[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: ForumRunner_20150615_235537.jpg (8 KB, 158x280) Image search: [Google]
ForumRunner_20150615_235537.jpg
8 KB, 158x280
How do all yall metal workers/welders get your metal? I've been getting my flat bars from home depot but I figure there's a better place.
>>
>>990650
Grainger has some stuff and they usually have a local store just about anywhere in the country (US).

Google metal supply for online resources like http://www.speedymetals.com/
>>
>>990650
Around where I live there are a couple of places I go, a steel fabricator and a steel recycling place. They are both local so there's not much point in going into details.

I can go there and get 20 ft of steel (in pretty much any possible shape and thickness) for less than the cost of getting 3 ft at Lowe's or Home depot.

Look for steel distributors in your area in the phone book or online.

Please, please stop buying from hardware stores, you are literally robbing yourself, throwing money down the drain.
>>
Stop buying material from a hardware store. Find a local metal supplier. The selection will be much better and with lower prices.

I live in Ontario and I use Golden triangle speciality metals, production metals, and metal supermarkets.

http://metalsupermarkets.com/
http://charlemagnemedia.ca/wordpress/?page_id=49
>>
>>990681
This, they're also nicer and more knowledgeable.

Also you can try going around a day before garbage day and picking up metal people are throwing away. I've picked up some nice things that way.
>>
>>990650
I get most of my metal as scrap from work, for which I pay scrap price. I.e. stainless pipe from work is cheaper for me than mild steel angle iron from a steel distributor, which leads to a different look for most of my home projects. For you, I would recommend asking local steel distributors for cutoffs, or fab shops for scrap. If you need something larger (that you're unlikely to find as a cutoff), get it from the distributor.
>>
>>991419
Thanks for the advice guys! There is a metal yard somewhat close by so I'll have to go there some time. Oddly enough, I do keep an eye out for stuff on the side of the road but I barely see any scrap metal.

>>991812
My job is next to a machine shop that does welding and CNC, I'll have to ask them if they've got any they'd be willing to sell.
>>
Scrap yard to make scrap metal artwork
>>
>>990681
Even local metal suppliers are overpriced shit, especially metal supermarkets who pull prices out of their ass depending on how much they like you. I've been quoted $60 for a piece of steel and when the forewoman talked to them she got quoted $36.

Find a metal shop that sells their offcuts, they'll normally get scrap value for them anyways which is almost nothing. I found a nice place in toronto to get aluminum bar offcuts, got a bunch of stuff for like $30 which those assholes at metal supermarkets would charge like $120 for.
>>
I see a lot of bed frames being thrown out. That angle iron is useful.
>>
>>993669
I work in a metal shop, that's why I was suggesting those places.
I suppose if all your looking for is a few offcuts of Scrap, a machine shop would be a good place to ask. If you came into my shop I could probably fill your trunk with small cut of bits of metal.
But if your looking for lengths of material for an actual project, a local metal supplier is the way to go.
>>
Find a good junkyard. I have one here close to myself that has all kinds of wonderful stuff, ranging from scrap to 6m stock. For larger amounts it's a steel supplier that brings it to my yard with a truck.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.