[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey diy. My sister dented the front of her car, and was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Hey diy. My sister dented the front of her car, and was wondering if I could fix it. She doesn't have the money to get the dents popped and repainted and it's just an older AB car so I said I'd give it a shot. Just want to make sure I have the steps in order. Obviously I know to remove loos paint and everything before hand but what I'm not sure about is how fine to sand the bondo down to, how many coats of primer, and what grit to sand thode to. Same with paint and clear coat. I'm gonna rattle can since its just an AB car but I want it to look as good as possible. I know it's all about prep just would like a little guidence.

I actually did buy a cheap electric paint spray gun from Chinafreight for the color but the primer and possibly clear will be rattle can since it's only like a corner of the bumper

Also what primer? Rustoleum makes several different primers for cars from regular to self etching ect.
>>
The bumper should be plastic. How old is the car?
>>
>>996177
You can use a hair dryer to pop the dent out. Just heat it and hit it from behind with a rubber hammer.
>>
>>996230
I think it's a 96. Def metal. Paint came off it
>>
>>996244
Still need to use glazing putty then prime paint clear though right?
>>
>>996177
Got a pic of the dent, might help give a few of us an idea of how fucked it is
>>
You can get rattle cans of spray paint matched to the original color. But your car will likely have faded since then.

It's difficult to match old paint. And I don't mean blend a spot repair. I mean a full panel will sometimes look different than the panel next to it.

If you can find a local paint shop, you can have it matched to the color that's on the car right now.
They will usually remove the mirror covers or gas filler flap to match it properly.

Basically, you will need to sand around the dent with rough grit, then apply filler and shape it with a sanding block. Them three coats of primer and a quick sand with 500grit.
Then three layers of the color/base coat with a quick 1200 grit sanding if needed, and finish off with three coats of clear coat, more sanding with 1500 and 2000 grit, then a polish with a buffer.
Skip sanding the clear coat if you don't have a buffer.

That's basically it.
>>
>>997020
Cool thanks man
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.