[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Structure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: _20160505_204815.jpg (922 KB, 2315x1456) Image search: [Google]
_20160505_204815.jpg
922 KB, 2315x1456
OK guys. My gazeebo finally collapsed. No I did not build it. I know it wasn't the best design for the area, but it stood for nearly 20 years if not longer.
Anyway it's time to rebuild and I'd like to make something more permanent. Probably out of steel because we have a fire pit under it. The previous wood was extremely week from being dried out from heat.
Also get around 6ft of snow in the area.
Any suggestions that won't break the bank?
My thoughts were gabion pillars and a steel frame roof. But I have no idea how strong the roof needs to be or what metals to use.
>>
>>989195
Wood weak from being dried out? You must be trolling.
>>
>>989195
I's just use some Adjustable Split Jack Posts and put the roof back up. If you need it higher than what those can do, just make some short block pillars for them to rest on.
>>
>>989206
It was so dried out right above the fire that it split extremely easy.
>>989208
Tried that at first. Then the whole thing disintegrated. So I dismantled it.
>>
>>989211
Being dry and dry rot are not the same thing. Dry rot is caused by fungus.
>>
>>989195
I'd pour some footings and secure in the largest pressure treated beams I can find

if heat is that much of an issue, move the fire from under it and build it next to it instead
>>
Did you died?
>>
>>989236
Lol yes.
>>
>>989195
sounds like beetles got to your wood, or wood worms.. [fungus too]

what ever it was, it broke down the wood causing it become punky and then the roof weight made it fail. from what I can tell by your picture. the main supports where just stuffed into the ground.

you can rebuild this setup, but do a few things differently.

Dig a hole 5 feet deep. pour 2 feet of gravel into the hole. now take your log, cut it to length [remember to add 3 feet for being underground] and peel the bark off, VERY important to peel the bark. bark creates basically a bug and fungus condo. now go to the homedepot or Canadian tire, what ever place around you, you can buy a blowtorch for a propane tank, and a bucket of tar. pretty much any tar will work.. just make sure its tar and not tar paper. we need raw tar here. and a large natural fibre handbrush/broom.. you can use a normal broom, just gonna have to cut the fibres short and cut the handle off.

now get your thing of tar, and coat about 5 feet up your post from the bottom up. get it on there as best as you can. leave the bucket out in the sun beforehand to get warm. once you've got your tar slopped on. get your blowtorch and broom. put your flame on as low as you can, and start to sweep back and forth on the applied tar. until it becomes soft and ALMOST runny. should be slightly more runny then peanut butter. use your broom to spread it around evenly. DO NOT COAT THE BOTTOM OF THE pole, you want to leave it the raw wood! just don't coat it! AT ALL. its okay if a little tar slops around the bottom when warm, but try to scrape anything more then 1/2" covering off.

Repeat the steps until you have 3 coats of tar on the post.

Now drop your post in your holes, check for plum and level. and fill in the holes with dirt. no concrete needed.

if you don't like the look of the tar above the surface. latex primer and latex paint can be used to paint the tarred section above ground.
>>
>>989247
Telephone pole?
>>
>>989247
>>989253

Very similar. Older telephone poles were treated with creosote. But I have seen tar used as well.

It's not pretty, but it works!
>>
File: 3915_01.jpg (86 KB, 575x335) Image search: [Google]
3915_01.jpg
86 KB, 575x335
>>989253
evidence of japans early telephone system.

never wondered why the feet or tops of the torii gates were black?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.