[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I took of the CDI box from my motorcycle as I suspect it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160527_144801512.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160527_144801512.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
I took of the CDI box from my motorcycle as I suspect it's faulty and I'm replacing it. Looked like this from the bottom. What the hell is that shit? I digged a bit into the bottom which is soft rubber and it's filled with that stuff.
>>
looks like gravel
wtf, did some one dropped that thing on the ground during potting (re-potting after repair?!? its not serviceable)? i doubt, even high speed, projected gravel would embed itself so neatly in that
really weird indeed
>>
I've honestly never seen anything like that
Not that I'm really in the habit of buggering around with ignition systems that often, but I've not seen it in anything else electronic!
>>
>>999464
Is the stuff that looks like gravel actually gravel? Or is it just more of the rubbery stuff?

I would guess it's just more of the potting compound and it just didn't mix right or maybe it was the bottom of the barrel.

The rubbery junk is potting compound. You pour it on electronics to protect them from vibration and moisture. It also makes them totally not servicable. There's nothing to fix because it's such a pain in the ass to remove.
>>
>>999489
>I would guess it's just more of the potting compound and it just didn't mix right or maybe it was the bottom of the barrel.

maybe they're trying to save money with gravel filler lol
>>
>>999508
If there's a 'made in china' somewhere on it, you'd bet good money the little cunts would throw gravel into a vat of plastic to save on materials
>>
>>999489
The white stuff is hard, I don't think it's plastic because I can crush it into white powder. I digged the potting compound and it's filled with that white shit.

>>999511
Nothing like that, it actually has Mitsubishi logo on the top.

I found a video on youtube where you can see the box opened up, and that one has no white stuff. Really strange.

https://youtu.be/YJ3ZkZaj2yQ?t=33
>>
>>999517
Okay I'm stupid, that's obviously from the other side.
>>
>>999517
>I don't think it's plastic because I can crush it into white powder.

could be perlite? that's cheap and takes up space
>>
File: IMG_20160527_175516728.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160527_175516728.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>999521
This stuff is a bit opaque so I don't think so. Silica maybe?
>>
>>999530
Could be any number of things-
http://machinedesign.com/materials/mineral-fillers-improve-plastics

Guess Silica is a good guess as any
>>
maybe a fireproofing material like vermiculite
>>
File: 13422430[1].jpg (28 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
13422430[1].jpg
28 KB, 400x266
>>999464
Since it's in an electronic I'm going to say it's granulated magic blue smoke. If you're careful you can use those granules to recharge other electronics that have lost theirs. It's quite valuable.
>>
>>999530
if you can crush it into a fine powder, maybe it is silica, and if I had to guess it might also help with humidity as the compound sets.
Anyway, that if odd as fuck and I've never seen it before. CDI boxes are units that have to be replaced rather than fixed.
>>
Its a thermal potting compound. you can get it at electronics places. google it.
>>
>>999616
I don't think anyone is talking about the epoxy, but rather the silica looking granules embedded in it.
twat.
>>
Shipment of meth that made it past customs and into circulation.

>been watching to many border security TV shows
>>
That's not uncommon to see on cdi units. I belive they fill them with that mixture of shit to take up excess room to avoid problems with vibration. I've seen a lot of cdi units that look like that that are perfectly fine. Cdi units rarely go bad in my experience. Don't know what kind of bike you're working on but don't consider it bad just because it looks like that.
>>
>>999530
Kinda looks like salt
>>
>>999530
yeah, that's either perlite or silica. both are common fillers put into potting compounds to take up volume and reduce price.

It looks like they just did a shitty job on the potting and didn't mix in the silica very well (it clumps and doesn't disperse if it gets wet before mixing), and then it slipped through their shitty QA process.
>>
File: Dalai-Lama-001.jpg (544 KB, 2664x1776) Image search: [Google]
Dalai-Lama-001.jpg
544 KB, 2664x1776
>>999591
Kek
>>
It's probably cocaine. Crush and snort. Post results.
>>
>>999815
Interesting!
>>
>>999511
>to save on materials

This. I've seen it before. They add gravel to use less potting mixture.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.