[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
filling a tiny hole
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: horn.jpg (87 KB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
horn.jpg
87 KB, 852x1136
Hello, I bought a drinking horn today from an antique store and some idiot drilled a hole in it, can some one recommend the fastest/cheapest way to fill it out, and wouldn't be noticeable too much? Thank you beforehand.
>>
meh.....very sharp knife, very fine sandpaper, scrap and sand the horn keeping the shavings and sanding dust in a pile. Tape the inside hole; mix clear 2 part epoxy with shavings and sanding dust and jamb into the hole. Scrape and sand again. Wrap a leather band around where the hole is and wala toenail tasting drinking vessel.

nearly impossible to hale it hidden but can get close
>>
Jb weld or epoxy and then paint it over with the same color as the horn.

Lowes can match the color for you, and if you know how to jb weld right, it would hardly be noticeable and still hold water.
>>
>>997119
>>997126

Not OP, but would it still be safe to drink from?
>>
>>997160
after paint is dried, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

If you die, just remember you took advice from 4chan.
>>
>>997160
>>997163
Should have also added to make sure its the poly epoxy, not the chalky bullshit.
>>
>>997119
>>997126
Rather than hiding it, wouldn't a very well-done inlay plug of mother of pearl or something look arguably better? As a craftsman and sculptor, I always find tasteful patches in flawed materials more beautiful, honest, and visually intriguing than all but the best restorations. Hell, even some of the historical restoration jobs in museum objects rub me the wrong way.

Anyway, my gut instinct if it were my horn would be to inlay 3 mother of pearl dots going up from the existing hole along the curve of the form with a 1" spacing. 5 if I was feeling spicy.
>>
>>997172
That's an idea. I repair and refurbish fridges for a living, so my gut instinct is to use epoxy and paint to seal up aesthetic blemishes like holes and and whatnot in the plastic/poly
>>
File: 1462844736827.jpg (120 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
1462844736827.jpg
120 KB, 1280x721
>>997115
Weld it with a Tig welder.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.