[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
vented clothes dryers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
We have a vented clothes dryer (Euroanon here) and the electricity cord gets hot after use. What could be the problem? Bad vent system? Some old/faulty condensator? The whole thing?
I just want some opinions before I haul that huge thing to a service center.
>>
It would suggest a high current draw and high resistance between the socket and the motor.

Is it being over loaded? Is any of the power cable coiled or bunched up?
>>
>>992422
Hot wires are almost always the result of using a smaller gauge wire than the rated electrical load of the device.

Find a replacement power cord with heavier gauge wire. Take off the back panel (while unplugged) and unscrew the old one and replace it with the new one
>>
>>992422
How many watts is it pulling down?
Lot of this stuff with the cord getting hot could be that the connectors in the socket (wall) are old and shitty, or the cord itself has some kind of problem where the wires have been kinked and broken.
>>
>>992424
>>992425
>>992426
Well it shares an outlet with my parents clothes washer in the basement, so it gets taken out and put back in at least twice a week for the last... Five years or so. Yeah my parents could just get a splitter for the outlet but you know how old people are like... Gonna have it checked out, but it just might be the constant stress on the cord...
>>
>>992427
Guess a simple stress test on the wall socket could be plugging a fan heater or something which drags down 2-3000W and then see if its cord heats up inordinately after about 20min or so.

Not going to shit you, hot cords are pretty dangerous and cause fires.
>>
>>992429
I know I know - they got frightened a bit as well, they're quite reasonable whet ot comes down to important stuff. So could I turn on a hair dryer for a couple of minutes, and if the cable gets warm then its probably the outlet, if not then its the clothes dryer? If I got it right
>>
>>992431
>If I got it right
Yep

its normal for some appliances to get a bit warm (heaters, hair dryers and stuff), but it should only get slightly warm to the touch at most.
>>
>>992422
>electricity cord gets hot after use.
How hot is hot? 'Warm in your hand' or can't touch it or it will burn'? If the former, thats fine. Warm is okay. If the latter, yeah, there is a problem.
>>
>>992422
>the electricity cord gets hot after use.
if it gets hot after use then its nothing to do with a bad wire or outlet.
if its a bad wire or outlet it would heat up during use, not after.

how hot is hot? chances are you are just being a fucking pussy. if you can comfortably hold on to it then its not going to spontaneously combust. you have smoke detectors and an extinguisher anyway right?
>>
>>992422
you could be drawing 3.5kW on high heat setting, so the flex getting warm is expected, especially if it's only 1.5mm2.

3093Y flex can operate safely at 85ÂșC so unless the wire's literally smoking and the socket is turning brown you don't have a problem.
>>
>>992426
>How many watts is it pulling down?
This is what I would wonder first off.

Get a power meter such as a Kill-O-Watt, and measure the current draw/power when the cord gets hottest. Then you can email the manufacturer and ask them if that is an unusually high amount or not, for that stage of use of the appliance. It is highly unlikely they will lie to you about the matter in an email.
>>
OP here with an update;
The problem is solved. We opened up the back and pulled out like a whole 10L bag full of dusty hair, nails, pennies and paper. Looks like the exhaust was totally clogged like an old vacuum cleaner, fucking horrible. After cleaning it, obviously the heater doesnt get much resistance and the cord isnt hot. Thank you guys
>>
>>992859
How the fuck did it get that bad.
I know the eurofags get lax with the machinery but that just horseshit
>>
>>992881
Old people, shitty memory. You gotta understand that that kind of electronics wasnt accesible in eastern Europe for some time after the fall of communism, and still a long time after, it was fucking expensive. So they dont have a feeling for it.
>>
>>992917

Normally people maintain the things they revere. Granted they probably didn't read the manual.

For that matter I can't imagine how bad a translation from Chinglish to Euroslav would be.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.