[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/electrician/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: active-denial-system-chart.jpg (34 KB, 480x355) Image search: [Google]
active-denial-system-chart.jpg
34 KB, 480x355
What sort of wattage is appropriate for an microwave beam with a maximum focal range of 50 feet?
I have a standard 800W rated microwave to disassemble, looking to deter animals that keep wandering around my property without killing them.
>>
>>988682
>rubber bullets are non-lethal
>>
>>988686
Yeah, but rubber bullets make noise and aren't as cool.
>>
>>988690
What are you talking about, rubber boolits are colder than microwaves
>>
>>988693
But can you fry a crowd of Urban Youths in one clean sweep, using rubber bullets? I think not. Invisible pain rays are clearly the way of the future.
>>
>>988694
Doesn't sound as scary either, so easier to justify "accidental" deaths and burn scars. It's their own fault for having anything metal near their skin!
>>
gl making 95ghz radiation OP.
>>
Bonus points the guy in the image is a nigger.
Also nah op just get an electric fence if its larger animals. This project is far too much work for what you want to do.
And it its squirrels and rodents hire an exterminator they are pests.
>>
Are you planning to add a deflector to focus waves into a beam? Also, how are you going to power it? Interested in making microwave rifle [spoiler]muh fallout[/spoiler] out of it.
>>
>>988682
>wear tinfoil hat
>???
>microwave is kill
>>
>>988682
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/animalaway-ultrasonic-animal-deterrent-with-pir-activation-n71cy
>>
>>988753
>2022 Anno Domini
>squirrels now wear tinfoil hats
>>
What other /diy/ builds can you make with microwave parts?
>spot welder
>arc welder
>general metal melter
>low volt emergency generator

Anything else?
>>
>>988714
Out of curiosity, what would it take to generate unmodulated, high-power EHF radiation? Could it be done with a magnetron?
>>
>>988714
Of course it could, they just get really small and thus expensive and hard to build. Also:
>21st century
>using a magnetron for anything else then heating food
c'mon man, tech has advanced a bit since WW2
>>
>>988996
>shitty HERF weapon
>jammer
>crappy high power supply
>anything small that involves sheet metal
>>
What you're trying to do has been done before, with very limited success. The problem is power density. 800-1000 watts is a lot of power, but even with a parabolic dish, it spreads out a lot.
>http://mail.blockyourid.com/~gbpprorg/mil/herf1/index.html
They don't have a lot of real data on this page but they do say "it feels like walking in front of a fire", which probably means it's not enough to deter any people or animals at any appreciable range.

Keep in mind, the greatest danger when working with microwave radiation is your eyes. The lenses of your eyes don't have enough blood flow to effectively cool them. The heat caused by microwaves can give you cataracts. And, of course, it can burn your skin.
>>
Semi-related question.

If someone was a nut job and tried to use these on people, how would one go about detecting or detering it? I've read online that people have weaponized household microwaves to use against people.

Would an osciloscope detect the beam/waves?
>>
>>989886
Put a fluorescent lightbulb in your pocket.
If it lights up, then you're either being struck by lightning, a nuclear bomb exploded in mid-air above you, or someone's trying to shoot you with microwave beams.
>>
>>989908
To deter it you need to reflect it. So carry a giant ass mirror with you.

You could also make a faraday cage with grid density the length of a microwave, but that's basically impossible to make mobile. Could be good for a car though.
>>
>>989886
>detecting
Does it feel like your skin is in fire for no obvious reason? Do you see some faggot pointing a parabolic antenna at you?
>detering
Walk away from the said faggot. Or throw some rocks. Or if you're American, simply shoot him.
>I've read online that people have weaponized household microwaves
The post above yours seems to have some info about the (low) efficacy of those weaponized microwaves.
>Would an osciloscope detect the beam/waves?
Oscilloscope isn't really a proper instrument for that. A crystal receiver with some indicator would serve you better.

>>989350
This isn't much different from heating food and tubes are still good alternatives when you need lots of power at very high frequencies.
>>
File: tinfoilhatsquirrel.jpg (35 KB, 291x382) Image search: [Google]
tinfoilhatsquirrel.jpg
35 KB, 291x382
>>988822
They laughed at me when I told them the bird food was poisoned.
>>
>>989395
>The lenses of your eyes don't have enough blood flow to effectively cool them. The heat caused by microwaves can give you cataracts.
Which might be one of the reasons why it's still in development. Deterrence through threat of legal mutilation. Just like chopping off fingers, but more time efficient and politically correct.
>>
>>989909
Just wear a tinfoil hat
>>
>>988682
The government already has a system that causes pain without injury

>taxes
>>
>op really wants to punish drivers that cut him off in traffic
>inserts 2 heavy duty magnetrons in his cars' headlights
>highbeams 2 billion rads into the back of offending drivers head
>>
File: AKIFfnb.jpg (909 KB, 1483x1483) Image search: [Google]
AKIFfnb.jpg
909 KB, 1483x1483
>>989395
At the time that came out my friend who's into microwave and mag fields estimated the power around 25 MW. Dunno if he's right, but he's pretty smart.
>>
>>991563
25mW, maybe.
>>
I dont know much about these things but I know theyre oatented so look up some patents maybe youll figure something out
>>
STOP OP

What you're building is called a Herf gun and is extremely dangerous and cruel. Specifically because it will blind anything that's in the beam even for a split second. The cornea has no blood to cool it down. It relies mostly on tears, air, and evaporation cooling. Being made of water it will get VERY hot in the presence of a microwave beam very quickly. Hence blinding people or animals in less than a second. It's more humane just to kill them.

Not to mention it's very illegal weapon and against rules of /diy/ to post
>>
File: AS2543[1].jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
AS2543[1].jpg
56 KB, 640x480
>>989395
>>991610
>>989977

would something like this protect your eyeballs, assuming the mesh is metal?
>>
>>991610
well you're no fun
>>
>>991686
No. You'd have to place your skull in a Faraday cage to shield yourself from microwave radiation.

I need to reiterate how illegal it is to try to weaponize this. As in prohibited by international law.

If you really want something to deter animals you should look into something ultrasonic. Like a directional dog whistle or one of those ultrasonic dog trainers.
>>
>>991710
>I need to reiterate how illegal it is to try to weaponize this. As in prohibited by international law.

I am curious, what does count as weaponizaition?
Does it start by creating such a device or only when actually killing someone?

I'm not going to look it up.
>>
>>992342

It depends on race and religion as to whether you're an inventor or a terrorist.
>>
>>991686
its possible, make sure the holes are smaller than the wavelength and the sheet is thicker than the skin penetration depth and also you need to ground it to the emitter.
it would be better to just not point it at your face though.
>>
>>991554
>magnetron
>rads
also
>rads
Did you grow up in the fucking '50s?
>>
>>988694
Golden opportunity missed.
>Invisible pain rays are clearly the wave of the future
>>
>>992783
b-but the cube thing that generates microwave from electricity is called a magnetron, anon-senpai
>>
>>992783
The rad is a measurement of absorbed radiation, my guy.
>>
>>992870
I never denied that, but you don't measure microwaves in rads, you dinglefuck

>>992892
>my guy
Nice meem'ing there autismo. Nevermind the fact that rads are an obsolete unit that hasn't seen significant use since the '70s, and that it's a unit for ionizing radiation, not fucking microwaves.
>>
>>988682
>a maximum focal range of 50 feet?
>looking to deter animals that keep wandering around my property without killing them

So you mind shooting them but not giving them and yourself cancer?
>>
>>991709
Also a warcrime crime against humanity and an atrocity to operate it you'd get the same kind of response if you'd let off a small nuke.
>>
Just think what they do to ham radio operators.

>now times that by 100x
>>
File: priggered.png (88 KB, 301x342) Image search: [Google]
priggered.png
88 KB, 301x342
>>993080
>getting rump roasted over a joke
>getting double rump roasted when shitposter corrects you
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.