[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I would like to make a bedframe with storage in it, like picture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
I would like to make a bedframe with storage in it, like picture related (but not the god awful color). It will be for a single (twin) size bed. I want the cubbies to to go all the way through, from one side to the other, across the bedframe. I want to be able to store some rather long boxes in there so they will need to be at least 10 inches wide, 13 inches tall and however deep a mattress is wide. I would like the cubbies to not have any obstructions inside of them but I am concerned this will weaken the design and cause it to rack on me over time. Will have the single 'open' cubby and the foot of the bedframe be enough to keep it strong over the years? Standard plywood, screw and glue construction will be used.
>>
File: wood-bed-frame-plans-3.jpg (188 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
wood-bed-frame-plans-3.jpg
188 KB, 1152x864
maybe I'm missing something but why wouldnt you just build a normal bedframe and store the boxes underneath?
>>
File: comic_book_long_box[1].jpg (24 KB, 600x697) Image search: [Google]
comic_book_long_box[1].jpg
24 KB, 600x697
>>992162
I like the look better. Also my floors are carpet and the boxes wouldn't be as easy to slide around. They are that multilevel carpet stuff that was popular in the 70's and 80's. Thats what I do now and its causing the boxes to come apart. They are only made of cardboard. Picture related.
>>
>>992156
this is the IKEA FLAXA

no dividers, just 3 walls and a single, huge open space.

The walls are 1" particleboard (MDF) and its plenty to support the weight of 2 people.
>>
>>992189
But you could just have a normal bed frame and then the structural strength of the boxes wouldn't matter, as long as they hold their own weight up, as the frame would be holding the bed up.
>>
>>992192
this is a shorter variant of the FLAXA with drawers

this version has a single divider which cuts the space long-ways in half, between the two drawers
>>
>>992192
>>992194
I would like to build it so that the middle area is accessible from both sides of the bed.

>>992193
I basically already have a bed frame like you are describing. The bed is not currently resting on the boxes, its the dragging of the boxes on the carpet that is wearing down their bases. So I would like to have the boxes on smooth wooden surfaces like in my original picture. I could just put a something under the boxes for them to slide on but I think that is ugly and I want to make something like looks nice.

Can anyone answer my original question?
>>
>>992156
If each cubby is about a foot wide it will be plenty strong enough. just make sure that the walls are stiff enough that they won't fall over.
What I would do is:
Use one or two large plywood boards on the bottom
Screw in the boards that will make up the side walls of your cubbies (leaving 2 1/2 inches of space between each)
Cut 2x4s the same height as the walls and put 3 or 4 of them between each set of cubby walls
Screw the 2x4s to the walls (now the walls should be pretty stiff)
Put one or two plywood boards over the top and screw it into the 2x4s/cubby walls
>>
>>992197
If you have a frame you could go with the ugly cheap sheet of plywood or shower wall on the floor under the bed. Then make removable panels that hook onto the side of your current bed frame. This is the cheapest solution that meets your requirements I think. The only hard part is making the panels look good.
>>
Honestly go and get some cheap side mounting fixed casters from lee valley for under $2 a piece
Get some 1/2 mdf and some 1x1 angle steel and maybe some hinges

Make you boxes glue the mdf with rabbet joints and paint your boxes any color you want
Then put the angle steel on the bottom edges(you can do all of the edges if you want just don't attach the top to the sides) and drill through them and use short enough pan head screws you don't need a ton of them
Then drill though the steel angle and mount the casters

You can paint the steel angle to, you can also buy the stuff they use on the edges and corners of musical equipment cases if you want to give it a better look. You can also mount the caster inside the box just cutting openings for them but make little covers for them so shit doesn't crawl into your nice new storage totes

And if you built them well enough they also function as short benches or stools

You can also laminate them but your colors are limited to just black and white or some other awful colors unless you send a ton and get some custom made for you or even just shipped to you since those sheets are fucking fragile

You can also do the poorman's laminate and use tempered hardboard hell if you can find the thicker tempered hardboard you could built the boxes out of that and just make a bed frame out of decent 2x4's

Hell i grew up sleeping on a bed made out of 2x4's it lasted 30+ years sure it ain't too pretty now but nothing a bit of glue and refinishing couldn't fix
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.