[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I run ethernet cables from one floor to another through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 14
File: ethernet-conduit-down.png (185 KB, 316x237) Image search: [Google]
ethernet-conduit-down.png
185 KB, 316x237
How do I run ethernet cables from one floor to another through the wall?

Do I have to cut a giant hole in the dry wall like pic related?
>>
You could look for a compatible conduit to piggyback off of. My apartment had an old TV feed from the rooftop antenna embedded in a solid concrete wall. It had already been cut and a cable TV line run in its place, so I ripped out the last remnant of the old cable and ran cat5e in its place. You can get dual-port faceplates for coaxial and RJ45, so you don't actually need to make any holes in your walls.
>>
>>995405
What is ceiling like on the floor below? If you can access the ceiling space of the lower floor, you an drill up from below and then you only need a tiny hole which you can fish the cable through.
>>
got bright red cat5 running corner of a room downstairs/up, through ceiling- was temporary, then room got painted anyway, cable got painted over - can more or less no longer see desu, unless you know its there.

Lot less hassle than your pic related, depends on your autism scale.
>>
What are low voltage gang boxes?
What are right angle drills?
What are 1/2 screw tip auger bits?
What is silicone fire sealant?
What are pumpkin cuts in drywall?
Seriously this should be fucking easy, the only thing you should really worry about is if you should use fire sealant in the rest of the hole or not
>>
>>995451
Any right angle drill recommendation for this specific task?
>>
Electrician here. You only need a hole at the top of a first floor wall and the bottom of the second big enough for your drill to put a hole in the top/bottom plates. Don't worry about a right angle drill. Fixing a 17" x 6" hole in drywall is the same work as patching a 17" x 17" hole and you get more room to work your fish tape.

Bit of advice; run all the first floor jacks up through the basement/crawl (if you have one) and drop all the second floor jacks from the attic. Use a cold air return to get the bulk of the cables from the basement to the attic so you don't have to drill any plates. If you do this then all the drywall you cut will be 3" x 2" for the boxes and all the plates that you drill will be from the attic/basement just to get a single drop to a box.
>>
>>995454

honestly, just rent one, if you are only going to use it once or twice

>>995507
>Don't worry about a right angle drill. Fixing a 17" x 6" hole in drywall is the same work as patching a 17" x 17" hole and you get more room to work your fish tape.
right angle drills allow for better control, once you use one for that stuff you'll understand why they exist

plus they tend to have better torque since you have a better grip on the tool to deliver that torque
>>
>>995522
>rent one

Does Home Depot rent them out?
>>
>>995405
Why bother? They sell products that use your electrical wiring as a carrier for Ethernet signal. Think I payed less than 20 dollars for mine and I've had it for years now. Seems easier to me
>>
>>995543
Not fast enough.

I need to put a noisy file server in the basement.
>>
>>995522
I own two along with many auger bits and do use them for drilling plates and studs but I'm in the profession. A normal drill with spade bits will work fine albeit slower and, desu, if the guy is just running some cat5 drops I don't see it as a necessity. I'd recommend buying a good auger bit before renting a right angle drill. Just my option though.
>>
>>995526
Theres things think called google.com. You got there, type in your city and state name and 'equipment rental' and it gives you the results. Often times with a little map and everything.
>>
a lot easier to run out window, along outside wall, then back in top window.
>>
>>995551
$10 for the auger bit though, renting the drill is $17 through the home depot for 4 hours

cut the holes before you go and rent the drill, drill the holes rent the drill finish your project

so $27 ain't too bad, but there are many other places to rent tools, for a the average joe, doing a project here and there, renting tools turns out to be cheaper and less of a headache, since you use better tools to get shit done

unless you use them as a hobby like for carpentry/woodworking or some other shit
>>
As a construction worker and now Systems engineer, there are many ways you can do this.
If you want a way to not punch thru your sheetrock and the wire can run along the floor, then pick a spot to pry off the baseboard. Drill a hole thru the floor for access. Cut a notch in the face of the baseboard. You're welcome.
>>
>>995585
Fuck off "paul"
>>
>>995572
people rent drills now? what the fuck..
>>
>>995937
For a decent right angle drill you'll use once or twice in your life yea those right angle attachments suck balls
>>
There might even be communal places that allow you to just borrow tools for free like books from the library.
>>
>>996075
I live in a small city.

No such thing here.
>>
Shitty way is to drill through an exterior wall run the cable down the wall then back in through an exterior wall. Cable providers do this all the time.
>>
>>996509
If you call the cable or phone company they might do it for like $100/hour, probably 2 hours. Depends if they have anyone that's comfortable wall fishing.
>>
Is there a way to tell how thick is the separation between the floors in the wall?

I imagine I'd have to cut open the drywall on both floors if it's even possible.
>>
>>996807
In the stairway but most houses are going to have 2x8 to 2x12 joists.
>>
>>995405
One thing I did ages ago was run an ethernet cable through the return duct. There's no heat so you don't have to worry, it's like a natural conduit. I popped some drop ceiling tiles, fed the cable up to the return duct, popped a hole in the duct and fed it on up to the next floor where it came out of the return vent. Sealed up the duct hole with some ductape just in case.

Worked great, did require any fucking around with the drywall, minimum effort required.
>>
>>996898
didn't* require any fucking around with the drywall.

Basically there was already a hole in the drywall for the return vent, the return vent doesn't carry any heat, it's easy to access. The job required access to the return duct through the drop ceiling on the floor below though. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>996898
>>996900
Running a wire through the metal plenum is against the fire code.

The insurance company will use it as an excuse to not pay out if your house ever catches fire and they find wiring inside the plenum in the debris.
>>
File: attic1.jpg (265 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
attic1.jpg
265 KB, 2048x1152
>>995405
>>
File: attic2.jpg (172 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
attic2.jpg
172 KB, 2048x1152
>>997425
>>
File: attic3.jpg (91 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
attic3.jpg
91 KB, 540x960
>>997426
>>
File: attic4.jpg (79 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
attic4.jpg
79 KB, 540x960
>>997427
>>
File: office1.jpg (56 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
office1.jpg
56 KB, 540x960
>>997428
>>
File: office2.jpg (68 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
office2.jpg
68 KB, 540x960
>>997429
>>
File: office3.jpg (64 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
office3.jpg
64 KB, 540x960
>>997431
>>
File: office4.jpg (65 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
office4.jpg
65 KB, 540x960
>>997432
>>
File: office5.jpg (35 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
office5.jpg
35 KB, 540x960
>>997433
>>
File: office6.jpg (28 KB, 602x960) Image search: [Google]
office6.jpg
28 KB, 602x960
>>997434
>>
File: rackroom1.jpg (45 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
rackroom1.jpg
45 KB, 540x960
>>997435
>>
>>997429
How did you fish the wires up to the attic?
>>
>>997533

Terminated into the switch in network rack pictured
>>
>>997542
But, how did you guide the wires behind the wall?

You only cut a small hole where the Ethernet port plates are going to be.
>>
>>997533

I cut a small hole in the drywall above the noggin/fire break and used a 1 in spade bit to drill a diagnel hole. I measured from the door frame for reference to use in the attic and drilled a hole throfg the top of the header. I then used fiberglass cish robs from home depot to fish the wire through. Took about 15 minutes. If you include the drywall parch and paint i used quick set mud and did 2 coats sand 1 coat sand paint. About 24 hours.
>>
>>997544

On my phone damn auto correct.

I used fishing rods to guide the wires. Get them at lowes or home depot in electrical.

The first cut is above the noggin/ firebreak and the second cut is under it for the jack. I pushed the wires down from the attic to the first cut, came down and repeated through the cut to the jack.
>>
File: fish rods.jpg (12 KB, 301x480) Image search: [Google]
fish rods.jpg
12 KB, 301x480
>>997533
>>997542
>>997544
>>997546
>>997548

Fish rods.
>>
File: out leet.jpg (18 KB, 301x480) Image search: [Google]
out leet.jpg
18 KB, 301x480
>>997544

Push the wires down. It's easier to go down from the hole in the header, then trying to go up. GO DOWN. When running cable always go down. You can drill up (I don't. I drill down), but fish down.
>>
>>995547
>380 down
>190 up
>Not fast enough
wtf are you doing anon?
>>
>>997557
It must be the wiring in my house.

I can't get decent speed using Powerline networking.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.