter that much, what matter is how you do it."

what
i didnt understand
>>
>>35203514
He probably thought your form was shit, and if he was right then yeah, how much you lift should come secondary to doing it right.

Fuck, no matter when, form is always more important.
>>
>>35197638
>dont squat with your knees over your toes
>dont go past parallel when squatting or you hurt your knees
>dude you wont get any gains if you only lift 3 times a week
>you Need a much wider stance when squatting. never go closer than sholderwidth

all this from the same Little manlet sandnigger faggot PT who is atleast 30 years old and thinks the is THE SHIT
>>
>>35203488
>natty
>>
>>35203576
i doubt anyone will Progress on a lift without giving in on form. to get stronger as a natty you Need to push your limits
>>
>>35203514
You're the faggot for doing wrong form.
>>
>i dont want to look like some gym Mutant nad fuck up my Body. i just want to be fit. thats why i do freeletics... you should do it too. ist the best Programm out there atm
GTFO you spastic
>>
>>35197638

smith machine hate for squats is troll

i have done free weight squats at 410 for 7 reps

originally did 350 for 10 in smith

saw more, and better progress on my legs in smith

why?

it hits the muscle directly, while free weight, you are using a lot of other muscles to compensate

both are good. free weight for strength, smith for conditioning+size, but I went back to smith after not seeing any real difference
>>
>>35203670
>freeletics
Was it this guy/manlet? >>35196857
>>
>>35203682
oh dear, seems you fucked up your form by squatting in the smith, didn't see progress because shit form, went back to smith

confirmed for never making it
>>
>>35203685
i dunno. in my area freeletics is some uberhype where some dude who went on roids some time and afterwards promoted a System where you do as many of some bw-exercise as possible in a specific amount of time... f.e. 100 pushups in 3 seconds

ist literally just being spastic

ofc this is exhausting but ist just so fucking stupid and isnt even for free

ist like crossfit without all the barbell stuff

in my area are some small Startups all named <insert shit>-ix/ics (freeletics, herpderpix, spastics) who rent small rooms where some bitch ass nigger fuccboi instructor Shows his spastic skills with loud as fuark Music infront of Girls and pseudo fit dudes

so cringe
>>
>warming up with 2 plate
>some kid runs up to me
>h-hey you should get a belt theres belts at the front when the weights too heavy
>look at him "...oh yeah?"
>he leaves

I actually didnt know my gym provided belts
>leaves
>>
>>35199857
Are you literally retarded?
>le 6% more calories burnt than steady state
>but youre more tired and feel like you could die
End your life
>>
>>35203654
>>35203654
>>35203514
I hope this is just a parody of the thread, that you're the weird guy giving shitty advice.
>>
>>35197734

That is correct. Have you even tried squatting on the Smith Machine with your feet under the bar? It is a mess.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.