[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it better to build your own house if you want to live in a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Is it better to build your own house if you want to live in a very rural middle-of-no-where area?

I'm thinking of moving to Montana, but most of the houses are either really overpriced or they look like shacks and almost all of the properties are way too close to towns. I want to live somewhere that's far enough away from other people that I can just be left alone to shoot on my property at any time without bothering other people.

I'm thinking of just buying some land and going with something that's cheap, sturdy, and easy to build. I've been hearing a lot of good things about ferrocement dome houses lately.

Anyone have some experience with ferrocement or something else that's sturdy and easy to build with?
>>
1st of all I'm not an expert, but why do you want to build cement house? Do you plan to move there permanently? I'm not sure if this type of house wuld be a nice place to be in, I would feel like in a bunker.

Maybe think about building log cabin first?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHXNWJj8cus
>>
Ferrocement is bitchass, just make sure it's covered in good insulation against damp, both ground and ceiling/walls
Loads of windows a must (roofs included) - you will need LOTS of light not to feel like in a burrow.

Also, consider this - http://earthship.com/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-UawJo5blU&list=PL3F06C35DB74DBD2D

Build a cabin
>>
>>991976
Just build a house with conventional materials, it's the cheapest and most effective option. That's why literally every developer does it. I've seen people frame houses in a matter of a week or two, which isn't terrible, and it would be much easier to work with utilities than concrete. (Fuckin ferrocement sounds silly as fuck, it's just concrete. It's like calling a poster a two-dimensional text and image transfer device)
>>
>>991976
Where in Montana? There are certain areas where housing is expensive as fuck because of all the rich idiots who come here to "experience the wilderness," but thats certainly not the case for the majority of the state.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.