[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dry Stone / Dry stack construction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: shieling outside.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
shieling outside.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
Hi /diy/

I plan on building a dry stone hut or shieling (pic related) as they are known in my neck of the woods. I was wondering if anyone here has any good sources of information on dry stone constuction or better yet has first hand experience and can give me some tips an advice.

Right now what my plan entails is and interior area of 2 by 2.5 metres witha fire place and chimmney.
>>
Jesus, they are known as tombs around here. You sure you want to kill yourself that bad?
>>
File: IMG_20160507_121309527_HDR.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160507_121309527_HDR.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
>>992039
It does look a little grim with all the over grown grass and I'll maintenance. Here is a picture from the inside.
>>
>>992079
He means that it doesn't look stable and might fall apart, killing the person inside.
>>
>>992079
Jesus, even the stove looks terrified. :D

Srry, can't help you OP.
I live in prime US earthquake country; dry stone construction doesn't do for anything around here.
>>
File: rip.jpg (74 KB, 586x602) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
74 KB, 586x602
>>992079
yeah, no
>>
>having a landscaping company
>build drystone retaining walls often
>started learning the trade with 1 YouTube video and no other training.
>can think of many way of constructing a house

Tell us where your /diy/ power level is at. If you have none you are better off hiring someone.
>>
>>992007
I've never really seen dry stone wall used for a house mainly just for walls at the side of the road. I'd just use some mortar drystone walling can be pretty difficult.
>>
>>992007
Name one advantage this has over using mortar.
>>
I done some stonemasonry work. Just use mortar you hipster fuck, drystone actually takes some skill and knowledge. Mortared stone on the other hand you could just throw up. Or if you've got any sense you'd build it from normal blockwork like a normal person, but no doubt you're a bearded hipster fuck and that would be far too straightforward.
>>
>>992007
In the US, most dry stone construction is old stuff in New England, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Directly descended from the English/Scots/Irish that settled those areas.

I read a book years ago, written by an old timer from New Hampshire. It was mostly about drystone walls, but he also had quite a bit on drystone foundations for cabins and barns. Tried to find the book online, but I can't remember the details.

>>992661
Cost.

>>992663
>just use mortar you hipster fuck
There's no need to be hateful, or ignorant.

My impression was that OP was trying to experience & preserve a part of his heritage.
>>
>>993260
Mortar isn't that expensive, compared to the fact that such a building will almost certainly fall on your head. Not to mention that you would have water and air coming through the walls at all times, making you cold wet or hot and always miserable.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.