[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
House remodeling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
Sup dyI, so long story short. I bought a house that was foreclosed on. Has roof problems and mold issues. Any tips or advice on getting it in livable condition?
>>
Tear it all apart, burn it, and build a new house on the foundation.
>>
That would be way to expensive.
>>
Fix the roof dummy
>>
>>990563
New roof ill probably run you 15000 at a minimum if you're hiring a qualified roofer. Mold issues are tricky but you gotta stop feeding the mold so all waterproofing should be top priority. Removing / gutting interiors that are damages by mold and replacing with new finishes will go a long way. how extensive is the damage?
>>
I'm currently getting the roof fixed. Gonna cost me about 5 grand since it only needs a bit of work. I'm mostly wondering if any of yall have advice on removing mold without the spores spreading to the rest of the house.
>>
Damage is contained to 1 room and the attic directly below the hole in the roof. The wood has dried out since they put a tarp on it and it's not rotting tho that is a concern, anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse in the time being?
>>
depends on the mold. if its black mold and inside the walls you need to
run several dehumidifiers and an ozone generator 24/7.
>>
First you're gonna want to get the roof fixed which could be as simple as reflashing some parts of the roof. Where is the damp/mould?
>>
>>990586
Sorry >>991091 here didn't see your post you're going to want to strip all the carpets in that room remove any drywall that's infected and spray the fuck out of everything with bleach.
>>
>>991094
I'm going to be stripping the carpet out of every room anyway, stuff is from the late 50s. If I do what you say how can I prevent the mold spores from spreading? Fan in the window blowing outside?
>>
>>991167
Spray bleach everywhere soak the carpet in bleachy water kind of wash the whole room before you start that should be enough to kill the majority of the spores. but I wouldn't bother until your roof is fixed that is probably the reason for your damp.
>>
don't use bleach, use vinegar instead. then air the place out.
>>
>>991343
vinegar a shit unless you get that industrial grade stuff.

bleach will kill anything

vinegar not so much
>>
>>991347
what the fuck are you even talking about? you could in theory use ANY vinegar, but distilled is the most recommended. vinegar actually kills mould and the spores of the majority of mould species, bleach simply bleaches the colour.

if you want to up vinegar's stopping power, add baking soda.
>>
>>991468
jesus this board is bad.advice.2016.H264.AAC.720p.BRrip.mkv
>>
I have access to hospital grade disinfectants. Would that work as well? Says it kills just about everything, not sure about mold.
>>
okay...not be ball lick, but I have a few questions first. Are you doing the roof yourself as well?

Is this consistent water damage? or just the occasional rain damage?
You need to establish that first and foremost. If this is a leak from the roof being messed up and is just molding staining from occasional rain, then you can fix it quickly. Probably without spending an arm and a leg. However if this is consistent water damage from a dripping source you have bigger problem and need help from a plumber. To stop the leaking of water from the street once you have found exactly where the leak is coming from. This can prove very costly if you don't find the leak quickly. Just a little bit more advice on the bleach or vinegar. For deep down mildew, I use bleach, like in grout, but I need to mix the bleach with baking soda and leave it on the surface of what ever I am cleaning in order for it to work. the bleach does kill mildew. Not mold and you have to let it set. Vinegar on the other hand will attack mold before it can spore. You must use the distilled and they sell it in huge bottles in almost every grocery store. So you don't have to buy it at a industrial supply store or anything.
>>
>>991553
The water damage is just from rain, I had the house inspected before I made the offer. ILloyd be doing the roof myself with a few friends from work who have done this before. I'm not to worried about water damage since it has a nice tarp over it and had been fixed to the roof so water won't keep coming in. The mold is my biggest worry since I've never dealt with it or done any drywall work.
>>
>>991556
I'll be doing the roof*
>>
1. Get a gasmask,
2 seal the doors and open windows if any
Bleach it and rub it off
Get a heat cannon andrir the place out.
Bleach it again and remove the seals.

Should be enough
>>
1. Get a gasmask,
2 seal the doors and open windows if any
Bleach it and rub it off
Get a heat cannon andrir the place out.
Bleach it again and remove the seals.

Should be enough
Ow yeah, you can hire heat cannons, heat it full time for 3 days and it should be alright, dont breath in it and bleach the whole thing and itll be as fresh as can be
Unless you did a bad job on the roof ;))
>>
File: WIN_20160510_17_19_06_Pro.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160510_17_19_06_Pro.jpg
111 KB, 1280x720
Good to hear on the roof part. Sorry for being away. I don't recommend a heat canon unless you where you stay is so damp that you can smell the mold in the air already. In which case I would this (see attached photo) on the non-porous surfaces of your house. Make a bleach for the porous surfaces and leave it to set for at least six hours. When you come back you can mist it with vinegar lightly and let it dry for another two.

We had to do this with the house that we are in now. No mold has returned. I know that they say you are not supposed to use bleach on porous surfaces that's why I found the paste works best. Make the paste with the consistency of melted cream cheese. Smooth, white and easy to smear on. It will dry very quickly. Don't wipe it off right away. Leave it on for a few hours for max results and yes it will work on drywall but, do not over do it.
>>
>>991480
so because you believe bleach is a cure all for every problem, without fact, logic, or any reasoning, you think it's bad advice? it's not my fault you're an idiot.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vinegar+to+kill+mould
>>
>>991787
>mould
You suicide bombed your own argument.
>>
So I can use bleach paste in drywall? It's not very thick and it hasent seem to gotten threw to the inside of the walls.
>>
>>991468
>use vinegar to kill the spores
>because acid!
>make the vinegar even better by adding baking soda!

Vinegar (an acid) mixed with baking soda (a base) will neutralize the acidity, and if you add enough baking soda youll turn the mix into into a mild base
>>
Mold is a nightmare.

First and foremost is to correct the water infiltration problem, which you're doing by replacing the roof.

Now its time to weigh the balances. If the mold is on the drywall then its usually accepted that the best course to take is to strip out the drywall completely. You need to get to the wood iunderneath to see where its at too in terms of mold infestation.

Replacing drywall is relatively straight forward with the biggest problems being cutting out your electrical box access. Measure twice, cut once. And also using contractor mud that you mix up and not the premade stuff that's wet in the pail. Contractor mud CURES while drywall putty DRIES.

Seal off the room from the house and set up a powerful fan to extract air outside so the room is at a negative pressure to the rest of the house. Wear a respirator at all times, anf if its really bad, wear a disposable suit or launder clothes on hot water with laundry soap and TSP and dry it until hell looks like a garden oasis.

Clean surface mold from wood surfaces with a spray bottle of TSP+Water and a rough sponge. DO NOT SOAK any area where mold has infiltrated. This includes bleach, vinegar, tsp solutions and even lye solutions. Soaking water can aid mold growth. And the only thing from these solutions that will soak into porous surfaces is the water. Ideally you would run a dehumidifier in the sealed room after drywall removal and cleaning for multiple days after treatment. This will dry out the wood and spaces water has infiltrated.

If your problem is a single external wall in multiple rooms treat rooms individually to minimize living impact. Common walls between rooms should be treated at the same time.

>src. Landlord with 50+ property renovations.
Trust me, when it comes to mold on drywall, tear it out and worry about the wood behind it. You're only putting a bandaid on the problem by treating the drywall.
>>
>>992670
Forgot to add that the TSP solution will leave a layer of TSP on treated surfaces once allowed to fully dry. It acts as a long lasting fungicide and biocide.

The shame with TSP is that many states have blanket banned it out of unsubstantiated claim that home use of phosphates contribute significantly to algal blooms. Despite the fact that the home use market share of phosphate useage was dwarfed by an order of magnitude industrially and furthermore agriculturally.
As a result there are conflicting reports on TSP's effectiveness on not only cleaning and its chellating effectivess because of the release of so called "phosphate free" TSP agents.

The box will say somewhere "contains: tri-sodium phosphate" if its the real deal.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.