[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was literally just "because I can" entertainment.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: oldphone.jpg (626 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
oldphone.jpg
626 KB, 1632x1224
This was literally just "because I can" entertainment. I'm stationed up in Thule, Greenland and ripped an old rotary phone out of an abandoned radar building up here.

I drug the thing down to my place on main base and proceeded to splice it into a regular RJ-11 jack (yes I know this is easy to do with parts stateside but I don't have them up here). The easiest option was just to open up the phone and connect red to red and green to green. Phone wiring colors haven't changed in decades.

On first attempt I got a dial tone and could receive calls...but I didn't hear the phone ring. I found there is a special selector inside Western Electric 500 phones that dictates the ring power and moving it fixed the ring.

The final issue was calling....pulse dialing seems to be dead here (prolly has been for ages) so I grabbed a tone generator app on my cell phone and successfully dialed numbers using the app by holding it up to the receiver and dialing.
>>
>>993590
>successfully dialed numbers using the app by holding it up to the receiver and dialing.

ermm... are you sure you weren't holding it to the transmitter?
>>
>>993590
>Thule

is there a nuke beneath the ice somewhere around there?
>>
Awesome, several years ago had a fun experience watching my nephew trying to call on a rotary phone. He was working it like a push button phone.
>>
>>993590
What's that thing used for?
>>
>>993908
definitely not discussing classified information
>>
>>993908
My mom used to have one in the 90s to disconnect me from the dial up internet service.
>>
>>993998
~{po ~poz~ppo\anks for hanging up the phone, dear.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.