[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Type of Spring is This And Where Do I Get Them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: WhatAreTheseSprings.jpg (229 KB, 2151x3000) Image search: [Google]
WhatAreTheseSprings.jpg
229 KB, 2151x3000
Hey /diy/ I've been working tirelessly the past few days, trying to hand carve one of these artist's mannequins in the bottom picture. The one I'm making isn't a human model though. I bought a cheap one and took it apart to see how the joints worked, and found out it uses these neat little springs (top pic). The right side is a hook wound into a spring with a taper on the end, and the left side is a hook that has one end bent into a tiny loop. The looped end is inside the tapered part of the spring. This allows the two ends to be twisted around, independently of each other, without breaking the spring. Now my question, what are these types of springs called, and where can I purchase varying lengths of them? Googleing various searches turned up nothing. These are pretty much essential to this project, since the joints need spring tension and the ability to twist. Thanks for any insight you guys can give.
>>
>>996815
taper tension spring
>>
File: MannequinSpring.png (233 KB, 2000x1484) Image search: [Google]
MannequinSpring.png
233 KB, 2000x1484
>>996837
I wasn't finding much by looking for that, mostly just tapered springs with the end loop bent upward. These wouldn't work as the ends can't freely rotate. I drew up >pic related to better explain how the springs worked, but before I could post it, I found a website that mentioned something about a swivel hook end. These turned out to be what I was looking for, swivel hook extension springs.

Thanks a ton for your help, I would never have found them without it. Cheers.
>>
I don't know where one would buy a doll or two's worth though
>>
>>996815
You should try YouTube or even Yahoo answers
>>
>>996815
Op for future notice. A butane or propane torch. And a spool of spring steel wire (annealed) and you can make your own springs. I repair a lot of gun parts/fishing reels. I make my own springs because its actually really easy.
>>
>>997132
I'd like to know more.
How do you wind them?
Are the loops wobbley and uneven?
How difficult are smaller springs to make (~1/2in. long x ~1/8in. diameter)?
Do you heat them before winding, after, or both?
>>
>>997207
>>997132
Anon, are you still here?
>>
>>996815

Have you tried a doll makers supply yet?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.