[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bolt Removal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: IMAG0122.jpg (100 KB, 890x559) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0122.jpg
100 KB, 890x559
Got some heavily corroded bolts on my toilet seat hinge.

What's the easiest way to remove them?

Tried
-Plenty of WD40
-Melting the plastic nuts off, they're positioned in a way thats too awkward to reach so I gave up
>>
>>988729
Dremil with a little cutting disk.
>>
Cut/grind a slot in them and apply a large slotted screwdriver with a big bar on it.
>>
Hack saw with the blade on the 45 degree angle.
>>
Had the same problem this weekend gone.

I applied plenty WD40.
Tried the cutting a groove with a hacksaw to use a flat blade screw driver but it was far too corroded.

Ended up using a 10mm drill bit to drill the head off. Applied plenty WD40 as I went as this sort of thong will dull a drill bit in no time.

Once it was near enough gone I used a drift pin and hammer to knock the bolt through the hole.
>>
Remove WD40, wash with water, dry, come back after one year
>>
>>988729
i use brake cleaner or powder blast (gun cleaner from walmart) to loosen rust because i'm a madman
torch lighter to melt plastic (ronson jetlite from walmart, next to the zippos) , but a dremel would be much better for that
>>
>>988762
You obviously haven't discovered acetone/ATF.

I PROMISE YOU IT IS BETTER THAN ALL OTHER LOOSENING SOLUTIONS
>>
>>988935
>You obviously haven't discovered acetone/ATF.

I have but it's a pain to mix and I don't have a refillable spray can.
>>
>>988962
Haha oh yeah. Sorry

>I'm always a smart ass when I'm day-drunk
>>
>>988729
dremel a slot in each bolt, then remove with heavy screwdriver head on a long handle
>>
>>988935
I tend to use what i have laying around. I use gun cleaning shit because i shoot guns more often than i replace shitter bolts
I really need to buy more chemicals and tools. All i have in the house right now is like, silicon based lubricant, hoppes #9, Rem oil, and powder blast
>>
pierce the bolt with a quicksteel drill bit
>>
>>988962

>it's a pain to mix
no it's not.

>I don't have a refillable spray can.
buy one
>>
Voting for hacksaw. I had this same problem a few months back and a hacksaw and a little elbow grease took care of it no problem.
>>
>>988729
Try pb blaster
>>
>>988935
This guy knows what is up.

Mechanic friend recommended this to me years ago. Thought it was bullshit until I had to redo my breaks on my beater. Worked like magic.

Now I keep an oil can with it premixed in it. Just have to remember to shake it like a madman before you use it because it separates.
>>
use a hacksaw in the horizontal position
saw between the base of the plastic and the head of the bolt
the plastic will protect the bowl while you cut the head of the bolt off
you can tell when your done because the bolt falls on the floor
>>
step 1: buy and install new toilet
step 2: done

Seriously, wrestling with a shitty old toilet for the sake of few bucks isn't worth it.
>>
File: BCMC-8-8.jpg (69 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
BCMC-8-8.jpg
69 KB, 600x400
shiiieeet. Too bad it's on porcelain, if it was on something more durable I'd say chisel it out like a rivet.
>>
File: 076812069160.jpg (201 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
076812069160.jpg
201 KB, 900x900
Why is everybody telling him to fuck around with the rusted steel bolt head?

Just saw and cut the plastic nuts off.
>>
>>989376
Careful, that's probably the most flammable/explosive stuff you now possess. Fuckin terrifies me, anyway
>>
>>990719
>Just saw and cut the plastic nuts off.

>>988729
>plastic nuts ... they're positioned in a way thats too awkward to reach so I gave up

lern 2 read
>>
>>990735
So he could stop being a weenie and saw them off from the top
>>
>>990745
>saw them off from the top

been suggested:
>>990532
>use a hacksaw in the horizontal position
>saw between the base of the plastic and the head of the bolt
>the plastic will protect the bowl while you cut the head of the bolt off
>you can tell when your done because the bolt falls on the floor
>>
>>990735
>they're positioned in a way thats too awkward to reach so I gave up

I disbelieve, pics of these supposedly inaccessible nuts.

Are we supposed to believe there are counter-bores for the toilet seat nuts?

This would be the 1st toilet on the planet made that way.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.