[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
noko
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Hi, I need to find out how to change the density of silicon glue after solidified.

Can anyone help me?

pic not related
>>
You can't just change the density of a material and hope it sticks, it's a chemical property.

Do you mean how hard it is or something??
>>
>>994399
I guess you could manipulate ambient pressure and temperature so that it increases or decreases it's volume. The mass would stay constant, boom, there's your density change.
>>
I want that the silicon glue become more softer and jelly like after it dries. It will need to stick to a magnet ball, for a experiment.
>>
>>995040
So you want silicone with a low modulus of elasticity? Then you should get something like ecoflex. Sorry, but you are better off just buying a silicone that will fit your needs than modifying what you get at the hardwarr store.

I don't understand what you mean by magnet ball.
>>
>>995051
I am going to use it in a really small quantity, less than 50ml. Buying it wouldn't be the best solution.
>>
>>995089
Well that's too bad. You aren't trying to make one of those finger magnet implant things are you?
>>
>>994399
Take this crap over to /sci/ these idiots don't know
about modulus of elasticity and polymer density.
>>
>>995093
No, just a science experiment.
>>
>>995279
Well then if you are an actual scientist, perhaps you should use the right silicone, like ecoflex.
>>
>>995326
I am a poor pos-graduation student, It isn't my field of research and it is just for a demonstration at a class. I am a teaching assistant of this class.
>>
>>995458
Cool you making a soft robot or something? Then you best use ecoflex. It would help to explain exactly what you are trying to do.

What are you using as silicone right now? Like what brand?

Ecoflex is like $30 for 2 pounds:
http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-ECOFLEX-30-Supersoft-Platinum/dp/B00CA5VY3U

Now then if you are only doing a demonstration once, perhaps you could try using alginate hydrogels, IE pretty much gelatin.
>>
>>995498
I thought about using gelatin, but it will spoil someday. The professor said I could try with polyacrylamide, but that is probably more expensive than gelatin.
I don't remember the brand, it is just regular silicon glue.
There is a experiment where the plasmatic membrane of a cell is bombarded with tiny magnets, a periodic magnetic field is applied and the magnets move, in a microscope you can study the structure of the plasmatic membrane. My idea is to show that in a macroscopic experiment.
>>
>>995504
Your professor wants you to do this but isn't giving you any money to do it?

Why not use a water balloon with magnets on it? That would approximate your cell membrane would it not?
>>
>>995509
Yeap, that is a simple solution. I am going to propose it.
Its going to look childish, but it probably will work. It wont have the same properties, because the magnetic balls of the microscopic experiments are really small compared to the depth of the membrane, but for a qualitative demonstration it might work.

Thanks
>>
File: back_to_the_future.jpg (184 KB, 720x484) Image search: [Google]
back_to_the_future.jpg
184 KB, 720x484
>>994399
I first read 'change the destiny of silicon glue'.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.