[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CRAZY IDEA Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg (3 MB, 3700x2080) Image search: [Google]
Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg
3 MB, 3700x2080
Hey, /diy/nosaurs, I have an idea that I wanted to ask you about.

So I bought a couple of the NodeMCU ESP8266 Wifi Development Boards and I already know what I want to do with one of them.

I want to make a sort of "Twitch Plays" setup, but in real life with an actual controller.

Let me greentext this shit so it makes a little more sense and you can get what I want to do:

>Players connect to page that I have set up with the NodeMCU board
>A series of buttons (not toggle switches) are displayed
>When you press a button, say "A" then the "A" button on the controller is pressed.

How feasible is this with the parts I have?

I have an SNES controller, SNES, and copy of Street Fighter 2, along with a shitload of wire, jumpers, soldering iron and a ton of basic electronics like diodes and shit.

I want to solder the GPIO pins from the NodeMCU to the pads of the controller. From my research, buttons on controllers don't necessarily complete a conventional circuit. They connect to a "shift register," which registers when the switch is pulled "LOW" or to ground.

How hard would it be to make a script that, when a push button on a web interface is pressed or held, it presses or holds the button on the controller? All of the tutorials I see are for virtual toggle switches, not virtual momentary switches.

>inb4 "Anything is possible." I know anything is possible, but I want to know if it's possible with what I have.

If you guys have any other questions or tips about what I'm trying to do, please share them.

Also, feel free to share any CURAYZEE ideas you have in this thread and people can talk about feasibility and a good starting point.
>>
File: 113990105 1.jpg (107 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
113990105 1.jpg
107 KB, 700x525
Pic related is the NodeMCU, by the way.
>>
not helping until you rephrase the question with the words shipping container and/or tiny home
>>
The console is constantly polling that shift register, reading the state of the button. There's nothing magic going on. You just need what you're doing to look the same as a button press to that chip.

Tie common together between the NodeMCU board and the controller board and connect some wires from the GPIO pins to the high side of the button pad. Then just think of a momentary switch as two toggle switches back to back with a time delay between-- pull it low, wait, pull it high again. This is the easy part of what you're trying to do.
>>
>>993466

OP here.

I want to make a "Twitch Plays" system that I can play in my tiny home made from a shipping container.

>>993475
That's really helpful, actually. Thank you. Any ideas of how to make the code think that I've made such a pushbutton or is your expertise outside of programming. Either way, I appreciate your help.
>>
Easiest way is to solder wires to the controller's PCB.
>>
When I first opened this thread, I thought you were going to make 16 or so wireless controllers, connect them all to a computer, and then use the democracy/anarchy system to determine what commands are pushed through.

tl;dr, I thought you were making an IRL twitch plays thing.
>>
hmmmmmmm keeping my eye on this thread
>>
I am like OP. I have never seen a momentary button interface. It is always toggle switches. Anyone have any coding ideas?
>>
>>994864
>I have never seen a momentary button interface
lordy lord lord, it's practically the same thing. Just add some debouncing code and you're good.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.