[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/, What's the easiest way to strip paint from a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 20160503_184630.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160503_184630.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Hi /diy/,

What's the easiest way to strip paint from a radiator without buying expensive sand blasting equipment?

There's about 2 or 3 layers of paint on it which is cracking and flaking in some parts (left by previous home owners). Right now I'm taking it off by gently flaking it off with a scraper/stanley knife, which is taking a long time. I'm half tempted to take off the parts that are flaking and just paint it all. Thanks.
>>
>>988056
soak it in acetone, then wirewool go over the whole thing, in acetone... wear gloves etc
>>
Try a heat gun.
>>
File: 51fT+9e6AAL._SY300_[1].jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51fT+9e6AAL._SY300_[1].jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>988056

Paint stripper.
>>
File: PB02.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
PB02.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
This fucker will do the job but also takes some time.
>>
>>988062
>>988066

Something like this?

http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-paint-varnish-remover-1l/262313_BQ.prd

It's a double radiator, hoping to have it done in the next few days.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
>>
Just lightly sand it to remove and smooth out anything flaking then paint over the whole thing.

It's rarely worth stripping something bare unless it's an antique cast iron that's worth soemthing
>>
>>988075
Yep on second thoughts sandpaper is perfect for your reasons. If you start chemically stripping it will become a mess, when all you need is to sand everything for good adhesion.

Don't forget to use radiator paint (if you intend it to last longer than 5 years)
>>
>>988056
listen op
listen very carefully
and trust me
i have been where you are

buy a new radiator

also here is a bonus:
don't paint your radiators

unless you don't care about the finish in which case just paint whatever is left that doesn't come off with a stiff broom
>>
>>988056

honestly i would get a new radiator, i would imagine you will eventually get pin hole leaks once the surface has been exposed to air like this, could be wrong.
>>
>>988066
This, but get the citrus based Zinser MagicStrip or the CitriStrip

It works every bit as good as the really toxic shit, but is so much less harsh on you. You dont even have heavy duty paint to strip, I have stripped and repainted heavy bicycle coats of paint easily with the stuff.

It says not to breath and not to get on your skin, but I have had no issues with it on bare skin or without a respirator.

The regular stripper, watch the fuck out. Stuff is pretty scary
>>
>>988056

Wont the metal oxidise and rust into shit with no paint?
>>
>>988056
Have it dipped in acid. It isn't very expensive to do. Powder coating companies will be able to do it.
>>
painting a radiator is like adding insulation to it... many layers of paint are going to inhibit the heat transfer because of the many layers of paint.

you wouldnt paint the radiator in your CAR!
>>
I take my truck and motorcycle parts to a monument shop. They all use heavy industrial sandblasters to cut lettering and can safely depaint the entire radiator. You can then paint it with a quality paint like Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. No primer, coats nicely, tough as fuck. It's so good many people, self included, use it on motorcycle frames and wheels.

Blasting is cheap and much less hassle than stripping it yourself. I have an air compressor and small blaster but fuck that, monument dudes hook me up and I get a nice clean part with plenty of "tooth" for coating. Works fine for powder coating too, and powder coating can be cheap too.
>>
>>988155
Old copper radiators were painted, LIGHTLY, with black paint. We don't customarily paint modern aluminium radiators because that metal forms a protective oxide and won't corrode quickly.
>>
I would wire brush the loose off, then take a wire wheel and just get 85% of the paint off wipe down with acetone. After letting it dry I would go ahead and paint it. It will turn out pretty decent. But that extra 15% paint may be a bitch to get.
>>
>>988129
Now that summer's coming you might be able to run by a pool store and get it dipped there, they usually dip pool filters in acid to clean them.
>>
>>988068
This. A wire wheel will do the job well, get one of the cup shape ones for a 4" grinder.
>>
What metal is it made of and how is it joined?
>>
>>988056
Has anyone in this thread ever heard of goof off and some goddamn elbow grease?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.