[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cigarette box Hey diy people of 4chan, I've saw this thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: il_570xN.931147845_d7x0.jpg (55 KB, 570x760) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.931147845_d7x0.jpg
55 KB, 570x760
Cigarette box
Hey diy people of 4chan,
I've saw this thing and would love ro build it on my own but i can't figure out how the opening mechanism could work.
It should rise when the box is opnened but how to connect the all those parts that they work together?
Can you help me?
And how is that type of opening mechanism even called?
>>
I mean you can see the entire thing right there. It's just a simple linkage. How retarded can you get?
>>
File: Femalesnarf.jpg (392 KB, 995x730) Image search: [Google]
Femalesnarf.jpg
392 KB, 995x730
>>997262
Kan u B moar snarky?
>>
Basically the big box looking faggot on the top is attached with a hinge to the base, and to the top cigarette holding nigger. Each of the cigarette holding niggers is attached to each other via those metal-rod looking kikes, so the top faggot only need to be attached to one of the niggers.
>>
>>997260
OP, I'm assuming you want to build this to hold cigars? Make sure it's Spanish cedar lined and the box will need a good seal when it's closed. You'll also want room for a humidifier such as these.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/humidification/38339/black-round-thin-humidifier/
As far as construction of the box: good luck.
>>
>>997269
Pretty much this. There just can't be a lot of tolerance between the fitting pieces. You probably want to make a mock-up of this using paper of something before you cut out the pieces.

Like >>997929 said, you'll have to have a good seal otherwise this will be kinda worthless. Honestly this might be cheaper to buy than build given the required materials and difficulty of the build if you're fairly inexperienced with woodworking which I'm guessing you are since you couldn't figure out the simple mechanism used.

If you want to do some woodworking that's tobacco related, try pipe carving. It's fun, functional and relatively easy. Also briar blocks can be picked up for relatively cheap along with prefabricated stems.

If not, good luck, anon. Post back if your project is a success.
>>
>>997260
You're right anon.
This is complicated.
You would be best making a cardboard model to try the length of each part first.
Pin it down to some wood.
>>
>>997269
>op is a dumb faggot
>helps while being a huge douche
10/10
>>
>>997929
Nah, i actually would make it to hold some cigarettes, so it doesnt has to be perfect

>>997932
I've built a pipe sime while ago, I think i was 14 then, was quite fun and it really worked, not too well but ok

>>997993
I thought about building it whith lego technics
The main problem i have is that i cna't figure out how the top piece is connected to the cap

Thanks to all of you kind anons
>>
>>998048
Probably not the way it's done but I would attach the top piece with a through dowl to act as the hinge.
Maybe even go for brass rod.
>>
>>998048
>i cna't figure out how the top piece is connected to the cap

I think can see the pin in the photo. Probably one in each side of the cap, about halfway up.
They are fitted into the top shelf, near its base (end inside the box cap). Cap opens and pulls the upper shelf up and back. Other shelves are pulled up and back by brass(?) linkages (visible).

Like >>997993 says, build a mock-up to get dimensions right.
>>
File: boxmodell.jpg (167 KB, 816x1224) Image search: [Google]
boxmodell.jpg
167 KB, 816x1224
I've now made the cardboard model. It works fine and i think i'll make it like in that pic.
>>
>>999121
Nice. Keep us updated as you make progress on it. I'd like to see.

>>997260
>And how is that type of opening mechanism even called?
Cantilever. You often see it used on toolboxes.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.