[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Restoration of old fireestinguisher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Best way to restore it? I've already used a steel brush on it.
>>
I'm not sure what your plans are but I would never feel comfortable pressurizing it again.

your probably going to want to scrub it with steel wool or emery cloth and light oil before you prime and paint it if you just want a show and tell piece.
>>
>>996237
The plan is to have it in my boat/car/bicycle/room/whatever. I think its unused but is it possible to refill it (do people sell that stuff)?
>>
>>996238
I think anon was getting at is the tank or valve may fail from corrosion. It's a cool wall decoration, but for dependable fire safety, buy a new one. Often found at hardware stores.
>>
>>996358
How ironic if there's a leak and it causes a combustion that starts a fire that OP has no way to put out
>>
>>996236
You don't restore these. When they look bad enough to merely suggest unreliability you buy a new one. I replace mine every few years regardless of how pristine they look. Your life and property are on the line. For your sake, please dispose of it.
>>
>>996236
Sandblast it then paint.
>>
>>996236
Get a wire brush attachment for a angle grinder.
>>
>>996416
>fire extinguisher leak
>causing combustion
We need a "bizarro /diy/" reaction pic for this
>>
NFPA prevents people from inspecting any from pre 1984.

Empty the extinguisher and look inside of it.

Its a very simple tool to break down and clean.

Now I inspect them for a job and to be honest, I would sell you another one because of its age.

Now, if you want to go right about it. you need to Hydro test them at 300psi. to make sure it wont leak. But at that age and that rust it might break.
>>
Decompress it, cut in half, congratulations you have a blacksmithing smelting pot
>>
>>997474
Surely you mean whitesmithing, anon. A steel crucible is not suitable for smelting iron.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.