[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The red parts are 18 gauge (1,2mm) 20mmx20mm tubing and the green
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: untitled.35.jpg (208 KB, 2560x968) Image search: [Google]
untitled.35.jpg
208 KB, 2560x968
The red parts are 18 gauge (1,2mm) 20mmx20mm tubing and the green ones are 40mm x 40mm (also 18 gauge).

I'd also probably bolt it to the floor to add stability.
>>
File: 1.jpg (123 KB, 1280x968) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
123 KB, 1280x968
Dimensions.
>>
>>992274
Well, since you never asked a question in your post, I'll just stick to pointing out that this is a terrible design.

You have absolutely nothing on it which will make it the least bit stable. Put some form of bracing on it, otherwise all of the legs are going to rotate and twist with respect to each other. Put crossbracing (diagonals) connecting the legs together in the long direction, and at least put cross bracing on each end in the small direction.

Also, the bar you have connecting the legs together near the bottom is the least efficient option you could have. The bar isn't making the legs any stiffer, you should really have two bars, one on either side.

If it's fully welded, it will have some stiffness, and might get the job done for what you need it to do (maybe) but it is still a bad design. You could get the same stiffness at a fifth of the weight if you make it better.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you are considering bolting it down, it sounds like you need it to be good, and the bottom line is this needs work.
>>
I think it's overkill unless you're gonna be taking apart a V8 on it or something, but as anon says
>You could get the same stiffness at a fifth of the weight if you make it better.
>>
File: 2.jpg (148 KB, 1280x969) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
148 KB, 1280x969
>>992298
Thanks for the frankness, I'd appreciate if you could draw on the following picture what you would suggest to make it more structurally rigid.

By the way, my original question was: How sturdy would this workbench be?
>>
>>992298
OTT way of saying you're taking out of your ass.

>>992421
Add opposing diagonal braces on the sides along the length and it will be solid.
>>
File: sketch-1463101198253.png (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
sketch-1463101198253.png
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>992421
Sorry for the poor quality image, I'm on my phone and I didn't want to dick around with getting my computer out.

Anyway, I'd suggest you start with the red braces, (I'd just use the smaller of the types of tube you are working with). This should be plenty sturdy. If however, you build it and it's not quite as stiff as you want, I'd suggest adding the blue ones.

Also, a suggestion for you, I've built a similar table to this before, and I put wire deck on the bottom parts (where I have that terrible looking purple shit) which works great for storage.

For those people that look at this and ask why I didn't suggest putting braces on both sides of the table, a) it's overkill, especially with the size of tube OP is using b) this way you can store stuff under the table

Good luck OP!
>>
>>992675
I agree with the mesh shelving, but everything else this guy said is retarded.
>>
>>993766
How so? It will absolutely work, and be orders of magnitude stiffer than the original.
>>
>>992675
Are you an engineer? You managed to overcomplicate a design that was fine to begin with.
>>
>>994091
Yes. And while the original table is functional, it wouldn't be stiff, and it wouldn't be good for doing heavy work.

OP made it seem like those are legitimate design constraints, so why not actually make it functional for that?

And if you think this is over complicated, that's pretty pathetic.
>>
>>992274
make Jamie Hynemans nesting tables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1jeViV4l8
>>
>>994126
>projecting this hard
You'd have a better argument if you added more cross braces to it
>>
>>994135
Do you know how stiff the sections he's using are? After adding those braces, the extra stiffness you'd get from adding more is not a whole lot. Diminishing returns and all that jazz.

Not to mention it would mean you couldn't use the table for storage.
>>
>>994147
Youre reading comprehension needs more cross braces as well, it's very weak
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.