[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am looking to build a house out of plastic, kind of like legos.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10
File: Lars_moisture_farm.png (1 MB, 1917x575) Image search: [Google]
Lars_moisture_farm.png
1 MB, 1917x575
I am looking to build a house out of plastic, kind of like legos. For many reasons, plastics last forever, cheap, ETC. I am looking for anyone who might have any knowledge about such things, construction advice or plastic advice. Star wars episode 2 has houses made out of plastic and can be made to look like anything you want.
>>
>>991455
It's be excessively expensive, not cheap. And the strength/stiffness of most plastics would mean every part of the house would have to be oversized compared to any other material.

Let's go over the advantages:
Novelty- yes, it would be moderately interesting
Longevity- I guess, but a decent wood frame house will probably outlive you just as easily.
That's literally it.

Disadvantages:
Extremely expensive
Difficult to find/make suitable materials
Incredibly inefficient materials (picture a PVC pipe compared to a steel pipe, there's no comparison)
Pieces would be difficult to effectively connect/bond together
There are no design codes you could follow for plastic construction

And let's not forget the biggest reason of all why it won't work.... Fire.

If your house burned down, it would probably A) melt around you and collapse before you could escape and B) kill your entire neighborhood with noxious fumes.
>>
There is usually a lot of plastic in modern construction. Rigid foam board insulation, damp proof courses, vapor membranes, roofing membranes. If you had tons of money to blow you could create something crazy with ETFE. However you still make the structure out of wood, concrete, steel or masonry.

For a cheaper option, look up things you can do with Polycarbonate cladding. Lets a lot of light in while still maintaining a level of privacy due to its translucency.
>>
>>991469
http://www.pyromeral.com/
would solve the fire problem...not really plastic tho.
>>
Monolithic dome is what i imagine those would really be. Inflate a plastic bubble, build rebar cage around or inside it, spray shotcrete.

If i had any reason to settle inthe desert id make a littlw mos eisley hut for myself. Instead im going geodesic probably hub and strut
>>
File: Futuro_House.jpg (263 KB, 1144x858) Image search: [Google]
Futuro_House.jpg
263 KB, 1144x858
Well, this is made of glass reinforced plastic instead of the plain stuff (duh), but melting and burning aren't really that big problems. It does rot to a certain degree, though.

- It was relatively cheap when it came (before the oil crisis), but I guess smallish 8m / 9yd diameter was a big part of that.
- The materials were pretty normal and easy to find. Boats are made of the same stuff.
- No idea what you mean with "inefficient material". It had good thermal insulation and was easy and quick to heat, though.
- They were meant to be built in middle of nowhere. Most parts were premade and then bolted together on site.
- Yes, codes would probably be a problem.

Btw, this was a commercial failure, largely due to ugliness. Massive increases in plastic prices during the oil crisis didn't help either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futuro
>>
>>991487
Also

>etfe

Dis nigga knows
>>
>>991455
like this, OP?
http://www.i-domehouse.com/

it's a very strong foam material that they plaster over. weather and earthquake proof, though I'm unsure about pricing or longevity in certain climates.
>>
>>991455
Plastic breaks down in the from the sun, do you have a plan for that?
>>
>>991455
>I am looking to build a house out of plastic, kind of like legos.
Ever wonder why you don't see plastic houses alot? it's not a good building material.
>For many reasons, plastics last forever, cheap, ETC.
pure conjecture and wishful thinking.
>I am looking for anyone who might have any knowledge about such things, construction advice or plastic advice.
Good luck you won't find them here.
>Star wars episode 2 has houses made out of plastic and can be made to look like anything you want. [citation needed]
the ones in the picture you posted are a real place in Tunisia (or were before ISIS destroyed them). They were made out of mud brick and plaster not plastic. Also Star wars is a movie not real life.
>>
>>991855
/thread
also plastic breaks down after 2-3 years of UV light and becomes really really weak and brittle, Ive made 5-6 sculptures out of plastic, everything that is in the open is tuto finito
>>
>>991455

There are only certain plastics that have UV resistances to any degree and even then they need to be kept treated to protect them.

Or you could paint it i guess. They still tend to degrade out of sunlight but definitely not as quickly.
>>
>>991455
Is plastic cheaper?

>5 seconds in yahoo.

A 2 meter by 1 meter 9mm thick sheet of ply is £20
A 2 meter by 1 meter 8mm thick sheet of acrylic is £98
>>
File: disaster-debris-lego-blocks-2.jpg (79 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
disaster-debris-lego-blocks-2.jpg
79 KB, 880x660
http://www.elitereaders.com/disaster-debris-lego-houses-mobile-factory/
>>
>>991866
neat idea, but not plastic.
>>
maybe you dont have building regulations where you are OP, I wish you luck in your lego land.
>>
Build it out of 6 in thick polycarbinate so your whole house is bullet proof.
>>
File: conflictFlatpacksS_2665633a.png (265 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
conflictFlatpacksS_2665633a.png
265 KB, 620x388
>>991455
Have you heard about the Ikea Better Shelter?
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 537x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 537x420
It doubles as a container for water or rice, then once empty you pack it with dirt and start building.
>>
>>992312
This is one of the least practical things I've ever seen,
>>
>>991866
Recycling concrete into locking blocks is an interesting idea, though the fuckwads don't show any equipment details on their website.

The design still relies on gravity and should be modified to allow installation of rebar.

Basically another concrete block, and those are pretty reasonable and last a long time. So do precast concrete structures. ICF is worth a look too.
>>
File: 14633536362111724074748.jpg (2 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
14633536362111724074748.jpg
2 MB, 1456x2592
Utilizar bloks y concreto. Bases plásticas en cimientos.
>>
File: bottlehouse1.jpg (294 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bottlehouse1.jpg
294 KB, 800x600
How about... Plastic bottles? It's a pretty simple process.
>>
File: bottlehouse2.jpg (432 KB, 1050x600) Image search: [Google]
bottlehouse2.jpg
432 KB, 1050x600
>>994084

There's a project that's using rebar and filling it with bottles:
plasticbottlevillage.com/
>>
You will never get a building permit for these pieces of shit, never get them insured and never be legally allowed to raise children in these in most places in the EU or North America.
>>
>>994052

gracias senor beanerino
>>
>>991455
OK, plastic is durable to a degree but you need to take another look at this. First, your probably thinking about legos. Legos stay inside and dont take a beating from the elements. Of course they hold up in doors, but have you ever had any of that plastic lawn furniture? Its made to be kept outside, and you have to replace it every few years. Imagine a entire house baking in the sun, and being snowed on every year. It wont last long. As far as the houses in episode 2 your wrong. They may have had prop houses, but the real house used in the close up shots is still standing and its NOT plastic. You can still visit it. Its made of a concrete type material. I have seen houses made of plastic bottles, but sheets of plastic? No way. Another example is the plastic kid houses. Ask anyone who has ever had one.
>>
>>994096
To be fair, Lego bricks are made of ABS. ABS is one of the more durable plastics. It is rated for out door light exposed plumbing.
>>
File: 545_Picture2.jpg (46 KB, 545x424) Image search: [Google]
545_Picture2.jpg
46 KB, 545x424
2-Story, 2,935 Sq.Ft. Dome - Mantachie, MS
Its fiberglass. Prefab modular structural panels. Seen one go up, was fast. Its not what I would call a castle though, but is one of the closest example that are actually being used as living space and legal... you want lego blocks style? That will take a lot more $$ than these dome houses... DomeVillage was a project made with this kind of structures.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.