[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to do Cheap Gauss rifle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
How to do Cheap Gauss rifle?
>>
>>992441
How to do Gauss rifle at all?
>>
>>992441
Install gentoo.
Ramp up drive RPM in fstab
???
Gauss cannon.
>>
>>992441
>using a nonferrous coin in an electromagnetic weapon

Not like that.
>>
>>992441
It won't be cheap, won't be a rifle, will be too hard for you and won't be useful for anything other than bragging rights.

>>992457
>induction
>>
>>992441
Go to the Northwest area of the map, before you get to the road to Jacobstown, there's a campsite just north of the burned caravan. It's got a bunch of mercenary type folks, one of them has a unique named GR. Kill them and take it. Free gauss rifle, can't get cheaper then that. Doesn't work if you took the Wild Wasteland trait through. the mercenaries are replaced by aliens..
>>
>>992494
>Doesn't work if you took the Wild Wasteland trait
FUCK
>>
>>992490
>>induction

Gauss/coil guns do not work with non-magnetic projectiles, at least not ones of arbitrary design. They're based strictly on magnetic attraction.

This is the reason one of the methods being pursued into making them more powerful/efficient is working out inductive projectiles that skirt the issue of magnetic saturation.

He's shooting washers, not coins, if I remember right.
>>
>>992442
>>992441
You can do it /fairly/ inexpensively if you make most of the components and the controller yourself. You will however need a beefy SCR and optical sensor (or two if your control scheme is simplified) for every stage you want to do, so cost increases linearly with power. The overall schematic for it is fairly straightforward. Just drop a shitload of current across your hand-wound coil from a recycled microwave or CRT cap when the projectile enters the field (triggered by optical sensor) and then off again when it's >50% through the coil. Not too bad. The expense isn't the limiting factor, it's the astronomical amount of time it takes to tweak and change and plan and wait for new parts to come in the mail and deal with the roller coaster of emotions like "wow! It works! Let's increase the current! Ofucknoitsonfire"
>>
>>992457
Cents are actually made of copper covered steel, only old pennys are 100% copper
>>
>>992548

US pennies are made of copper-plated zinc, not steel.

>>992544
>recycled microwave or CRT cap

Not really want to you want. Voltage too high, capacitance too low. Powerful coil guns almost always run in the hundreds of volts, not thousands.

OP's is actually unusual in that it runs directly off a small battery pack. This has the advantage of being able to fire repeatedly without recharging, but requires a more complicated control scheme and is much weaker than one driven by a capacitor bank.

That's not to say you couldn't make a powerful one with batteries, but such a pack would have to be quite large to supply the necessary current. Not to mention the hazards naturally posed by high-voltage battery packs.
>>
Is it viable to use recycled copper wire? Seems wire is the most costly part of a coilgun with multiple stages.
>>
>>993330
No. You need lacquered wire. Bare copper will short, and if you use recycled wire there's a huge chance the insulating lacquer will be damaged, ruining your end product. Also:
>Seems wire is the most costly part
HAHAHAHA
>>
Combine bb gun with gauss and get up to rifle speeds!
>cost 10k
>>
File: railgun-8[1].gif (23 KB, 401x400) Image search: [Google]
railgun-8[1].gif
23 KB, 401x400
rail gun.
>>
what about capacitors instead of metal driven bateries?
>>
>>993654
>metal driven bateries
Huh?

Capacitors are what's usually used for coilguns. Batteries only work for multiple stage ones because you can't make a 200+V battery stack without the internal resistance ruining everything. Not to mention a high voltage battery stack would be so much more dangerous than a capacitor stack.
>>
>>992540
like how they use iron powder cores in inductors?
>>
>>994048

Not really. Inductor cores don't really have the magnetic saturation as an "issue" per-se. If you hit that point, you can simply move up to a larger inductor. While you can do the same with a coilgun, that increases the weight of the projectile as well, so, while you can put more energy into the projectile, you don't gain any muzzle velocity.

Inductors use powder/laminations in an effort to reduce eddy currents that reduce the efficiency of the inductor. Eddy currents aren't all that big a problem for coilguns, since, ideally, they're in a constant magnetic field and there aren't any such currents induced. In reality, there are significant changes in flux with the associated eddy currents, but these are not overly problematic in terms of simply loading more energy into the projectile; simply increase the strength of the applied magnetic field.

The effects of magnetic saturation are much more significant; above a given flux density, a ferromagnetic material's magnetization can't really be increased through exposure to a more powerful magnetic field. You can still brute-force it, thanks to vacuum permeability, but with drastically diminished returns of about 0.1% the pre-saturation effectiveness. Ferrite/laminated projectiles don't really help with this because, being ferromagnetic materials themselves, they will saturate just as readily as a solid one.
>>
>>992441
[ ] Cheap
[ ] Gauss rifle

Choose one.
>>
>>992441
I remember being into this a while ago.

Some kid made one with a laptop battery and it was pretty cool. Was able to shoot through a tv iirc, a crt tv cause this was around 6 years ago
>>
>>994097
Front of a CRT? Because I remember throwing hammers at them and the hammers would lose.
>>
>>992454
I didn't know /g/ memes were on this board
I already feel at home
>>
>>994286
Can't find the video, but I remember he made a coil gun with a laptop battery, had enough charge for 2 or 3 shots iirc. And he was testing it in his backyard and he shot an old tv.

Probably not crt, but this was years ago so I can't remember all the details exactly.
>>
>>994468
>>994097
>>994286
>>
>>994092
I choose you, anon.
>>
Go break a branch off a tree and attach a rubber strip because that's as close as you're going to get idiot.
>>
>>994633
Y
>>
>>992457
You can induce a magnetic field in conducting projectiles.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.