[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ I'm wanting to increase RPM of this motor, pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 20160514_162808.jpg (866 KB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20160514_162808.jpg
866 KB, 2656x1494
Hey /diy/ I'm wanting to increase RPM of this motor, pic related is from an ice cream maker and I find that it doesn't turn the dasher/paddle fast enough which results in in a worse product. Other than changing the gears what can I do?

All I know about the motor itself is it's 120v/60hz
>>
increase the frequency
>>
>>993530
Increase the Hz going to the motor.
>>
>>993544
>>993542
assuming I don't have direct control over the power supply how would I go about doing this, the motor plugs into the maker itself and is powered that way
>>
>>993547
It seems like the motor is actually a synchronous motor, which would be hooked strait into the 120V from the wall.
60hz sets its speed. This is how some clocks work, and stay perfectly accurate running off of 60hz from the wall.
>>
>>993547
You cant do anything, unless you have a variable frequency power supply or a spare motor that can drive it faster.
>>
>>993530
Car battery. Golf cart battery would fit in your cupboard easier but doesn't have as many amps.
>>
>>993552
Or, you could change the gears. It will be much cheaper than buying a variable frequency power supply.
>>
>>993562
You can't run an AC motor off a car battery you would need a variable frequency inverter.
>>
>>993566
main reason i wanted to avoid changing the gears is I don't know if I can find ones that would fit properly, each gear has got 2 on a rod, the large one on top then a smaller one that drives the next in the step.
>>
>>993570
if it's not obvious already i'm woefully ignorant about this sort of stuff.
>>
>>993547
>assuming I don't have direct control over the power supply
You probably cant then. When you put gears on a motor to change the speed you also change the power. If you increase the speed you decrease the power. That is to say the motor spends more of its power trying to turn gears and less is left over for the real job; turning the paddle. If you try and make it go faster it may lower the power to the point that it overworks the motor and burns it up. Most of these cheap fuckers are made so they can just barely get the job done as it is. Getting a faster motor will probably be the safest bet. Little things like that aren't expensive. Its finding one that fits that the issue.
>>
>>993671
alright, thanks
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.